main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN Revenge of the Sith - Kevin Smith review up

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by rhonderoo, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    Yep. Supposed to be on Hyperspace on the 10th. Meaning that Hyperspace will be down and I'll have to get it from some other source, despite having shelled out $80 for two subscriptions.

Thank God for other sources!

2. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    may be up for a little while

If not, here's a .gif. It's the preview of the trailer being aired on the OC next week on FOX.

[image=http://www.rhonderoo.com/sneaktrailer3es.gif]

3. DarthToddy

DarthToddy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2004
    That gif was at the end of the OC tonight...taunting us before next week......hope you all tune in to MY station around 8:50 next Thursday!!!!

4. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Would that be a little hint for us there, John? :) I'm hoping Hyperspace won't poop out on us again.

Never mind. Of course it will.

Watched it in slow motion. Anakin was making mincemeat of some Nemoidians.

5. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    [image=http://www.starwars.com/episode-iii/release/promo/img/20050308_1_bg.jpg] [face_dancing]

6. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Just saw the trailer for the next Clone Wars Cartoon season, The Revenge Begins. :eek: There's an A/P reunion scene, so I'm guessing this goes beyond the events in Labyrinth of Evil?

7. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Novel stuff: :cool:

Obi-Wan: This is not a social call. I have come to speak to you about Anakin.
    Obi-Wan: Has he came to see you?
    Padme: Several times...
    Obi-Wan: It's Anakin....may I sit?
    Padme: Please.
    Padme: Is he in trouble?
    Obi-Wan: We had words yesterday and parted badly....
    Padme: What were these words about?
    Obi-Wan: I can't tell you. Jedi business. Its just that I have been a bit worried about him...
    Padme: Why would he talk to me about Jedi business?
    Obi-Wan: I am not blind Padme. Though I have tried to be for Anakin and your sake. Niether of you are good at hiding feelings. Anakin has loved you since Tatooine. He has tried to hide it. I pretended to not know. It made him happy. You made him happy. And you Padme as skilled as you are can't hide the light in your eyes when anyone mentions his name.
    Padme: I...
    Obi-Wan: Anakin is under a great deal of pressue. He is changing..quickly. It would be a very great mistake if he were to leave the Jedi order
    Padme: Why that seems so unlikely. Isn't he the chosen one?
    Obi-Wan: It only says a chosen one will be born and bring balance to the force. It never says he has to be a Jedi. My master believed it was the will of the force that Anakin would be trained as a Jedi.
    Padme: But the will of the force...
    Obi-Wan: But the Jedi doesn't know all there is to know of the force. We don't know what the will of the force can be.

(Matt Stover is a god.) REAL SERIOUS SPOILERS FOR THE NOVEL:

And... This is what if feels to be Anakin Skywalker:

In the newly renamed Emperor Palpatine Surgical Reconstruction Center on Coruscant, a hypersophisticated prototype Ubrikkian DD-13 surgical droid moved away from the project that it and an enhanced FX-6 medical droid had spent many days rebuilding.

It beckoned to a dark-robed shadow that stood at the edge of the pool of high-intensity light. "My lord, the construction is finished. He lives."

"Good. Good."

The shadow flowed into the pool of light as though the overhead illuminators had malfunctioned.

Droids stepped back as it came to the rim of the surgical table.

On the table was strapped the very first patient of the EmPalSuRecon Center.

To some eyes, it might have been a pieced-togcther hybrid of droid and human, encased in a life-support shell of gleaming black, managed by a thoracic processor that winked pale color against the shadow's cloak. To some eyes, its jointed limbs might have looked ungainly, clumsy, even monstrous; the featureless curves of black that served it for eyes might have appeared inhuman, and the underthrust grillwork of its vocabulator might have suggested the jaws of a saurian predator built of polished blast armor, but to the shadow?

It was glorious.

A magnificent jewel box, created both to protect and to exhibit the greatest treasure of the Sith.

Terrifying.

Mesmerizing.

Perfect.

