main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey & Kylo Ren in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Sforza, Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    I think if the rumours are true it will have more in common with the reveal in the original cut of Revenge of the Sith.

But Im just guessing.

That is interesting about Sidious playing them. It's likely.

It's happened in both ROTS and ROTJ with the added layer that this time one of his targets is one half of a dyad that has already long turned (Kylo). And we don't know how Kylo is valuable to Plapy - is he a sacrifice?
    Im thinking they will change it up and Palpatine's surprise might be bigger than his past ones.

This is gonna be a wild ride.

Eta - Maybe possessing Kylo and ruling alongside dark Rey? Ew...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    Dandelo likes this.
  2. Joystick Chevron

Joystick Chevron Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2017
    "Have I told you the story of the woman who broke my heart and turned me evil? It's not a TV episode post-Lucas LucasFilm would produce for you."

3. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    more like

"I'm looking forward to kylo completing your training in time the galaxy will call you MASTER"

*tweak dialogue from ROTJ*

there ending of TROS.

Jedi Knight Fett and HevyDevy like this.
  4. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    No it fits on no level like that. Is Leia important to Rey? Sure I guess, we can assume that because we certainly haven't been shown a super tight relationship. Regardless, that doesn't make Kylo's soul personal to Rey in the very same story where Rey presumably isn't going to GAS about her own grampy. Once again, what's more personal to Rey? Being a victim of a stranger/psychopath that abducted, tortured, and tormented her directly and personally? Or caring about the soul of the sociopathic son of a lady that she knows?

5. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Excuse me, didn't you see Leia embrace Rey despite the fact that they never met each other at that point in TFA? That relationship is rock solid. :p

6. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

ForceGhostPrincessLeia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 22, 2018
    Leia gave Rey jewelry! #Reia

wobbits likes this.
  7. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    I mean, I don't get why people say she should have hugged Chewie instead of Rey. She can't just start busting out the rollers in her time of triumph.

8. TechnoTerror

TechnoTerror Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 26, 2019
    No, I'm not. I'm saying you're not fully contextualizing Luke's motivation.

You're reducing it to one thing, when it wasn't presented as such..

The point is the familia connection doesn't work on it's own.

9. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Uh it absolutely was presented that way. Luke in RotJ says he can’t kill his father. He doesn’t say he can’t kill the bad guy that spared him to recruit him to the dark side that one time.

10. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    seriously you don't get that criticism?

it's fine to disagree with the criticism and think it hardly matters or if you think it was leading up to something...even in TROS

but to say "you don't get it" seems a little disingenuous.

11. Amdrag

Amdrag Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 26, 2008
    I can see this being the story JJ originally wanted to tell. I can see him continuing it here. The issue is TLJ did not create this great relationship with Rey and Luke.

Looking at it now, I can see the basic structure of the trilogy. Rey hangs out with Han, and they bond. She hangs out with Luke, and they bond. She hangs out with Leia, and they bond. A movie for each, which basically makes her family. Sadly with Carrie's passing and how TLJ played out, it has issues. But I can totally see that as the original concept. Especially as JJ isolated Rey and Luke and it seemed everyone knew IX was Leia's "big one".

12. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    I was being facetious. Hence the statement about the rollers.

13. Amdrag

Aug 26, 2008
    I get it. I just think the sentiment is slightly wrong. In my mind Leia should have went to Chewie in that moment, but Chewie being Chewie he would have rejected her and stayed with Finn. Both in his pain and his shame. Leia should have then showed signs of understanding, and went over to the young girl she can sense is in great anguish. Then when Chewie is sitting alone later, you have Leia come to him and he accepts her embrace. And then you actually have Luke and Chewie have a conversation about how they both feel responsible for Han's death in TLJ, maybe during a certain porg cookout that also sees Luke ask for permission to enter the Falcon... but that is another discussion for another time. [face_dancing]

Neesh and Joystick Chevron like this.
  14. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Guys, I was joking about the carelessness of the scene.

15. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    oh alright, carry on then :p

nope

That would have been awful imho.

16. Amdrag

Aug 26, 2008
    It's too late!!! It's in the water now!!!! It cannot be contained!!!!!

Well you point me in the right direction and I am more then willing to discuss it.

Dandelo likes this.
  17. TechnoTerror

TechnoTerror Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 26, 2019
    No, he said explicity,

"I feel the good you in you, the conflct."

