main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Revenge Of The Sith ranking opinion?.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Qui-Gon Gin, Jun 10, 2018.

1. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    My Journey to TROS has reached Episode III and so I've rewatched RotS (for the like 10th or 11th time). This movie is as epic as SW can get and I think Lucas went full out here. He fullfilled what he set up with Episode I so gloriously and when you watch I, II and III together you can clearly see the narrative he followed and the Story he set up to tell. It's an epic amazing conclution of the Prequels for me with Visuals which hold up to most resent movies.

Coming off from Ep II you realize how much Anakin has matured (on the outside), how much his bond to Obi-Wan and Palpatine has deepend and how serious the war has been. The Opening Shot is marvelous, the whole opening Sequence of those Jedi Fighters flying in synch through the battle is jaw dropping. And from that Moment on it only gets more intense, more epic, more dramatic. The muisc is a masterpiece itself with various new themes and styles which were not included into the SW Saga until Ep III. I love the Battle of the Heros, Padmes Ruminations, Grievous' Theme, the whole Anakins Betrayl Music (and sequence) and Anakins Dark Deeds.

I think the actors do a great Job and respresent a consitent continuation of their characters. Ewan and Hayden knock it out of the park for me. I CANT WAIT for Ewan to Play Kenobi again. Every Scene they share I really feel their bond (until Kenobi leaves for Utapau) and their deep relationship. They really feel like 2 friends knowing each other for over a decade. Same goes for Hayden and Ian and Hayden and Natalie. It really feels like a real world where everyone has developed from Ep II to Ep III.

I still wish that the movie would have included the Delegation of 2000 Scenes. It just would have completed the circle a Little more and considering THE CLONE WARS, REBELS and ROGUE ONE those Scenes would have even more meaning and depth.

Furthermore my only critique of the movie are some of the cuts during some Scenes. You sometimes notice that some parts of a fight have been cut or a Scene was cut between two Scenes. I've noticed that mostly when Cody picks up Obi-Wans Lightsaber during the Utapau fight just to inform the Jedi Council about the start of the attack in the very next Scene without wearing his helmet. It can be explained easily but it can be confusing. In the Original script there is the last Delegation of 2000 Scenes between those Scenes so it would have worked out better (but Anakin would have been in those 2 Scenes so there is that). I also feel like the Kenobi-Grievous fight was supposed to be and filmed longer but much was cut. That can be a missinterpretation though.

Another Little funny goof I've noticed: after Sidious named Anakin Darth Vader he turns to his desk and moves towards it. You see a cut to Yoda on Kashyyyk Feeling the Impact of the Windu Killing and Anakin Turning in the force. In the next cut you again see Palpatine from left behind putting on his Sith Robes while Walking towards his desk. Where did he get those?! A funny Little blooper I think.

All in all the whole Crew outdone itself with this movie. Its an epic dramatic finale to the Prequels and very very satisfying. Its all I wished for back in the time between Episodes II and III and what I was hyped for. It still gives me goosebumps and awe and I enjoy every second of bantering and jokes and feel with every character. I LOVE THIS MOVIE!

2. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @Kyle Katarn I think epic is the perfect word to describe ROTS. For me, it's epic in scale, epic in scope, epic in emotion, epic in ambition, and epic in vision. As you say, I think that we do get to see the payoff of everything that Lucas had been building and establishing with Anakin and other characters since TPM in ROTS, and to me we get to see how everything fits together in terms of a poignant big picture in ROTS.

I loved the Jedi Starfighter sequence you mentioned, and it is one of my favorite parts of a Star Wars space battle in the entire saga. Just visually stunning.

Like you, I could really feel the bond between Obi-Wan and Anakin in the first part of ROTS, so that at the end I truly felt that something deep and important had been lost between them, which is why I'm always a mess by the end of the Mustafar duel. The way they banter with one another throughout the space battle and recusing Palpatine is great. When they say good-bye to one another before Obi-Wan goes off to hunt Grevious, my heart is torn apart by so many emotions every time. I love seeing how Obi-Wan has matured into this wise, gentle figure that really reminds me of how he relates to Luke in ANH and like Obi-Wan I feel proud of how Anakin has grown but at the same time my heart is breaking because I know this is their last time interacting as friends before Anakin falls to the Dark Side. But really the way Anakin gives a small smile and looks down when Obi-Wan praises him is so moving for me every time. I've re-watched that scene so many times and every time it packs so much emotional punch.

Truly this is a movie made for re-watching. To me, it never loses any impact. Only gains more for me with time as I notice more details and bring my own nuance and maturity to the film.

oierem, KyleKartan and Iron_lord like this.
  3. Blame_It_On_Lucas

Blame_It_On_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 29, 2004
    I too just started my Star Wars watch in preparation for TROS. Just finished Episode 1 tonight and can't wait to get to ROTS.

Revenge, as flawed as it may be, particularly in the acting and dialogue department was right up there near Empire. That's how much I love ROTS. Ranking wise, I have TLJ over it now, but it still gets a lot of replay value.

christophero30 likes this.
  4. KyleKartan

Feb 4, 2004
    Yep Iam with you 100%. A smal detail love about the good buy scene: Its the only time Anakin calls Kenobi Obi-Wan as they are equals now. Before that he always calls him Master! And at Mustafar he calls him Obi-Wan on the landing platform before the fight and "my old master" on lava platform part. Very clever writing here...

Haydens subtle acting in some scenes is just perfect. The stuff you pointed out is done perfect. Also after Kenobi left he almost immidiatly goes back to his concerned face. Hayden can express so many emotions with his face. Never got why he is called wooden!

5. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @Kyle Katarn I agree with you that Anakin calling Obi-Wan by name at the end of their good-bye scene is such a rich, moving detail. Before that, as you say, Anakin had always called Obi-Wan Master, so this change in how he addresses Obi-Wan really grabs the audience's attention to emphasize how these two are such close friends who see themselves as true equals now. To me, it was as if this conversation was so open between them that it was as if it paved the way for them to see one another as complete equals and friends. This scene to me always feels like it could be the start of an even deeper relationship between the two of them, so that makes it all the more tragic to me when Anakin falls to the Dark Side and we see their friendship disintegrate by the end of the movie. Every time I watch the scene I hope for a different ending to ROTS that of course never comes. That's what makes ROTS so powerful and heart-wrenching to me. I get so invested in the unfolding tragedy that I always want to avert it but of course I can't.

You're right that the subtlety of Hayden's acting in that scene is remarkable. He transitions from the lightening of his face with that slight smile when Obi-Wan is praising and reassuring him to a face that is again darkened by worry and stress as Obi-Wan leaves. It always makes me wonder if Anakin could've stayed in the light in a sense if Obi-Wan had remained on Coruscant by his side...

6. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I thought Hayden was much better in ROTS. He really seemed to come into his own. Not gonna bash, but there was way too much teeth grinding in AOTC.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  7. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @christophero30 I agree that to me Hayden really grew as an actor between AOTC and ROTS, really coming into his own in ROTS. I think he nailed a difficult role of a hero falling to the Dark Side in ROTS.

Iron_lord and christophero30 like this.
  8. KyleKartan

Feb 4, 2004
    I dont see his lacking in Ep II honestly. I've rewatched it some weeks ago (as I already have written) and I loved him. I think he plays the young rebel like Jedi great. You really can see his progression from Ep I to Ep II. And again he can show so many emotions with is face. Look at his face when he is with Padme before Tatooine, when his mother dies, when he is angry about his mother...