main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey Skywalker/Daisy Ridley Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

1. RetropME

RetropME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2017
    I never said it worked well, I said it's the only way I can call the ST part of the Saga...

2. reyvision

reyvision Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2017
    Nah, Daisy has always genuinely seemed to enjoy TROS. Every interview she's given has expressed how satisfied she was with the ending for Rey. I think she genuinely likes it. She hasn't been shy before about things she didn't like. And truthfully, I have no problem with Rey taking the name Skywalker in *theory*, but I don't think it was built up properly because of Luke and Rey's relationship in TLJ. TROS tried to fix it but eh. Rey should have taken Organa but no one would know that name.

3. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    What about reyB8

reyvision and Jedi_Fenrir767 like this.
  4. LedReader

LedReader Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2019
    BBR8

christophero30 likes this.
  5. Darkstrider

Darkstrider Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2020
    lol...

I said without mentioning Kylo :p

sure she isn't...they are brother and sister Skywalker (of the Force), clearly.

what else?
    double lol...his arc is more engaging than any other, as we have daily proof on these boards.

Her story would only work if she was the real Skywalker....since they made her a Palpatine having her being adoptee by dead force ghost by expelling true Skywalkers out of the way (not just Ben, but Anakin too) is unbelievable...it would much better be if she embraced her Palpatine name and legacy but chose to go against it in spite of it....wearing it (the name of her forefathers, and parents) like a constant reminder of what she never will be....
    plus if she went on and on about her parents and how she loved them she could have chosen her mother's or father's (whoever wasn't the child of Palps) last name to honor them...instead she discarded the memory of them, who sacrificed for her, and replaced it for the popular Skywalkers...meh

6. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
  7. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I think you're confusing engaging with enraging.

8. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    you can laugh all you want

but who the protagonist is, is not a subjective thing, it doesn’t matter if Rey’s story doesn’t work for you, that doesn’t mean you can just pick another character and say they are the protagonist

fine if you find Kylo’s story or whatever more compelling but claiming Kylo is the protagonist is just simply not true

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Indeed. A character who gets discussed less but more of the discussion is positive and about how the character is fun and entertaining to watch, is a much better character.

...because that is the point of stories. Fun entertainment. Not divisiveness for the hell of it or divisiveness to “generate discussion.” The idea that negative discussion is better than less discussion is absurd.

Only a troll filmmaker or writer would go into the process thinking “I hope I piss people off and turn the fandom against each other.” And I don’t think LFL is comprised of trolls.

10. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I liked the ST. But i kind wish they didn't shoe horn Kylo to the second main character and he steals Rey's screen time. Rey is the hero and protagonist, it should be Finn who's with her and not Kylo. I love TLJ, but one key mistake was not futher developing Finn and reveal he was force sensetive and then JJ could have had Finn a jedi in training by Luke or Leia with Rey.

11. reyvision

Dec 12, 2017
    I mean, funnily enough, two canon sources do refer to them as twins in the force, so... if the shoe fits.

If we're choosing who the protagonist is based simply on their blood lineage, surely it's Leia? She's a Skywalker, she's the leader of the Resistance, she's the one who trains Rey, she's the one who disrupts Palpatine's plans by bringing her son back. It's her lightsaber that Rey uses to bring Palpatine down. It's her force ghost that Rey sees at the end. If we're just choosing protagonists based on them being a Skywalker... Leia wins the ST.

12. Vympel

Vympel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2002
    How did he "steal" Rey's screentime? The amount of screentime he has in the ST is fairly consistent - 19 minutes in TFA, 15:15 minutes in TLJ, and 20 minutes in TROS. It's the smallest of any main character's screentime by a decent margin, except Poe in TFA, who was never intended to be a main character in that film and was originally intended to die until they changed their mind at the last minute.

It's well under half of Rey's screentime in each movie, with Rey's screentime in TROS shooting up to almost a full hour compared to 43 minutes in TFA and 30:15 minutes in TLJ.

It's also broadly consistent with Vader's screentime in TESB and ROTJ - which was 13 and 14 minutes, respectively (ANH it was only 9, but that's different for very obvious reasons given the complexity of the character had not solidified, and Tarkin was also compting for time)

He's the literal main antagonist, the notion that the antagonist interacting with the hero is somehow 'theft' is baffling to me. The movie needs to spend time developing the antagonist, or else you have no drama. You just have the heroes quipping at each other.

What does Rey being the hero have to do with who she spends her screentime with? I don't see how this is relevant. No one said Luke needed to spend time with Han or Leia in TESB because he's the hero.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  13. Darkstrider

Darkstrider Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2020
    If you say that again someone might accuse Disney and SW of promoting incest, lol.

I am disputing her claim on being the main/most important character in a Skywalker story on the grounds of her not being a Skywalker. She simply isn't. If they made her one than she would unequivocally be.
    The unanswered question still remains, why wasn't she.

14. alwayslurking

alwayslurking Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 21, 2019
    Just because a character is the most important to an audience member, it doesn't make that character the most important to the movie. It's not like this is a subjective thing... The protagonist role is a literary function. And Rey is a Skywalker, so even if that was the requirement, she meets that threshold.

15. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    She meets the requirement about as much as Jyn Erso meets that requirement. but being a skywalker isn't about being good and righteous. if that was the case Anakin Skywalker wouldn't have turned. its a family name. a connection of DNA, ancestry and heritage.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  16. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Being a Skywalker is kind of a curse when you really think about it. Rey should have been like "I'm Rey anything but Skywalker." [face_laugh]

17. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    This is actually one of the reasons why Rey Palpatine wound up being redundant, and even conceptually didn’t bring anything new to the table that Rey Related wouldn’t have. If you’re descended from either Vader or Palpatine, you’ve got a monster in your family tree proving you could become one as well... but if you’ve got either Luke/Leia or Rey’s dad in your family tree, you also know it’s not a guarantee.

Rey Palpatine was almost certainly about making sure that Rey had a more direct connection to the Big Bad than Kylo would, while knowing they couldn’t make her a Skywalker without embarrassing LFL and casting shade on Johnson (who, as much as I think he and Abrams didn’t have a common vision of what the Sequel Trilogy should be, I think still have each other’s respect.)

18. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I think her taking the name skywalker one just one option they had. because there was those leaks that said that originally she was gonna see her actual ghost parents on tatooine when she turned round. whether that was just a memory like they did with han who knows, but that was said to have changed afterwards to Luke and Leia. so thats probably why it feels so tacked on.

Although it would have been funny for her to turn around see her real ghost parents there and then turn back and be like I'm Rey Skywalker... and her parents are just like *GASP!*.

Presumably though if her real ghost parents had been there, the skywalker bit wouldn't have been.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  19. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    That tacked on feel might then be something like the reverse of the kiss with Ben: whereas very little about the scene post-Palpatine’s death would make the kiss make sense and there’s some implications that Abrams and co. didn’t want it but had to put it in anyway, Abrams and co. could have set-up the scene on Tatooine where they know it makes more sense for the setting to show the Skywalker twins but where they wouldn’t have to show up... then won the argument that LFL didn’t want the Skywalker’s completely wiped out.

...Doesn’t mean the Skywalkers weren’t completely wiped out anyway, or that it made up for the damage done to Rey by the rest of the story around her, but it could be paired with the kiss as a sign of the film’s tug-o-war over what it should be,

20. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    That would've been apart of TLJ re-do I posted, where Rey, revealed in this to be Luke's daughter, where Luke, in feeling like being a Skywalker brings nothing but pain and death to his family, and Rey rejects being one based on that, among other things.

21. reyvision

Dec 12, 2017
    LFL is the franchise that had Leia kissing her twin brother, it's not new to SW. :p

She is a Skywalker by the end of TROS, though. That's the entire point of the "Rise of Skywalker" title. She takes on their legacy and becomes the Skywalker of the ST, which she already was in all but name/blood before.

22. Supreme Leader Kylo Ren

Supreme Leader Kylo Ren Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 29, 2019
    Honestly, I didn't think giving her the last name of Skywalker was earned, given just how little time she spent with Luke and the nature of their relationship during that time. You could say Leia was a Skywalker, but she never truly went by the name, and she grew up as royalty as an Organa on Alderaan.

Throughout the saga, there's a particular emphasis on the Skywalker family when it comes to relation by blood, so that's probably why it doesn't resonate with people. Darth Vader was a lot less likely to care about Luke if he was just some random kid who took on the Skywalker name.

But there's a lot about Rey throughout the three films that doesn't feel earned.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  23. reyvision

Dec 12, 2017
    I agree her and Luke's relationship was handled badly (especially in TLJ), so Rey Skywalker falls flat, and if Rey was real, she probably would've taken Organa and not Skywalker. But the point does remain, the story the ST was trying to tell is "some things are stronger than blood" and that seems to be a key thing with Rey's story in particular. Was it done well? Absolutely not, IMO. But it doesn't change the fact she's the protagonist of these last three films and she ends the films as the Skywalker legacy.

24. Supreme Leader Kylo Ren

Supreme Leader Kylo Ren Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 29, 2019
    Oh, sure. The deuteragonist dies anyway.

25. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I’d add that marriage and sufficiently close friendships could get you into the family as well - Han and Padme would have been included before their kids were born, and Chewbacca and Obi-Wan are definitely part fot eh family dynamic as well.

And in theory, if Rey had been truly trained as Luke's surrogate daughter, I think that would have worked at least on her end.
    ...The deuteragonist of the last film died.

Finn’s the deuteragonist of TFA, and the most successful in helping Rey’s story along and standing on his own as well.

Luke’s the deuteragonist of TLJ, or Rey is, depending on which of those two you think would qualify more, as they don't complement each others story at all.

Ben/Kylo only has the weak, obligatory turn as deuteragonist in TROS, where his inadequacies don’t go unnoticed. I would agree it’s problematic the only new Skywalker only served a deuteragonist function in one film, but there’s a hell of a lot more problematic elements to him and to the ST before we get to that.

Though it is funny to compare who made a worse deuteragonist partner for Rey. I mean, Kylo/Ben brings a bunch of toxicity, and has a somewhat parasitic relationship stripping Rey of personality and appeal to try and fit him in where couldn’t otherwise, while Luke is simply hi-jacking the middle film of Rey’s story and even supplants her in TLJ’s climax.

She loses something to both Luke and Kylo in the last two films, as opposed to gaining a lot from Finn in TFA. So which is worse? Losing the starring role in the climax completely, or having to share it with a parasite that forces a trashy and abusive relationship into canon?