main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey Skywalker/Daisy Ridley Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

1. Supreme Leader Kylo Ren

Supreme Leader Kylo Ren Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 29, 2019
    While Finn does serve as a truly interesting deuteragonist/co-protagonist of The Force Awakens, with tons of potential, I do think that after the development and focus Kylo received, he is the overall deuteragonist of the Sequel Trilogy.

2. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    ...I’d argue “development” wouldn’t be the word to use with Kylo.

And he still only gets real deuteragonist focus in one film of the three, and is nowhere near that in the other two.

Let’s face it; his claim on the role for the entire ST is strictly based off his blood... and that’s such an anemic and lonesome standard that it helps explain the ST’s greatly diminishing returns, especially for Rey as the new lead.

It was never going to work to have him be the only new Skywalker if Rey was going to be the main character; he could only be a liability to her story because of his blood, or a liability to his family story because he was just so pathetically awful.

3. reyvision

reyvision Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2017
    Kylo Ren is the main antagonist, who has the narrative giving him special treatment because of his bloodline, and not because of anything else. We care about Kylo simply because we care about Han, Leia and Luke and not because he's an actually well written character in his own right. He doesn't do anything to make me as an audience member care about him on his own.

The movies give Kylo all this special treatment because we love his parents and uncle, while at the same time trying to pretend Rey's blood doesn't matter to the story. Kylo Ren as a character goes against everything the story is trying to have Rey's be, IMO. Now if Kylo Ren had remained unredeemed, then I'd have bought the "blood doesn't matter" narrative a lot better, but they want to give Kylo Ren the bloodline sympathy while also trying to say Rey's blood isn't important. That gives you people who think Rey should've been a blood Skywalker, or Ben Solo should've been the main protagonist, because the stories they gave us with Rey and Ben clash against each other.

2Cleva, ami-padme, wobbits and 5 others like this.
  4. Supreme Leader Kylo Ren

Supreme Leader Kylo Ren Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 29, 2019
    I think he was close to the focus a deuteragonist has in The Last Jedi, though Luke was present. But I would say that he developed, as he does become Supreme Leader. He regresses, but still.

Rian Johnson did describe him and Rey in The Last Jedi as "dual protagonists" and that's not for nothing.

5. Jedi_Fenrir767

Jedi_Fenrir767 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 16, 2013
    The issue issue is the character has no actual development in terms of being a character through the story we don't understand his motivations and actions besides wanting more power and him becoming the Supreme Leader. Kylo get's development in terms of his position in the story but he gets 0 actual meaningful character development except for the redemption scene in TROS. This really hurts Rey as a character and others because he is sucking the air out of the room when it comes to having actual progression and development for all of the characters in the ST. Now they could have done a great job with Kylo they just started him off at the wrong place for where they wanted to end and by just basically making Rey an after thought because of it really hurt her character and story.

6. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Plus, the structure of Rey, Luke and Kylo’s story in TLJ adds an extra wrinkle - he can’t really replace Luke as deuteragonist, as Luke’s too dynamic, too centrally located (even in the climax), and too much of the film’s ending aligns with his character arc to really not be either #1 or #2 in importance.

The only character on the top two he can replace in the top 2 during TLJ is Rey...which exposes how he’s a parasite hurting her story. That comment from Johnson about them being halves of a whole protagonist isn’t portraying a symbiotic relationship; one is clearly benefiting from a draining of the other.

And that’s the thing that I really hate about the way TLJ and TROS unfolded - they did severe damage and limited Rey to try and make Kylo her co-lead, instead of evolving him in any significant way.

7. Gharlane

Gharlane Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 30, 2000
    Arguably because the conflict in the sequel trilogy post-TFA became too centered in LightVsDark with Rey and Kylo being the embodiment of these two sides. If they had avoided this trap or giving more engaging storylines to Finn and Poe's arcs, they might have avoided this altogether. But KyloVsRey sucked up all the screentime partially because it was the plot that was the most engaging to both the writers and the movie audience. In contrast neither Finn and Poe's storylines in TLJ really resonated and they barely tried with those two in TROS.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    Darkstrider and Def Trooper like this.
  8. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
  9. Darkstrider

Darkstrider Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2020
    well in the case of SW name =/=blood....I'd normally argue sure she could earn the title, but not at the cost of a real, in both name and blood, Skywalker. Takes away her legitimacy, that.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  10. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I disagree. i think they really tried with Finn and Poe. The only way to say they didn't try is to assume there is a certain direction they needed to go to resonate with the audience. infact i still say Finn had a much better role in TLJ then he did TROS. just because he was with Rey on the adventure meant nothing really.

