main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey Skywalker/Daisy Ridley Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

1. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    While I think Abrams has a better track record with female heroes than Johnson, and while I think Lucas’s struggles with Padme in the back half of the PT are concerning... it’s oddly someone like Ahsoka that makes me think if he had his female lead character at center stage, she’d probably be handled well. Lucas was genuine pioneer on a lot of fronts, and was actually quite willing to listen to feedback and collaborate, especially as he got older.

And I’m about 100% certain he would have a better angle on dealing with the legacy of Anakin/Vader with his main characters, particularly of the girl was also a Solo. Arguably, having two “standard bearers” for the halves of Vader’s legacy was the only real way to take the Skywalker family into a more introspective and final clash or the Saga. And it really would have worked better as a “match point” trilogy in that way.

2. Gharlane

Gharlane Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 30, 2000
    It's really weird how in TFA, they have Rey (as a Kenobi descendant) taking on one half of Anakin's legacy with her accepting the saber and the call to action that she has with the vision versus Kylo and him talking to the burnt out Mask. I suspect whoever developed these scenes (maybe Arndt who might have had more exposure to GL) might have had a different origin for Rey (like maybe being a Skywalker/Solo scion) instead of Rey Kenobi, which probably was Abrams's idea imo especially since everyone working on the ST had a different origin for her.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  3. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    It really was one of the great mistakes of the ST that they didn't decide on who exactly Rey was before creating the first movie but instead just let each director determine what it was from movie to movie. It is pretty egregious to me that Kylo's origin was known from the first scene in which he appears whereas for Rey her identity just shifts whilly-nilly at director whim until her very last scene (and the last scene of the ST). It still boggles my mind that happened.

As to the feminist aspect, I do believe that Lucas would've done a better job especially compared to what happened in TLJ where Rey's story and character arc got overshadowed by both Luke's and Kylo's. I think Lucas would've kept the focus on his central female protagonist better. That being said, I don't think the story would necessarily have to be told by Lucas in order to succeed in that regard. It just would need to be told by someone who cared about prioritizing her story--her journey and character arc--over all other characters and being truly interested in telling her story rather than having her as the passive recipient for the stories of male characters such as Luke and Kylo as happened in TLJ.

To me, the most feminist character in a Star Wars film was Jyn Erso, who got to be the central protagonist in her own film, and who was treated as if her story were truly engaging, compelling, and worth telling, and that wasn't directed by Lucas.

I would also agree that from a feminist perspective with regard to Rey that JJ did a better job than Rian.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  4. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    The "funny" thing is this: how much of the inconsistency and missed opportunities with Rey's origins were the result of trying to avoid a predictable answer for the mystery box?

Like.. Daisy has said that Abrams told her she was a Kenobi, but Abrams is notoriously non-committal and inconsistent with his mystery boxes, and Arndt's script is likely still based off Rey Solo, while TFA's story honestly seems to be operating under an assumption that Kylo doesn't impact the permanent fate of the Skywalker story...

...So I'm like 75% convinced Abrams only talked about Kenobi as a possibility they could use, because he just wasn't thinking about the mystery box as actually needing an answer. And neither was LFL.

Which would explain the ease with which he switched to Rey Palpatine for TROS, how little fuss anyone made at LFL when TLJ produced Rey Random, and how much more TFA seemed to be built where Rey "had" to be Related (possibly as left over impact from Arndt's script with Rey Solo, or because Abrams wanted that as a possibility he didn't wonder whether or not he'd commit to.)

And I think part of the problem is that Abrams, Johnson and others succumbed to the "The twist must be surprising no matter the cost!" line of thinking, which is NOT how you should construct an answer to a mystery. Too many people are convinced the swerve matters more than the substance of a mystery; that if the most substantial answer is the most predictable, that must always mean it shouldn't be the answer.

But the thing is, of you read enough mysteries and watch enough shows, you'll find that predictability is only a problem when it's badly handled, that clever writing can obfuscate the obvious, and that sometimes, even with predictability, substance will simply salvage a story more than surprise.

Like, there are a lot of problems with Khan being revealed as the bad guy in Star Trek Into Darkness... but honestly, the mystery being predictable wasn't nearly as much of a problem as the white washing or the heroes' story deficiencies, and the Khan reveal's substance still had a better impact than Rey Random or Rey Palpatine.

5. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost star 4

May 20, 2002
    I know I, and others, have said this before - but it truly is astonishing, when you consider the stakes involved in a SW sequel trilogy, all the money riding on it (not just the movies themselves, but all the merchandise, the theme park tie ins, all of it), that the powers that be didn't have a clear three story outline in mind, with the major themes, plot twists, relationships, and character arcs worked out. That it doesn't look like they had Rey figured out, among other things. Can good things come from a situation like that? Yeah, sure - if you get lucky. But it's a huge, and unnecessary, roll of the dice that invites trouble. It amazes me that Disney allowed that to happen.

I also think that the first movie raised questions that any audience was going to expect to have answered, and for the answers to have significance. I know some above are discussing whether answers can be predictable and still be satisfying, which is a fair enough discussion point. However, if you make the audience ask certain things, if you go out of your way to make the audience ask certain things, I don't think you can then be surprised when...what do you know ...the audience expects those answers and expects them to be meaningful and satisfying. Rey seems to have nearly (literally?) unprecedentedly powerful and quick-manifesting Force abilities - why and how? Gee, this movie clearly wants me to focus on who Rey's parents were, for some reason - I guess that's important to the story, I wonder why.... The audience was set up to speculate and wonder about these things, with dubious payoff. (To be clear - I have no problem with Rey's parentage not being important...she could have been just an abandoned orphan and the story works just fine. In fact, it tells you something about why she is the way she is. However, when the movie keeps nudging you and practically begging you to speculate on her parentage......)

As I've also said before, I like Rey despite feeling she was very badly treated by the writing. I;ll credit some of that to Daisy Ridley, and some of it to script elements that, if better handled, could have really had something -- I love her optimistic determination, her inspirational refusal to give in to pessimism and self-destructive wallowing in past failures. I think at times she was a refreshing antidote to the "The Jedi suck and all the bad stuff that happened is their fault" mindset that had taken traction in a certain element of the fandom. However, I think the failure to have her well thought out on several key fronts led to issues we are still discussing, and probably will be for a long time.

6. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    A good comparison would be most comic book movies and video games, where, even if they don't have any clear myth arc planned out, they know WHO they're main characters are, so even any attempts to swerve or twist on the audience have a batter basis for constructing the story around their protagonist.

Arguably the main problem with Rey is that they not only failed to identify if she had any ties to previous characters... but they also never really seemed 100% certain of who she was in terms of personality, goals, and flaws. Especially in TLJ under Rian Johnson; Abrams at least seems to have a vacillating attempt at consistency in his two films regarding Rey's attitude, but TLJ Rey is a weird, naïve Ingenue-type character who doesn't fit with her background or with Abrams's version.

Knowing how much of a survivor with issues of pragmatism and emotions she was would have allowed for a stronger core arc for her as a character and thus the trilogy itself.

Ridley sometimes gets a bad rap from both sides - the idiots who didn't want a female main character (or a black male lead) in TFA are always there (though they notably had negligible impact on TFA's success), and sometimes even the most ardent defenders of TLJ and the latter half of the ST seem to try and shift responsibility for Rey's lackluster reception in TLJ and TROS to Ridley, instead of examining how the story she has just naturally undermines her performance.

TFA makes the strongest argument for why Abrams cast Ridley... and why she did actually get awards and accolades there. It's not that she did a worse job in TLJ and TROS - it's that TFA best used her backstory and personality there. That scene with her being introduced on Jakku is fantastic, her chemistry and collaboration with Finn is outstanding, and I'd argue that TFA shows how good she and Kylo could be on screen together as enemies in a way that the other two films just shied away from.

If I had to rank the other films, I'd probably grudgingly say TROS well before TFA - Abrams still seems to have a consistent attitude and personality in mind for Rey that's quite a bit more powerful than in TLJ.

Def Trooper and 2Cleva like this.
  7. Darkstrider

Darkstrider Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2020
    If Luke Skywalker in OT=Jedi Order then Sidious with a number of his aprentice Siths=organization. Moreso because Sith had more advanced logistics, research/cloninglabs and army governing Empire and FO.

Kylo is the drive force of all important characters, his mother, his father, his uncle and his lover. Like it or not, the plot of ST revolves around him.

One thing I'm curious is that you bring Kylo into every discussion. Are you not able to stand your ground without involving him? Is every argument really based in this is true for this character because kylo is or isn't this or that? Or is that just a confirmation that he is the driving force for all the characters? [face_thinking] I don't agree with such lack of agency for all other characters, and I am a Kylo fan, lol.

