main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey & Kylo Ren in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Sforza, Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Agent Carter was the only MCU show I stuck through to the end.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  2. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Agent Carter is the Bees Knees!

On topic, Rey and Kylo are...going to be in ep. IX, or something.

3. Diminished Comet

Diminished Comet Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 27, 2017
    Well that's my Advent Calendar chosen already for this Christmas

[​IMG]

4. Darth_Tweakpiece

Darth_Tweakpiece Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005
    Do you have some insider knowledge that they aren't?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  5. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Well to be fair all legitable sources from MKS, bestin and JP says the same and they have been right on almost everything.

6. Diminished Comet

Sep 27, 2017
    I posted a leaked Lego pic of Rey and Mickey sniped it within the day. I find it curious that DLF aren't sniping someone who is supposedly leaking the whole of Act one and promise Act two and Act three shortly. MSW, JP and Bespin all seem to be fed very similar info.... it's suspicious - DLF purposely feeding them info maybe? - Some of it true but not really major to the plot (Leia and Rey training and costume pics used for toys for example) and maybe some fake info too - so people steer clear of the more important plot points.

In the past true leaks have been pounced on quickly and removed as well as people literally knocking on leaker's doors so I'm just surprised at the amount of info this time and what they are choosing to snipe and not to snipe.

7. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    If she remains random all the way to the end and Sidious coming back is only a some spiritual fake out where his spirit was stuck inside the reactor itself and all he could do was talk, and they didn’t use the developments of Kylo Ren wanting Rey as his Space Empress as per VIII at all, I would join the sanctuary.

And if that day comes may God have mercy on you all for all of the sarcastic memes you will see from me all over the internet for the end strategy of this story.

It’s not like I haven’t tried to keep an open mind here. I can roll with developments that seem to have payoffs that intrigue me. Rey Palpatine did that for me. These leaks do that for me. They wrap up this story for me. In some ways better than the Rey Kenobi head canon ending I had imagined to be honest. I like the potential of this on paper now.

But if what we get is nowhere near as epic as these leaks and Rey is random and Sidious is back only to have someone back and has no real story purpose or ties to the happenings or characters here and they pretend that Kylo Ren didn’t want her to be his Space Empress at all... then I join team Sanctuary. Mostly due to the sloppiness of that all. These leaks provide a nice line of best fit between VII, VIII & aspects of the first 6 films. That shows that doing so is theoretically possible to me. Falling well short of that now due to lack of ambition will be very disappointing.

Darth_Tweakpiece likes this.
  8. JohnWilliamsSonoma

JohnWilliamsSonoma Force Ghost star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    Nope. Not at all. My question was genuine.

Had a feeling this was gonna be your response though lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darth_Tweakpiece likes this.
  9. JohnWilliamsSonoma

Aug 7, 2003
    Are the twin suns behind Rey and Kylo not curious??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Diminished Comet

Sep 27, 2017
    Very curious ;)

[​IMG]

11. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    Gravity nor the wind work in the same way for Rey and Kylo?

12. TechnoTerror

TechnoTerror Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 26, 2019
    Heh, cute...one rising, one setting...

HevyDevy likes this.
  13. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Also it is pretty apparent they are facing one another by the directions the cloaks are blowing.

And most people will notice mostly cloudy for Kylo, mostly clear for Rey.

vncredleader and Strongbow like this.
  14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    And I find her annoying, unlikeable, and completely unrelatable for the same reasons.

The characters I find most relatable in Star Wars are Leia and Jyn.

Well put, although I would put the issues with Rey’s characterization with the fact that she has far too many traditional female character tropes.

And if she was just written as a badly-done love interest for Kylo as opposed to the first female Jedi protagonist—that’s really disgusting, but makes her characterization make more sense.

15. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Her biggest issue has always been no big end game goal right out of the gate.

There’s nothing ambitious enough to be a final film goal established into her design that she wants to achieve desperately for deeply personal reasons that the antagonists can then get in the way of.

Jyn had that.
    Luke had that.
    Anakin had the chosen one prophecy of bringing balance to the Force but sort of coasted by narratively beyond that due to us knowing what he’d later want and letting us see that as what he was working up toward.

She needed a clear final film goal out of the gate that was personal and clear to her and the audience.

Kylo Ren or Snoke killed her family.

Or... All she knew about her dad who she never got to know was that he was a big war hero. Her mom would never tell her who and carried that secret until she died in a junking accident. She’s been on her own ever since but knows her father is out there somewhere and found a clue in her mom’s box that she thinks belongs to him. Make it more specific and direct as something she wants to discover. Screw the mystery box of vaguely suggesting story possibilities just to get the mind racing.

Or... Place her at the temple if you want and training and knowing Kylo Ren. Their dynamic could have been anything. Friends. More. Cousins. Siblings. Establish it there. Then have him turn. Her enemy is someone she knows well now.

