main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey & Kylo Ren in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Sforza, Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cave of Erised

Cave of Erised Jedi Knight star 2

May 3, 2018
    lol. He is more honest so the myth goes.

ETA: I cut it out but you bring up a good point on TLJs framing of Rey’s question as more of who rather than a where.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  2. JohnWilliamsSonoma

JohnWilliamsSonoma Force Ghost star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    No. She doesn’t say “who are my parents?” She says, “let me see them.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Kylo: I saw who your parents are.

Dandelo likes this.
  4. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Quick attempt at how I could see the Sidious and Rey confrontation beginning and playing out in IX...

REY: This ends now.

SIDIOUS: Leave us.

(Servants leave)

SIDIOUS: You have no idea how long I’ve waited for this day...

To be... with family again.

REY: Don’t even try it. I came here to end you. To end this.

SIDIOUS: And I believe you. I can feel your anger growing. Anger is something I’ve known all too well. But do you know, Rey, what’s even more powerful than anger?

(Rey refuses to answer)

SIDIOUS: Family. The Skywalkers taught me that.

REY: You know nothing of it! All you’ve done is destroy families.

SIDIOUS: History is decided by the victors. However, families in our Empire thrived. Families across the galaxy were safe. Protected.

REY: They needed protection from you.

SIDIOUS: Quite right, Granddaughter. For that is precisely the reason I sent your father away.

REY: Liar!

SIDIOUS: I don’t lie, Rey. Not any more. Your father was a kind boy. He deserved better. I couldn’t control my powers, you see. Oh, I thought I could. Thought I’d figured it all out. Thought I could use the Dark Side to protect the galaxy... But in the end... the Dark Side used me. Your father wasn’t safe around me back then. Can you imagine what it feels like to not know what might happen with your abilities?

(Rey now does)

REY: Prove it. Why should I believe you? About any of this?

SIDIOUS: That dagger you hold was your father’s and you know it.

(She looks at it once more and know this to be true)

SIDIOUS CONT’D: It’s the one thing I gave to him to protect himself with. Ancient. Historic. I thought that if he ever learned the power of the dark side as I had we’d meet again. Little did I know that same dagger would be a target of theft and lead to his and your mother’s deaths.

(Rey drops it to the ground. The thought of that enrages her and the room shakes)

Your father was not like me, Rey...

You are.

We were destined for this moment, you and I. Both our lives leading to this. Long have you wondered what the force wanted of you and I the same. You were meant to find your family and I was meant to help you stop the First Order with my resources. To stop Ben Solo and end the mistake I made with Darth Vader that lives on in him. Won’t you let me help you to end this, Rey? I beg you. Let’s do this together. As a family. Then you can make the galaxy precisely as you wish. Better than I ever could.

(Ben Solo enters room)

BEN SOLO: Rey! Don’t believe a word!

SIDIOUS: You! Not a step closer! Stay away from my family!

(Turning to Rey)

SIDIOUS CONT’D: Rey, he cares nothing of family and only of power. He wishes to use you to kill me as he did Snoke.

BEN SOLO: Rey, it was him who sent Ochie to kill your parents. Only once he realized your power and what you could do for him did he care about you. He tried to offer you to me so that we would rule together.

SIDIOUS: Preposterous. We can end him together.

REY: SILENCE!!! Both of you!!! Neither of you can be trusted! Neither of you will change! And neither of you have what I’m looking for. Not any more.

(Rey ignites her saber)

SIDIOUS: Very well.

(Sidious raises his hands and both Rey & Ben levitate and turn sideways. Both fight this but cannot.)

SIDIOUS CONT’D: However, that is not the case for me. You two both have precisely what I’ve been looking for my whole life to cheat death coursing through your veins and now that power is mine!

(Sidious begins using their power to rejuvenate himself and by the end he looks healthier and as he did in ROTS)

5. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    [​IMG]

6. JohnWilliamsSonoma

Aug 7, 2003
    I really don’t think “I changed my ways” is going to be a very compelling proposition lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HevyDevy likes this.
  7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Maybe if they sing "I'm goin' my way"?

