main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Here's Some Money, Go See A Swap Thing: DCU/Elseworlds Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Jul 2, 2013.

1. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Strawberry or raspberry jam ?

2. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    [​IMG]

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Finally got around to watching the Snyder Cut.

Overblown, overbearing, hyperbolic - at times, yeah, but it also has a very clear aesthetic and style.

One surprise was how fast I adjusted to the 4:3 format. Another was how much the new material added and how spacing it out made the story woprk far better. There were also clearer links to both MoS and BvS. Darkseid, green lanterns, Martian Manhunter are the obvious ones but there's probably more I missed.

The biggest surprise was that I found the supposedly cliffhanger ending to not really be so. Or rather it ended in a way that hinted at future stories that might or might not happen but it didn't like a "to be continued", leave everything hanging never to be concluded. Maybe in earlier versions it did, but knowing this was it for him, Snyder took the edge off of it.

Do the infamous slo-mo effects work? Yeah, they do. From the off DC went, via Snyder, with a "gods among us" approach. This set them apart from Marvel's more grounded, "anyone can become a hero" take. But in doing this, it meant they had to amp up the powers - so they did. In the Snyder Cut, there is the most distilled sense of this - the idea that they have to be slowed down because it would be too fast without it.

I have no idea how anyone would see this in the cinema but for an afternoon, with liberal use of the pause button for snacks and refuelling? It was a fun way to spend a Sunday.

BigAl6ft6 and Adam of Nuchtern like this.
  4. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013

I need it.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  5. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    A title like “Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom” is the kind of pulpy nonsense I want from this movie.

6. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    I hope the Lost Kingdom is populated with more ridiculous and strange sea creatures.

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I want a full orchestra of sea creatures, not just a percussion octopus!

8. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Lost Kingdom...that sounds like a ride at Legoland.

:p

9. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    The “Lost Kingdom” was one of the few untouched lore-threads they had in the movie; almost everything else got cashed in on. My hopes for ideas they could tackle and reinvent? Kordax, the Dead King, Hila the Siren, King Shark.

10. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    And now we have an Instagram post with the symbol on Flash's new costume.

11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    in "today in dc comics," another social media spam campaign by the snyder cultists was dwarfed by the revelation of this

12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  13. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Things that make it hard to sell toys, according to DC editorial directives over the years: any references to masturbation, implied oral sex, naughty words.

Things that do not make it hard to sell toys, according to DC editorial directives over the years: graphic dismemberment and decapitations, on-panel sex, naughty words as long as they aren’t in a comic book (which might still feature the other two).

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  14. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    in the animated film adaptation of "the killing joke," they added a scene in which bruce and barbara have the sex, in uniform. it was tremendously divisive, because of course, no such thing happens in the original comic. given that the two shared the same title, and it's possibly the most famous comic story of all time, most were expecting a 1:1 adaptation.

now, on some obscure hbo max animated series, dc is choosing to take a stand for old-school family values. how bizarre, how bizarre.

15. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Oh lord I forgot about that Killing Joke adaptation entirely. That makes this even stupider.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  16. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    I'm all for injecting sophisticated, multilayered storytelling into American pop culture myths, but frankly, I've always been disturbed by a swath of the fanbase that hankers for explicit violence, profanity and sex in traditional superhero stories. It's no surprise Alan Moore regrets letting the genie out of the bottle with Killing Joke, as there is an underlying adolescent coarseness to this approach. One can craft an emotionally resonant Batman story without showing him schtup his partner on a rooftop.

Year One is my absolute favorite Batman story, and there's nothing in it that pushes boundaries, save for those of the artform itself.

Sarge likes this.
  17. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Nvm. Forget I said anything.

18. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    This’d be the story that decided Catwoman needed to be a prostitute to satisfy Frank Miller’s Madonna/Whore obsession? That Year One?

Oh, and frankly we should dispense with the heavily marketed notion that these characters that should’ve been public domain decades ago are “pop culture myths.” Nobody literally worships Superman.

19. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    I have no objections to the decision, given the noir approach. As presented, it was a hell of a lot more restrained than Snyder's Barker-esque skinned-Joker, or Bruce Timm's perennial obsession of a May-December romance between Batman and his best friend's college-aged daughter.

20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I’m just saying bemoaning excesses in the medium while lauding the accomplishments of the other writer who injected too much grimdark into superheroes (but was way less deft on the execution end of things) is perhaps an unstable position.

Edit: FWIW I actually used to agree pretty strongly with Moore’s assessment until it occurred to me the issue is not working through those impulses (an interaction with fiction as old as fiction) so much as copyright owners deciding who gets to work through which impulses and picking and choosing based on the whims of a few power players and some graphs.

grd4 likes this.
  21. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015

How one of the many memes coming out this storu says,

Batman begins but his ladies never finish

22. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    My favorite was people talking about how that is a problem but the entire added scene in the animated Killing Joke with Batman and Batgirl was not.
    Or, the whole recent run where Bane brutally murders a family member in front of Robin and at that time Batman is off with Catwoman on a beach.
    Or, the time characters have been beaten to death, maimed, or disfigured.

But apparently those sell toys just fine.

However, a sex joke in an adult animated comedy is where the line is drawn.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Don't forget the infamously evergreen classic of killing and cutting up a hero's girlfriend and stuffing the bleeding body parts in a fridge.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  24. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I'm pretty sure that is how they started the Build a Figure idea for DC Universe and Marvel Legends. Because once you normalize dismemberment, you can easily package body parts of a figure separately to build one. :p

25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So Adult Swim Canada had "Death in the Family" on Demand which I gave a shot and then basically Under the Red Hood started playing. Which I'm okay with, maybe someone just mislabeled the file but I'll totally watch Under the Red Hood again. but then it wasn't. It was 30 minute recap of Under the Red Hood by Batman voiced by Bruce Greenwood and nobody else in the stellar voice cast (although a few clips of John DiMagio Joker which is great). I did some mild googling and Death in the Family is an interactive bluray movie or whatever but the VOD/on demand one is this pretty awkward recap version of Under the Red Hood. But then there's a bunch of DC Animated Shorts tagged onto the next half, Sargent Rock, Adam Strange, Phantom Stranger, Death. The first few were really solid but the Death one was downright spectacular, didn't know I really needed to see it but I did and it was great. And I guess it did it's job cuz after I watched it I really wanted to watch the real full version of Under the Red Hood again so shelled out the 10 bucks for digital version of it. Jensen Ackles Red Hood performance is spectacular. (and irritatingly missing from Death in the Family). Probably one of my top 3 DC Animated films, and it's not DCAU either! Maybe actually better than the original comic story. There's no Superboy Prime Infinite Crisis continuity punch Jason Todd resurrection in this one.

Other top 2 DC Animated films for me would be Batman: Mask of the Phantasm which hit Crave OnDemand recently. Super fun, great version of the Joker in this flick that's somehow even nastier than he is on the TV show, like this Joker is just living alone at a trashed out world's fair not even with Harley or any goons, just himself and bunch of robots. Other best one is Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker. And when I purchased the digital version there were 2 available and I was freaking out that one may have been the edited one. But I think it was just a google movies fluke as I hope the original edited RotJ doesn't exist anymore. Like Amanda Waller said, hopefully they tossed in a hole and then threw away the hole (maybe it was just an early 2000s DVD fluke). Anyone ever see the compare and contrast video? Speaking of WB being overbearing with interfering with their DC superhero projects.

They added seat belts, at least!