Id argue the biggest issue with the ST in general is it's so influenced by the OT. whether its trying to mimic it, whether its trying to defy it. there always seemed to this feeling that it should be a love letter to it with as many similarities to it as possible.

Vympel and christophero30 like this.
  11. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Yes @Daxon101. The mirroring thing was clever in the PT but in the ST it started to feel overdone and predictable to me.

Jedi_Fenrir767 likes this.
  12. reyvision

reyvision Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2017
    That's on LFL for choosing not to make her a blood Skywalker, which she should've been. They're the ones who chose to kill the OT3 and make their only living child an evil murdering dark sider. What did they expect?

13. Gharlane

Gharlane Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 30, 2000
    It's not about the direction, but how these plotlines tie back into the central conflicts and themes in the movie and what these characters represent. How does Finn's plotline (with Rose and DJ) or Poe's (with Leia and Holdo) speak to the larger conflict of the Empire/First Order vs Resistance/Rebellion? If anything, the writers on TROS and TLJ were not able to crack these two characters and connect their storylines due to the overarching narrative. Instead they were given b-plots that were there to buy time until the finale with the Battle of Crait. At least Rey's conflict with Kylo represents the conflict between JediVsDarkSide and part of the the Jedi's journey, which is straight from the OT and one of the building blocks in the sequel trilogy.

14. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost star 4

May 20, 2002
    I haven't been around for a while, so apologies in jumping back quite a few posts, but wanted to highlight this (above)...

I think that Rey's introduction is nothing short of masterful - truly. In a few minutes, you get a sense of who she is, or at least, who she could be (if the scripts had developed this further). You get a sense of her isolation, her self-reliance, the toughness of her life, and also of her innate goodness despite having a lot of chances to have become hardened or cold or ruthless given the hand life has dealt her to this point. The scene of her sittng near her "hovel", trying on the helmet, sad, moving, child-like in a way.. there is so MUCH suggested in these introductory scenes (including a possibility that she has some romantic ideas about "the rebellion", the Rebels, about the Luke/Han/Leia glory days). You also get a sense of her hopefulness, her optimism, the idea that she has never "given up" - depending on your outlook, you can see this a sad survival mechanism, a vain delusion, OR you can see it as something more heroic. And of course, given that we have every reason to suspect she will be drawn into events of great consequence, and play a central role in them.... there is SO MUCH potential there. I'd argue that her intro is great - all the more so for how it shows us all this, suggests all this, with very few words, in a very short time.

(Incidentally, I feel much the same for Finn's intro, although since this is a Rey-centered thread I won't dwell on that here... the raid on the village at the start of TFA is dark and brutal; there is nothing funny or buffoonish about these storm troopers! The brutality of the massacre, Kylo's ruthless brutality, the long lingering gaze he gives the traumatized Finn - wow. So much is established here, quickly, succinctly, effectively - there was so MUCH to build on, that COULD have been built upon).

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
    Chémus, LedReader, wobbits and 6 others like this.
  15. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    There was a quiet theme of having characters introduced wearing masks in TFA, then showing who they were as fully fleshed-out human characters - for better or worse - when they came off and we got to see not just their actions, but their reactions to them.

Kylo's not just a monster but a human monster driven by banal, frighteningly unstable insecurities and fanaticism, capable of doing the kind of things you expect a boogeyman to do, but then throw a hissy fit afterwards that highlights his immaturity. Driver's face when whining about Finn having the lightsaber is a masterclass in acting out horrifying petulance.

Finn's more than a hesitating stormtrooper, he's a real human being who's horrified, scared, but capable of realizing his predicament and planning his way out. That second of Boyega showing an epiphany as he realizes the danger of Phasma knowing he refused to kill anyone and that he has to do something says a lot while maintaining absolute silence, aside form worried breathing.

And as you said, Ridley's totally dialogue-less short-film of an introduction builds a solid foundation where we can feel how weary, lonely, tough, and hardy yet hopeful she is.