Rey's legitimacy as a main protagonist in a triad of movies called Skywalker saga is and always will be questionable if she is not a Skywalker. And she isn't. She is a Palpatine :)

8. Jedi_Fenrir767

Jedi_Fenrir767 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 16, 2013
    The Jedi Order in the OT = Obi - Wan and Yoda that we see on screen as well as Luke your also obfuscating my response to your questions. If we take into account what we know from canon as well as what we know from Legends the Jedi Order defeated the Sith as an organization multiple times until Darth Bane instituted the rule of two. The Sith defeated the Jedi Order once and it took them hundreds if not thousands of years to do it finally after repeated defeats. Luke is the last of the Jedi Knights a remnant of the former organization and was supposed to be the first of the new. It's quite clear in the OT that there is no Jedi order they were destroyed and it's said so in the first film. The Jedi won't be an organization again until Luke rebuilds them.

The Sith are two people and not an organization sure one person may have control over large amounts of other resources but those aren't shared resources if Palpatine died Vader wouldn't have been the next Emperor. Since the rule of two was instituted by Darth Bane after whatever iteration of the Sith order was destroyed it's hard to call them an organization more of a religion than anything else especially with the adversarial relationship between Master and apprentice. Sidious really just used and discarded all of his apprentices then weren't valued members of his organization they were more like tools than anything else.

9. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Well, Kylo Ren's the black hole dragging down literally every property in the ST, including himself. That's why I bring him up. This would quite literally be a healthier 9-film Saga, let alone Trilogy, if he weren't in it. And Rey, Finn, the OT3, and the GFFA as a whole all suffer from the films' increasing their focus on him without acknowledging what he is - a bad plot-point and a shallow character

Like, you see the situation and a hyperbolic example of your argument would be "This proves they should have just made this about Kylo."

I see the situation and I think "This proves they should have made Rey a Skywalker or revealed Kylo was adopted or something, or admitted the Skywalker story was now over and in a bitter, vicious manner."

It's not a coincidence Rey was a stronger character when she was written apart form and in opposition to Kylo, and then became weaker, less popular, and more derided as she was drawn into his orbit, just like it's not a coincidence that Luke's popularity and appeal took a nosedive when they decided he should benefit Kylo instead of Rey.

10. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    Kylo isn't the main driving force for Rey for the majority of the movies. His mom barely showcases a drive for him. Han and Luke are driven by him, but they're, Leia even as well, in mentor roles and die in the movies where their characters are driven in (except Leia).

11. Darkstrider

Darkstrider Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2020
    lol, you are confusing to me...
    what then, 2 force ghosts plus human worth more than 2 sith (1 master sith 1 discarded aprentice), organizationwise? :confused:

Put aside Kylo for a secobd and please give me an argument why Rey not-Skywalker should be a legitimate protagonist of a Skywalker saga if she isn't a Skywalker. I don't see any.

12. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    how about because she literally is the protagonist, just because her story wasn’t well thought out or written well doesn’t mean she wasn’t actually the protagonist

13. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    We follow Rey's journey from beginning to end. Once Kylo dies he is not mentioned again. Poof.

14. reyvision

reyvision Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2017
    Rey isn't Kylo's lover, first of all. To reduce her role to that is gross. Second of all, the story devotes and focuses its time on Rey's relationship with Han, Leia and Luke far more than it does with Kylo and the OT3. Kylo and the OT3 is all "tell, no show". The movie actually develops and builds Rey's relationships with the OT3 (even her and Luke, which could've been far better, is still shown to us). And that's not to forget that Rey also builds relationships with the Resistance (Finn, Poe, Chewie, the droids), and has a strong connection to the main villain (Palpatine).

Rey is the clearly the protagonist of these films by the way the story revolves and centers around her.

15. Jedi_Fenrir767

Jedi_Fenrir767 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 16, 2013
    Then I will be clearer in the OT the order has 2 members left at this point I wouldn't say that they Qualify as an organization any more than the Sith do. The order however survived for a thousand generations in power while the sith were brought down multiple times until the rule of two which essentially destroyed them as an organization and turned them into something else

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  16. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    That is basically the entire case. And it’s genuinely indisputable in TFA and TROS.

In TLJ, it *is* disputable... but only if you offer up Like as the alternative.

To put it bluntly, Kylo doesn’t really have much of an arc in any of the films.

Rey has a decent and substantial arc in TFA, something that still resembles one in TLJ (though it acts more in support of Luke’s than the other way around), and has what’s definitely an arc in TROS (though handicapped by having to stuff two films’ worth of story into one.)

