main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Revenge Got People's Choice!

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by LilyHobbitJedi, Jan 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CJedi72

CJedi72 Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 29, 2005

I agree about his vision and looking at the movies now, but he has to give a reason for older fans who didn't like the PT, and already bought the 2004 DVD boxset like myself a reason to buy a new 6 movie saga set.

No new material, whether it is a new documentary or deleted scenes, those you can find on the internet, is going to make me rush out and buy a new SW DVD set anymore. As much as I want the SE, I am satisfied with the SE, and watch 4,5,6 all the time.

But if he puts the O-OT as part of the saga set with the prequels, he will have my money, and in the same process get me to buy 3 movies that I necessarily dont feel the need to buy again, even if he makes more changes to them like CG Yoda in TPM, only because they are all part of the set. It's not necessarily what the customer wants, or they would be out by now, but what the customer demand for at the time of selling a new product, and that would be the optimal time for Lucas to put it all in one box set, and probably have EVERY Star Wars fan rush out the first day it is out, and probably set records again.

2. jasperjones

jasperjones Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    Completely agree with you.

3. JediRandy

JediRandy Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 21, 2002
    And how many of the hundreds available for the PT are web sites? Today anyone with a computer and a local movie theater can be a movie reviewer. I don't know about you guys, but I still tend to listen to respectable movie reviews who write for a legit paper as opposed to a 30something wannabe filmmaker with a web site.

You act like during the 70's and 80's people were reading by candlelight and using outhouses. There were plenty of papers and plenty of trade magazines back then.

That lil' study done by Rotten Tomatoes drives some folks nuts and it never fails to make me chuckle.

4. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    It doesn't matter how many people in a mall today say the classic trilogy is better, the point remains the prequels got better reveiws than the classic trilogy when you compare the reveiws made at the time of their initial release.

Sure -now- everyone says the classic trilogy is the greatest, but it took 20 years for that to happen.

Imagine how much more people in a mall will like the prequels in another 20 years going on the massive head start it has over the classic trilogy.

Those of you who want to ignore that the prequels were better reviewed than the classic trilogy was at the time of their releases can feel free to continue doing so, but don't expect the rest of us to.

5. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002

6. CJedi72

Sep 29, 2005

I always follow this chart for adjusted inflation for the gross of each movie:

Star Wars 1.1 Billion
    ESB 628 Million
    ROTJ 601 Million
    TPM 542 Million
    ROTS 380 Million
    AOTC 342 Million

Now, sure the OT were re-released and DVD comes out faster, except for TPM, when it took 1 1/2 years to come to DVD, but the OT still towers over all 3 PT movies after inflation.

Now the original gross shows how much mass appeal that had to the public, and that is why the rest of the 5 movies are made for just SW fans, but one of the PT movies should have beaten ESB & ROTJ, for just the fact that you had a whole new generation of SW fans, plus the older one who though they bitched and moaned about them, they were still there opening weekend.

Who really cares about reviews anyway, the numbers never lie.

7. Ekenobi

Apr 4, 2002
    If he is sooo greedy, SW would have been put on DVD the second the format took off.

8. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Alright, folks.

Let's talk about the People's Choice Award, and not get into the same old argument. Neither side will convince the other, let's move on.

9. Ekenobi

Apr 4, 2002
    But the compaisons is not an accurate one. TPM had 141 reviews. ESB had 50 and I think these are from the SE ESB. NOt 80 ESB. So how cna you poissbly compare the two trilogies. I am sure ESB would have got about 80% if it had 141 reviews as well. And vice versa for TPM. I said that before on another thread that 50 reviews compared to 141 reviews is not a good comparision laong with the ESB are from SE ESB no 80 ESB. And it is true these reviewers are ones who saw ESB SW when they were kids. I want to see a comparioson to reviews from 1977, 80, 83. That maybe a fairer comparison because you get a review of when the movie fisrt came out. Not 20 years later.

10. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    CJedi72 ,

You are comparing the box offices of the prequels to the classic trilogy, which has had several re-releases since it first came out.

Let's see where things are in another 20 years.

Ekenobi,

The way you can compare a different number of reviews is to take their averages.

Just because there weren't as many reviews back in the day doesn't change the fact that the prequels ended up with a higher percentage of praise.

And the people's choice award just bolsters the idea that your average every day person just isn't represented by the critical community.

