main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Here's Some Money, Go See A Swap Thing: DCU/Elseworlds Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I liked her in In the Heights but... she wasn't the strongest in it. So I'll be curious to see how she carries a movie of her own.

2. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    If they really wanted to make a good Batgirl movie…

…They’d just make a Cassandra Cain one.

3. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    They already botched Cass with Birds of Prey....

Stephanie Brown would also be nice to see. But DC is fixated on Babs. Even though she is 100% better as Oracle.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  4. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    A long time ago, when someone on some message board was pondering what would be a good “budget” superhero movie from DC, I suggested Cass Cain’s Batgirl - simply because if you find a good martial arts movie maker, and a decently capable actress, you could make it work.

Juliet316 , CosmoHender and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The Flash movie is going to solidify the DC Multiverse same way that Loki solidified the MCU multiverse so doesn’t really matter which canon/universe/whatever this Batgirl is. Although I get the feeling DC isn’t going to make it as explicitly a multiverse as Marvel is. It’ll just be different stuff. But anyway Batgirl flick, finally, huzzah!

I saw in the Heights, she sang a few decent songs, I believe she had a dancing on the walls bit that may be apt for playing someone swinging atop Gotham rooftops so good enough for me.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  6. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    This is our first clue that the Batgirl movie is actually going to be a musical.

7. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    With the lyrics, "Everything's up to date in Gotham City."

:p

Juliet316 , Sarge and godisawesome like this.
  8. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Y’know, ever since my buddy and I did a fun, goofy podcast, I’ve been waiting for someone to write an official Batman comedy where they ask people why they stay in Gotham if it’s so horrible.

…Because given the average education of the villains, you got to figure the schools are FANTASTIC!

(Ethics classes, not so much.)

9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think Grant Morrison said once that Gotham has a thriving night life / entertainment district (probably why Bruce Wayne can keep up the billionaire playboy ruse so easily) or any way that it's not exactly a constantly crime ridden cesspool. They throw some big banging, neon soaked parties in the Schumacher Batman movies that everyone seems to attend. (and are inevitably attacked by Two-Face or Mr. Freeze)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  10. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    I’ll allow it. But only if we get “A superstitious cowardly lot”

11. CosmoHender

CosmoHender Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2016
    It doesn't matter if Cass was in Birds of Prey, because Warner Bros. has made it very clear that they don't care about continuity at this point. So if Warner Bros. really wanted to make a film about a Batgirl of color, they would make a Cassandra Cain film. Otherwise, this Batgirl film just feels like pandering in my opinion. I want films with actual heroes of color, not just raceswapped versions of popular white heroes.

12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    so i had no idea that dc animated was doing an injustice adaptation - they just announced the voice cast.

teaser will supposedly attached to the long halloween, part II. (btw, the long halloween, part I is ****ing fantastic)

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Flash set pics. Interesting.

14. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Robofleck

15. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    that 'cycle' is so big and heavy looking i'm not sure what i'd call it

Sarge likes this.
  16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I'd call it 'Compensation.'

17. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    A tank?

18. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Seeing posts about Birds of Prey, and to be honest, I rather enjoyed it. It felt to me like Deadpool if Deadpool was actually fun and had any sense of style (Deadpool was just bland and forgettable, in my opinion).

As far as the DCEU movies go, Aquaman is cream of the crop for me - it's just the right kind of absurd that taps into the schlocky pulp sci-fi adventure stuff that I love. Shazam and Birds of Prey slot in somewhere underneath that, probably tied in second place, and I didn't like Man of Steel, Wonder Woman, or Suicide Squad (and I haven't seen the movies that I didn't list).

The Suicide Squad is looking like it could very well overtake Aquaman as my favorite though - there's nobody making comic book movies right now that really gets it the way James Gunn does. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is far and away my favorite of the MCU so I can't wait to see what he does here. Pretty hyped for my boy Starro.

19. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I overall liked Birds of Prey… but I always felt it had two issues that prevented me from loving it or feeling any desire to watch it again.

The first is that I genuinely think a more “pure” Harley Quinn/Gotham Sirens movie or a more “pure” Birds of Prey film could do much better; as it is, it feels like an awkward case of a decent but under-featured Birds of Prey film interrupting a decent but unfinished Harley Quinn movie, or just a Gotham Sirens story with the Birds of Prey awkwardly stapled on in place of Selina and Pamela.

The second… I’m a Cassandra Cain fan. She shouldn’t be wasted as just a name to attach to an original character. She’s a better Batgirl than Babs, for crying out loud, and it’s a crime that a film with great stunt work that also has Cassandra Cain listed in the cast doesn’t have her as a centerpiece of a major actions scene.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
  21. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Why does the cowl look so enormous? He looks like a bobble head.

22. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    That Stephanie run of Batgirl is probably my favourite run of the character ever so I would love it if they ever did Stephanie Batgirl in live action.

23. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    +2 giant starfish

24. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    wait - Affleck is playing Batman in the Flash movie?

I thought he was done with Batman.

25. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    It's supposedly his last time. Most suspect he's going to disappear as a result of Flashpoint. Unclear then if they just move on to Pattinson in the DCEU or if they set it up so Keaton Batman trains the next heir to the cowl (likely Batgirl)