main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey Skywalker/Daisy Ridley Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

1. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

ForceGhostPrincessLeia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 22, 2018
    @Ender_and_Bean You thought she was turned on by torture in TFA and that's "vanilla" to you?
    If Rey is vanilla yogurt, Luke must be plain yogurt. How boring that his struggle was based on a near universally recognizable human connection instead of a debasing disregard of self respect sprinkled with a healthy dose of masochism. How boring that Luke cares about his friends while Rey dgas about hers.

Rey doesn't deserve to be called the Luke of the ST. She's an empty copy written by people who don't even have a basic understanding of what made Luke a hero. And to add insult to injury, they just slapped the Skywalker name on her without it being earned by the story.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  2. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Because they had several things they needed and wanted to do.

1. Conclude her story with Ben.
    2. Have the friends hugging party like in ROTJ.
    3. Conclude the skywalkers in the skywalker saga,

It meant there was no time to stop and reflect. its just jumping to next conclusion.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Again...where is the “crying herself to sleep” mentioned in any of the films or the novelizations?

Personally I find it very hard to believe that anyone who has to work to survive on her own in a harsh climate would have time, energy or motivation to be concerned about purpose finding or other such wallowing in emotions.

In response to other discussions here—I liked TFA Rey. I dressed up as her for Halloween in 2016. Still did not like her as much as I like Leia, or Jyn Erso, or Zorri Bliss, but she was likable enough.

TLJ Rey was awful. If she whined one more time about wanting men to help her “find her place”... :rolleyes:

TROS Rey had her moments but was still not a good character.

afrojedi, Shadao, Def Trooper and 4 others like this.
  4. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    I didn’t think she was in TFA. I wasn’t sure back then what was at work between the two of them. Back when Reylo was banned as a discussion topic though I was one of those asking if Lucasfilm might be moving in that direction because the arguments
    made seemed compelling enough to consider it. TLJ took that to the next level and allowed us to then reflect back and connect the dots more. You keep trying to make this claim over and over again in some attempt to discredit me or something even though the canon story literally ended with her fearing she might succumb and end up on the Sith throne alongside Kylo Ren and showed her kissing Ben Solo.

For the millionth time, some anti-Reylo fans made light of her being drawn to Kylo Ren/Ben Solo as 50 Shades of Rey and I asked if it’s possible that she was changed by her dark side torture and if it unlocked her dark side within and that she found the dark side exciting on some level that she then fought to suppress. It was one of many theories and one of many reasons I listed for why she made some of the choices she did back at a time when all we had to go on was our theories and the tale hadn’t concluded yet.

Regarding Luke... for me he WAS plain yogurt in ANH and at the start of TESB until he went to Dagobah and showed more layers, faced Vader, showed he’d rather die and jumped, struggled with the dark side and fought it off at the end of ROTJ and showed power in non-violence and not becoming what Sidious wanted. His improvement as a character of depth continued in the sequel trilogy for me.

5. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

Apr 22, 2018
    Either she played the scene in TFA as attraction or she played it as horrified, terrified, and in pain. Which was it?

afrojedi, Def Trooper, MGM and 2 others like this.
  6. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Now that the trilogy is concluded I can honestly say Rey is climbing fast in my rankings of favorite characters. I love her story and Daisy did such a fantastic job. Her and Kylo's relationship is one of the highlights of the Saga. Going in I couldn't have even dreamed we'd end up with such a wonderful protagonist/antagonist dynamic. Don't like the kiss at the end but it's one blemish on an otherwise outstanding trilogy. I can't wait to be able to watch the entire trilogy together!

7. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I'm the opposite. I wanted to like her, I did like her in TFA, and Daisy was really good. But the character ended up being a mess. They had no firm plan of where to gov with her clearly and the stuff with Kylo was awful.

She ended up being less of a character and more of a collection of reddit-bait, what a waste of potential.

8. Joystick Chevron

Joystick Chevron Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2017
    Rey would be the biggest disappointment of the trilogy for me. Coming out of TFA, she was instantly among my favourite Star Wars characters. They did a fantastic job getting her across in a minimalist way. But the subsequent movies really let me down, to the point she wouldn't be on the list unless I were to separate the character I enjoyed from the spineless one pining for the guy who abducted her, tortured her, killed her father figure, put her first friend in a coma, slaughtered a school, committed an unknown number of massacres and just spends two and a half movies being horrible towards her. There's nothing for me to emotionally get behind because she doesn't act in an understandable way. And then they gave her some of the least substantial family conflict in a Star Wars movie. I love found family stuff, but they didn't do a very good job selling this one. All in all, I just find myself disappointed. What gets me to revisit movies most of the time are the characters, which is exactly why I don't see myself coming back to the latter two sequel trilogy films for a long, long time. I can't think of another instance where a movie character I loved was fumbled this badly, it's really deflating. If you had told me in 2015 that I would have no interest in seeing the character again, I wouldn't have believed you, but here we are.

9. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Okay, I’m of the opposite opinion in terms of tone here - to me, her and Kylo’s relationship is a giant, crippling liability on her character and the Sequel Trilogy - but if you don’t mind, I think I can better explain my issue with their dynamic beyond the numerous, and in my opinion fatal, unfortunate implications:

SFDebris once commented on the critical meaning between the title for 2 similar but different episodes of Deep Space 9: “Duet” and “Waltz” are a pair of stripped down episodes, depending almost entirely on a two person script for most of their run time, and being heavy into character studies... but as in music, “Duet” is more of an equal and harmonious partnership, while in “Waltz” one partner definitely leads more.

Now, it’s not impossible to have a protagonist and antagonist relationship that is either one, or even blends the two concepts together. But like with music, it’s possible to take either type of relationship, and allow it to become imbalance, regardless of its type - a “Duet” between characters *should* lead to something greater than the sum of its parts, and a “Waltz” depends on the leader carrying enough of the story with their strength as a character that it gives the chemistry something unique.

To me... Rey and Kylo’s relationship post-TFA is a badly written “Waltz,” allowing the wrong character to lead, not just because the other character fits that role better, but also because the character leading is fundamentally weak, leading to them dragging down and handicapping the better partner.

TLJ and TROS both prioritize the potential of Ben Solo above Rey’s characterization, and give Kylo Ren the lead in their relationship: his (piddly) internal conflict, and the supposition that he’s charismatic (when he’s not as a character) makes him the... Driver of their story. (Ba-Dum-Tsh!)*

TLJ depends on the idea that he’s able to manipulate Rey into helping him become Supreme Leader, either accidentally, or deliberately... but neither story option is actually good, their both quite weak, and both depend on suppressing Rey’s TFA characterization. The interpretations rely on the idea that Rey is just overflowing with compassion for Ben in spite of Kylo’s crimes against her, or that she’s dumb enough to succumb to barely even juvenile manipulations on Kylo’s part, respectively. So we depend on either devaluing Rey’s survivor instinct or the passion and power of TFA’s emotional story... and for the sake of Kylo who either just isn’t really that clever, or wasn’t even trying to be clever.

TROS sees the story mostly just go through annoying and limiting convulutions to try and justify Rey and Kylo’s relationship. Her character is still handicapped, but now they explicitly make it some kind of tired, over-wrought, and pathetic soul-mate style BS in the Force Dyad - they know the relationship doesn’t make sense, but they want the relationship, dammit, so shut up and just accept it. And it’s more important to the objectives of the film that Kylo have a magic button pushed to make him a monosyllabic new character in Ben, so that he can be kissed by a Rey who still doesn’t know a damn thing about him, than that we make sure Rey’s confrontation with the new overall villain to her story actually make sense.

They sacrificed so much of Rey’s character and put her in a lower priority than Kylo’s story got...

...and still wrote a fundamentally abusive and vile relationship between them on top of that.

*No, I’m not sorry about that pun![face_devil]

10. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

Apr 22, 2018
    I loved her in TFA. Too much, judging by the lowkey pro-abuse tattoo I'm stuck with now :oops:Definitely a waste of potential, she could have been a role model worthy of Leia's legacy.

Thrawn082, darkspine10, MGM and 2 others like this.
  11. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I don't think she needed to be a role model. she just needed to be a character. even a flawed one at that.

The whole role model thing is what makes creatives very protective over how they portray a character, and i already think some of that happened in the ST. and what the result was is a character who had the support of everyone in the whole saga behind her, just because its her, and she was also kinda OP. it resulted in someone who they were trying to hard to make special, and that results in a character that is unrelatable.

12. Cave of Erised

Cave of Erised Jedi Knight star 2

May 3, 2018
    I want a flawed character, not a “role model” and I’m a glad I got her.

Tired of the double standard for little girls needing a role model and boys can just like a villain because he is cool.

13. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Lol. Please tell me that you actually got a Rey tattoo before this story even reached its second act. This didn’t really happen, did it?

14. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I knew I couldn’t stay away from from this site! Ha.

At the beginning of TFA we are introduced to two characters, one that orders a massacre and one that refuses to carry out the massacre. At the end of the ST Rey our hero ends up kissing the character that ordered the massacre.

Never in a million years did I think the powers that be would do that to Rey. What a massive disappointment.

15. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

Apr 22, 2018
    I got a Rey tattoo when Rey was an awesome ******* character in TFA. Yeah, it was stupid to expect LFL to not completely ruin her character in the next 2 movies. Good for you that you were able to forsee the upcoming character assassination.
    @Ender_and_Bean Did you answer my question and I just missed it?

16. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    [​IMG]

And it had.

