main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Gaming Retro Gaming Den

Discussion in 'Community' started by Kato Sai, Nov 12, 2022.

1. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Its amazing Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA) only exists because Lost Levels which is SMB2 Japan was too hard for Americans. :)

Lordban and Dagobahsystem like this.
  2. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    It is.

Doki Doki Panic.

The Lost Levels is quite difficult to navigate, imo.

Oh, BTW, been playing Zombies Ate My Neighbors and it's a masterpiece of retro games. The adrenaline rush is absurd, as is the game. Brilliant!

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I really do need to get around to playing ZAMN one day. Made sprites inspired by it for a friend that was making a ZAMN-inspired game but never got around to playing it directly.

I usually swap between Mario and Peach, with an occasional Toad. Luigi's flutteryness and slipperiness made him the hardest to use, IMO. Toad being the fastest/strongest for any pick-up techniques was useful. Not just for sand levels but also for any opportunities involving a subspace door potion, as you could get the most coins/power-ups in the short time limit using him.

Dagobahsystem and Lordban like this.
  4. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Luigi is indeed tough to use, but he's also the only character that can complete every single stage in the game (Peach misses the required jump height for one stage that is Luigi-exclusive, Mario and Toad don't have the jump length for several). Can't quite 100% it - there's a couple of subspace areas where he's not a fast enough grabber to get the health bonus.

Poor Mario. He is indeed distinctly average, and level design is such that one of the other three is invariably a better choice (if he's not eliminated outright by his jumping limitations). It's been a while, but if memory serves, even using Warps, you can't complete the game using only Mario because there's one stage where he can't jump far enough.

Discovered the "lost levels" on the Super NES "Super Mario All Stars" compilation. They were great fun, but did require the kind of twitching skills required for the harder NES platform games :p

Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
    Kato Sai and Dagobahsystem like this.
  5. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    ZAMN is one of the best games I've ever played, hands down. And contains so many references to old school Sci Fi and horror tropes. The difficulty is intense after stage 3, and there are like 55 levels, omg!

I can safely say I'll never beat ZAMN, even in co-op which is an awesome option the cart provides. And also passwords, which I've not used as still learning the game and enjoy restarting after my initial deaths.

@The2ndQuest
    You are so on point re: Luigi in SMB2.
    He is definitely the hardest to use, imo.
    I have a buddy who beat the whole game using only Luigi and it baffled us then and now.

Well said on Toad too, as his ability to pick up so quickly both in game and in subspace can really pay dividends as far as longevity later on.

In contrast, Peach picks veggies like a Princess might do. Yet, her ability to float and glide horizontally is definitely a fan favorite.

I love SMB2 so much. Hard to choose, bit I think it's me fave Mario game all time.

And from now on when I play the game, I shall limit to using Mario only for a new and fun challenge, at least for me.

Edit:
    Well said @Lordban
    Interesting about Mario's jump inability at that stage. Sounds legit, although I've never tried it.
    There are definitely stages where Luigi ought to be the go to, no doubt. The difficulty level is greatly amplified in those stages if using Mario or Toad, for example.

Toad is the sand man for sure. Otherwise, tough sell.

Kato Sai and Lordban like this.
  6. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Super Mario Bros. 2 (American version :p) is lowkey one of my NES faves. I've beaten the game completely without warping using each character for all stages (i.e. four playthroughs). While some might have to miss out on a Super Mushroom due to gimped jumping, it's certainly possible to beat every stage with every character.

Kato Sai, Lordban and Dagobahsystem like this.
  7. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Impressive! Most impressive.
    How did Mario do on those long vertical jumps? And Toad, for that matter?

Fun fact: I've never used, located, or found any warp stations in SMB2.
    Pretty much news to me.

Whenever I play the original SMB, I avoid warps like the plague. Prefer to collect every item as possible, as time allows, and play each stage.

The happy cloud dropping dude on 4-1 never ceases to inspire fear lol.

Kato Sai, Lordban and Rew like this.
  8. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    As far as I recall, there's no jump in the game (i.e. that's required to clear the level) that Mario and Toad can't make. There are certain bonuses they can't reach, but they can make it to the end of each stage.

Kato Sai and Dagobahsystem like this.
  9. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Good to know, as I'm going to keep my promise and play through SMB2 as Mario only henceforth.

It will be a challenge for sure!

Kato Sai and Rew like this.
  10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There are four warp zone jars in the game. The most famous one is the earliest one (logically) in 1-3, but they all involve using a potion to enter sub-space and then going down a jar while still in sub-space. 1-3's warp involves taking a potion past the "normal" area you would use it, past the entrance into the mountain where there is a lone jar and using it there.

1-3 jumps to World 4, 3-1 jumps to 5, 4-2 jumps to 6 and 5-3 jumps to 7. So, I would say a typical run would be taking 1-3 to 4, playing until 4-2 and jumping to 6 or playing 4 through 5-3 to jump to 7 and finishing the game from there. At least that was the strategy we used as kids. World 7 is really hard, though.

Dagobahsystem and Kato Sai like this.
  11. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    These tips on SMB2 makes me want to play it and see if I can finally beat it.

[​IMG]

Jedimarine, Dagobahsystem and Rew like this.
  12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I did a stream for Mario Day a few years ago for a buddy (he did used retro game sales) and capped it off with a SMB2 run. Sadly, I was not successful on that run (made it to late World 6 or start of World 7, as I recall), but I also hadn't played it for awhile so one or two parts took a couple lives that shouldn't have.

But it is immensely fun to revisit. Being 50% of the basis for the first Mario Bros. cartoon (and much of the spin-off material in books, comics, etc at the time) lent it a larger sense of importance within the franchise that it lost over time. The soundtrack is also highly underrated.

Rew and Kato Sai like this.
  13. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    It's amusing how people can run the spectrum on how difficult the same game can be.

14. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    As someone who managed to beat the original TMNT game for NES without any ROMs, hacks, Game Genies or anything like that, I agree.

15. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    You must be a gaming god! That game is hard! ^:)^

16. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    My strategy was:
    Leonardo for basic exploration, Raphael as backup if Leo got hurt.
    Donatello for boss fights.
    Michelangelo for disabling the dam bombs.

Whichever of the Mike and Raph duo had the most health would be the one to carry the super powerful weapon you find on the rooftops in Stage 3. And then I do NOT use that character again until the Technodrome to get through that absolute nightmare of a gauntlet on the way to Shredder.

Rew, Dagobahsystem and Kato Sai like this.
  17. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    It's about learning about the game and practice and patience.

I've been playing Zombies Ate My Neighbors which has a simple concept, and yet am stuck on Level 3.

There are 55 levels!

Kato Sai likes this.
  18. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Exactly, and every player is different. For example level 55 may be easy to you when you reach it, to another the hardest level.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The Tale of Timmoishere, the Tale...

[​IMG]

People claim to have beaten TMNT, suggesting such a feat is possible, and, yet, the NES I left on over night the one time I managed to get through some of the post-dam content (but never figuring out how to get into the one building that i needed to since the sewer access underneath it had an impossible jump that maybe wasn't meant to be an entrance anyways) says otherwise. :p

I do want to take another crack at it with the Cowabunga Collection eventually. The dam was always a pain but I could always get past it, it was just the stuff afterwards that became a (literal) roadblock (for the Turtle Van).

Kato Sai likes this.
  20. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Oh, I have indeed beaten it. More than once, in fact. Stage 3 is relatively simple in that it’s just a longer version of Stage 1.

Stage 4 is the trickier one in that you have multiple underground locations you need to explore to find the boss, but because of the RNG factors you might get lucky and find the boss on the first try.

Also, Stages 3 and 4 each contain prisons where any turtles you might have lost on the earlier stages are held captive. This is the game’s version of extra lives, making it easier to get to the Technodrome as strong as possible.

Rew, Kato Sai and The2ndQuest like this.
  21. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I've watched a youtube walkthrough of someone beating TMNT. And 'fairly quickly' I might add.

It looked nuts. Just pure insanity lol.

I think I got to JFK airport when I was a kid when it first came out.

Kato Sai likes this.
  22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I should probably add that to my list of games I need to beat. I've beaten Turtles II-IV, so I should really round out the original set, even if it is so different in terms of gameplay. And I suspect the rewind and save state features will help cancel out the unnecessary issues that weren't challenge-related that held me back last time I played (which has admittedly been quite awhile- I picked it up on Wii VC 15 years ago, but didn't really give it a dedicated play through).

Kato Sai likes this.
  23. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Turtle Power!

My favorite was Turtles in Time, which I think may have been SNES of the arcade game?

[​IMG]
    Turtles IV

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Depends on how you define that term. "The Arcade Game" has a very specific connotation for the TMNT franchise if you mean it as an unofficial subtitle rather than a description, as TMNT: TAG was a specific arcade game that was ported to the NES as TMNT II: TAG (with two extra levels). "Turtles in Time" was a second arcade game that made its way to the SNES as TMNT IV: TI- (...ok, can't acronym that one [face_laugh]), TMNT IV: Turtles in Time.

Meanwhile TMNT III was an original game for the NES, but based on the TMNT II: TAG gameplay. But it added things that would show up in later games like special moves for each character (which Shredder's Revenge in particular included).

There was also the GEN TMNT: Hyperstone Heist, which was sort of a slight port of Turtles of Time assets and levels, but mostly integrated into an original plot and levels.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
    Kato Sai likes this.
  25. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    You answered my query! Thank you.

Man my friend and I played Turtles in Time like crazy. It had Super Shredder at the end.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
    The2ndQuest likes this.