main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey Skywalker/Daisy Ridley Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

1. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    Well, I do. Becuase I see no logical reason why Johnson would have refused Trevarrow if that's what the latter had really wanted.

Them not interacting prior does'nt - and indeed should'nt - preclude the possibility of a romance between them. We can't say if it would have worked as a part of the story becuase it never ended up happening, but that does'nt mean they should'nt have been allowed to try something; if Trevarrow saw something there he should have been allowed to explore it.

Someone singling you out and coming over to introduce themselves and flirt becuase they (presumably) find you attractive is'nt acknowledgement and appreciation?:confused:

I mean, I know it is for me. I love it when peaple acknowledge and appreciate me in that way (and I wish it happened more often then it does, lol) - heck, I'm stright as an arrow and I would 100 percent not object if Oscar Isaac came up and made flirty eyes and coy smalltalk with me[face_blush]

Maybe becuase you misread her intactions with Kylo as being those of romantic attraction when they were'nt?;)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  2. JohnWilliamsSonoma

JohnWilliamsSonoma Force Ghost star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    I never said it was that she’s appreciated and respected just that she is known.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K2771991 likes this.
  3. sian1965

sian1965 Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 26, 2020
    'Rey doesn't need a boyfriend'.
    Daisy Ridley, quoted for truth.

4. JohnWilliamsSonoma

Aug 7, 2003
    Star Wars could benefit from some sexual tension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    Oh, and I agree with her sentiment. But that does'nt mean she can't find a handsome man (or woman;)) attractive, flirt and maybe have a bit of fun from time to time.

Iron_lord likes this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Nah. Not the genre for it, or it shouldn’t be. I have seen people compare it to daytime soaps but if I thought that comparison were accurate, I’d never watch.

wobbits likes this.
  7. JohnWilliamsSonoma

Aug 7, 2003
    Han/Leia in ESB is the kind of thing I'm talking about. Why doesn't Rey need or want a boyfriend? That doesn't make any sense to me.

K2771991 likes this.
  8. reyvision

reyvision Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2017
    I see Rey like Luke in this situation. Her story isn't about romance, neither was his.

Now, they could've done a side plot with another character(s), sure, like Han/Leia. They sort of tried with Poe/Zorii but well.... eh.

9. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    I heard that Rian Johnson had planned for episode 9s opening to pan down from a Star Field but then you realize it's no star field at all, but soap suds where Kylo Ren and Rey are taking a bath together making sweet love by the fire.

K2771991 likes this.
  10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Not everyone does.

11. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    Yeah, Star Wars totally is'nt the genre for sextual tension. I mean, I can't think of a single example of it in the entire francise...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yup, not a one...o_O

While I agree with the overall sentiment and that is my own preference for her character (and the others) as I'm fairly sick of so many movies "needing" a romance in it, her not needing a romance to progress the plot/in the eyes of such fans should not mean it's off-limits for writers to devolop if they feel it's necessary or even simply interesting.

I guess I imagined all those books and comics were he got married and had a kid. You know, the ones that until a few years ago were canon and repersented "the" continuation of his storyline from ROTJ?

Heck, even in canon we know he's been romanticly attracted to at least two woman (one, unfortuntly, being his sister[face_sick], but hey nobody's perfect) - possibly even three, as in the TLJ novelization he has a dream about being married to his childhood friend Cammie.

Falsely reported.

His plan was actually for Finn and Poe to be in the tub:p[face_blush][face_tee_hee][face_beatup]

12. reyvision

reyvision Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2017
    I meant his story in the movies. His story in ANH-ROTJ wasn't about romance. Doesn't mean he couldn't have a romance at any point in time, but it wasn't where George took his story. Han/Leia got the romantic subplot.

13. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    Ahh, I see. I misunderstood, my bad.

Then I agree. It's not really relevent to his path and experiences as shown in film, nor is it to hers; plenty of time for that later, if it's what future writers decide (though if she does end up with someone I would perfer it's later, rather then sooner).

Personally I would have perferred no romance subplots/teases of possible ones in the ST films. Not becuase I'm opposed to that kind of thing, but becuase romance plots/subplots in films are fairly cliche at this point and real life does'nt work that way - though at the same time I was never opposed to any in theory and indeed I'm actually quite intrigued by the potential offered by the teases of Poe/Zorri and Finn/Rose.

reyvision likes this.
  14. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    I read that report and you must be mistaken because it said by the end of episode 9 Lando is in possession of both R2 and BB8

Unless you refer to the scene where Finn and Poe and bathing on Dagobah and moments later Rey emerges from under water(swamp water).