Her main problem is that the villain of her story needed to be Kylo, no matter what her story was nor what her legacy was; Kylo only functions as a supporting character, and is simply too lightweight and derivative to be a lead, let alone *the* lead.

17. reyvision

reyvision Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2017
    [​IMG]

Glad Daisy was happy with TROS, at least?? Nice to see she doesn't seem to think Rey is mourning Ben Solo deeply, lol.

18. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I'm hopeful with the lego special doing post TROS so soon we might more Rey stories in either books, comics or more animation. clone wars kind of show that uses GL ideas of rebuilding and dealing with gangsters and their power. just have Rey and this new goverment take Luke's place in his ideas and use a dark sider in the gangs to replace Darth Talon and Maul. They can use stories of the great rebuilding of the galaxy.

devilinthedetails likes this.
  19. Def Trooper

Def Trooper Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2019
    Yep. Kylo's status as a Skywalker being important is directly at odds with the idea of Rey's "blood doesn't matter" arc. The contrast between arrogant Kylo and the "lowly" heroes in TFA is what made that movie work thematically, but the more they coddled and babied Kylo, the more they pissed on the idea of "blood doesn't matter".

Lucasfilm never believed that, nor did TLJ fans who praise the idea of "Rey Nobody" from the mountaintops while simultaneously demanding guaranteed redemption for Kylo because he's "The Last Skywalker, Son of Han and Leia".

Man, I hate the sequels so much, I have no idea why I keep subjecting myself to this cancerous garbage because all it does is upset me.

20. Vympel

Vympel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2002
    Even if she wasn't happy, as if she's going to say anything else. What's she going to do, piss off some of the most powerful people and organisations in Hollywood by saying that they turned her character into a container for hollow fanboy nostalgia by finishing her story with a depressing burial for some props on a planet that meant absolutely nothing to her, after caving to dumb fan caterwauling that she's not allowed to be powerful unless she has a last name that the fans have already heard before?

Colin Trevorrow had the good sense to finish her story where it belonged - on a green planet, surrounded by students and happiness. Not a metaphorical graveyard being questioned by TROS' inexplicable What's Your Last Name Police.

What an incredible ending for Rey. I loved it when she saw this beautiful image in the Tatooine desert. So touching, meant so much. =D=

Darkstrider likes this.
  21. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
  22. RetropME

RetropME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2017
    I liked Rey's ending (thematically) as an adopted Skywalker but I vehemently disagree with the way she got there.

23. Vympel

Vympel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2002
    I've never liked the 'adoption' framing of the ending. She's a grown woman, not a child, and her 'parents' in this case are siblings who are also dead. Rey Skywalker, to the extent that it works, is her honoring her mentors, not wanting to be actually adopted by them.

(Apologies if I am reading too much into your use of 'adopted' in this context, though).

Darkstrider likes this.
  24. RetropME

RetropME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2017
    That's part of why I disagree with "how she got there." Thematically the only way I can accept the ST as part of the saga is if I reluctantly accept that Rey was destined to be a Skywalker just like Anakin and Luke.

Anakin created the Skywalker Legacy and was the "founder" of the legacy so to speak. He was the Chosen One by the Force to bring balance.

Luke was born into the legacy and brought it full-circle. He was chosen by the Force to redeem Anakin so he could finish what he started. He had to deal with the burden of Anakin's choices (Being a Skywalker and both the good and bad that came with that) and the end of the Jedi.

Rey was "adopted" into the Skywalker legacy and was chosen by the Force when Palpatine found a way to return. She became a Skywalker because the Force needed a new champion and Luke had vanished, Leia chose another path, and Ben Solo was turned. Rey was chosen to deal with the legacy of the Skywalkers.

It's a lot to unpack and really only works if you view the ST as an epilogue to the rest of the Saga.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    Darth Raiden and Vympel like this.
  25. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    But that just complicates the whole idea. Anakin wasn't the chosen one because his name was "Skywalker". the name is a family name. taking the name and saying well that name is now whoever the force chooses to have it is just silly.

I don't like the way they went about giving Rey the name. i think they did it in a really messy way. it doesn't make a heck load of sense and the method she got there doesn't seem like adoption and more like I CHRISTEN MYSELF! SKYWALKER *Poors tatooin sand on head*

Which you will always have half the audience happy for Rey and another half saying are you kidding me?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020