Bor Mullet and godisawesome like this.
  8. alwayslurking

alwayslurking Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 21, 2019
    Is Rey actually going to be tempted by Palpatine in that final throne room scene? I'm not sure if there is more current info out there, but this is from JP's first big dump:
    Nothing about the above makes me think that Rey is going to have some huge temptation towards the dark side once she is in Palpatine's presence. Especially given her earlier encounter with Luke:
    IMO, this reads like she has her possible flirtation with the dark side when she fights Kylo, and it is resolved with Luke on the island. Otherwise, she's repeating the same arc twice in the movie.

Dandelo likes this.
  9. Broom Kid

Broom Kid Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 16, 2019
    That's my understanding as well. The notion that she's related to Palpatine is there not to tempt her, but to activate latent self-doubt, along with the lightning thing, and the fight with Kylo. And then she goes to Ahch-To, and Luke does for her what Yoda did for Luke - talks her back off the ledge.

10. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    She has to be tested versus Sidious as his granddaughter. This has to grow. The lightning in the first act is a strong hint that she will be pushed more than Luke was in ROTJ and why shouldn’t she as the granddaughter of Sidious? She’s been presented as a savant where things have come easy to her in power and showed dark side curiosity in VIII and force lightning in the first act of IX. It sounds a little like a Dark Phoenix scenario in a way in that her power is exceeding her control. That grows to her raging on Kylo and having a dark side vision and guidance but she has to have one final test after that and Sidious has to be her toughest test yet who plays on family and purpose and manipulation. This is where she discovers her found family and purpose and that she’s above even Sidious level manipulation now due to both and her growth.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don’t have a problem with Rey being related to Palpatine in and of itself, but I do have a problem with Melodramatic Find-My-Purpose Self-Doubt Rey. Since Luke and Anakin did not deal with that, it almost looks like a characterization based on the dumb stereotype that women are more prone to self-doubt and navel-gazing. We had more than enough of Show Me My Purpose Rey in TLJ.

12. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    On the one hand the force basically comes out of her butt with no effort but on the other she is supposed to really struggle with not falling for a charisma-free incel and the "temptation" that an old evil dude provides. Oooh, what a dilemma.

She doesn't have any physical challenges but the "psychological" challenges she is supposed to have I find ludicrous and silly.

Now psychological challenges are harder to write because struggling physically is more clear-cut and easier to convey to an audience but I know that for female protagonists and the "beauty is never tarnished" trope, most writers balk from that. Unfortunately. Gender should have no bearing on that.

Just as you can absolutely write psychological challenges for both genders. You just need to be a much better writer to make them complelling and relatable and real. And for women, writers unfortunately often go to their idea of "chick struggles". Which turns me off/bores me to tears.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  13. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018

Methinks this is chip-on-shoulder stuff right here.

Like Luke, OT and ST alike, isn't prone to "self-doubt"? It's a part of the hero thing. If you're 100% past any self-doubt and see yourself as above question, chances are you're the bad guy.

Seeing sexism where there isn't any seems to be the flavor of the month (half-decade?), but yeah.

14. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

ForceGhostPrincessLeia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 22, 2018
    When, specifically, did Anakin and Luke moan about what their purpose was and spend a whole movie trying to figure out why they were in that movie?

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Exactly. And this discussion came about over the idea of this nonsense continuing over yet another movie. It’s as if “someone, anyone, needs to tell me what to do because I am either unwilling or unable to think for myself” has become her characterization in its entirety. And Luke and Anakin were absolutely not written that way.

16. NOTJEDIMATERIAL

NOTJEDIMATERIAL Jedi Knight star 3

May 3, 2018
    Precisely why the idea of her being a Palpy does nothing for me or her for that matter. She should have been shown dealing with this earlier and effectively doing so as time allows making her character grow and be strong.

17. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    When did Rey?

18. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    I guess Luke questioned "what am I doing here?" on Dagobah once but I think he was just refering to findimg himself on a stupid swamp planet. ;)

19. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    "I need someone to show me my place in all this." A quote from Rey in TLJ that pretty much sums up much of her motivations, behavior, and philosophy in TLJ in my opinion. I think we saw enough of that "desperate to receive purpose from others" Rey in TLJ. I hope she's grown out of that phase by TROS especially since we'll have a time skip that should've allowed Rey to discover her own purpose, which she has found for herself rather than been handed by anyone.