...And I'd argue the character in TLJ doesn't resemble who we met in TFA's intro at all, and not because she's grown that way - the two interpretations are alien to each other.

16. Def Trooper

Def Trooper Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2019
    Even though I disliked almost everything about TFA, those were the nuggets that kept me interested in the story going forward. There was still so much potential left for the new characters, and while I don't think Abrams is an extraordinary filmmaker, I think people use TROS to totally discredit him when years earlier they were praising him for a few legitimately masterful decisions in TFA.

I can't stay mad at TFA when I go back to it, it's just an enjoyable adventure with just a tiny handful of truly exceptional moments and ideas, like the Falcon chase, the X-Wings on the lake, the intros of Rey and Finn, and the brutal, atmospheric final duel.

LedReader and godisawesome like this.
  17. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
  18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Welp, I guess we’re all supposed to change our minds or think our opinions don’t matter then. [face_laugh]

...nah. I’m good having opinions that don’t mesh with something like a “popular ‘ships list.”

Unless we’re talking about X-Wings. I want my opinion to mesh with that of people who like X-Wings.

LedReader, 2Cleva, wobbits and 6 others like this.
  19. Darth Buzz

Jun 25, 2018
    Quite the contrary. There was no language in my post about changing someone’s mind. Everybody here has the same viewpoints and ends up running off anybody with an opposing. You’re really not taking a stand on this site saying you don’t like Reylo. I’m just here to provide that balance and an opposing POV ;)[face_dancing][face_dancing][face_dancing]

lovethedarkside likes this.
  20. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost star 4

May 20, 2002
    Yeah. Reylo is my go-to for defining "cringe". If it works for you, to each his or her own, but for me ((((SHUDDER))) absolutely not .

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    So you’re “taking a stand”—for the cause of being contrarian for the hell of it? Just to be edgy by taking the opposite stance of many of the viewpoints here?

Nobody has been “run off” just for liking Reylo here. If they don’t like that people push back on the notion that it’s somehow a positive or that Kylo “isn’t really evil,” that’s not our problem.

Seems you are taking dislike of Kylo a bit too personally if you think that a pro-Reylo point of view here is some sort of noble stance and that people who like Reylo are victimized.

22. Darth Buzz

Jun 25, 2018
    I mean it’s obvious I’m not doing it for the hell of it as I’ve had the same viewpoint before TROS even came out. The ST side of the site just needs some balance, which is near impossible with the herding that’s goes on in here.

23. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    (Posted this in the Kylo thread, so I figure it applies here as well. And this is 100% me as a fan here, by the by, not as a mod.)

I’d argue a website like Tumblr is exactly the type of place where Reylo is designed to thrive... and where it should have remained, in the sense that it’s popularity was never intrinsically tied to the story of the films that inspired it.

It’s an attractive bad guy with a strong lip-wobble game and a very pretty British girl. That’s like crack cocaine to your average ‘shipper-driven content creator. It’s exactly the kind of concept designed to thrive in a creative world of AU fics, character-specific morality, and a general creative sphere where headcanon reigns supreme. I mean, that’s the same formula behind Hermione and Draco ‘shipping, Loki and insert-interchangeable-white-girl-here ‘shipping, and Joker and Harley ‘shipping.

It’s a pairing that works best in a world where unfortunate implications, canon characterization, and what actually happened in the story can all be freely ignored, and where Protagonist Centered Morality, Character Shilling, and rampant Draco In Leather Pants Syndrome are the rules of the day.

It’s a little universe of fan-created content that can freely ignore the actual abusive nature of Reylo in the films, the shallow characterization and parasitic writing of Kylo to feed off Rey, and all the other little details because those things either didn’t happen on the head canon of fans in this little world, or fit into a skewed moral perspective free to any bias they may have.

...That’s why the Reylo in the film is still trash, but also probably much worse than the head-canon dominated stories and art of Tumblr, as the two are only tangentially connected. There, it’s not a relationship between Rey and Kylo, but a relationship between “Kylo-In-Name-Only” and, generally, a self-insert character or prize for Kylo.

24. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    Why address it in a way that I think is trying to contrast against FinnRey and such?
    Does it need balance on that?

25. Darth Buzz

Jun 25, 2018
    GIA! I’ve been gone a while, when did you get the Mod tag back? Good to have the sheriff back in town.