main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Return of the Tiger

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Rogue...Jedi, Feb 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    In a really classy act, Tiger and Nike air a commercial the day before the Masters, capitalizing on the controversy, using Tiger's dad's voice no less. Really? Using your deceased dad? Tiger may very well reach and surpass Jack's record for most majors, but at least Jack will never be known as a scumbag.

Article and commercial

2. Jose-Mourinho

Jose-Mourinho Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 22, 2010
    But his dead dad wants to know if he learnt something!

3. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Yeah, he did. Don't get caught.

4. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    From EW:

2-7PM
    CBS

The Masters

"There will be 93 other golfers playing in the Masters tournament in Augusta, Ga., but all eyes will be on Tiger Woods, who returns to competitive golf after a five-month shame spiral. (You may have read something about it.) Despite all his bogeys off the course, Woods is still the betting favorite to win his fifth green jacket, and CBS is hoping for a record golf audience. Should Woods be among the leaders during the fourth and final round, even your great-aunt who's a nun and doesn't have a television will be calling you for updates at Amen Corner, the trio of adjacent holes that historically makes or breaks Augusta's contenders. Everyone is anxious to see if the fist-pumping Tiger of old has been declawed, or if he can still roar. ?Jeff Labrecque"

5. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006
    I can't believe 54% of respondents are rooting for Tiger Woods to win the Masters versus just 30% for Phil.

6. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I think the media has entirely misjudged the reaction of the audience to Tiger's problems.

7. Jose-Mourinho

Mar 22, 2010
    Did everyone see Mickelson's putt? lol Insane.

8. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    No; I'm at work. What happened?

9. Jose-Mourinho

Mar 22, 2010
    He was in the middle of his backstroke for a medium length putt for birdie when something from a tree (not sure if it was like a seed) fell right into the path of his putt, about halfway to the hole. His ball rolled over it causing it to go to the left.

10. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    The most common reaction I've seen outside of the media about Tiger is "yeah, let's get back to him playing golf and I'll still root for him because I don't care about his personal life"

Most of us, at least, really don't care to know about his personal life. None of my business, certainly.

11. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
  12. Jose-Mourinho

Mar 22, 2010
    Tiger is getting upset!

13. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    Right and I'd be all for that too, however, when he asks for everyone (Media especially) to respect his personal life and then turns around and uses his dead daddy's voice to put a spin on the whole ordeal, in a commercial, he brings the **** upon himself.

Yesterday was poetic justice. All we heard about was the return of this scumbag heading into the Masters and what we got was a real class act in Phil winning with his ailing wife (Given what his family has been through in the last year) there and hardly anything from Tiger (And what he's done to his family). I was loving it all day yesterday.

14. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRG4HWUZIHo

15. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    On the other hand, from what I've heard about Tiger's father and the commercial, it sounds like something his dad would say after this and approve of. So the commercial really doesn't bother me one bit. Granted, I haven't actually seen the commercial myself (just heard about it and read about), but it sounds like its essentially saying he's learned from this and will try to be a better person - which is what he's said in the very few statements he's made on the subject.

16. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I would respect Tiger more if he just the media to back off and stopped these media spins.

I had no problem with Mikelson winning it.

17. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    But the thing is the sound clip used is totally out of context. It was from some documentary a few years ago where his dad was actually talking to his mom. They took that, found a sound byte of him saying "Tiger" for the beginning and bam there's the commercial.

18. Jose-Mourinho

Mar 22, 2010
    Also, didn't his dad also **** around? That makes it even more lol. I'm pretty sure I heard that after the Woods story exploded.

19. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I heard that, too; not that it's any of my business.

20. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    ...and yet, it is still something he probably would say, were he still alive. I'd be far more concerned if it were out of character for something his dad would probably do.

Given, of course, the relatively little we know of his dad.

21. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006

22. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    LOL

Karma - 1
    Tiger Woods - 0

23. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    does anyone else think it was somewhat frightening, from a competitors standpoint, that woods had an insane amount of bogeys and still finished in the top four after five months of no competitive golf? you knock even half of those to pars and he wins it. you knock all of them to pars and he's borderline -20 if i'm remembering correctly. i don't think it'll be very long before he wins.

24. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Turn just the bogeys from Sunday into pars and he's tied with Mickelson. Turn the one that started with a 3-foot birdie putt into a birdie and he wins outright. That's just from one day. Scary.

25. Jose-Mourinho

Mar 22, 2010
    He didn't though. So it's pointless to say what if.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.