And then he rediscovered the Ben Solo that Rey saw inside who Kylo Ren had tried to kill but couldn’t and something far more amazing than anything seen in Star Wars before happened. The reverse of Anakin’s fall as it related to Padme. The discovery of true light side potential from the power of discovering selfless love.

17. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

Apr 22, 2018
    Rey had already met literally all of that in Finn.

18. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I think it’s important to note that there are different connotations to “role model” and “power fantasy,” though I think both were seen as avenues LFL wanted to pursue with Rey... but with “power fantasy” being easier to execute, easier to pursue, and unfortunately, just as easy to mess up, and that wound up being the main one they went with as time went on, though I think she also suffered some of the negative side effects that come with being a botched role model as well.

Both role models and power fantasies deal with overprotective creators, though usually in different ways - power fantasies have to deal with creators reluctant to have them struggle with external conflicts, while role models may have creators struggle to let them struggle with internal conflicts. *Both* can also succumb to “protagonist centered morality” writing issues, where a decision that doesn’t actually have strong moral or ethical backing is presented as completely correct and unassailable - the power fantasy creator may get carried away ont he power trip fo writing a character, while the role model creator might expose a bias on their part.

It’s easiest to see Rey suffering from the pitfalls of being a power-trip character, since she rarely struggles with anything physically, and can often come off as “over-powered.” However, I think the lack of moral accountability and protagonist centered morality she sometimes suffers from comes with a bit of both “role model” and “power fantasy” elements - that’s why you get debate about whether Rey is being wrong in attacking Luke in TLJ or not, or whether her compassion for Kylo/Ben is supposed to make sense for a role model or be a sign of a character flaw a power fantasy might conceivably have.

I’d say it’s easy to say *something* is holding her back from her full potential as a character... but if you’re on this thread, you know there’s going to be debate about whether that exists or why it exists.

Interesting point to make here: I’d say that most displeased Rey fans *wanted* her to have a flaw they could understand.

The issue is that some us can’t understand the flaw Rey has in TLJ or TROS, and not just in an inability to empathize with it, but also in a contextualization way - are we supposed to see her soft spot for Kylo/Ben as a flaw, or not? Because TLJ seems to see it as a flaw, but it was a counterintuitive flaw in the first place, and TROS then turns around and argues it was ultimately right somehow.

And there’s always the counterargument: the flaw that would make sense after TFA? Unspeakable amounts of wrath and spite towards Kylo drawing her towards the dark side, aka, one of the more “cool” and understandable flaws that can give birth to villains.

19. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    The heart wants what it wants. In TFA she kissed him too on the forehead after his bravery and told him thank you, friend. She didn’t want to hold his hand either at first but later did. She & Finn are very close and he’s a great friend but they spent more than a year together and obviously those sparks just weren’t felt between them.

Meanwhile, when people see your tattoo they will be reminded of who she does want connect with.
    [​IMG]

At least until Luke breaks up the act. Women all over the world have fallen hard for men who had serious issues. In some cases they inspired those men to be more and become part of the solution. I think it’s awesome that you will be able to remind others of that. Even if you wish you could take it back now. It’s all a part of life and the chances we take. On Tattoos or romantic partners.

NileQT87, Ben-Solo and Iron_lord like this.
  20. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    o_O
    Dude, not cool.

21. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

Apr 22, 2018
    If we're talking about "flaws," can we talk about how many times Rey cries? Like I get it, there is nothing wrong with crying, but holy **** it comes across as stereotypical weak, emotional female signaling.

Eta: and thanks for that reminder about what kind of person you are.

22. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Rey discovering a nice side to the guy that attacked her, tortured her and Poe, sliced up Finn, killed Han Solo and A TON of other people should not give Rey justification for overlooking all the horrible things Kylo has done.

Also Kylo and Ben are the same person. Rey liking Ben means she’s also ignoring that Ben is Kylo the murderer or she’s fine with that which is just as bad.

How are Finn and Poe supposed to react to finding out that Rey kissed Ben and had romantic feelings for him? Are they supposed to be okay with that?

They shouldn’t because Finn and Poe handwaving away that Rey has kissy romantic feelings for the guy that inflicted so much personal pain on them would make them look stupid too...and yet after seeing how the ST ended up I could easily see a future movie where Finn and Poe lightheartedly make light of Rey’s feelings for Kylo Ben. “Boy Rey you really know how to pick ‘em ha ha ha” is exactly the kind of thing I could see in a new Disney Star Wars film.

23. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did want to take your hand. Ben’s hand.

24. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Aren't Rey and Kylo in TROS referencing when he reaches out his hand with an offer to join him, though?

"I offered you my hand. You wanted to take it."
    "I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand."

25. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

Apr 22, 2018
    Yeah, we don't want a white girl to willingly hold a poc's hand!