main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Revenge Of The Sith ranking opinion?.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Qui-Gon Gin, Jun 10, 2018.

1. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I believe so. Looks like he was interviewed for the article.

Deliveranze likes this.
  2. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    ROTS has always and always will be my favorite SW movie.

It's got it all, plenty of action, drama, conversations, the music is the best, the vistas are breathtaking, among other things.

3. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    ROTS has been tied with ANH as my favorite. This is not to say it's perfect but the sheer scale and emotional impact outweighs any criticisms I have (mostly about Padme's diminished role and death). I wish the deleted scenes were included (at least in some sort of an extended cut although Lucas doesn't normally do this).

The soundtrack is truly epic, JW outdid himself on this one.

As a Tolkien fan, I prefer to think of PT as Lucas's Silmarillion. And to think that this epic tragedy was followed by "real deserts", Force downloads, random boring undeveloped characters not connected to the Skywalker saga, Vader/Emperor cosplayers with a healthy dose of cynicism and nihilism.... just mind-boggling.

4. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    ROTS is about as good as SW will get. An epic origin to one of the most iconic villains, outstanding set pieces, amazing high-octane action, great character development for both protagonists (Anakin in Act 1 and 2 and Obi-Wan in Act 3) at their respective moments, giving the most character to Leia's adoptive father, sowing the seeds of rebellion with Padme and Bail but before any armed conflict against the Empire, giving Mace an epic if not inevitable end, and some badass Clone Wars action.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  5. Master Jos-Ra

Master Jos-Ra Jedi Youngling

Jul 28, 2019
    One thing I will say: I think that the Prequels had the potential to be perhaps even more memorable than the OT. It's the execution that was lacking... along with certain plot choices, which I found... odd. Still, all in all, I give TPM 3 out of 5 stars; AOTC 2.5 to 3 out of 5 stars, and ROTS 3.5 to 4 out of 5 stars. However, I find that watching ROTS along with RO gives a plus to both movies... but maybe that's just me.

6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Wearing a SW shirt into a B&N the cashier asked me my favorite SW film and I said either TESB or ROTJ. I asked which is her favorite and she got a little sheepish and said ROTS. I sad there's nothing wrong with that at all it's a good movie.
    This told me a lot, that she has encountered many a PT hater.

7. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    TPM is so far superior than AOTC or ROTS in my opinion. The movie still looks great now. It's actually a great movie... and the struggle they went through to make it is incredible.

It's unfortunate that JAR JAR and a few spots of the film didn't connect with audiences too well. TPM is great...now a days... where movies get re-shoots all the time... if TPM came out now, it probably would have been close to "perfect" as a film...

ROTS...oh right... it's ok... but no where near TPM... in my opinion. ROTS does too much... it's too busy, over the top... and it just doesn't hold up as well in my opinion. The acting is off... and I really feel like TPM is an incredible accomplishment for its time.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  8. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    The Phantom Menace is an underrated gem.
    Seriously it is so unappreciated.
    When you watch it you can suspend disbelief and think "maybe it will all turn out good" but deep down you know where the story goes.

But I feel they were much more focused with Revenge of the Sith.
    The over the top stuff is only it's surface value.
    It's a layered film.

Yodahasgreenfeet likes this.
  9. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    For me personally, ROTS is a better payoff to the PT than ROTJ is to the OT.

10. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    I have heard you express your unfavorable opinion of ROTJ before.

Personally I see both films as crucial, symbiotic even. Revenge of the Sith would be far less meaningful without Return of the Jedi, and ROTJ is a great conclusion to a six part story largely because of the reworking of the narrative done by eps 1-3.

Revenge of the Sith is arguably slicker and more refined, but on the flip side this means ROTJ allows more time to breathe and create atmosphere.

To me they are two parts to a cyclical whole. Vader's mask "going on" and "coming off" are heavily mirrored and inverted if you look closely.

And each film is arguably the most operatic and dramatic of each respective trilogy.

Fingers crossed that IX follows in their footsteps.

11. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    I can agree to that. However, lots of people rank the OT separate from the PT and as individual films when they are all important to the saga. I'd also say ROTJ is less meaningful without ROTS and the other two prequels too.

That makes watching ROTJ right after ROTS a much more sweet experience in my opinion.

12. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Revenge of the Sith is the best Star Wars film ever made. It's ability to enhance all the other films of the saga, just by its inclusion, shows how powerful of a film it was.

13. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Agreed.
    Both ANH and ROTJ now seem to be an uplifting follow-up to the PT.
    Directly back-to-back for ANH, with the happy end ROTS made sorely needed.
    But also symbolically with ROTJ, with the return of balance punctuated by a peak after ROTS's symbolic trough.

Watching the award ceremony at the end of ANH is a little corny on it's own, but after the tragic end to the previous trilogy it is actually kind of touching. I dunno, it just cheers me up.

Return of the Jedi is a much more complex "up" than ANH I think.
    I have posted extensively on it, but there seems to be a push-pull karmic balance going on with each trilogy.

The films are truly meant to be watched as a greater whole.

It is what has me anxious but excited for the final ninth film. If they are true to the established films, all of them, it could be grand. I wonder how much the ST creators appreciate the original sextet's interweaving. We'll see.

14. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Revenge of the Sith ranks as my favorite Star Wars movie of all time. To me, it effectively captures the tragic nature of the Prequels: the fall of a hero, the disintegration of a marriage, the death of a friendship, the destruction of the Jedi and their Temple, and overshadowing it all the ruin of a once great but rotting from within Republic. All this tragedy is for me very poignantly depicted but there is still a note of hope at the end when Leia and Luke are placed with their respective adoptive families that assures us that love still exists in the Star Wars universe and that there are still good people who will fight and sacrifice for what is right. I think it's that ending that ensures that while the movie is dark in tone, it doesn't descend into nihilism. We still get the sense that there is a meaning and a hope to life even during the darkest time, which is a message that resonates with me.

It also just has a lot of my favorite Star Wars scenes. Anakin and Obi-Wan's rescue of Palpatine at the beginning, which shows how well they work together, and their banter that really captures their friendship very quickly for the audience. Padme and Anakin's reunion, which to me is very sweet, and his reaction to her pregnancy is always moving to me. Scenes like the one at the opera where Palpatine slips into the devil role of tempting Anakin with the tale of Darth Plagueis always sends shivers up my spine. I also the scene where Obi-Wan and Anakin say farewell to one another always tugs at my heartstrings, making me wish for a different ending to their friendship. Then the epic but heartbreaking duel between these two powerful warriors in their prime who are like brothers to one another but have become determined to destroy one another. I could probably write an entire paragraph on the splendor of that duel but since I've rambled long enough in this post, I'll restrain myself....

I can see some of the pacing issues people point out with Anakin's fall (but I think it's well-developed enough across three movies that I can overlook that) and some of the dialogue issues people have, but to me, none of that interferes with the viewing experience enough for this movie to be dislodged as my favorite Star Wars film.

So my personal ranking of Revenge of the Sith? It's the number one Star Wars film for me.

15. Darth Buzz

Jun 25, 2018
    We aren't worthy of this movie ^:)^

Just downright tragic storytelling at its finest. I've seen it over 20 times, and just feel depressed and gutted each time I watch it. Poor Anakin, all he wanted was the best....

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  16. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    This film is a cinematic achievement for Lucas. The whole PT is, but this one is on a level that not even the OT can touch imo. George crafted a movie with impeccable world-building, a huge scale unlike anything we have seen again so far, and the most complex characterization of a SW protagonist that will be a challenge to replicate or do better.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  17. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    The sad thing is you could even get in trouble for not being sure if you like TESB better than ROTJ or not.

For a lot of fans it's TESB or bust. I mean it's a great movie but it's not like it makes all the other movies look like chopped liver. There are a lot of things ROTJ has going for it that TESB doesn't, and vice versa.

But anyway, I think ROTS might have the best opening of any Star Wars movie ever made. Its only competition is ANH's opening.

18. Darth Buzz

Jun 25, 2018
    Yep, I get a lot of flack and weird faces when I tell people my favorite Star Wars film is Revenge of the Sith. Apparently choosing something not from the OT is just CRAZY to some folks :p. When I tell them my second favorite film is The Last Jedi, well they usually just tell me I'm a buffoon [face_laugh].

19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It used to be my favorite. It's not aged very well imo

20. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    removed, bashing. /heels Now, I'm not saying every movie should be like ROTS... it'd be very exhausting. However, I certainly miss GL's ambition and mythbuilding.

Every SW movie from the first six brings something unique to the table. SW is very eclectic so unless you're a kid you'll probably end up with some strong likes/dislikes. In SW fan polls ROTS usually comes second or third.

For sure. And ANH usually gets an edge due to the nostalgia factor. I'm sure seeing it for the first time in 1977 was a mind blowing experience.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2019
  21. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    I consider ROTS merely the least bad of the prequels. I don't like any of the prequels, or the sequels, or Solo. I like only the OT and Rogue One. You could say that Rogue One is my prequel. (See my sig.)

22. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    I've never understood this business about stuff "not aging well." Either it's good or it isn't. If a work truly doesn't stand the test of time, then it was never truly good in the first place. Your perception has changed, but the work hasn't.

It's not that the work has aged. It's that you've aged. You're the one who's either aged well or aged poorly. It's not my place to say which. But that's what's caused your perception of the work to change.

Kole, KyleKartan, Darth Buzz and 2 others like this.
  23. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    That seems a little "one-size-fits-all", don't you think?

Aspects of Revenge of the Sith don't wow me like they once did, but my respect for the film has only deepened.

24. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    Because your perception of the film changed. Not the film itself.

By saying a film "didn't age well," the implication seems to be that the film was good at the time but became less good as time passed, in some way that's externally quantifiable. It's a rhetorical construction which seeks to objectify a film's perceived change in quality, as if it were like a rotting piece of cheese. I'm not trying to attack anybody or say their opinions are wrong. I just think that using that kind of language only serves to obscure what's actually going on and impedes discussion.

I'm only saying that if a film seemed good at the time and now does not seem so good, it's not due to some degradation inherent to the film. It's because of a change in our own perceptive faculties. The interesting question to answer is why we saw it one way then, and another way now. It's a question more about ourselves than about the film.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  25. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Best prequel for sure, not necessarily the best Star Wars film but the one I often enjoy most.

It has one gaping flaw besides the dialogue and some acting, which is the arc of Padme. The existence of the OT made it hard to give her a send-off that did her justice, but it could have been done better than her dying of a broken heart when she had kids to raise, and a Rebellion to lead. She went from being as much a progressive model as Leia to being the most extreme dumped girlfriend caricature.

Love the visuals, the war and political elements, the tragedy sans what I mentioned above, a flawed but thrilling installment.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019