They could have chosen anything clear out of the gate but the mystery box non-committal approach only let fans imagine their own goals instead. Without a clear goal she’s after in the film they’ve now had to turn her story into a drawn out lineage mystery where everyone knows there’s more to it and then finds out the big surprise. They seem to be using her search for purpose and reading the Force to get there.

spacebaby45678 likes this.
  16. TechnoTerror

Aug 26, 2019
    The only clear cut goal she has: finding her parents.

Then, it was presented they were dead, implying she already knew this....

So now the only thing left is stopping the First Order.

I still don't understand how they get meaningful conflict out of grandpa Palps....

17. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

ForceGhostPrincessLeia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 22, 2018
    After the whole waiting her entire life for people she knew was dead and apparently having some kind of delusion they were "somebodies" of importance, I think her goal at this point should be finding a professional to help her.

18. TechnoTerror

Aug 26, 2019
    It's just poor character crafting at it's fundamental roots. The idea of a survivior wanting their family is fine. But, you have to follow that through....

Thats a person who is going to seek out companionship. She is not going to be a complete loner(most likely).

So, you can craft a character with survival skills but, also, people skills. She could be a persuasive person. It's more useful and distinct, than just arbitarily giving her piloting skills(which she never, meaningfully, uses again)...

Thats the thing, she has no distinct character trait. I guess it's resiliency?

spacebaby45678 likes this.
  19. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    I find it funny people are complaining why Rey takes the last name Skywalker.

Then I remember after TFA CAME OUT, people complaining why would Leia and Han name their son after Kenobi.

Fans: “Luke is the one close to Obi Wan, it makes no sense for Leia and Han to name him Ben.”

Me: “well, maybe it’s because he brought them together.”
    Fans: “it’s still stupid.”

20. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

ForceGhostPrincessLeia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 22, 2018
    [​IMG]

21. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    1. She was told the people she identifies as her parents aren’t coming back in the first film. VIII just briefly explained why.

2. There’s no indication she knew with certainty they were dead in VII or VIII. He asks her if she’s always known. She’s too emotional to say. The entire topic upsets her. I think the moment clicks as he says it and that it was something she considered but had never fully accepted as the only explanation for them not returning. Like when Vader tells Luke to search his feelings after he tells him because Vader knows that if he does he’ll know that it’s true.

3. It’s him who sets up the intrigue about her parents by saying “I saw who your parents are” just before they walk in. She is intrigued by this but doesn’t have time to process it. He draws it out and asks if she’s known the truth. She tells him they were nobodies more out of confusion for what he’s going on about. Thinking about them upsets her. He digs in on that more by telling her they’re dead.

22. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    There could have been so much more drama in her fight against the First Order, if only TLJ had bothered to realize that the key emotional through-line of her conflict against them was a visceral, well justified anger and fear of Kylo Ren for the things he’d done to her. Even just deciding that was only worth some nominal and brief display of anger on her part at the start of TLJ, and seemingly only for Han’s death and even then not that much, effectively neutered a lot of personal investment I had in the Galactic conflict. The rest of my interest largely died with Finn’s story being made largely comedic and showing complete apathy and ignorance of the real dramatic potential of his clash with them.

I mean, it’s not like anyone is really all that enthusiastic about the current war in this Sequel Trilogy to Star Wars. The other films managed to give a greater sense of scale to their conflicts and maintain some personal investment in the way characters were involved with them. The ST is running off such a blatant and weirdly small-seeming copy of the OT war, that it’s hard to really feel anything about it accept for how the characters interact with it - and again, TLJ killed a lot of that.

23. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    I think Rey's main motivation has been trying to find a place to belong. There's also a lot with her trying to make sense of who she is and what she should do with the hand life dealt to her. Still plenty of plot hooks on that for Episode 9; she's found her belonging and surrogate family and so has something to fight for there, as well as knowing that she's the current holder of the Jedi lore, which begs the question what she'll do with that and the Force.

DannyD and spacebaby45678 like this.
  24. spacebaby45678

spacebaby45678 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2016
    Luke was never delusional about his bio parents. However, he was lied to twice by the older men in his life. Uncle Owen lied and told Luke his father was a pilot on a spice frieghter. Obi Wan tells him a half truth about Anakin being a Jedi, best star pilot in the galaxy, killed by Vader.

So if rhyming means anything in GFFA, then Rey only has half truths about her parents.

Rey is not a Palpatine, but I believe that Palpatine definitely wants Rey and not Kylo

25. JohnWilliamsSonoma

Aug 7, 2003
    So why doesn't anyone want to talk about the suns behind Rey and Kylo?

And the first image in the D23 trailer being the twin suns....

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.