main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Revenge Of The Sith ranking opinion?.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Qui-Gon Gin, Jun 10, 2018.

1. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    Best of the entire saga for me

2. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    It's the best of the prequels. I like the trilogy on the whole, although AOTC drags it down for me. I'm not trying to disparage the prequels by saying this, but to me, the prequels feel more like archival footage than part of the overall saga. It's become reference material more than an integral part of the saga, IMO, of course.

Gonk Droid likes this.
  3. Darth Bridge 167

Darth Bridge 167 Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2017
    The way the PT was setup by Lucas is that TPM & AOTC are the appetizers/setup and ROTS is the main course/main story. So it is the best in that respect because you get all of the payoffs essentially from all 5 movies that you tried to piece together from 1977-2005. Alot of fans take shots at TPM & AOTC, but you need them to set everything up and take the time to flesh out the characters and the story. So ROTS is the best of the PT, and a worthy addition to the Saga, but it also benefits in the structure that Lucas formed the narrative of the PT in that it gives you all of those dream plot points that fans wanted from the day the PT was announced.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    oierem and Christus Regnet like this.
  4. Darth Stratocaster

Darth Stratocaster Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    Best of the prequels easily, and third best overall among all the live-action movies.

This isn't the reason it's the best, but: More lightsaber battles than the previous five movies combined. Definitely a fun ride.

whostheBossk and Glitterstimm like this.
  5. Christus Regnet

Christus Regnet Jedi Master star 3

Mar 10, 2016
    It really is a good story. There aren't many "epic tragedies" or "downfall of civilization" type movies in the sci-fi/space adventure genre. Episode 3 is in many ways unique.

6. mfastx

mfastx Jedi Knight star 1

May 2, 2015
    You could say the same thing about the OT as well IMO.

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I used to love it, but these days, TPM is my favorite of the PT.

8. Steve McGarrett

Steve McGarrett Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 1, 2017
    It's ok but probably my least favourite SW film. TPM is my favourite prequel film.

9. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    TPM is my favorite SW film but ROTS is fantastic. The battle between Anakin and Obi-Wan, the political intrigue, the mythical scale of the Clone Wars, the impending doom, and the hopeful montage at the end all make it spectacular.

darkspine10 likes this.
  10. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    Actually, no you can't. And you missed the point of my comment. When you look at everything coming out now, it's all original trilogy-centric. Everything, with the exception of Rebels, is building off the OT, or directly relating and enhancing the OT. As a result, it makes the PT seem to be at a much more distant past than it is. In other words, more like reference material.

Gonk Droid likes this.
  11. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Best Star Wars film

DarthFixxxer likes this.
  12. Christus Regnet

Christus Regnet Jedi Master star 3

Mar 10, 2016
    Eventually the brand recognition of the Original Trilogy will be so oversaturated that they will move on to other recognizable eras. It's already happening with toy sales, which used to(in the 2000's) dwarf box office sales, but seem to be floundering as of late. People will simply lose interest, as they did in the late 80's/early 90's. And then it will switch back to prequel era material, then after ten years or so, it will go back to OT. Maybe they'll reboot SW again by then.

13. Kururu

Kururu Jedi Master star 1

Feb 9, 2007
    Best of the saga for me.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  14. mfastx

mfastx Jedi Knight star 1

May 2, 2015
    I was speaking mainly about the ST. The latest anthology film has Darth freaking Maul in it so I don't see how you could make that comment in regards to the spinoffs. Maybe you consider that reference material but he's a pretty significant character.

Much of what happened in the OT is irrelevant in regards to the ST, they've pretty much wiped the slate clean.

Obviously the PT comes well before the other films chronologically so it's hard to keep it integral to the story.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  15. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Revenge Of The Sith is definitely in my top three of all the Star Wars films and I think the film really shines in its montages: The Ruminations Scene with Anakin and Padmé; the Order 66 sequence; the destruction of the Separatists/proclamation of the Empire; the Death/Birth/Rebirth sequence with Anakin/Vader Padmé and the twins - all those scenes and sequences are fantastically edited and they harmony very well. The imagery, cinematography, music are all spot on. In those minutes, the film is home to the most brilliant moments of all the Star Wars films. I also love the juxtaposition of the battles between Yoda/Sidious and Anakin/Obi-Wan. The destruction of civilization and democracy and a friendship ending up in hell.

The other thing that's admirable about the movie is the emotional roughness of the film. Anakin's fall from grace is portrayed in such brutality and honesty that's rare and almost unseen in popular cinema. Lucas doesn't really ever try to make Anakin look really sympathetic or tries to excuse his actions in any ways. What he does is that he shows how corrupted and evil Anakin has become and how everything that happens to him is a punishment for what he does in this movie. The brilliance lies in the fact that the movie is - in spite of that honesty and the fear of alienating viewers - still very much relatable, especially through the characters of Obi-Wan and Padmé. Anakin forces them to turn against him and it destroys all of their lives and that's just heartbreaking for everyone that has been watching and enjoying the previous two prequels.

There are a lot of reasons that suggest that Episode III could be the best Star Wars film ever. What leads me to rank it rather on second or third place is that the first third (the space battle and rescue mission) almost feels like a different movie and - giving the complexity of Anakin's motivations - that screen time seems to missing somewhere later in the movie. Or could have been used for better or more relevant plot points later on in the same film. I still and nonetheless understand Lucas wanting to show Anakin and Obi-Wan's friendship in more explicity and also parts of the Clone Wars with that spectacular opening.

So yes, Revenge Of the Sith is one of the best Star Wars films although I probably would rank it on top of my list.

16. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Top three material along with AOTC and ANH.

17. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Well said! I totally agree with you about the strength of these montages. Morover, being rather unique in the Saga, it makes them stand out even more.

I think it's also relatable through the character of Anakin, at least during the first half of the film. More than any other movie in the Saga, a big part of the movie focuses almost exclusively on a single character (Anakin), so you can identify with him, even though you can see the wrong decisions he makes. I do think that there is a sympathetic aspect in Anakin's journey as presented in the movie during the first half -and then the big turn happens and the movie changes focus and centers on Obi-Wan mostly.

It's true that the opening third of the movie is "objectively" lesser than the rest of the movie; however, I do like the contrasting tone (which mirrors the same structure of ROTJ). The lack of drama and tragedy in the first act provides a lot of fun, action, adventure and lightness to a movie that still has to work as a "fun saturday matinee serial", and it provides a wonderful contrast to the last third of the movie. In fact, Anakin's "descent" to the dark side can be felt during the film, as the tone progressively changes from light to dark, only to have a hopeful coda at the very end.

If I had to choose favourites (which I won't) I'd say ROTS has a lot of potential to be considered the best movie of the Saga (of course, being the conclussion of the trilogy, it has it easier than the previous movies).

Tonyg, Samnz and HevyDevy like this.
  18. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Best movie of the entire saga .....TPM & AOTC are ranked bottom of the saga ,

Strange as it may seem but the difference in quality from ROTS to TPM & AOTC is massive to be quite frank........

19. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Not that much better than TPM and AOTC in terms of substance, but the film is definitely executed with more finesse.

It is easier to watch than the other two, I admit. Despite it being darker and more cathartic.

20. Darth Stratocaster

Darth Stratocaster Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    I've been thinking this over. Just watched AOTC tonight, and I really enjoyed it -- and I enjoy ROTS even more.

1. TESB 2. ANH 3. ROTS 4. ROTJ. 5. Rogue One 6. AOTC 7. TPM 8. Solo 9. TFA 10. TLJ

Tonyg and Mindless Monster like this.
  21. RuinJohnson

RuinJohnson Jedi Padawan

Jun 6, 2018
    It is the best of the PT for sure. It's not on the level of ROTJ or ESB for me, but I would put it in the top of that second tier with TFA, TPM, and R1.

22. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    For me, it's definitely the best of the prequels. I've flip-flopped again and again on whether or not I think it's better than Rogue One, but I think it's close either way. I think Revenge of the Sith is certainly the more enjoyable of the two, although maybe not always for the best of reasons ;)

I really love Revenge of the Sith. It's the first Star Wars film I saw in theaters so it'll always hold a special place in my heart.

whostheBossk and christophero30 like this.
  23. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    It's def. the best of the prequels for me. I'd put it at number four behind the OT.

24. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    As I said, it shares tier 1 with AOTC and ANH. Sure, it's much more epic than either of the other ones. But that's because it has that unique place in the saga that makes it the climax. It's epic and powerful, so I understand it's the most popular for some. But really, it's really just a continuation and resolution of AOTC, which doesn't make that one a lesser movie. ANH is there because it's from another era, the movie that started the whole saga. Without it there would simply be no SW. So I included it on the top tier. TPM, ESB and ROTJ are still good, but they simply don't live up to Episodes II, III and IV. RO was kind of nice, though it didn't come close to the Lucas saga. The Disney sequels though.... could have been entertaining but for me are simply not part of the saga.[face_dunno]

Mark Pierre, Tonyg and Count Yubnub like this.
  25. ThisIsMe1138

ThisIsMe1138 Chosen One star 6

Jun 26, 2018
    Definitely think RotS is one of the best of the entire saga. It's dark, but it makes Vader's turn back to light side in RotJ so much better. Prequels are my favorite (Obi-Wan ;)) Sequels are entertaining and have some great characters, but not the same without George Lucas

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018