main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Rewriting the Prequels...

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by swrescripted, Jan 23, 2013.

1. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    Yes. Because they also mention looking into Darth Maul in TPM. That's two of the three PT movies where the Jedi are involved at looking into mysterious stuff.

They mention stuff like this in TPM and then actually do stuff like this in AOTC. Set-up and then pay-off.

So... Again... Unless you have a source stating otherwise, I'm calling BS. You need an actual source. Don't just repeat yourself. AN ACTUAL SOURCE.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
  2. cantthinkofone

cantthinkofone Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 6, 2020
    ill quote myself from the a post just above (which i guess you skipped)

if you are just going to repeat your post in different words, at least add something to it.

your claim is that this is stuff they routinely do.
    what is your source for that claim ? if you have any...

and no, searching for a sith is not an example. sith are the mortal enemy of the jedi, and its something they havent done in a 1000 generations. usually 1000 generations isnt considered 'routinely'.

my only claim is that the movie never mention this stuff. i dont need a source since i dont have a claim, i just say what the movie say.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
  3. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    First correction, the Sith were thought to have been made extinct 1000 YEARS ago, not generations.
    Second, you have made several claims.
    That the Jedi totally suck at investigations, that they have no idea how do that, what questions to ask and so on.
    You also claim that the Kamino would be obstinate and refuse to answer questions.

The second you have provided no evidence for and the film proves you wrong as the Kamino are quite helpful and show no hesitation in answering Obi-Wans questions.

As to the former, Obi-Wan actually does quite well on Kamino. Remember, he knows nothing of the situation. All he knows is that they are cloners and that some Jedi deleted the file in their archives.
    But then he is swept up in them greeting him and assuming he knows about their project, the clone army and all that. And he is able to play along, ask questions without giving away that he has no idea what is going on. And he also learns a fair bit. Who ordered the clone army, when, that it was at the request of the senate. He makes a point in asking who the template was and asks to see him. When talking with Jango, he makes a point in asking about Sifo-Dyas, clearly fishing for information. And he gets a name, Tyrannus.
    In this regard, Obi-wan does quite well, esp since he was unprepared. Not the meathead that you argue he is, that has no idea what an investigation is. "Duuuhh... how do you invessstiagggeeee things.... what are questiooonnns... and how do you ask people... uuuhhh, this is sooo difficult..."

What the Jedi do what that information, that is much more questionable as they seem to do nothing.
    And Obi-Wan, for some reason, does not mention Tyrannus to Mace and Yoda, which could be important. Nor does he do they very obvious thing of asking them when Sifo-Dyas died. He thinks Sifo-Dyas was killed BEFORE the clone was ordered but he is not totally sure. So anyone with a brain would then ask Mace and Yoda to confirm when Sifo-Dyas was killed. "Hey, I think Sifo-Dyas killed dec 10, 1999, is that correct?" But alas such an elementary thing was beyond Obi-Wan. Nor did Mace and Yoda ask for details, like "When exactly did the Kamino people say the order was placed?"
    But again, the Jedi have to be stupid in order for the plot to work.

It was super obvious but if you slept though the film then I can see why you would think it wasn't.
    The clone army is said to have been ordered by a Jedi but said Jedi is dead and was apparently killed before the order was placed. Meaning the order was placed under a false name. The planet where the army is being made has been deleted from the Jedi archives, something only a Jedi could have done.
    The clone template has never heard of the Jedi that supposedly ordered the army and he mentions someone else, that we later learn is Dooku. Who is a Sith and is working with Sidious.
    So the Sith were behind the clone army and said army also obeys orders without question.
    So I only needed to see the clones and hear about "Obeys orders without question" to know that they would kill the Jedi in the next film. And no surprise, they did.

It was much the same with TPM and Shmi. I knew right away that something bad would happen to her and that would affect Anakin in a major way. I did not know the details but I knew enough.

Sorry about what happened to your family. A close friend to my mother had both parents in the camps but they survived thankfully.
    But my point is that while not every Jew about what was going on, some did. That is a historical fact.

When is it established that seeing the future is extremely rare? The way Yoda talked about it suggested that having visions through the Force was pretty common Jedi ability. The future was always in motion and thus hard to see. But nowhere is it said that only powerful Jedi can do this.
    This is yet another claim you make.

1. Shmi was important to Anakin and we spent a fair bit of time with her. Just forgetting that she existed does not do the film or the characters any favors. And it was not hard to solve. Just have Padme mention that she will help Shmi at the end of TPM. And then in AotC we have her tell Anakin that she freed Shmi from slavery but Shmi elected to remain on Tatooine. So when Anakin goes back, he goes to her house but she isn't there and then asks Watto where she is. Simple.

2. Padme being a ruler of a planet has the advantage that she has people working for her. So all she needs to do is ask one of her people to go and take care of this. It would take maybe an hour of her time.
    And she and her planet owes Anakin and Shmi thanks. That she just forgets about it paints her as cold and uncaring.

3. Qui-Gon can not take Shmi with him as then the bomb in her body would blow up, killing her. He tried to free her along with Anakin. But Watto would not have it. So he sold the pod and Anakin gave her the money. It was all he could do at the time. But some EU, which might not be canon anymore, had Qui-Gon send a valuable lens to her once he was back on Coruscant and she could use this lens to buy her own freedom. Showing that Qui-Gon at least did not forget she existed once they left Tatooine and he wanted to do the kind and compassionate thing and help.

"If you can't help everyone then you should help no one." Is that your argument?
    Very defeatist and in my experience is used by people that want to justify their inaction. They don't want to help anyone but that sounds bad so they say this instead.

The ancient Greeks did not think the world was flat but thought it is was round. Eratosthenes actually calculated the diameter of Earth and he was not that far off.

Your argument is that stupid is choosing not to do the correct thing.
    But you also argue that the Jedi suck at investigating and you said;
    So by your own argument, the Jedi are stupid. They are terrible at investigating and should have hired someone more qualified to do it. But they did not. Ergo they are stupid.

@gezvader28
    Ok, I'll bite.
    "Wow.. so you think that out of whole galaxy worth of mercs Dooku just happened to pick the one guy that was involved in making a clone army that would fight for the Republic? The same Republic he plans to attack." "Let's see, we have about 100 000 systems in the galaxy and assuming 100 mercs on average per system, that is about 10 million mercs. So the odds that Dooku by pure chance hired Jango is about 0,00001%." "Those are not good odds."

"Yes, Nute wanted Padme dead and Dooku promised to take care of it. By using Jango. So Jango clearly works for Dooku. Just an odd thing that Nute never hired someone to kill Padme for ten years. Why did he wait? And strange coincidence that Jango made his attempt just when Padme was coming back to Coruscant to vote on the army bill. And she was opposed to that army. So with her death, the army bill might have passed. And Dooku would be aware that this would not be good for him. If he plans for war, he wants the Republic to be weak. So he would want Padme to stay alive and block the army vote.
    So it would not be in his interest to kill her."

"Also odd that Kamino was deleted from the Jedi files and even odder that Sifo-Dyas, the Jedi that the Kamino said placed the order, was killed before the order was placed. So someone just used his name it seems.
    A Jedi must be involved in this as only a Jedi could have deleted the file. But a Jedi would not have the money needed to pay for this. And would a Jedi go behind our back and also the senates back to place this order?"
    "And Jango mentioned someone called Tyrannus as the person who hired him. Who could that be? The name sounds a but dark."
    "But if Dooku was this Tyrannus then it tracks that he could have deleted the file and he could have posed as Sifo-Dyas when ordering the army." "That would explain why he used Jango ten years later."
    "But if Dooku just wanted a clone army, he could have ordered one himself, the Kamino will work for anyone that can pay."
    "Something does not add up here, we should be cautions."

There is no of course as the Jedi don't talk about most of the iffy things with the clone army.
    That their archives have been tampered with is forgotten. The Jango-Dooku connection is never mentioned. The name Tyrannus is also never brought up. The date mismatch, also forgotten after it was mentioned. The Jedi mostly ignore things and are never shown to dig further.
    So the Sith need to do nothing as the Jedi are too clueless to see the massive warning signs.

If the story was the Sifo-Dyas had a vision of the seps attack and urged the Jedi to create an army as the Republic had none. But the Jedi would not hear of it as they could not sidestep the senate. So Sifo-Dyas talks to Dooku, who has turned, and he along with chancellor Palpatine manipulate Sifo-Dyas into placing the order and leaving proof behind that he did. And then they kill him before he can tell the JC what he did. And then Dooku deletes the Kamino file so as to reduce the risk that the Jedi stumble on this army.
    Then the plan is ofr Dooku to create the seps and build up their army and when the clones are ready, Dooku would make a public threat or attack some republic world and Palpatine would "discover" the clone army and war will begin. The Jedi would not know anything and if they dug into it, all they would learn is that Sifo-Dyas placed the order, nothing else. No Jango, no Tyrannus. So the Jedi have little to go on and war has now started.

That would make a fair bit of sense.
    But we don't get that. Sifo-Dyas was seemingly killed before the order was placed. And according to Lucas, Sifo-Dyas was actually a Sith.

And people have argued that Palpatine planned for the dart, that Obi-wan would know Dex, go to Kamino, that Jango would fail to kill him and lead Obi-Wan to Geonosis and all that. To me, this makes less sense and only works if you assume that Palpatine has read the script.

Bye for now.
    The Guarding Dark

Dandelo and FightoftheForgotten like this.
  4. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    1) There are countless systems in the Republic, and not one of them had an army from what I could tell. Does one have to give up the right to defend their planet when one joins the Republic? 'sounds an awful lot like a dictatorship to me'

or

2) better yet, why doesn't the Republic itself have an army? or at least an army reserve?

"nothing they could have done?"

a bit of foresight is all that was needed.

To be frank with the attitude the Republic had, they were asking to be invaded.

5. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    The movie never delves into this. Probably because Lucas didn't give it much thought.

6. cantthinkofone

Apr 6, 2020
    that question will make the kamino people immediatly on "red alert". "why is obi-wan asking when the product was ordered ?" "are you really obi-wan ?" >guns out<
    asking questions is a very delicate matter which requires special training and basic understanding of human reaction.

the idea that the jedi are competent in investigation and interrogation is preposterous.

could have, should have, would have.

from who ? the yuuzhan vong ?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
  7. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    But Obi-Wan knows when the order was made. He just doesn't know when Sifo-Dyas died. That's not a question for the Kaminoans... it's a question for the Jedi.

But according to YOUR EXAMPLE, Obi-Wan did the right thing by not asking the Kaminoans questions that would give away that he wasn't actually coming for an inspection. So... are you saying Obi-Wan is bad at investigations because he doesn't ask questions that will blow his cover. That... that doesn't make any sense.

What is your argument again? Because you just made an argument that supports that Obi-Wan is good at investigating BECAUSE he didn't blow his cover story. Yet you followed it up with, "the idea that the jedi are competent in investigation and interrogation is preposterous."

You have officially flipflopped your argument over the course of only two paragraphs. I'm not going to lie, that's impressive.

Samuel Vimes likes this.
  8. Samuel Vimes

Sep 4, 2012
    Try and read what I write. I said this;
    So I was talking about Mace and Yoda asking Obi-Wan for details.

Earlier you asked that people quote your whole posts;
    But here you do a partial quite of what I said and try and twist my meaning or you failed to understand what my argument was. As others have said, try and read what those you argue with are actually saying.
    And if you want people to quote your entire phrases, have the courtesy to do so yourself.

Also, Obi-Wan knows when the order was placed, the Kamino people told him. Either he asked and they told him or they told him regardless. So Obi-Wan was able to find out when the order was placed without the Kamino people smelling a rat.

As FightoftheForgotten said, Obi-wan is able to ask a whole bunch of question to the Kamino people and they never suspect him or try to kill him. So he actually is able to play along and not blow his cover.
    So here is is actually quite competent.
    Also, Mace and Yoda tells Obi-Wan to capture Jango and bring him to them and they will question him.
    So again here we have the Jedi wanting to do something that you argue they totally suck at.

Bye.
    Old Stoneface

9. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    The issue stems from WHEN the Jedi are competent. They are consistently competent at doing investigations right up until they could figure it out. And then, because of the plot, they suddenly become morons.

Anyone who has ever written anything knows this is the type of issues you run into during your first draft. You know what you want to happen, but you haven't quite gotten it all figured out yet so you just have you characters going from one predetermined set piece to another.

The thing is... you're supposed to go back and fix it all with another draft.

10. IJjones41

IJjones41 Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2021
    Isn't that why the Separatist movement had become so popular with many systems, which both "Attack of the Clones" and "Revenge of the Sith" had indicated? Not all of the Separatists were "villains" like the Trade Federation and the Banking Clans. Even Padme had acknowledged this in "Revenge of the Sith".

11. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    No, the movies don't discuss this. At all. Just watching the three prequel films does not explain why the Separatists want to secede. It doesn't explain their reasoning or their demands.

Padme asks Anakin is she thinks they could be on the wrong side because she sees how corrupt the Republic has gotten. But that still doesn't answer what the Separatists want.

12. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    from anybody.
    The GFFA isn't some sort of Utopia where the Sith and the EU created Vong are the only threat in existence.
    does it?

I don't know the motivations of anybody outside Palpatine and Anakin.

