main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Mara Jade Skywalker Fan club

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Jedi_Liz, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    I agree it isn't Zahn's style to kill off characters (one of the many things I love about him), but this is Del Rey we're talking about (it is published by Del Rey, isn't it?). And since the HoJ will never be heard from again.... Though I understand very little about the Empire of the Hand, so maybe they could slip in there. Here's hoping!

Though does anyone else think the title "Choices of One" sounds sort of ominous?

kataja - Yes, I often analyze actors and try to decide if they could play certain Star Wars characters, especially Mara. So far I haven't found anyone who even comes close to Mara. I agree Felicia Day looks way too sweet and friendly for Mara.

2. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    That's why I always say that if they ever do an adaptation of the Thrawn Trilogy, it would have to be animated, because NOBODY would live up to the expectation of Mara.

Not to mention Karrde or Thrawn. :p

3. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    I've said the name before, and I'll say it again:

Annie Wersching
    as Mara Jade

What does a good Mara Jade need to be? (click on the attribute)

Emotional

Cold/Cunning

Simply bad-ass

4. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    Sorry, madman, I'm not seeing it. But I doubt I'll ever find an actress I approve of for Mara.

Karrde, on the other hand, I think could be played pretty well by Cliff Simon:

[image=http://www.thehunkies.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Baal_looking_at_Osiris.jpg]

5. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm sorry, I'm totally against the whole "casting of Mara debate". If they were going to make another set of movies, Mara would have to be a totally unknown actress. Also, they would have to get Mark Hamil, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford back, and that is just NOT going to happen.

If they were going to animate TTT, Jeremy Irons would HAVE to voice Thrawn.

6. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    I agree that there is no way to make everybody happy when it comes to casting Mara. But that's no reason why we can't discuss it. :) I also agree that if they were really making movies they should use an unknown actress, but it's pretty hard to discuss unknown actresses, because, you know, they're unknown.

I have to disagree about the original three if they really made a new movie. Twenty years ago I would have agreed that they should stick to the original actors for Han, Luke, and Leia (though I'm not sure the actors would have been interested), but the fact is they are just too old now to play the characters from TTT. Even if they were to skip to a later era where they would be the right age, the fact is Luke, at least, aged a heck of a lot better than Mark Hamill.

But really I just like to find photos of actors who look like characters so I can picture the characters better in my head, which means the actors' current age and availability for actual casting are irrelevant.

I do think I could get behind Jeremy Irons as Thrawn (or at least his voice). :D

7. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    I see your point Briannakin, but then, I can' but think of a thing Mark Hamill once said: if they could make movies without actors he think George would go for it. Ok, can't remember the exact wording and I think it also had soemthing to do wiht George not being an actors director but that reminds me that technology is developin all the time and soon they'll be able to reproduce the actors on screen wihtout thm actually taking part - which means age won't be a problem. I wouldn't be surprised is Star Wars was one of the first to use that kind of technology.

As for casting Mara - to me its a question of trying to make her more vivid as I write my silly stories - and a general need to put a face on what I imagine, I guess. :p

Madman - I haven't seen Annie Wersching on screen, YouTube only and I absolutely adore her. She definitely has the qualities you mention and she cuts through - unlike many actresses you're not one second in doubt that there's a brain behind that sweet face - and for that alone I love her. On her weak side for the Mara part is that she's more rational than fiery (Mara shoudl be that unexplainable both that's so rare to find) + I just can't see her rambling through the forests for a week and still kick ass. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

8. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    I do tend to look for faces for the characters while watching movies or tv, but I haven't found the perfect match yet. Not even close, actually.

So, in my head, I see these characters as they appear in the japanese NJO covers. Everybody looks great on those covers, even the Vong :p.

I think that, if they did a new SW movie based on the TTT, it would probably be a CGI thing.

9. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Hazel: Everybody looks great on those covers, even the Vong

That's a pretty uncanny point actually. :p

I usually complain about how many redheads there are in GFFA but being in London at present, I must say it's not as unusual a haircolor as I've been thinking. In fact - there are redheads everywhere. o_O Fewer of them are that gorgeous, though, as red hair often is accompanied with either very pale of pretty pink facial color. Which can be pretty in its own right - but it's not how I imagine Mara...

10. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I LOVE the Japanese NJO covers. I'm kinda sad they didn't do the same for LOTF and I'm pretty sure they aren't doing it for FOTJ, which is a shame because I would have loved to see Abeloth done in that kind of style. Heck. I just want to SEE Abeloth.

My 'image' of Mara is based off of those covers and fan art. Also, in my opinion, Shannon McRandle does not make a bad Mara,

As for my image of older Luke, I base it off of this pic
    [image=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/4/42/Luke_Skywalker_EA.JPG]

Luke Skywalker truly did age better than Mark Hamill. Though, I saw some pics of him like five years ago and if you compare them to more recent photos, he looks a lot better now for some reason. Maybe that's just me.

NOW, as for Daala, I can only imagine my mother as Daala. I'm sorry, but my mother is of average height with greying copper hair and green eyes. Isn't that how they describe Daala? I guess my mother could pull off Mara, but she just has Daala's shrewd, downright insane personality. Plus both have horrible tastes in men.

