main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey Skywalker/Daisy Ridley Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

1. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    This is how I see it. Like Sméagol and Gollum in a way. Kylo Ren by way of the dark side tried to kill the personality of Ben Solo for good but Ben Solo was harder to kill than he thought and love was more powerful than the dark side.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    Iron_lord and Bob Effette like this.
  2. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Quite, and it is possibly why in all instances, including Gollum, that the wicked element is ultimately a pitiable character.

Iron_lord likes this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think it is sort of like an addiction in that it is hard to stop succumbing to one’s Dark Side once started. It can also be viewed as a temptation that is easier to succumb the second, third, and subsequent times than the first time. Using Anakin as a case in point—it was easier for Anakin to justify killing Dooku after he had already justified to himself killing the Tusken tribe in anger.

Gollum and Sméagol seemed more like a fantasy universe version of schizophrenia to me, and I think the Dark Side involves far more choice, and as such far more culpability.

4. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Maybe that is one way of describing it?

5. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    To me, since Rey’s actions and characterization matter more than the specifics of just how much they tried to scrub Ben Solo of Kylo Ren...

...it really doesn’t matter how much of him was Ben or Kylo. What there was of Ben was so insubstantial and so briefly seen, that even if I were in a generous mood, the relationship between Rey and Ben is nothing more than a bad, shallow exercise in token romance, the kind you would use to instruct people on how not to right a relationship or romance.

At *best*... it’s nothing worthwhile.

In general, it’s just a BandAid sloppily taped over a gaping chest wound undermining Rey’s character for the sake of a poisonous relationship.

ami-padme, Shadao, Thrawn082 and 8 others like this.
  6. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    I see the addictive properties as well but I see the dark side influence as so powerful that it can have an impact on the mind like the ring of power did Sméagol as he became Gollum.

christophero30 and Iron_lord like this.
  7. Doom_Buggy

Doom_Buggy Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 2, 2016
    I actually have the opposite opinion. I thought TFA Rey was a safe, two dimensional character. She was an intentionally likable blank slate.

I liked her ok, but I wasnt floored by her. I was initially annoyed by how OP she was w/her powers at first, but that doesn't bother anymore, in retrospect .

I think TLJ made her a more complicated and less conventionally safe character. I dont think she lost her spine or became a prop to Kylo. The story always showed how she was right, he was wrong & she was stronger than him. She just ended up w/a more unconventional relationship w/him.

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    When her entire purpose in the story is to show Kylo that she was right and he was wrong, she has become a prop for him to fix himself. And I definitely think she lost her spine in TLJ. Even if (general) you want to argue that she stood up to him at first, shipping herself to him in a box, and crying and begging for “Ben” not to “go this way,” is losing her spine.

ami-padme, afrojedi, unicorn and 8 others like this.
  9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Shipping herself to him, was her version of Luke walking up to one of Vader's patrols and surrendering.

10. JFettG

JFettG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    I really enjoyed Rey as a character. There are decisions made with her character in TROS that I don't agree with at all, but I did enjoy her as a character throughout the ST.

11. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Indeed. Rey spent very little time with Ben, really one day, and that was apparently enough for her to develop positive feelings for him in face off all the negative treatment she received from him.

So why did she fall for him? Because of the Force I guess?

12. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Rey's mom actress, Jodie Comer
    [​IMG]

13. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Do you generally think the “female perspective” ought to be written 100% by men?

14. ImpKnight

ImpKnight Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Rey's wardrobe was trash. Resistance should have done better.

15. reyvision

reyvision Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2017
    Rey spent about a week tops with all the characters in the first two movies.

TROS takes place a year later, so she has had a year to form friendships with the Resistance and Leia. She does not reconnect with Ben until a year later and then their interactions take place in what... a couple days? Realistically speaking, she has only had about a weeks worth of interactions with Kylo/Ben. It is why her non-reaction to his death, her joining her friends in a hug and looking happy at the end isn't unbelievable to me.

I wish she had been the daughter of Palpatine and not the father. Villianelle would surely be the daughter of Palpatine, I'm just sayin'.

ami-padme, Shaak Ti and Iron_lord like this.
  16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Not exactly. Her walking up to First Order stormtroopers and surrendering would have been the equivalent of Luke walking up to Imperial stormtroopers and surrendering. Her shipping herself in a box invokes too much imagery of a doll, especially since she had more makeup on.

godisawesome and Glitterstimm like this.
  17. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    She was really good in Killing Eve. Played a great psychopath.

18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It's not like Kylo's on the ground, to be walked up to. He's in space. And she doesn't want to put the Falcon in his hands.

How else exactly was she going to get on board his ship, fast, without putting the Falcon at risk?

Mostly Handless and Shaak Ti like this.
  19. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    TLJ briefly and TROS fully revealed that the dark side within her was far more powerful than we knew of in TFA. That’s the underestimated aspect in all of this. Like Frodo, who feels the weight of the ring and its influence, he truly gets what Gollum has become because he’s having similar issues inside that he’s fighting off. Rey repressed a lot. Her subconscious dark side bonded with Kylo Ren and her conscious light side bonded only with Ben Solo buried within.

It has psychodrama elements to it and they’ve both been inside the other’s minds and share the Dyad, and later, the weight of what their grandfather’s were and their struggles with what that might mean about them. It’s a different dynamic in Star Wars but one that many of us found fascinating and TROS took it to another level.

Grey Matter and Iron_lord like this.
  20. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Not to mention the comparison is the worst. Luke surrendered to his father because his connection to his father was leading him to the rebellion. Rey surrendered to a monster stranger she had no connection to because she decided maybe he’d turn good if she put her life in his hands.

21. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    A central part of the film is about their connection

Darth Gummybear and Iron_lord like this.
  22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Didn't she have a vision of him killing Snoke (and fighting alongside her against Snoke's bodyguards) if she went there - and that's why she did - failing to realise that killing Snoke and his bodyguards doesn't mean turning away from the dark side?

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Nobody knows what she saw in the vision, because we saw none of it.

And if a central part of the movie is about their connection, maybe we should have something on screen about their connection other than Rey saying she saw a vision and their Force Skyping against her will.

Channeling Watto here...I need something more real.

24. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    The "vision". The infamous vision. After TLJ, Rey's entire story arc, and to some extent the whole ST now hinges on the vision. The problem is that Johnson didn't give it the focus needed to feel compelling, and failed to correctly parallel it to its OT/PT counterparts with Luke and Anakin. With Luke on Dagobah, his visions were either visually enacted or discussed at length with Yoda. There was time to introduce the concept to the audience, describe exactly what he was "seeing," and explain why he felt he needed to obey it even against Yoda's counsel. And we get similar, carefully laid out treatment with Anakin in AOTC/ROTS.

Rey doesn't get any of that. She just runs off. The way the scene plays out, it's designed to make her look like a teenage girl sneaking a boy into her room to have sex, until Dad comes in to break it up. It's more an act of rebellion against Luke than divination. The scene just doesn't work in the context of the saga.

Jango723, ami-padme, unicorn and 9 others like this.
  25. Shaak Ti

Shaak Ti Jedi Master star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    I dislike reylo. But I love both Rey and Ben and Ben being turned. The reason I like Ben turning is it feeds the idea of anyone being capable of redemption no matter what they may do, and that really works for me. I also love that Rey fears herself above all else, since I find that extremely relatable. But Reylo bothers me. It helps that she didn't cry like crazy after he died, that would have hurt my veiw of Rey. Finn and Rey need more screen time in thecreation of a new Jedi order.