The opening crawl states that several thousand solar systems want to leave the Republic. The Republic immediately jump to the conclusion this could mean war. (why we don't know, it just happens they were right because...the script said so)
    Imagine if these clowns were in charge of the European Union.
    "so and so wants to leave"
    "alright...prepare for war"

13. cantthinkofone

Apr 6, 2020
    there are history books professors specialize on civil war for the specific reasons of why the south secceeded from the union. the movie gave the jist of it, the republic is getting too corrupt, complicit and have an unknown sith in an influential position according to dooku and the trade federation.

i thought you were talking about obi wan. sorry.
    im asking to read or quote a sentence or short phrase (fightofthefotgotten at some points skimmed my sentences to make his own). but you wrote a whole page, im not gonna read that in a post. maybe if it was the op, but its not.

14. cantthinkofone

Apr 6, 2020
    the clone wars is basically based on the american civil war. lincoln started it because the south left and claimed sovereignty.

15. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    I think the American Civil war was a bit more complex than, 'I want to leave, thanks'

FightoftheForgotten likes this.
  16. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    I posted this in another thread.

christophero30 and Dandelo like this.
  17. cantthinkofone

Apr 6, 2020
    and so is the clone wars.
    we arent going to talk the american civil war, right ? because this will become a long talk between people who read/learned stuff, but dont really know. some things are better left for the experts.

18. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    Agreed.

Just listen to to Anakin and Obi-Wan's conversation in AOTC.

ANAKIN
    We will find out who is trying to
    kill you Padmé, I promise you.

He's done it again. He bites his lip in frustration and shame. OBI-WAN gives ANAKIN a dirty look.

OBI-WAN
    We are not going to exceed our
    mandate, my young Padawan learner.

ANAKIN
    I meant in the interest of
    protecting her, Master, of course.

OBI-WAN
    We are not going through this
    exercise again, Anakin. You will
    pay attention to my lead.

ANAKIN
    Why?

OBI-WAN
    What??!!

ANAKIN
    Why else do you think we were
    assigned to her, if not to find
    the killer? Protection is a job
    for local security... not Jedi.
    It's overkill, Master.
    Investigation is implied in our
    mandate.

Investigations are a thing Jedi do, this is not open to debate.

You are missing the point.
    The Clone Wars as described in the movies are pretty basic and simple, so nothing is explained.

I have no clue when you became a fan, but when I was, we only had the movies, TCW show didn't come out for years later and we didn't know at the time there was even gonna be such a show...

nor can you expect people who want to watch a set of movies to 'oh just go and watch 7 seasons of this cartoon, that will explain the important stuff'

that's not how things should be.

19. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    Just read up about the entire history of the American Civil War, silly billy.

Thank you.

20. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Fun fact: the Civil War was not in fact civil.

21. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    That's not how odds work and this isn't a lottery .
    Jango has recently done a job for the separatists , it's certainly not unlikely that he would've have also done a job for the Republic in the last 10 years.
    He's a merc he'll have done many jobs made many contacts , he'll work for anyone .

who says he waited ? We don't know this is the first time , her security crew seemed hyper nervous , even using the decoy method when arriving at Coruscant , seems they've had trouble before.

it's politics.
    He needs the trade federation droid army .
    But it also suits him if the army vote is passed , then the seps will feel threatened and attack the republic , who let's face it can't produce an army overnight . The commerce guild want war.

if Dooku was Tyrranus ? Where'd you get that from?
    This is the thing - you've already been shown the picture and then you've connected the dots.
    The Jedi haven't the knowledge you've been privvy to.

You assume they don't but I assume they do and the sith would also cover their tracks mis-lead etc.( I'm talking about after AOTC here.) Tyranus would be the key , but he'll be hard to find. And now they've got to keep an eye on the senate too.

The Jedis problem is that everything came to a head so fast , the senate voted for the army , Yoda went to Kamino and he had to make a decision on the spot , no time for investigations .
    And imagine if you're fighting with these men , you form a trust and a bond , that's made clear , after a while that's what would matter .

22. IJjones41

IJjones41 Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2021
    I think people should leave the Prequels alone, unless they're interested in writing fan fiction.

wobbits likes this.
  23. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    You do realize which thread you're in, right?

You are correct... but investigations operate from the standpoint that nothing is coincidence until all other options have been resolved. Jumping on "it's a coincidence" right off the bat is not how these things are done. That's simply not how you conduct an investigation. It's just not.

Plus, the Jedi never discuss this connection AT ALL which means they weren't even intelligent enough to notice this (whether it was a coincidence or not) at all.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
    Dandelo and Samuel Vimes like this.
  24. Samuel Vimes

Sep 4, 2012
    No, that is how odds work if you want to argue that Dooku hiring Jango was nothing more than pure, random chance. That out of all the millions of potential assassins that Dooku could have hired, he just happened to pick the one person that was also the template for a clone army for the Republic.
    As FightoftheForgotten said and I have said this many times as well, it is POSSIBLE that Jango was hired by mere chance but that should never be the first assumption. Any competent investigator would never start with that as their theory. It would be the last alternative if all other options turn up nothing.