11. Mazzic

Mazzic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2000
    The next issue of "Star Wars: Invasion" is scheduled to come out soon! The preview makes me hope that Mara makes an appearance this issue: If the battle of Dantooine is shown...maybe we'll see Anakin and Mara escaping the Vong as Luke comes to their rescue! Here's to hoping!

12. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010

So you DO mean what's in your sig (which is really cool, btw).

Maybe because I never read a book featuring Daala, i have a really hard time imagining her at all, but when I do she always comes out looking like Isard. I know it's wrong, but I can't help it. Copper-headed, green-eyed Daala just feels wrong.

13. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    I'm listening to the latest episode of the Jedi Journals podcast. Around 1:09:49 Zahn starts describing some ideas for future books. Once is the Skywalker family book. Another, in his words, is a book pre-NJO starring:

He said it would be tricky but a lot of fun.

All I have to say about that idea is - HELL YES, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Piper057

Piper057 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 26, 2009
    Wow. Yes! Yes! Yes!

I've tried a lot to find an actress who could be Mara - at least, in my imagination but I didn't suceed. I can see her eyes, her wild mass of hair, her freckles, her figure but a face just slips through my fngers.

Actually, considering her description in books, including height and figure I think she could look like this woman:

[image=http://i026.radikal.ru/1107/b5/a92377254056.jpg]
    [image=http://s51.radikal.ru/i132/1107/71/8eeab11e1d7a.jpg]
    [image=http://s57.radikal.ru/i158/1107/02/924cdca9a53b.jpg]

15. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

[face_dancing] YES [face_dancing] YES [face_dancing] YES [face_dancing]

16. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    I told him I'd start a letter-writing campaign if it got Del Rey to approve that book. :D

17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    You can count me in on that campaign... TIAF.

And a pre-NJO book with Talon/Shada, Mirax/Corran, Luke/Mara, all I can say to that is yowsa and BRING IT ON BABY!
    [face_dancing]
    [face_dancing]

[face_dancing]

18. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yes, I do mean what is in my sig. Plus my mother has a shrill voice and a Newfie accent, which is kinda similar to a Irish accent, so it is kinda like a 'core' accent, which I'd imagine what Daala would have. It is kinda comical to get her mad. Hazel if you ever do decide to read a book featuring Daala and need a good visual, tell me. Then my father is just another story... he started out as a blue eyed, light brown hair, over six foot tall man, but in his 20's did some stupid stuff and ended up blind and dependent on machines. 

ANYWAYS. YOU CAN SLAP ME FOR GETTING OFF TOPIC.

YES!!!! Either book would be EPIC!!!

If you need help with letter writing if it would get the book approved, tell us, please!

I don't normally listen to podcasts, they are so long I can never find the time to listen to them, so they just pile up on my iPod, but maybe I should try again. 

19. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    I will :D

You know, I just remembered that I was watching Iron Man 2 the other day and thought that red-haired Scarlet Johansson could make a pretty passable Mara.

[image=http://static.thehollywoodgossip.com/images/gallery/scarlett-johansson-in-iron-man-2_319x473.jpg] [image=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_R0_FySbUL3g/S738fqPvfUI/AAAAAAAACfY/J7rw0dwIQaI/s1600/Scarlett-Johansson-as-Black-Widow-in-Iron-Man-2-iron-man-9264402-1280-853.jpg] [image=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_R0_FySbUL3g/S738e24pOUI/AAAAAAAACfQ/P7iHgXapaGo/s800/iron-man-2-scarlett-johansson.jpg]

20. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Hazel: I was watching Iron Man 2 the other day and thought that red-haired Scarlet Johansson could make a pretty passable Mara.

I watched it the other night too and I agree she's got the looks and the poses - but while she did all the action scene's very well, I still couldn't see the killer in the quieter scenes. Just wrong "air", if you ask me. [face_thinking] She's the type every guy would try to ask out - Mara's the type no one dares to ask out.

But yeah, she's got the hot looks and she captures Adam Hughes' Mara pretty perfectly. ;)

21. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Actually, I watched that a few weeks ago and thought that she did have some similarities with Mara.

Also, since I know some of you are probably never going to read FOTJ, and since I know some of us really don't like Callista (debatably Mara's biggest foe), I'd thought I'd tell you that Callista's soul is finally with the Force. Yes, the body snatcher is finally offically dead.

22. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Thanks for the info, Briann.

Hey guys, ONE WEEK to go. :D [face_dancing].

(time to start reading Allegiance).

23. haleyskywalker2

haleyskywalker2 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 25, 2010
    I know this is random and off topic, but ya'll should check out this star wars website. Its called www.theforcebook.com and whay it is is a mixture of facebook and twitter and its ONLY for star wars fans. You can chat with other fans and ever Sunday we watch a star wars movie.

Please check it out and possibly join!!
    oh and search for me: haleyskywalker2 :D

24. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    You're welcome. When I read it I was like YES! Now the authors can't give Ben a evil, body snatching step-mom!!!!

YES! I gotta finish VOTF, then Allegiance. I can do it in a week (if nothing else pops up).

Haley, I checked that website out. I may join.

25. GenSkywalker

GenSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 4, 2010
    Very well said, Scarlet Johnsson is drop-dead gorgeous but comes across as too....what's the word???? Nice???