main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey & Kylo Ren in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Sforza, Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NOTJEDIMATERIAL

NOTJEDIMATERIAL Jedi Knight star 3

May 3, 2018
    I would hope they keep the connection between the two to some degree. Not only is that convenient for the writers but it also gives the audience the chance to see what those two might be thinking or doing beyond just what is shown to others. I like that they have a special way of talking. It makes the relationship more interesting to me.

2. IncessantRamblings

IncessantRamblings Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2016
    Birkendoc and milena like this.
  3. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    JJ Abrams: "This was not just 'The Force Awakens' in a young woman. It's the dark side of the force awakening in the villain."

ROTJ:

LUKE
    You're wrong, Leia. You have that power too. In time you'll learn to
    use it as I have. The Force is strong in my family. My father has
    it...I have it...and...my sister has it.

LEIA
    I know. Somehow...I've always known.

Rey, TLJ: Something inside me has always been there. Now it's awake.

Always. In TFA, this is reversed. Ben Solo awakening was taken care of by Snoke, probably. Rey's awakening had several steps: the MF scene in Jakku; her vision; the interrogation scene; the final duel in SKB.

But Rey's awakening in Jakku activated Rey+Ben/Kylo shared awakening. TFA:

Snoke: There's been an awakening. Have you felt it?
    Ben/Kylo: Yes.

Perhaps he has felt both. Its different from the personal awakening, more like a connection. TFA script, interrogation scene: 'an energy they recognize in each other'

TFA novelization, Ben/Kylo:

"Something." He sounded mystified. "There is something... who are you?"
    "Is it true, then? You're nothing special after all? You're just a Jakku scavenger?"
    To Snoke: "That's all she is, yes. A scavenger from that inconsequential Jakku. Completely untrained, but strong with the Force. Stronger than she knows"

And the 'it is you' line. All this distracted the watcher from seeing things from Rey's POV, so it was scrapped. Similarly, the boy in the hallway and the line 'there has been an awakening. Have you felt it? The dark side, and the light' was partially cut in the released film.

But the idea will be expanded in IX, I think. An energy they recognize in each other thats always been there in both from the beginning.

From the beginning means 'since I was born'. But Ben is 10 years older than Rey. If he was the boy in Bespin, perhaps that was his age at the time and the 'binding' happened around the time Rey was born.

Remember the Cloud City postcard in Rey's Survival Guide –: “Wish You Were Here". Was it from Han to Leia? Was Leia taking care of a baby someone at the time?

The 'energy' word in Rey's vision is said by Yoda. He also says 'surrounds us and bind us'. Luke's 'Nooo!' and Anakin's scream after being mutilated in ROTS are heard at the same time.

Cave of Erised and HevyDevy like this.
  4. IncessantRamblings

Nov 20, 2016
    Ha! Breyer's is the latest brand to jump on the 'Reylo' band wagon!! [face_laugh]

milena and Valency Jane like this.
  5. IncessantRamblings

Nov 20, 2016
  6. rorow1

rorow1 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 21, 2017
    I wish they had a unisex or men's version of the Rey II because those look pretty cool and I would have considered getting a pair.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  7. IncessantRamblings

Nov 20, 2016
    "All Disney and Lucasfilm need to do is make a halfway decent Star Wars Episode IX that finishes the Reylo trilogy in a way that works as crowd-pleasing and politically relevant entertainment. They don’t need to retcon The Last Jedi, they don’t need to refashion Episode IX as a glorified remake of Return of the Jedi and they surely don’t need to make a movie that placates the adult (white male) Star Wars fans who believe that their Star Wars fandom is the only one that matters. Whatever course corrections may or may not be in store can and should wait until after the next film, since there will be lots to consider in terms of keeping Star Wars “big” without the explicit connection to the Skywalker/Solo stories."
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottm...last-jedi-solo-disney-lucasfilm/#4d1bf07a3a9a

8. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    The thing about 9 is that even if some fans are unhappy with TLJ, it's sort of easy to ignore because not a lot happened in the film. The Resistance is still a small band and the FO is pursuing them. None of the young main characters was killed or captured. The two big things that happened were Snoke being killed, but Snoke wasn't a central figure in TFA anyway, and Luke dying, but Luke wasn't a central figure in TFA either. So it's kind of back to square one. JJ can do almost anything he wants.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  9. IncessantRamblings

Nov 20, 2016

10. ScreamingWoman2019

Aug 11, 2018
    Perhaps what we saw between Leia and Luke at the end of TLJ can be further developed between Rey and Ben/Kylo.