Also, the Kamino people said they keep Jango on Kamino. So he has done less work for the last ten years. He could leave yes but he had a son to take care of and the Kamino people kept him there.
    Either because they came to him whenever they started new batches or Jango was in some way involved with the training of the clones. Either way, Jango has been out of circulation so to speak.
    So the clone army is not a past job, it is a current job for Jango.

If there had been other attempts, that is important enough to be mentioned. Esp if this has gone on for several years. Also, how come Padme does not suspect Nute or name him as the one who is after her?
    When she talks with Anakin and Obi-Wan, she says that she wants to know who is trying to kill her.
    If Nute has tried several times over the past ten years, then either, Padme has found out that Nute did this but if so, why does she not suspect him here? Or she has no idea who tried to have her killed all those times before. But then she would be sort of accustomed to this, people have tried to kill her for years and she has no idea who. Or has she always accused Dooku for doing this?
    Further, if Nute is capable of hiring assassins himself, why does he need to ask Dooku for help?

The seps have been preparing for war for some time so clearly they did not need an excuse, they were totally willing to attack. And part of that would likely be because they thought the Republic was weak, that it had nothing except the Jedi.

And consider, the whole Republic, at least those not part of the seps, could not come up with 200 000 soldiers and maybe 20 ships on short notice? That means that these worlds have basically no defenses.

It was a supposition that the Jedi could make.
    They know a Jedi must be involved in this and they know that Jango is connected to Dooku.
    So if they do more digging and confirm that Sifo-Dyas was indeed dead when the order was placed, then which Jedi was involved? Dooku is a possibility here, he was a Jedi so he could have deleted the file. He would know of Sifo-Dyas death and could pose as him. Plus the above mentioned connection to Jango.

The film never shows or even hints that they did anything. The Jedi often don't even talk or acknowledge the many fishy things with the clone army. They never talk about Tyrannus, the never talk about the Jango-Dooku connection. It is as if they did not notice those things. The deleted file is never brought back or who could have ordered the army if it was not Sifo-Dyas. Mysteries are set up and then dropped.

And it would not be difficult to add a few lines in AotC about them intending to dig deeper and then in RotS, they talk about what they have learned. It is not that much but they have concluded that someone in the chancellors office is involved. They don't know if it is Palpatine or someone close to him. And that is why they ask Anakin to spy, to find out who was involved in this as they need proof if they are to go public with this.

And IF I assume they did dig further, the problems only gets worse. The film have Obi-Wan say that Sifo-Dyas was killed before the order was placed and never proves him wrong. So if I think the Jedi dug deeper I would think that they confirmed this. So they know the army was ordered under a false name.
    In addition to being illegal. If they then asked the Kamino people more questions. Since Sifo-Dyas was not involved, if the person that posed as him came there in person, the Kamino people would not recognize Sifo-Dyas from a picture. If this person showed his face, then the Jedi have that to go on. If this person wore a mask, that is even further proof that something is up. Why would "Sifo-Dyas" hide his face?
    Jango mentioned Tyrannus so ask about him. If the Kamino people have never heard of him then ask why they accepted Jango as the template? Jango has never heard of Sifo-Dyas and so could not have used that name.
    So even if I assume that the Jedi did dig further and the Sith covered their tracks super well, then the Jedi would have even more reasons to worry. This army is illegal, ordered under a false name and who-ever was involved, have gone to great lengths to cover their tracks. This screams of something being wrong.

What should matter is that the clones can not choose to be loyal, if they are given an order to kill all Jedi, they would obey without question and the Jedi knows this.
    Also, between Obi-Wan reporting from Kamino and the senate vote, some time did pass. A day or two at least. So the Jedi could have sent someone to Kamino to dig further while Obi-Wan went after Jango.
    And the deleting of the file happened even earlier so the Jedi had time to dig into that but all Yoda said he would do is meditate on it. "Try not to hurt yourself working so hard there"

Bye for now.
    The Guarding Dark

25. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    What does make this worse is, by the time ROTS starts, the opening crawl and Palpatine are referring to Dooku as a Sith Lord. So now the Jedi must know that Dooku is a Sith, and they still haven't been able to put these clues together.

Unless Palpatine name-dropped Dooku as a Sith Lord and it went completely over Obi-Wan AND Anakin's heads... in which case... wow.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022