11. CJedi72

Sep 29, 2005

12. jasperjones

Oct 24, 2001
    Just to be totally fair, you could factor in the law of diminishing returns. By the time of ROTS you looking at a 5th sequel. There aren't many franchises that last that well, the police academy saga not withstanding.

13. Ekenobi

Apr 4, 2002

You are correct Go Mer. I also did not read the rest of the article. It does a better comparison with the reviews from the original release.

14. jasperjones

Oct 24, 2001
    It will be interesting to see what the kids who love the PT as they grow up make of it in 20 years. I think for their generation the saga will be pretty much level. Those nostalgia free reviews from 30 plus year olds are really interesting.

15. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Let's get back on topic. Take box office discussions elsewhere. And a final note, Lucas isn't interested in appeasing us. He's interested in appeasing himself. Hence he will not re-release the O-OT ever again. If he did, he would've done it last year. But he's not interested in that. He's pretty firm that he won't put them out again.

16. tuskinraiderfromhell

tuskinraiderfromhell Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 14, 2004
    What the **** does all this have to do with the Fact that SITH won for best picture? Can't you "Fans?" just appreciate that a Star Wars movie finally won a best picture award? Is it so hard to say: "Good job George, cast and crew, well done. It's about time."

STAR WARS IS FOREVER!

Use your asteriks when swearing. :)

17. tuskinraiderfromhell

tuskinraiderfromhell Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 14, 2004
    Use your asteriks when swearing.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

18. CJedi72

Sep 29, 2005

Come on man, you and I don't know what he'll do in the next 10-20 years for the saga in his releases. It's disingenious for you to say he will NEVER release it. We just don't know.

Remember for the past 10 years, he has worked on the PT, I don't think he wanted to bother even putting out the OT SE DVD's in 2004, I mean he resisted that for a long time. Fans were screaming for the OT DVD, any version since DVD's inception in 1997. But he knew it would be a good way to get everyone hyped for ROTS, hence putting the Episode III documentary on the extras disc. Just like rereleasing the OT VHS in 2000 and put a 10 minute AOTC featurette on it. Again, to say he NEVER will put it is out. You may be right, or I may be right, only time will tell.

OK back to the topic.

19. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    Lucas is only guilty of expressing emotions at the high moment. What else is he going to say? "Thanks. I make movies for myself. You hear that Harrison? INDY 4 is for myself!!"
    :)

The fact that it won is a given to me. That movie rocked the house down.

20. TrueJedi

TrueJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 22, 2000
    It scares me when GL gets senile like that. He might just go ahead and forget yet another continuity issue during one of his senility attacks.

21. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    He's not downplaying the grandure of ANH, he is just pointing out that the rest of the movies in the series were completely snubbed.

This is mostly because after ANH he told Hollywood to go screw itself. Ever since, he has been wrongfully snubbed by just about every Hollywood institution there is.

They even snubbed Williams for ESB's score saying that they couldn't consider him because ESB was essentially the same as Star Wars. In their mind it would have been like giving him another award for the same musical score.

Of course when Peter Jackson makes a trilogy, they have no problem awarding Howard Shore an award for each movie.

22. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    No, these people aren't fans, they are wannabe critics. That's it.

They know how the movies should have been, and if they made them, I'm sure they would have been so awesome![face_hypnotized] I'm serious! Go read some of the fanfics! THEY ARE AWESOME!o_O

No thanks, I like Star Wars, and that's why I'm here.:-B
    If your here for some other reason, then you need a new hobbie.

23. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    You act like during the 70's and 80's people were reading by candlelight and using outhouses. There were plenty of papers and plenty of trade magazines back then.

No, I am saying that many of those reviews are not available today so we don't have any idea what the films would have gotten.

That lil' study done by Rotten Tomatoes drives some folks nuts and it never fails to make me chuckle.

It drives me nuts - as someone trained in science - when people take flimsy evidence and frame it to support their argument. There are only a handful of reviews for the OT. With only a handful of reviews, you are getting useless evidence. Every film on Rottentomatoes fluctuates until at least 50 or 60 reviews come in. How do you justify that then?

24. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Okay, well, I guess we aren't going to get back on topic. This can be continued in the Awards and Nominations thread.

It's a shame we can't just be happy with this one thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.