For example, while doing the force projection, one is alone...but I wonder what would happen if, for example, Ben force projected himself (he seems to know about the technique already in TLJ) to wherever Rey is and touched hands. She learned his mindprobe in TFA instantly, so lets say she learns to do this too, at least while shes touching Ben. Perhaps she could then 'push', using Ben as an anchor, and Ben 'pull'. She could then disappear physically and reappear wherever Ben is. I mean, thats what Yoda already does in TLJ, only reversed: netherworld of the force> projection into the 'crude matter' world (as a solid body)> back to the netherworld of the force.

Or she could be the one doing the pulling part. An alternative ROTJ scenario in which Leia, in Endor, would save Vader/Luke (Kylo/Ben), trapped inside the DSII.

Valency Jane likes this.
  11. mariel_rose

mariel_rose Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 19, 2003
    So it just struck me while reading a fanfiction story that Kylo is quite like his grandfather...at least with Rey....why? Vader in A New Hope, sent someone else to get the droids, while he dealt with Leia....Kylo was like, oh I don't need the droid...I have Rey....and I'm like skip the human, go for the droid! But no...if Finn is Rey's I'm here to rescue you "Luke Skywalker" then Poe might be Rey's Han Solo....hum...but not....then Kylo is Darth Vader....and then Rey is Luke then Rey will maybe let Kylo see the light in Episode 9 and have force babies with Poe? I mean, hum....another thread to the ever growing tapestry. So interesting...

12. milena

milena Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2018
  13. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Have to admit it I'd like to see Rey and Kylo saber duel when both of them are peak training and skill. Maybe Episode 9? It seems like they need to have some kind of clash like that before the story is done.

14. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    Peak training?

You jest

15. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Yeah, should've said "have reached their full potentials" or something like that.

16. Niamor05

Niamor05 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 17, 2018
    The author of TLJ novelization:

[​IMG]

17. dorianro

dorianro Jedi Knight

Dec 18, 2015
    Neither Character is ready to carry on the franchise without the supporting cast from the OT (Which you killed off). Sorry its just the way it is.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  18. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    “None of us have had that experience.”

That’s at the heart of why this fast-forward relationship doesn’t work for me, interestingly enough. It’s wholly outside the human experience. Therefore, it just doesn’t ring true.

19. ScreamingWoman2019

Aug 11, 2018
    Jason Fry has been tweeting about his TLJ novelization.

Jason Fry: 'Which touches on what I find so fascinating about Rey and Kylo's relationship. Lots of fans assess it as a potential romance, and maybe that's ultimately what it will be. (I have NO idea.) Certainly the famous scene in the hut verges on that.
    But we fall back on romance because it's the best analogue we have. Rey and Kylo's relationship is more intimate than that. They've literally been in each other's minds. Rey's seen his deepest fears; he's seen the past she's buried. None of us have had that experience.
    My point is romance may not be the endpoint of that. (Though it may be.) The analogue may be misleading, because it's an analogue. Their connection is deeper and stranger and far more complicated. I think TFA/TLJ covers those complications wonderfully, with Ep IX promising more'

20. ScreamingWoman2019

Aug 11, 2018
    Had not seen it already quoted in front of my nose. Always looking to the horizon.

21. Knessa84

Knessa84 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 21, 2014
    Also Jason Fry: "Note also that Rey talks about the connection with Kylo letting him pillage her memories and feelings. She didn't *want* him in her head -- the TFA interrogation scene is a violation, one that suddenly rebounds on Kylo. And then very strange things start happening to them both."

"Like I said earlier, the connection is deeper and stranger than the analogues, and not all of those analogues are comfortable ones. I think that complexity is great storytelling. We just have to remember this is still the middle, with lots of complications but no resolution."

22. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    @Knessa84 Clearly you consider the interrogation unforgivable, but don't you think Rey's character has moved past it, despite your personal feelings as an audience member? Why would she touch hands with Kylo and then go to the Supremacy to try to save him if her feelings matched your own?

23. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I’m no Reylo fan but these movies are for little kids and little kids aren’t thinking about violations or the abusive boyfriend trope so part of me wouldn’t be surprised if the writers think they can make Reylo work because little kids won’t pick up on how screwed up that relationship would be.

24. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    1. Being isolated and desperate for a solution mixed with an inability to connect with Luke.

2. Completely misreading Kylo Ren and his motivations. She assumed that with Snoke dead Kylo would change, and was proven, in TLJ, wrong. It's the same mistake Luke made during his training with Yoda. They both got an incomplete glimpse of the future and acted on it...and really did little to nothing to actually improve the situation. In fact, Luke reconnecting to the force suggests he was coming around to her way of thinking...until he caught her connecting with Kylo Ren, which litterally undid her all her effort to bring Luke back.

I'm not sure that excuse works anymore...not after Rogue One. Lucasfilm is absolutely aware that adults watch their films, and that kids are smarter than some people will credit them.

25. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    "I'm not Reylo but" is fast becoming to the sequels what "say what you will about the acting but" was to the prequels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.