K2771991 likes this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    @K2771991 : Of the three you just posted, Kanan and Hera’s romance is fantastic, but Han and Leia’s would have to be written differently now, and Anakin and Padme’s is widely panned.

Luke/Mara was terrible.

I’m not opposed to Rey having a romance, but I don’t think the ST needs romantic tension.

Def Trooper likes this.
  16. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    You missed my point. You claimed this.

Nah. Not the genre for it, or it shouldn’t be.

When in fact Star Wars has had romantic tension since the very beginning. Irregardless of whether one thinks that they were done well or not (or may have been done differently today) neither romance nor romantic tension is the least bit alien to Star Wars - and those I posted were just a few of many examples of the latter concept throughout the francise.

Agree to disagree. I loved it and I thought the two characters were perfect for each other and complented each other very well - definantly better the many others (IMO), including Han and Leia (and I say that as someone who loves them as a couple), did.

17. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    Why would Johnson give Trevarrow something if, hypothetically, he, Johnson himself, didn't want to do it?
    In a trilogy, to introduce a romance between 2 people that have only interacted once, as characters, onscreen, I think, to me, isn't strong writing, tacked on and doesn't serve the established relationships and storylines that have been developed in those movies.

18. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    Becuase Trevarrow was writing the next film in line, the two were working together, denying him costs him nothing and Johnson's a grown, mature adult, rather then a small petty child.

At some point every relationship, whether it's between peaple who become romanticly involved or not (and whether it's between real peaple or fictional peaple), starts of between two peaple who have only interacted once or never. And you can't say it was tacked on or would'nt serve the established relationships/storylines becuase we never go to see how the hypothetical romance would have played out.

19. LedReader

LedReader Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2019
    I have to agree that it would at the very least be a bit strange to shoehorn in a Poe/Rey romance into the final film after having no interactions for essentially the first two films. I’m not going to go so far as saying it’s impossible but I think it would require more investment to pull off than they could really afford to devote to a subplot at that point.

20. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    It is sort of funny. They go from that little moment in TLJ to really annoying each other and knowing how to push the others buttons in TROS.

A lot happened for the Resistance between movies. As a bridge to convey time moving on and these characters have been thought a lot together, it does a good job. Really just shows us without telling us.

We also get the idea the new Rebels have stepped it up in general. They have a spy network. One guys tells them "Win the war." I guess that means they're making some sort of progress against The First Order.

K2771991 likes this.
  21. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    Possibly, but IMO that's really not a reason not to try it if they think it's an interesting direction to take the story.

DTOF aside, TROS was filled with so much padding and needless stuff that if you removed some of the extra stuffing I'd say it could have easily had room for a romance subplot between someone and someone else (be it Poe and Rey, Rey and Finn, Finn and Rose or what have you) - and as Jedi_Sith_Smuggler point out above, they have the benafit of the time jump to easily explain away why we never saw the devolopment of the relationship in question.

22. Jedi_Fenrir767

Jedi_Fenrir767 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 16, 2013
    It’s not conspiracy theories there is enough out there from Hamill, CT and people involved in the project. It was all catalogued in some old threads here so believe what you want but the users here documented all of the links way back when in the sanctuary thread. If you think that TFA and TLJ fit really well together...... we are never going to agree on anything. The mystery box then F the mystery box approach is one that will never sit well with me it’s bad storytelling. The films are diametrically opposed to each other which TROS demonstrated as it walked back stuff JJ hated about TLJ in any case that belong in another thread i am exiting this conversation

Alliyah Skywalker likes this.
  23. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    Johnson is a normal human and can be as petty as other grown adults. But if he felt it compromised the integrity of his story, I don't think it's impossible to say he wouldn't want to, no matter what Trevarrow wanted for his story.
    And if I'm supposed to buy that romance, after 2 movies almost no development, in the final movie of the trilogy, I think, to me, it's not strong writing, is tacked on and doesn't serve the established relationships and storylines that have been developed in those movies.

24. sian1965

sian1965 Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 26, 2020
    There was never going to be a romance because, as Daisy herself said, Rey doesn't need a boyfriend.
    She needs nothing but the Force.

25. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    Daisy has integrity for sure. With that statement, she killed all ships including Finnrey. Wouldn't make an exception even for her brother/BFF John who was hoping for it at least going by this tweet and interview

He thought/hoped that Rey was jealous of Finn and Rose. Comments in the thread explain it better.

https://www.slashfilm.com/finn-love-interest/

But based Daisy stood her ground. :bluesaber::bluesaber: