main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey should have joined the dark side and become Empress.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Gerbil, May 16, 2020.

?

Should Rey have joined the dark side?

1. Yes

45 vote(s)
    49.5%
  2. No

41 vote(s)
    45.1%
  3. Undecided

5 vote(s)
    5.5%
  1. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I pretty much never hear people IRL talk about the ST. It's usually the Mandalorian or Andor.

2Cleva, Bor Mullet and Watcherwithin like this.
  2. darthwarbucks

darthwarbucks Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2023
    Story should've been about one luke's students who turned to the dark side and became a leader of some kind of sith cult, who acted like isis doing terrorist attacks around the new republic. A few of Luke's students aid the republic to track the guy down, I mean at this point Luke's first pupil should be an old master with students, the empire was destroyed in Return of the Jedi, I mean the seat of power of the entire galaxy is Coruscant, they tore down Palpatine's statue the regime was finished, but somehow the First Order has more numbers than the republic, more fire power, etc it was nonsensical.

Or they could've brought in Darth Plagueis and connected all the trilogies, he could've been found in a bacta tank like dagan gera in Jedi Survivor, anything was better than what we got.

I mean the Force Awakens wasn't that bad, but Rian Johnson wanted to undermine JJ abrams for some reason, snoke could've been Plagueis, anything was better, I mean Snoke is just a stupid name, I mean who read that script and told okayed that crap.

Last edited: May 30, 2023
  3. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    It’s funny when people say “TFA want that bad until TLJ ruined it” then complain about what TFA did

4. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    Both can have their own lackings in quality, in one way or another.

Personally, in my opinion, from what I remember, I think JJ's movies do better with the characters being likable, personal, and engaging enough and having likable and/or fun relationships between the protagonists, while the story and plot structure is dumb. RJ is technically clearer in his structure of the story he's telling (TFA has the issue of it changing to basically a different story going into the last act, while I think RJ maintains the consistency for the structure of his movie for the most part), the story and characters are dumber to me, or at least dumb in a different way.

Last edited: May 31, 2023
  5. dagenspear

Sep 9, 2015
    But it's not. The dark side cave doesn't tempt Rey at all. She gets nothing out of that and no reaction of actual darkness from it, just feeling bummed. Even when Kylo tells her that her parents sold her for drinking money, she's just sad about that and then is fine in the scene after it. Unless you're talking about TROS?

6. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    The temptation is in episode 9 when she finds out why she was abandoned and the fate of her parents. Finding out they were killed by palpatine for trying to protect her and finding out they were just not very nice people is different.

While you could argue she could be bitter that she had bad parents. Its more worse she waited for years for them to come back for her and finding out someone actually took them away from her. She would want revenge. Which isnt the jedi way. But thats part of the temptation.

Last edited: May 31, 2023
  7. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    What temptation?

What exactly is it? What does the dark side offer her in a tempting way?

Nothing. Dark side powers aren't going to bring her parents back. In fact, she doesn't even want to use the force in any such way to do anything of the sort. Her parents aren't even bad. They did what they could to save her and were killed in the process by her grandpa. She doesn't even want to avenge them using the dark side. She just shrugs her shoulders and that's it. The 'temptation' is merely because she finally learns her last name. That's it. She learns she has an evil grandpa and suddenly she's worried she'll turn out evil too. Just because. Which is shallow and beyond stupid.

There really is no temptation in Rey to ever want to use the dark side. None. Kylo is the closest path, because she wants to save him and be with him, and that could have been better developed in EP 8 and 9. But what we got wasn't a temptation to go dark, but to get Kylo to return to the light.

8. Tia

Tia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2022
    no, Rey going dark would have the worst thing they could have done...

1) that already happened, we don't need Anakin Skywalker 2.0 story being retold again

2) the ST movies are already nihilistic enough without that kind of thing. We know it's easy to fall to the dark-side, characters mention it every chance they get, we're not babies and need to be spoon-fed proof.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  9. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Agreed. Would have made a dumb trilogy even dumber.

10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Why not go all in and have everyone turn evil at the end

Bor Mullet likes this.
  11. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Like the big Infinity War scene where all the characters emerge from their various portholes, only in this case, they all emerge evil.

12. dagenspear

Sep 9, 2015
    [face_laugh][face_rofl] I got a funny visual from this.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    And of course, being the massive MCU fan that I am, I got the movie wrong. This happens in Avengers: Endgame. Whatever. The point is that it was a big mass of CGI nonsense with a bunch of heroes magically appearing and mugging for the camera. In this case, all the Star Wars characters from all the Star Wars movies and TV shows walk through their personal portals, we get closeups on their faces, and boom, they all have evil Anakin eyes. ;)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2023
  14. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    If the movie was suggesting Palpatine would fully possess her rather than simply exist inside her while she’s conscious, then I can see value in this. I never bought that Rey was tempted by the dark side. But I could imagine a final act where she gives in to Palpatine because she sees no other choice, and we see Palpatine’s end goal manifest. He lives on as Rey.

But Rey herself then has to fight him from within. It’s a battle of the wills, something different and potentially interesting if executed well. Then when she wins, she’s still in power over the Final Order, and she can have them stand down and dissolve their military. That way she not only proves her strength against the Emperor’s spirit, she then also renounces the power that at this point was her’s by right.

Could something like that have been executed well? I really don’t know; perhaps JJ could’ve copied something off Kurosawa to create something visually compelling. It would’ve still been hard to pull it off without its being cringey. But I do think it would’ve been cool to see a different kind of battle and to see Palpatine’s plan succeed for a short period of time, only for it to fail because he believed that his power extended to the spiritual realm, where, arguably, he has become weaker and weaker on account of his selfishness and focus on surviving in the physical world.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2023
    Lulu Mars likes this.
  15. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Sounds like the end of "Scanners".

16. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Yeah, she should've joined the dark side. Her ridiculous OP powers makes for a better villain than protagonist.

ezekiel22x likes this.
  17. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    She should've taken over the galaxy with an army of quadjumpahs.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  18. LLL

LLL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2000
    Good heavens. Look at all the plot bunnies in here!!

19. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    The what?

20. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Per Google: a plot bunny is a story idea that gets stuck in your head and refuses to leave you alone until you write it.

I'm not sure that's what's happening here.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  21. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    Disney can make it a What If? What if….rey became Empress. Or maybe Marvel could do a comic book.

I don’t hear people talk much about the ST either but that’s because it ended and isn’t going anywhere now — in my opinion. The current shows are getting the oxygen along with prequels due to nostalgia and Obi-wan/bat batch etc. original trilogy will always get focus.

22. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Is marvel even making Star Wars comics still? I thought they did a high republic one last I heard. That still going?

When was the last time Rey or the ST featured in any non-movie material?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2024 at 5:12 PM
  23. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    As of this month, they’re still publishing multiple OT-era comics, multiple PT-era comics, and multiple High Republic comics. I believe Rey’s last major comic appearance that wasn’t a film appearance might be the “Allegiance” miniseries, and for other material, maybe the Starcruiser stuff.

In general, you can sort of tell how little thinking went into ST era stuff from the larger LFL organization by how little they did with the era at all - and how they definitely seemed to think Kylo was worth more.

DarkGingerJedi likes this.
  24. Vittoria

Vittoria Jedi Padawan

Mar 18, 2021
    I think that's exactly what JJerio wanted to happen. Split the film into two,. Have Rey fall to the darkside. Have Ben come back and make amends by saving her and taking down the FO. But Iger said no.

The word rise has nothing to do with power. It means "move from a lower position to a higher one; come or go up." That's what Rey did, she chose the name Skywalker and she rose up from what she had previously been. There is also a pun in the title and it is supposed to be the elevation of the Skywalker family from where it had fallen.

??? Rey's dark side power was seen throughout the TROS as well as the other films. It's seen in how fast she is quick to anger and goes for the extremes. The only reason she ended up calming down and ceasing on her rampage was due to the fact that Leia died.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2024 at 3:44 PM
  25. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    She calmed down in TFA when dueling Kylo. She was able to calm her anger back then. All on her own.

Guess what? Having anger doesn't mean you're a Palpatine. Or even a dark sider. Obi-wan kenobi shows anger in the PT. But he's able to control it. Just like Rey does every ... single .... damn ..... time. She overcomes nothing in TROS.

In TROS Rey goes close to the dark side because she learns she's got even Sith worms in her blood. That's it. It's not fear. It's not anger. It's not attachments or even obsessions. Just a last name reveal.