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    “I need someone to show me my place in this” and then letting friggin’ Kylo do it because Luke was done people-ing and apparently independent self-discovery could not possibly be an option.

21. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    The section I bolded was probably the worst part for me. Rey apparently has so little agency as a character that she looked to someone she knows to be a villain to find her purpose for her. Of all the people in the galaxy, Kylo after TFA should've been the one to whom she would least look for advice or guidance. That's a huge part of why TLJ doesn't work for me. I just can't find that a believable character decision even on re-watching the movie. In fact, to me it becomes worse on re-watch than first view.

22. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I think Rey does need internal conflict, it's just that very little of the internal conflict since TFA has made as much sense, and the leaks only really seem genuinely organic to me when they suggest Rey's antagonism with Kylo causes her to be tempted by the dark side because she's facing Kylo - I still firmly believe that his actions should easily justify seemingly-righteous but in fact too-vicious wrath on her part. Palpatine honestly strikes me as a character introduced so late into her story, that even incorporating some familial or mad scientist ties to Rey's origin doesn't make me think he can really manipulate her with the velvet glove - I think he'd need to coerce her blatantly instead.

It's easy to see Rey's fear and anger getting the better of her if the film brings up some emotional rawness over what Kylo's done (probably more from TFa than from TLJ) and then trigger dangerous fury from her when Kylo threatens a friend again. This can make the idea of a tug-of-war over a ship carrying Chewie or whoever seem like an intuitive demonstration of believable flaws on her part.

It's just that I think we all know that they want there to be more to Rey and Kylo's relationship than just Rey being (being completely justified and emphatically) angry at him, and that feels like it needs a restart after TLJ botched the job into cancerous mischaracterization.

23. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Well either way that will be turned upside down in this film.

Rey: i know my own purpose now :)
    (heals a sandworm with new healing power, fires dark side lightning, is told her parents were killed bu a sith dagger and Emporer Darth Sidious is her grandfather)
    Rey: wtf, wtf! WTF!!!!

24. JohnWilliamsSonoma

Aug 7, 2003
    Luke and Anakin both grew up in loving homes. Rey didn't. She raised herself, and endured sleepless nights because of deep loneliness. This loneliness and neediness keeps her stuck on Jakku. She was incapable of moving beyond that emotional need until a little droid showed up and forced her into something bigger.

She believed her destiny lay with Luke, that as long as she brought him the saber he would embrace her and teach her the ways of the force, give her guidance and purpose but he didn't. Luke may have asked similar questions if Yoda refused to train him and told him he doesn't need his help and the Jedi needed to end.

The self-doubt Luke displayed in ESB is one of belief in the force and his ability to connect with the mystery.

Anakin's self-doubt is in his desire for more power. They didn't question their place because they had Jedi warriors lay everything out for them.

This is who you are. This is what you should do. This is how you should do it.

Rey doesn't get that.

25. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I definitely get bored with the traditional/unrelatable go-to chick struggles that writers rely on, but even from that bin of cliches I’m not totally sure which cliche is Rey. TLJ Rey is so bizarre to me that I feel like it’s worse than your average badly written female character. What do we know about RoS? She’s generically angry at stuff but I don’t get why. She’ll be so mad at Kylo (this one I can get on board with) she’ll force lightning innocents. Then she’ll learn her grandpa is Hitler and she won’t care about him, but this revelation will make her almost become evil.

Is there a specific trigger anywhere? A cute boy rejecting her or the popular girl ostracizing her? Anakin feared his wife’s death after losing his mother, and the dark side presented a specific solution to save her. What has the dark side ever presented Rey, besides Kylo’s super hot bod of course. The loving daddy killer offered the girl desperate for a dad training on his team after she already had a team of non-daddy killers. He offered her the opportunity to murder all her friends. And then what, Sheev will offer her the chance to be Empress, share the throne with this loser she beat twice? Boy oh boy, how will she resist. Even in cliche-filled stories about girls written by men, the girls pay lip service to the bad boy needing to be nice at some point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.