main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Return of Clue ~ RPF Edition! -- feedback needed!!

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by padawanlissa, Jan 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    Who wants to join me in the C&G invasion of the role playing domain? Lily? lissa? Kelia? Drabba? Leona? Kiwi? Or Jag, M_M? Who else used to play this in the day . . .

2. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    Come now, you're not going to let C&G lose without a fight, are you? :D

3. padawanlissa

padawanlissa Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    I don't have enough time to play, but I'll be cheering the C&G players on!

4. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    We only need one more C&G player [face_batting]

5. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Nat, why don't you sign up? :p

6. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I was giving everyone else a chance since there are only 4 C&G players and I won last time :p (And now I don't have time; end of semester crunch)

7. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Our RPF edition of Clue was a bit less successful than we had hoped and intended, but we're going to try and remedy that for the future. The idea is to stage an even more successful comeback in C&G. But first, we need some suggestions from you guys. After all, I'm not going to be playing; I'm just the rather perplexed hostess. :p What helpful/insightful/revelation-inspiring feedback can you provide so that we can improve the game? If you didn't play during the last round, what changes can be made so that you'll consider playing?

I'm trying to stimulate this line of conversation in this thread so that we can have somewhat of a discussion about it, but if you'd rather PM a suggestion to either NYCitygurl, DarthXan318, or myself, please feel free to do so.

8. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Well, threatening potential players with a warning if they did not post every 24 hours, then not appearing youself for a week, probably was not the best way to go.

I think the post frequency asked for, was probably a hard ask. Due to technical problems, or social commitments, I found myself unable to achieve that, and really worried about it, which is not conducive to an enjoyable exercise, for me at least.

I would definitely knock out the strongarm tactics.

You did fine on the PMs, but I did not, and still don't see what basis players get for making a case against a suspect. Inside 24 hours. With no description of the body, or chance to check it - I did PM you to ask, remember? No description of any of the other rooms.

I have no idea how you people ran this game before, but it seemed like a really tough ask, once we started.

Hope that helps!

9. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    My first and main question actually stems from that seond last line exactly, Sithy.

Were you trying to achieve a different goal or run the game differently in the RPF than how it was run here in C&G, QGR?

10. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Sithy, the reason we stalled at the beginning is that it was so difficult to get more than three players to make even a first post. Just a first post, before we even really started the game. I was PM'ing people left and right, asking what was up, and most of the time, they weren't even courteous enough to answer. So, to be realistic, I allowed much longer than 24 hours to make a post. Otherwise, the thread would've been locked a month ago, and we would've been having the same conversation, just sooner.

Are you suggesting that, in the future, we extend the allotted posting time? That's logical, and I'd be cool with that.

I was aiming to run it exactly the same way it was run in C&G, Tyi, but with a greater emphasis on the role-playing aspect of things. What was unclear about the PMs?

11. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    I appreciate the greater emphasis on the role-playing -- I'd expect nothing less. :D

I'm not trying to be rude, but I am openly asking this to better understand. Have you ever played Clue (or Cluedo, rather) in RL?

There was nothing unclear about the PMs -- in fact you were quite good with your PMs, something other game hosts can learn from -- but rather, you did play the game differently. I think I questioned this at the time out of curiosity, but just to be clear ... when the game started you PMed us three combinations of suggestions instead of three cards. Which is ... different.

12. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    No problem, I'm trying to figure out what's going on, too, so I appreciate your frankness. I've played it IRL, but I've never played it online. So the issue was that, rather than PM'ing three combinations, I was supposed to PM three individual cards?

This is not three sets, but three cards? I think I'm about to have a duh moment. :p

13. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    That's correct.

If you think about it in RL, three cards are the murder cards, and then the rest of them are dealt out at random (so you could have two rooms + one weapon in your hand [these are the ones that you would PM] or two suspects + one room, etc) and all cards are then in play. This is why there are always more "room" cards to accommodate for the three extra in the total.

The online version we've played here is nearly exactly the same as in RL. Cards are selected, cards are dealt, accusations are made. The difference here is that the host says who reveals what when the round is over instead of each individual. This saves a lot of time as it is primarily game mechanics and so enables more role-playing. Everything is still treated the same, however, so the order of players is important in the revealing (so you still know who, in essence, "passed" if this was in RL and so forth).

If you've played the Cluedo board game before, treat this the same and it'll work great. :D

14. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    All righty, then, summarily:

1. Extend the amount of time allotted for posting.
    2. Fix the card PM thingies.

That's it? That's why we lost half our players before the game started? :p

15. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    I was never answering that question. I was offering feedback. :D

Aiming for 8 players might have been too high. Six players is easily sufficient. Again, though, to be frank, the time troubles are what would have caused the main issue. RPGs require good nurturing to get off the ground. Always have, always will.

16. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Makes sense to me. Thanks very much for your help. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.