main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey should have joined the dark side and become Empress.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Gerbil, May 16, 2020.

?

Should Rey have joined the dark side?

1. Yes

45 vote(s)
    49.5%
  2. No

41 vote(s)
    45.1%
  3. Undecided

5 vote(s)
    5.5%
  1. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    To be fair i think the point is not that it’s biological evidence but a cinematic parallel. Like how Luke coincidently goes through the same situations as his father.

However I agree that it’s unintentional and there’s little grounds to say such small things are parallels. Like I said elsewhere there’s a reason contrast between Luke and Vader works that has nothing to do with evil blood.

Last edited: May 13, 2023
  2. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Its that using certain lightsaber moves that are tradmarks of a character by another character can be a an allusion of a connection. The fact Rey ends up being Palpatine and that she screamed and used that thrust just as her Grandfather did feels connected. If a new character grabbed two sabers and scissored the head off like Anakin did and we have no idea the linage of the new character, we may come to conclusion there is a connection.

Granted lightsaber moves and forms are not owned by one character, a thrust or a cut can just be that, I am student of lightsaber forms. But Rey ended up being a Palpatine, and so the connection is there. The scream and thrust with both hands she does on Starkiller base is so similar to Palpafine in his office, and the fact she is his granddaughter, solidifies the connection for me.

LLL likes this.
  3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I almost forgot that scene is even in TROS. That's how unmemorable and undercooked it was.

4. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Its not in the movie, it was cut ai believe.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  5. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Ha! Then why would it need follow up?

Anyway, I believe there is a similar scene in the movie, where she brandishes a red double lighsaber and her eyes are all evil?

6. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Because Rey mentioned The Vision, that she seed herself on a dark throne.

One way to play it is such visions, like Anakin’s, if you choose against them don’t happen, they are manipulations of the dark side.

7. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    Why show a thing when you can have characters talk about it? :oops:

Bor Mullet likes this.
  8. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    [​IMG]
    :p

9. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    Is Dark Rey sitting on a throne there? I thought she was just standing around having fun with turning the CGI for her shark teeth on and off. ;)

It looks like the other scene had them CGI in blind eyes on Dark Rey instead. I do have to shake my head a bit about the use of the CGI for little things like that which could presumably have been achieved just as easily by having Daisy Ridley wear contact lenses on set.

10. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Firaxen shark teeth is a power only one has achieved, but if we work together I know we can discover the secret. :emperor: :p

11. Awushi Awere

Awushi Awere Jedi Knight star 2

May 11, 2020
    It's in the movie. It's part of her visions at the beginning.

12. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Hmmm.. at the beginning? I only recall Kylo getting The Wayfinder, then Rey training in the forest, I do not recall her having a vision then. Was it later than that?

13. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I think you are taking things far too literal here. Yes, there most definately is a way to interprete it differently than you have done here.

Rey thinks she might go evil, now that she has found out she is a Palpatine. That's really the extend of it. What Luke is saying is little more then "don't fall for the belief that your bloodline defines who you are". It doesn't say that there is something inherently evil about Rey because of who her ancestors were. Finding out that you are directly linked to the most evil person in (recent) history is very likely to create doubt in yourself. That is what the story is aiming for.

I don't think JJ Abrams quite got what George Lucas thought about the force on multiple issues, but on this matter I think you see far more intent on his side then there actually was. It reads like a clear cut story to me. The hero is in doubt after finding out a shocking detail about her identity, the mentor tells her what truly matters is not her origin but her spirit and her heart. Her decisions matter, not her heritage. That's a common movie-trope. The part about the blood gets mentioned because that is what Rey worries about, not because Luke thinks bloodlines define your future. He is merely taking her perspective into account. Doing that when trying to counter the argument/doubt is a completely normal form of speech. Instead of attempting to denounce the feeling, which might cause the other to react defensively because you are ignoring the person's fears, you take it and build something on top of it. Thus acknowledging the reasoning behind the fear, easing it, and offering a way out.

You are basically taking a two part line, and focus on the wrong part of it. What Luke says is "You matter, not your origin". You, on the other hand, cast aside the important bit (the spirit/heart/decisions matter) and instead focus on the unimportant part of Luke acknowledging that she is an offspring of Palpatine.

It's quite odd to assume that such a comment couldn't possibly be taken anything but literally, when the franchise itself is known for its "from a certain point of view" statements. The whole thing is very much a mirror to the scenes between Luke, Yoda and Obi Wan in ROTJ, even if not particularly well executed.

Last edited: May 18, 2023
    LLL likes this.
  14. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I'm taking it literally because that's how JJ is using it. Very literally. There's nothing else there. Why is Rey suddenly fearful that she's going to be go evil? Why now at this moment? Because she learns that her grandparent who she never met is evil. She also learns that her parents were good, but that doesn't matter to her. Luke basically says "yeah, you're a Palpatine, and you need to overcome this horrible nature with your spirit.

Of course 'you matter, not your origin'. But that's not the point of it. JJ is telling us that Rey is descended from evil, and has evil blood, and the only thing that can overcome her true evil nature, is her stronger sprit. That's crap.

This is like if you were in your 20s and you learned that your grandparent, who you never met, and never knew about, was a mass murderer. Well...Crap. Guess that means that's my future.

See? It doesn't make any damn sense. And it's not the same logic for why Luke thinks or fears he's going to the dark side, or might become the next Vader. There's no temptation whatsoever in Rey. She fears going evil because she has evil Palpatine blood. It's beyond dumb.

PendragonM and Watcherwithin like this.
  15. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Haha nevermind your parents were good and your Dad resisted the dark side despite being a Palpatine clone, your grand pa is evil so.. you could be evil! :p

16. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    I think people want to give TROS the benefit of the doubt because it’s so extraordinarily bad, just so far below the bar, that it’s hard to believe it’s that simple. That’s how I felt in shock after the premiere

17. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    It was the first SW film that did not feel cohesive, polished, and like the others; it was chaotic, unfinished in feel, and broke the suspension of disbelief.

Watcherwithin likes this.
  18. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    But there is temptation in Rey. Her parents are her temptation. She probably has more reason then Luke did in ROTJ.

I mean for Luke it was basically WHAT DID YOU SAY ABOUT MY SISTER!

19. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Sadly Kenobi’s struggle with the dark side was kept in junior novelizations. All we see in media is the Paladin.

20. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Rey is so bland, I wish this would've happened.

Kato Sai likes this.
  21. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I was hoping Dark Rey had more than 20secs of screen time.

22. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I can’t get over how stupid this idea (and execution) of Rey as a Palpatine was.

Artorian_Stormtrooper and 2Cleva like this.
  23. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I admit it wasn’t executed well.

24. Vicarious Fan

Vicarious Fan Jedi Master star 3

Jul 1, 2013
    Yes it would have been very cool to do make her go full sith... but given the Star Wars audience and the target audience you can't make the first live action Female Jedi lead turn out to be evil. The next one you can do it but not the first one. Just like they couldn't have had Luke turn evil you can't do it with Rey either.

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Since she is the first live action female Jedi protagonist, I think what they did to her was worse than turning her evil.