main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey & Kylo Ren in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Sforza, Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Agreed. I know just about everyone here hates Rey giving Kylo a chance for redemption after the things he did to her, but unlike Luke in OT, she already beat Kylo once.

Narratively, you're not going to see Rey after TFA, grow to have more intense anguish for killing Kylo or want revenge on him. If TPTB did, they wouldn't have her beat Kylo in the first movie already.

@anakinfansince1983
    Thanks (or rather no thanks) to the Force bond, Rey already knows Kylo's deepest fears and insecurities. Just as he knows hers. They're in each others' head so to speak. Unlike the long lost father/son dynamic of Luke and Vader.

We already know from interviews that JJ will follow up with the Force bond (or as Driver calls it, maybe-bond) in TROS.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    spacebaby45678 and Darth Buzz like this.
  2. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    I explain it in here all the time. I don't have to to re-write why I feel it is compelling every time I post.

spacebaby45678 likes this.
  3. Solo88

Solo88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2018
    Rey is a role model to young girls. Do you really think forgiving a serial killer is a good message? What is Rey achieving by forgiving Kylo?

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don’t need her to want revenge on him. I’d prefer apathy and never wanting to see him again. As far as the Force bond, as I said, she touched his hand of her own free will before she had any kind of vision, and that’s the problem. None of the “But they had a Force bond given to them by Snoke” excuses what Rey chose of her own free will.

And “long lost father and son” is understandable. “Just because” or “she’s compassionate” or “because Force bond” is not, and all defaults back to the idea that we’re “supposed to” be open to sympathizing with Kylo.

unicorn, 11-4D, 2Cleva and 7 others like this.
  5. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Why did Luke forgive Vader? Why didn't Lucas just have Luke kick Vader and Palpatine's butts and end RotJ like that?

I guess it's because Star Wars doesn't follow the least path of pathos, ethos and logos like other action films.

Darth Buzz likes this.
  6. Darth Buzz

Jun 25, 2018
    Things we know about Kylo and Rey in this film:
    -Force connection will run stronger and deeper than in TLJ
    -Daisy described Rey, Finn, Poe as "friends" when describing relationship, and then something interesting with Kylo. Adam has said something along the lines of "maybe bond"
    -Heavy hints at redemtion
    -Boyega excited because he was not in a bunch of scenes with Rey and Kylo

Where this is going is anybodies guess, but there is definitely an interesting dynamic between the two characters going into TROS. I'm happy to see this after it was successfully explored in TLJ.

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It was not “successfully explored” in TLJ because the writers of TLJ deliberately ignored the fact that no, not “everyone” can relate to Kylo.

Luke forgave Vader because Vader was his father. None of the “But that’s not important” arguments will keep that from making all the difference to me.

Unless @JoJoPenelli ’s theory proves to be correct, Rey has no such reason to give Kylo the time of day.

unicorn, 11-4D, 2Cleva and 9 others like this.
  8. Darth Buzz

Jun 25, 2018
    Not "everyone" is going to like an idea or vision. If "everyone" liked everything, then things would be a lot easier in the world. The majority of folks thought the dynamic between Kylo and Rey was one of the highlights of the film. I know that is not the case on this site, so I am not even going to try an argue it.

9. alwayslurking

alwayslurking Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 21, 2019
    So what are people expecting Rey and Kylo to be chit-chatting about in this time in this force bond that's stronger and deeper than ever?

10. Solo88

Solo88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2018
    Luke refused to join Palpatine. He rejected the temptation of going to the dark side. Luke showed he had integrity and morals. He was willing to die for those things. He "kicked their butts" by standing up for what he believes in.

11-4D, 2Cleva, ChildOfWinds and 8 others like this.
  11. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    That's fine for you then.

Not everyone bought Luke's "because he's my father" from the OT. ("Hey Luke, remember the charred remains of Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru who raised you").

I concede that some things don't work for every audience member I guess.

