main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey Skywalker/Daisy Ridley Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

1. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    This is new to me. Thank you for sharing it. So then it was like Vader, that earlier scenes foreshadow even when it wasn’t written yet. Shows The Force is with AGFFA, that that happened twice with two different trilogies! :)

Watcherwithin likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My husband guessed Rey as a Palpatine when TFA came out, but did not think they were actually going to bring Palpatine back.

Kato Sai likes this.
  3. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Guessing still does not mean JJ planned it. JJ just used every single SW element he could find. Some thought she was a Skywalker. Some a Solo. Some believed she was a Kenobi. We all saw the 'hints' we wanted to. Turned out, none of them were hints because JJ decided who Rey was as an afterthought.

That was done on purpose.

4. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    That is neat he figured it out so early. I thought she was Jaina Solo in canon cuz of her closeness to Leia, and Luke’s apprehension to train her; plus Kylo Ren is basically canon Jacen Solo/Darth Cadeus.

5. Darth Weavile

Darth Weavile Jedi Master star 3

Oct 10, 2017
    I thought Daisy Ridley’s resemblance to Natalie Portman and Carrie Fisher meant Skywalker, but what do I know.

6. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Indeed,

[​IMG]

whostheBossk, Darth PJ and Bor Mullet like this.
  7. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Huh? Daisy Ridley looks absolutely nothing like Carrie Fisher. Apart from being white and brunette.

Last edited: May 14, 2023
    Kato Sai likes this.
  8. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Adam Driver looks so much like Carrie. :p

Last edited: May 14, 2023
  9. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    Personally, I think she looks enough like Mark Hamill, with some Natalie Portman/Carrie Fisher in there.

Kato Sai likes this.
  10. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    More similar to Portman, but Carrie I don’t see. Apart from them both being humans.

11. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    Arguably there are some visual similarities between Natalie and Carrie.

12. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    [​IMG]
    “I am not exactly human! So what am I?” -Shinzon, Clone of Capt Picard :p

Since Rey is the daughter of a clone.

13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Never saw it.

14. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I always thought that Daisy had a similar look to Natalie... especially given that when she was cast she had a more pronounced dark and wavier hairstyle. Daisy is probably more similar to Keira Knightley to be honest... but Keira did play the Queen's decoy of course.

15. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    IMO the moment Ridley kept her british accent is when she stopped being relater to the Skywalkers. And i said this years ago and people argued with me that it mean't nothing. But in Hollywood they often keep accents as connectivity to heritage.

Last edited: May 18, 2023
    Black Goblin likes this.
  16. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Should could of been a Kenobi then, Ewan is Scottish and Sir Alic Guinness is British. Both had accents while playing Kenobi.

17. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Well Ridley said Kenobi was a name talked about during TFA.

I don't think she was ever gonna be a Skywalker.

18. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    She is now though. An adopted Skywalker:

[​IMG]

whostheBossk likes this.
  19. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Rey looks more like a Skywalker, Solo, Kenobi, or even Jinn than a Palpatine in my opinion.

And she is supposed to be a Palpatine genetically. The daughter of a Palpatine clone if I recall correctly.

The plot twist of Rey being a Palpatine could've been cool in my opinion if it were better developed. Perhaps have Rey researching cloning to figure out who her parents are in the second film instead of having the big reveal of that film being that she is basically Rey No One.

Or it could have just been clear that she was a Palpatine from the start and have her actively wrestling more with her Dark Side and her grandpapa Palpatine's evil past.

I still don't think Rey's character and story arc overall benefited from her identity being a mystery.

And honestly Star Wars has rarely done mysteries well in my opinion.

Darth PJ and Kato Sai like this.
  20. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    It would have been better to have no clones, or only one, Palpatine in TROS, and have Rey be a true blood granddaughter from another daughter of Palpatine, maybe on Naboo? You could then add that Palpatine sympathized with Anakin wanting to save Padme, because Palyps once loved someone so fiercely; Palpatine being like Snow a la The Hunger Games: A Ballad of Song Birds and Snakes.

Edit: I would have rather had Palpatine raised from death like Jadis The White Witch in Prince Caspian over the clone stuff.

Last edited: May 18, 2023
    devilinthedetails likes this.
  21. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @Kato Sai The ST was a bit strange in that it went with both the clone stuff to explain Rey being a Palpatine and with the sudden resurrection of Palpatine in TROS.

The resurrection of Palpatine was basically just introduced in the crawl of the third film of the ST.

When it might have been better to have Palpatine resurrected from the first movie onward, so the focus could be on him as the big baddie rather than have Snoke (who already sort of comes off as a pale imitation of Palpatine) be the big villain of TFA and TLJ.

It then just looks like Palpatine was resurrected out of nowhere for the third film after Snoke failed to fill the shoes of big baddie in TFA and TLJ.

I think Palpatine would've been a stronger villain for all three films (TFA, TLJ, and TROS) than Snoke was, and that would be a way of tying the PT, the OT, and the ST together.

It would be the story of the struggle to defeat one arch villain: Palpatine.

Kato Sai and Dark Ferus like this.
  22. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    @devilinthedetails
    That would be better I agree, basically The Dark Empire Trilogy in canon.

I do believe Palpatine would have an heir, he seems like someone who would cover all based for consolidating power.

devilinthedetails likes this.
  23. Black Goblin

Black Goblin Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2023
    That right there is my biggest issue with the sequels the lake of vision. Mind you it took me until TLJ to realize Disney had no idea what they were doing, which is more disappointing then annoying to me.

24. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    If anything, I'm glad Dark Empire was at least kind of vindicated as a story. Especially since in contrast to it, the ST only seems to weirdly lionize Palpatine by bringing him back only to have his demise come about because one of his own children (who is one half of what is effectively a chosen one duo) end up killing him. A far cry from the crazed sorcerer grasping at whatever bit of power he has left as it's chipped away at before being shot down like a dog and exorcised.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2023
  25. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Cant wait to see Rey Skywalker again and in post TROS Galaxy. Jedi master and has rebuild the jedi order. Will see only her as a Jedi master or other jedi she can Council with. Wonder what planet they rebuild. Dont see Corucant temple rebuild until a century. Forest planet with life and full of the force. Wonder how much she has grown since TROS.