"You couldn't destroy me then, i don't believe you can destroy me now."

"I feel the conflict within you. Let go of your hate."

If Luke doesn't have those hints, there is no reason to bother. It's not just that Vader is his dad...

I never wrote that you can seperate the familia connection to Luke's motivation(as presented in this story). I wrote it was MORE than that...

18. Amdrag

Aug 26, 2008
    I get what you are saying and I do kind of agree. But Luke won't kill Vader not because he can feel some good in him, but specifically because he is his father. It is why Obi-Wan didn't want him to know. It is why Luke even searches for that good in him in the first place. He doesn't do it with the many others he destroys in RotJ. While at the same time, he puts his life on the line to save his father multiple times.

19. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    This thread has been all over the place today, and hardly any of those places has resembled the topic. Let's get out the map and see if we can locate it, shall we?

20. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014

...you forgot Finn, Poe and Maz coming in feeling responsible for Han's death too ;)

Back to Rey & Kylo though.

cousins at this point? or Rey Palpatine...place your bets.

christophero30 and Amdrag like this.
  21. Amdrag

Aug 26, 2008
    I now just imagined a big sequence where they have group grief counseling, including Kylo, and I want to see this so much now. Especially when Kylo eventually storms out.

22. Cave of Erised

Cave of Erised Jedi Knight star 2

May 3, 2018
    Cousins sounds devastating: You go your whole life missing your parents. Dad was with you for a short while but you didn’t know it, really enjoy it, or even really have a moment. At least Luke got one final moment with Anakin even if it was brief. If RJ thought hearing that they were nobodies was hard for her to hear, it has nothing on this.

I don’t see it happening personally. Things could have changed and be misunderstood, but I take JJ Abraham’s and Pablo Hildago’s comments at face value: in the former, Rey’s parents were not in TFA and that rules out Luke. In the latter, it was suggested that Rey would recognize her parents if she saw them and that didn’t happen at the end of TFA or TLJ with Luke.

Dandelo likes this.
  23. Amdrag

Aug 26, 2008
    Is JJ Abrahams like JJ Abrams, but with a big ole beard?

As to Rey recognizing her parents. That does not seem to make sense with what is present in TLJ. Where they keep them "hidden" like she either doesn't know what they look like or they don't want us to know what they look like. Which is just... strange.

I am still personally hoping for, the people she thought were her parents, weren't her parents, but the people raising her Lars style.

24. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    JJ Abraham Lincoln.

Amdrag likes this.
  25. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Abrams said he approached TFA like he was making a Terrence Malick film. Malick is impressionistic.

We aren't told who Rey's family is in TFA. But rather who feels like they are her family?

J. J. Abrams: “Instead of just having ‘Star Wars’ movies as a reference for this, I also went back and watched some of my favorite films. Obviously ‘Seven Samurai’…some of the John Ford films, because I knew those were also influences that George [Lucas] had.” “[Terrence] Malick [is] not a director you would normally think you’d…go to for a ‘Star Wars’ movie and yet…I don’t know of a more profound and emotional filmmaker than Malick. It sounds very pretentious to say ‘oh I’m inspired by this person, that person’, it’s more about…seeing things that you can aspire to…and where appropriate apply lessons that you’re learning from them.”(December 10, 2015)
    J. J. Abrams: “You know, I felt when we started shooting this movie that there were a couple of things that were not quite solved.” “There were some things that we tried that ended up not being in the movie because they didn’t fit or they didn’t deserve to be in the movie. I found that in many cases the less we tried to do, the more powerful what was there was. So in some cases it was more about removing certain things that ultimately ended up being extraneous.” (December 10, 2015)
    J. J. Abrams: “I think part of it was efficiency. Learning how to say as much as we can by saying as little as possible, along with clarity of story and character intention. I would say that the greatest lesson/takeaway from working with Lawrence Kasdan, for me, was trusting the story, trusting the material, trusting the characters, not propping everything up [or] dancing so hard to sell a point. Trust that the audience will make the connection and give them room to do so. Larry was always the voice of ‘Say less’ — which is, by the way, a very funny thing because in some recent screenings we’ve had, he is shockingly the one arguing to put some lines of dialogue back in. And I’m always calling him up, saying, ‘How are you, Lawrence Kasdan, asking to put this line of dialogue back in?’ But I always loved when he misses a line.” (December 11, 2015)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.