The table slowly rotated to vertical, and the shadow leaned close.

"Lord Vader? Lord Vader, can you hear me?"

-----------------

This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker, forever:

The first dawn of light in your universe brings pain.

The light burns you. It will always burn you. Part of you will always lie upon black glass sand beside a lake of fire while flames chew upon your flesh.

You can hear yourself breathing. It comes hard, and harsh, and it scrapes nerves already raw, but you cannot stop it. You can never stop it. You cannot even slow it down.

You don't even have lungs anymore.

Mechanisms hardwired into your chest breathe for you. They will pump oxygen into your bloodstream forever.

Lord Vader? Lord Vader, can you hear me?

And you can't, not in the way you once did. Sensors in the shell that prisons your head trickle meaning directly into your brain.

You open your scorched-pale eyes; optical sensors integrate light and shadow into a hideous simulacrum of the world around you.

Or perhaps the simulacrum is perfect, and it is the world that is hideous.

Padm

8. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I pray to God that the movie reflects an iota of those well-written words! Good grief that was good. I'm half sorry I read it, but, it confirms a lot of things I've already heard.

This movie is so going to rock.

9. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    And the sad part... Palpatine lied and Vader believes him for the rest of his life.... :_|

Polis Massa. A tent is in place from Padme's chest down, and droids are assisting with the labour. Padme is delerious...

Obi : Don't give up, Padme.

Padme : Is it... It's a girl. Anakin thinks it's a girl.

Obi : We don't know yet. In a minute... you have to stay with us.

Padme : If it's... a girl - oh, oh, oh no...

Obi (to droid) : Can't you do something?

Droid 1 : All organic damage has been repaired. This systemic failure cannot be explained.

Obi : Padme, you have to hold on.

Padme : If it's a girl... name her Leia.

One of the droids appear from behind the tent.

Droid 1 (softly) : It's a boy.

Padme lifts her free hand and places it gently on the baby's forehead.

Padme : Luke...

The other droid appears.

Droid 2 : ... and a girl.

Obi : Padme, you have twins. They need you - please hang on...

Padme : Anakin...

Obi : Anakin... isn't here, Padme.

Padme : Anakin, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... Anakin, please, I love you....

For a moment, Padme's delerium clears, and she recognises Obi. Outside, Bail and Yoda peer solemnly through the observation panel.

Padme reaches across with her free hand, the one that touched Luke, and presses something into Obi's open palm.

Padme : Obi-Wan... there... is still good in him. I know there is... still...

As her voice fades to an empty sigh and alarm tones ring out, the droids usher Obi from the room.

10. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Add Kleenex to the list of midnight showing gear. Good grief. I need a Prozac after reading that.

11. kellrob

kellrob Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2004
    Wow! Kleenex are a definite. Where did you find this Rhonda? I kept trying to tell Robert about it and he said the novel doesn't come out until next month. This is why I love books and I love to read. My imagination is better than any movie. When I read this, I could really see whats happening. I only hope the movie will be that good. The books always tend to be better than the movies. Thats why I won't watch "The Runaway Jury". Its one of my favorite John Grisham books and they completely changed it for the movie. The "Harry Potter" movies are very close to the books and I have enjoyed watching them, but the books are way better. Can't wait for July!

12. Chewbracca

Chewbracca Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 21, 2002
    Oh, what the hell...I'll read the novel before hand!!! There goes my spoiler-freeness!! :)

13. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    As bad as I want to, I'm going to avoid buying the novel before I see the movie. I'm scared that, even if the movie just severely rocks, they'll leave out one or two little scenes that I loved in the book. Then I'll leave the theater saying, "Man, that was great, but...". I'm not going to do that to myself.

14. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Chewbracca posted on 3/24/05 10:56am
    Oh, what the hell...I'll read the novel before hand!!! There goes my spoiler-freeness!! [face_happy]
    [hr][/blockquote]

You and me both. I think I've prepared myself for some scenes to be left out.

15. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    [image=http://www.rhonderoo.com/hanging.jpg]

He ain't heavy...he's my brother. :p

16. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    "What? You drank too much again and now you can't walk, Obi-Wan? Oh, cry me a river, why don't you." :p

Obi-Wan was on the boy's back for 15 years when he was a padawan. Looks like nothing's changed.

Of course, at the end when Anakin cries to Obi-Wan to save his life, he'll see just how much brotherly love he gets in return from his compassionate old friend. He didn't tell him that the "brotherhood" was founded by Cain and Abel.

17. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Awww...[face_love] Ani and Padme's baby boy.

[image=http://www.rhonderoo.com/luke.jpg]

18. StarBlazerM31

StarBlazerM31 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 8, 2005
    Well, you have to admit...Anakin has it coming.

He's not the great hero people want to make him out to be. He's a power-hungry murderer. Plain and simple. He deserves every bad thing that happens to him. Obi-Wan shouldn't have to clean up after a headstrong brat that likes to question and disrespect him in front of others. Obi-Wan shouldn't have to deal with someone who thinks he's better than everyone else. Anakin is a prime example of someone who needs to rise above everything...and then fall like a pathetic whelp. Perhaps that would teach him that he's not as wonderful as he thinks he is.

No offense. Just my opinion.

19. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
  20. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I'm going to say something extremely unpopular here, but it must be said.

Star Wars has become as rife with argument as Christianity has. Just as Christianity has split into a we're-right-you're-wrong division of Presbyterians, Catholics, Methodists, Baptists, Episcopalians, etc, Star Wars has become a division of Obi-Wanites, Anakinites, Vaderites, Qui-Gonites, etc., and it's making fandom freaking unenjoyable. It's gotten to the point where you can't even joke about a certain character without someone getting their panties in a wad over it. I'm expecting to get nasty PM's any day now over my comments about General Madine's crappy hairpiece. This factionism has fractured and weakened Star Wars fandom, has divided fans, and has sucked all of the joy out of the experience.

This used to be fun, but now it's gotten incredibly tedious. I get PM's from somebody every time someone says something negative about their favorite character, and I'm tired of it. This is fantasy people. These are fictional characters. If you have a problem with someone else's opinion or comments regarding your favorite character, then it's time you step away and go back to reality. As for me, I'm in this for escapism. This petty division of fans has done plenty to turn my escapism into an ulcer-inducing reality.

We've got two months before this damned movie comes out. This is the LAST TIME we will ever have the excitement and anticipation that comes with the awaited release of a Star Wars film. I'd like to enjoy it without having to don a referee shirt to keep people from tearing at each other's throats over FICTIONAL CHARACTERS.

21. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Roo: :eek: Is that from the ROTS graphic novel? The art is really good! :D

Must. refrain. from. buying. before. movie......

22. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Jedi Trace posted on 3/25/05 2:14pm
    [b]Roo:[/b] [face_shock] Is that from the ROTS graphic novel? The art is [i]really[/i] good! [face_grin]

Must. refrain. from. buying. before. movie......

[hr][/blockquote]

I know. I was like, I am not going to look at any other pages. I'm not. But that part rocked. Palpatine could sell ice cubes to Eskimos.

And Tim, dude....I'm lost. What are you on about?

EDIT: Had to put the "sell" ice cubes part in. It sounded like he could "ice" cubes to Eskimos. Okay, nevermind... [face_tongue]

23. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Oh, he can. He's Palpatine.

I think we're going to have to call April 2nd "The Last Temptation of Tim".

24. Chewbracca

Chewbracca Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 21, 2002
    Well, the book didn't ruin AOTC for me. How could you ruin Yoda's BAMF performance?!?!?!?!

25. StarBlazerM31

StarBlazerM31 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 8, 2005
    Apologies.

I've not done a lot of reading since Episode 1. I'm currently wanting to re-read Darth Maul Shadow Hunter, but I'm not getting very far there. ><;

-Darth Grace [face_skull]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.