main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey Skywalker/Daisy Ridley Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

1. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    There's plenty of good books and comics. The Darth Vader comics are great. Also i think the High Republic can be great maybe even better then stories of war with the sith. This could begin to show the downfall of the jedi order. I think books and comics that tie into movies and tv shows are restricted and small but some of them are still good.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  2. Darth Nobunaga

Darth Nobunaga Jedi Master star 2

Jun 1, 2018
    I might be in the minority on this, but I found Lost Stars to be somewhat of a slog to get through. Nothing terrible, mind you, but I didn't find the characters or the romance between them all that compelling. I think Claudia Grey does a better job incorporating the worldbuilding aspects of the wider SW lore, which is more than I can say for most Nu-Canon authors.

On the other hand, I think Zahn's new Thrawn books are absolutely terrible. The character's become such an infallible super genius to the point of being insufferable, and the formula of him outsmarting everyone has long since expired, with Ascendancy being the absolute breaking point. Zahn retconning "Skywalker" to mean "Wayfinder" in the Chiss language is also ridiculous to the point of being cringe.

The Vader comics were good when every facet of his emotional pathos and motivation didn't revolve almost exclusively around Padme. Soule has beaten that horse to atoms, and now it's bordering on whiny anime melodrama. It's like how the last decade of Batman comics have basically rendered Bruce Wayne's entire characterization around the death of his parents. It's a teenager's two-dimensional perception of what makes characters deep.

3. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    To each their own @Darth Nobunaga :)

I understand your reasoning for not enjoying the new canon material and I do somewhat agree with you on Zahns retcon of Skywalker in Chiss.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    Darth Nobunaga likes this.
  4. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
  5. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I had to laugh at this thread title "Rey Skywalker" :oops:You should have just made her one from the start...and then we wouldn't have had to go through all the messiness

6. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Hmm [face_thinking]
    I always liked the look of yellow lightsabers and the connection with the Jedi Temple Guard is interesting. I wouldn't mind future writers to really explore Rey as a guardian of the Jedi, some interesting story possibilities there.

Agreed @Avnar I wish the filmmakers just picked a lane on the whole backstory for Rey from the beginning. Would have saved everyone some future headaches.

7. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Yeah, I thought the obvious (and exciting) story was there from the beginning...

Rey is Luke's daughter (or Leias)
    Ben is his best student, with a soft spot for his cousin (or sister)
    Ben becomes Kylo
    Kylo and students destroy Academy.
    Students become KOR
    Luke's wife/Reys mother is killed
    Kylo hides Rey (maybe to convert her down the track?)
    Luke believes Rey dead
    Luke goes to the island heartbroken
    Etc etc etc

There is your drama, and there is the basic setting off point!

8. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    This is kind of what I thought would happen after TFA. The signs were there. It is not head canon or fan entitlement if you think something based on a movie you just saw.

9. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    The big thing, I think, that made me think it would work, was how it would make the legacy element of Kylo become a center stage metaphorical conflict of the ST that actually would work well with the family story of the PT and ST.

Terio made that “Thesis - Anti-thesis - Synthesis” hogwash comparison for what TROS would be, but something like that would actually have been down to all three trilogies if Rey were a Skywalker in opposition to Kylo.

Anakin’s flaws and fall to damnation (Thesis) + Luke’s perseverance and righteousness through tribulation (antithesis) + Kylo’s dissolute weakness and wretchedness vs Rey’s strength of will and growth to determine which legacy, dark or light, the family is actually defined by (synthesis).

All of that works a lot better with a family tie between Rey and Kylo to make them better standard bearers fro the family, or just with Rey being genuinely tempted to the dark side in disgust and opposition to Kylo.

Weirdly, I also wouldn’t have minded Kylo’s increased profile respective to Finn in that scenario as much... but probably because in that scenario, Finn the character would still have more impact in that aspect fo storytelling than Kylo the character, while Kylo the symbol could be a bigger part of the story.

It’s all related to Rey, for me. For herself, she’d be more marketable and have a far stronger tie to the films, and therefore more likely to have a stronger potential for drama, if she was a Skywalker who interacted more as a character with Finn, and more as a protagonist with Kylo as her antagonist.

10. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Luke being Rey's father was never in the cards. And let's say he was, why abondon her with for all we know was a rapist. Luke a jedi would now abondon her on some planet like Jakku that was death itself, no matter what explaination it dosen't work or suit his character. Luke would leave her with his sister and same for Leia too. the only thing this works for Is A kenobi who dosen't know her past and gone dragged in bad crowd or a Palpatine running away and trusting the locals to keep her safe or a nobody. And because of his issues with his father, he probaly weren't father material.

11. LedReader

LedReader Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2019
    "I wish Rey's last name will turn out to be Skywalker." -Someone in the aftermath of TFA
    [​IMG]

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  12. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    They didn't want it to be a family story for the ST. even though it worked best as a family story and they couldn't really escape that.

13. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Also Rey was never apart of the Skywalker story.

14. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Guys, responding to criticisms of the ST with comments like "that's not the story they were telling" or "that was never a part of the story" or "that's not what the writers wanted" is missing the point entirely.

People already know that. They're saying the ideas the filmmakers had were bad, and done badly. That what the filmmakers wanted was the wrong way to go, and the criticisms are pointing out why.

Comments that take the position that the filmmakers can't be wrong or make mistakes are not an argument. They're a lack of one.

2Cleva, wobbits, Chémus and 13 others like this.
  15. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    If...IF...Luke were her father (from the start of the ST) doesn't mean the rest of the story would have played out the same way! Read above for eg "Luke believes her dead"

Let's say after Luke lost his wife and assumes he lost Rey too after the burning of the temple...he takes himself off to the island heartbroken. He shuts himself off from the force (if you decide to keep that story thread) but starts to return to the Luke we know with help from Yoda or Obi Wan, then voila he senses Rey and begins globetrotting to find her :cool:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  16. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    You mean, you mean, the story we got is not the only possible outcome?

2Cleva, wobbits, Chémus and 7 others like this.
  17. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Luke having wife, oh boy Yoda and Obi Wan must have been screaming at for his jedi code. And Luke training his own child as jedi only breeds problem for other jedi being jealous of her. He would never leave and shut himself off the force if for a mooment he tought she might living. And why would she end up on Jakku with the fat guy.

18. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    You are once again missing the point haha. If the story beats were changed to her being a Skywalker other things would change too! Her ending up on Jakku with the "fat guy" wasn't Luke's doing anyway...it was Kylo's [face_dunno]

As to Yoda and Obi Wans thoughts...how about Leia? She was training to be a Jedi with Luke and had a child [face_thinking]

19. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Why Kylo, why not kill her? Why take her too Jakku so she scould defeat him in the future.

20. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    He doesn't know that will happen...how could he?? I addressed that above in my other post. For eg - Kylo and students (who would become the KOR) killed the rest of the Academy BUT he spared Rey because he loved her (sister/cousin...whatever) and hid her to convert later on. Maybe she escaped? Anything other than what we got!

And (sorry) while I am having a whine - How about some mileage with the yellow lightsaber! Give it to her for the whole film like Luke in Jedi! :mad:It was a great colour that suited Rey perfectly

21. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I agree on the yellow lightsaber. And sure he could have spared her, but i would think he rather take with as a young dark jedi. why abondon when you can recruit or kill. Look at Anakin vs the younglings.

22. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I don't think they gave her a yellow saber for any particular reason. i think they just thought ooooooh yellow! thats new!

23. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think JJ was cool new color. Story Group can go she'll be a jedi sentinel is that what they are.

24. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    Why would he kill her just like that? Are we assuming Kylo is just evil out the gate and not someone who'd have some issue with killing his child relative? Is it impossible that he left her there, wiped her memory, all to avoid her being a threat to him, and not kill her?

25. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I find it interesting that, besides Lucas (all signs point to him wanting Thea to be a Solo), no other director of the ST considered Rey a Skywalker. We had Rey Kenobi, Rey No-one and Rey Palpatine.

I guess the reason of this might be LFL wanted to move for good from the Skywalkers and not have the next movies based on the bloodline.