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The point was that Johnson should not have launched the Rey/Kylo dynamic from the default assumption that “everyone” can relate to Kylo, and after TFA, it makes no logical sense that he would do that. He just wanted to because Kylo is an admitted pet character of his.

If he wanted to sell a “successful” Rey/Kylo dynamic, he should have at least made the effort to reach members of the audience who did not sympathize with or relate to Kylo, given that after TFA, it is logical that not everyone would.

Instead, if we don’t find the dynamic in TLJ “successful,” we are given the message that it’s our fault, and ‘If you would just relate to and sympathize with Kylo like I told you that you were supposed to do, you would be watching the movie correctly and find the dynamic successful.’

unicorn, 11-4D, 2Cleva and 6 others like this.
  13. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Basically-
    Kylo: calls Rey. No answer
    Kylo: calls Rey. No answer
    Kylo: texts Rey. “I just need to talk to you. Please reply (Message read.) No reply
    Kylo: calls Rey. No answer.
    Kylo: calls Rey. Rey answers.
    Rey: leave. Me. Alone. (Hangs up)
    Kylo: texts Rey. “You’re making a mistake. You know we have a connection. You can’t do better than me. Give me one more chance! (No reply)
    Kylo: calls Rey. **That number is no longer in service.**

11-4D, 2Cleva, ChildOfWinds and 7 others like this.
  14. alwayslurking

alwayslurking Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 21, 2019
    Plus, even if 100% of the audience worshiped the ground Kylo walked on and related to him like he was their personal avatar in life, the issue is that Rey had no reason to relate or care about him. Rey is our protagonist and her perspective should have been the focus, even if she was the only person in the universe who felt that way. That is where the story fails.

unicorn, 11-4D, 2Cleva and 8 others like this.
  15. mariel_rose

mariel_rose Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 19, 2003
    So I recall that Rey reached out her hand and waited. Kylo for some reason I still don't get reached out with his hand second without his glove and they did a Vulcan mind meld that the audience didn't see because they touched hands. Unfortunately the audience didn't see this "force Skye vision" and I don't still understand this "relationship".

The let's all be woe is me Kylo falls flat because of lack of information on this "bond" between Rey and Kylo so it doesn't make sense. *sighs* what a mess. That and Rey gets the short end of a stick.

16. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    I believe Daisy said “fun friendships” but didn’t specify with who exactly.

I don’t recall John being excited *because* he wasn’t in some Rey/Kylo scenes.

I’ve seen quite a few such misquotes/misunderstandings be repeated endlessly over the years and form the foundations of theories.

17. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

ForceGhostPrincessLeia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 22, 2018
    I have to say that just anecdotally, from my own personal experience with various social media platforms over years, this forum seems more accurately representative of the fandom as a whole than the assorted echo chambers or platforms with significantly young target demographics that tend to only push one prevailing opinion and drown out all others. Yes, there are fans who only use certain platforms or don't use social media at all. There are people who watch the movies but don't expend any additional energy on discussing it. It's not a perfect system, but there's a decent mix here, so idk why you would so lighty dismiss how the people on this forum view the dynamic between Rey and Kylo. Which, it's worth mentioning, one can find entertaining or intriguing without wanting Rey to ignore Kylo's laundry list of crimes.
    "Not everyone" thinks Kylo needs or warrants a happy ending. Just because you do doesn't mean hardcore fans and ga alike agree with you. You could very well be in the minority, as there is no scientific method to guarantee an accurate accounting for every single person who will see the movie.

ChildOfWinds and PendragonM like this.
  18. Darth Buzz

Jun 25, 2018
    Exact quotes:

Daisy: "I just think they've just done a great job with all the relationships like with the fun friendships and with the sort of strange thing with Rey and Kylo [Ren]."
    -Pretty easy to read the writing on the wall with that one. The ST "Big 3" are the "fun" friendship and her and Kylo have something strange going on.

John: "I'm not in a lot of the scenes that Rey has with Kylo Ren. So my curiosity just hit the roof.”
    - He has said this and also on the Celebration stage that the dynamic between Kylo and Rey is what has the fans excited.

Something I don't do is just make up stuff to form my own theories. I think theories ruin Star Wars because people get wrapped up in their own head cannons with them. If you see me quote something or say something, it was said that way.

Mila Lazarus likes this.
  19. Mila Lazarus

Mila Lazarus Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 29, 2018
    To be fair, he said it when asked about the title "The rise of Skywalker":

"This is just very specific: ‘Rise of Skywalker.’ And I don't know what it actually means," Boyega admitted. "Bearing in mind that I’m a part of it, but there were certain changes to the script while we're filming and I'm not in a lot of the scenes that Rey has with Kylo Ren. So my curiosity just hit the roof.

His curiosity is more about the meaning of the title than about the relationship Kylo/Rey. But yes, indeed, he also said among other things that fans wanted to see the dynamic Kylo/Rey:

"“The Skywalker saga is done. It felt amazing being part of this final fight. For me, after Episode 8, I wanted more clarity. I had so many questions. I am the Star Wars fan, on set, that likes to debate everything. So for me, I just wanted to see more. I wanted to know about these characters. I wanted to see them together. So I was like, c’mon JJ man, I haven’t written a drop yet but I know exactly what the fans want. They want to see everybody together. They want to see the dynamics between Rey and Kylo. They want more explanation of the [Jedi] path. So let’s do it! So I’m glad JJ was on the same exact page.

And yes of course the "fun friendship" is what Rey has with Poe, Finn, Rose, Leia etc. I mean, who else could it be? She certainly doesn't have a fun friendship with Kylo. She may develop a friendship with the new characters Jannah and Zorri, but anyways, fun friendship = the Resistance and their allies.

20. spacebaby45678

spacebaby45678 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2016
    Anecdotally, I find this thread not to be representative of fandom but instead it operates to me, imho, as a filibustering echo chamber of about 10 or less fierce anti-reylo, anti kylo - redemptionist, pro reywalker/soloist. There is a ton of opinions out there, on the internets that are more highly nuanced than Whoa! I love reylo or conversely, Ugh I hate reylo and everything that it implies.

21. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Any attempt to gauge the actual “scientific popularity/unpopularity” of something like the faux-Reylo storyline in TLJ is going to fall apart: none of us have access to the infrastructure and apparatuses to actually scientifically collect data on how popular it is, and to be honest, pretty much everyone here would probably be disappointed with the number of mainstream audience members who either just don’t care, forgot what it was, or who would just say whatever answer the questioner seems to be leading them to.

I *will* say that I think the idea of Reylo had great potential for high drama and complex characterization, and that I think being devoted to that concept and it’s potential is a totally legitimate reaction from any fan.

I *will also* say that I think that, all things being equal, there’s a lot more “evidence” and arguments to be made defining TLJ’s handling of it as, at best, broad and juvenile, and at worst, sexist and incompetently sloppy.

And my personal opinion is that TROS is better trying to start off in a compromise position where TLJ’s “door shutting” ending is fused to the more feuding nature of TFA’s ending to get us some passion here that most fans can agree makes sense as a starting point, then probably build a different, more fleshed-out, but parallel path towards making their association more complicated and sympathetic.

If that happened, I’d still never thing that TLJ did a good job, but I could maybe roll with it.

Just not any kind of romance or eternal companionship, because TLJ burned that bridge for me.

22. Darth Buzz

Jun 25, 2018
    I thought Reylo was the dumbest thing I had ever heard of after TFA, I seriously thought the shippers were insane. After TLJ it actually started to make a lot of sense as to what they had been seeing the entire time. Now watching TFA you can see how it got started. Going into TROS I have no idea if they will continue this, but TLJ made it for me to where it would not be surprising or feel out of place.

spacebaby45678 likes this.
  23. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I thought reylo was a ship like almost any other after TFA, meaning I thought it was totally irrelevant to the films. I didn't think it was dumb, although I did find the overly arrogant "reylo is canon and Rey Related theorists are too obsessed with their theories and we read fairy tales so we know what's really happening and our theories dont make us terrible fans like Rey related theories make yall!" commentary pretty pushy and irritating.

After TLJ, now I think it's clear LF is at least on board with teasing something that is imo grossly outdated and explicitly misogynistic in numerous ugly ways. So yeah, I think it's dumb because it's a dumb story (but I don't think internet shipping is dumb, whatever floats your boat I don't care).

I don't care if LF does something dumb. I'd just rather they have the guts to stop beating around the bush and do it already. If I knew this was Twilight melodrama from the beginning, I would have been checked out from the beginning and that would be preferable. If RJ and LF had any guts, Rey would have joined Kylo in slaughtering the Resistance and then ended TLJ with reylo making out on Achoo celebrating Luke's defeat. Then we'd know, the debate could end, those into it could speculate on what reylo will do next, and those not into it would be into the next thing. And all the GA would do the same thing they're doing now - show up opening weekend and then promptly forget about it.

Edit - of course JB was talking about the title. It's why I'm onfident the title isn't referring to Rey, Finn and Poe on a hunt for Luke's last podcast to upload on iTunes. JB wouldn't be curious about the title of that was it.

As far as JB saying people want to see whatever between Rey and Kylo, of course this would be manipulated into assuming that = reylo. Newsflash - protagonists and antagonists generally face off and actually should by definition be the central focus of the climax of The conflict the film. It doesn't mean they're lovers, nor does it mean JB was saying everyone wants to watch Rey and Kylo make good goo eyes at each other. Take Black Panther. Unlike TLJ, that movie was pretty well received across the board. The hero/villain dynamic was wonderful. It didn't suffer at all for being boring old cousins. Or how about IW and Endgame? Who wasn't looking forward to CA and/or IM and/or Thor facing Thanos? Nobody thought they were hot for each other, and nobody missed it either. It's actually reductive the way actors and really anyone at LF can't discuss the protagonist and the antagonist without shippers turning it into a shipper comment. It's not unless they say it is. It's actually not normal for a franchise to hide a central romance.

unicorn, darkspine10, Neesh and 9 others like this.
  24. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    I don't see how important a detail that is. I mean, how many fans wanted to know that?

As I said before, as long as the franchise is active, there will always be continuity errors that pop up, even with good coordination. The fact that they've been stuff like this so far shows that the Story Group is working.

25. spacebaby45678

spacebaby45678 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2016
    I may not liked the way RJ wrote/directed some of the aspects of Rey & Kylo's interaction. But, faux reylo is not. It is/was/will be real it is an integral part of the story.

In the beginning, in many corners of the male dominated SW fandom, Reylo's were treated as if they were insane, talked down and condescended too. There was a ton of gate keeping and their still is. As an older female fan of SW and an immediate taken by the dynamic between Rey & Kylo and recognized the motifs that were at play.... Yes, I am a sci-fi fan, a fan of the romance genre and the romance classics of Erye & Bronte, and like George Lucas I am an avid fan of long form story telling i.e. Soap Operas, and I have studied mythology for years so I saw what I saw and so did a whole bunch of other Reylo's so sue me/ sue us.

I am still perturbed at the way a portion of this fandom get's treated and deeply disturbed by the way Reylo's are put down in this thread, and it is probably why many of them have given up interacting or posting in this thread.

I am not a "shipper" , Rey & Kylo interactions/dynamic/relationship was the story for me from the beginning.

Your first assumption was wrong and why is it that when women debate about a story it is pushy and irritating? When male fans have theories wacky or otherwise is it considered pushy or irritating? I found the Rey Skywalker/Solo theorists telling people of course Rey is a Skywalker... this is a Skywalker Saga Duh... you Reylo people are "crazy hysterical women" (implied) who watch fairy tales, of course Rey & Kylo will be related quit shipping them comments misogynistic(internalized or otherwise) , sexist and condescending.

Rey joining Kylo was not the point of her story. The point was that she resisted the temptation.

milena and Cave of Erised like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.