main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey's Family/Surname in Episode IX and Beyond

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by RiddleMeThis, Sep 2, 2018.

?

Will Rey have a family?

1. Yes. She'll learn more about her lineage and meet/reconcile with her relatives.

2. No. She'll have great friends who will be as good as family instead.

3. Yes. She will be adopted into an existing family and bear their name.

4. No. Her path to becoming a Jedi will demand too much of her time and efforts.

5. Yes. She'll marry someone eventually and take his or her surname.

6. Yes. Other.

7. No. Other.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    Rey has found belonging with her friends in the Resistance, but the one thing she wants most is family. Sadly, it appears she's quite alone and we don't know her last name. With the final installment of the Saga approaching, Rey may become a Jedi but will she also discover the family she's always longed to have? In what way do you think this will happen? Please discuss.

2. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I don't think she will discover any biological family. I think that ship has (thankfully) sailed.

And I hope she doesn't ever get a surname. I've grown to love just Rey.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  3. RiddleMeThis

Dec 7, 2017
    Just Rey would be great too.

Lomesa and IncessantRamblings like this.
  4. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Rey Skywalker
    Rey Kenobi
    Rey Solo
    Rey Palpatine
    Rey Organa
    Rey Dooku
    Rey Plagueis
    Rey Nobody

? [face_thinking]

teamhansolo likes this.
  5. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Rey Antilles

6. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I never thought she'd be related to anyone specific, but I had assumed she'd become a skywalker by becoming part of the family. Now that the skywalkers are basically dead... I dunno. I hope she just stays Rey now.

7. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    There should be another choice....

who cares anymore?

8. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Red Skull: "What makes you so special?"

Cap: "Nothing. I'm just a kid from Brooklyn."

This is essentially Rey.

Just replace Brooklyn with Jakku. And Dr. Erskine with The Force.

Those who saw Captain America: The First Avenger know what I'm talking about.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    Birkendoc likes this.
  9. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    If she’s not a Skywalker she won’t get a last name. Why would she?

NOTJEDIMATERIAL likes this.
  10. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    "It was a Jedi Master who was responsible for the training and creation of Darth Vader"

[​IMG]

Strikes me as odd that he doesn't say the name of that Jedi Master.

11. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Like most girls I introduce myself to at clubs and bars, her last name is "Ms. None-of-your-business."

Classified8 likes this.
  12. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    Well there is one Skywalker left, but he has a different surname.

Also, adopting a grown woman is very off-putting to me (as in “Luke would adopt Rey” theories that keep getting mentioned.) it implies an adult cannot care for herself and is only validated if she is brought under the care of the kind patriarch. No thanks to that type of infantilization.

13. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    At this point, especially with the epilogue of the Canto Bight orphans.

I believe the Skywalker name will become legendary and mythic in the Galaxy Far Far Away. But won't be passed down.

Birkendoc likes this.
  14. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    There's always the possibility that Rey Rando could marry Ghost Luke and take his name. Their combined Force love will bring Luke back from the dead!

cwustudent, jaqen and AhsokaSolo like this.
  15. RiddleMeThis

Dec 7, 2017
    "That's not how the Force works!"

Classified8, cerealbox and Birkendoc like this.
  16. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    That's the twist! We always thought people couldn't marry Force Ghosts but Luke isn't any ordinary Force Ghost. He's the Prime Force Ghost and he's primed to come back from the dead and marry Rey!

jaqen likes this.
  17. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Rey Sleazebaggano

18. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Rey needs a name ASAP, as in yesterday. Not by marrying someone and identifying herself through a spouse. She needs her own name. It’s definitely a pet peeve of mine that this trilogy deprived her of a name to push mystery, and then answered the mystery with a shrug and “whatever, she has no identity at all.” It’s absolutely horrid characterization. Rey will have a family in IX with her Resistance friends I have no doubt, but I will be waiting to hear her name that is hers because of who she is, not because some man grants it to her because he thinks she’s swell.

19. Elizabeth Mattos

Elizabeth Mattos Jedi Master star 3

Feb 26, 2018
    I don't. Steve Rogers has the sort of agency Rey of Jakku could only have in her wildest dreams. Rey is more like those potential slayers Willow activates with magic. So replace Jakku with everywhere and The Force with Willow/magic - much smoother transition.

Anyway, she should marry Moana and adopt "of Motunui" because Jakku's a dump.

11-4D, CT-867-5309 and AhsokaSolo like this.
  20. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    They could just go with the Rey's original name that Daisy mentioned she auditioned with; Kira/Keera.
    Soo....Rey Keera. or Rey Kira. I dunno...that's not too bad. Maybe add in a SW apostrophe somewhere and you'd get, Rey K'ra. Or just change a letter or two and maybe it's Q'ra. Rey Q'ra. Huh...look at that.

Okay...I'm half joking. But just half.

21. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    I love this analogy. Rey is like a background slayer visiting someone else’s story. The only thing missing is this story’s version of Buffy.

22. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    I don't think all the slayer potentials had Forcebacks, beat the evil guy and got training directly from Buffy, yo

23. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    I’ve only seen that season of Buffy once, but my recollection is yeah, they did. They all had a calling that led them to Buffy. They all helped beat the bad guys through the season and especially at the end. They all lived in Buffy’s house, so yeah, they all got training from her. Wait lol, was this sarcasm and I missed it? If so, sorry I’m dense sometimes.

24. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I prefer just Rey, and I think that's actually far more true to her identity than any surname would be. Rey is her name. What's her family name? She doesn't have one, because she doesn't have a family, and she's accepted and embraced that. That's her, that's who she is. She's Rey Nobody from Nowhere. Underestimate her based on that at your peril.

Any family name added would just come off as phony at this point and not in any way connected to her character. Some random ass name would be just that, pulled out of nowhere and with no meaning. Rey Smith? Rey Miller? Rey Filthy Junk Trader? Rey Pauper? No, she's left that behind. Rey Skywalker? Rey Kenobi? Nope. She doesn't need them, either.

Just Rey.

Finn has a bit more of a reason to try to discover his family and birth name, he was presumably taken from them instead of abandoned by them. His past may be worth recovering. Rey's past is not going back for, imo.

rorow1 likes this.
  25. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Off topic

Strangely there are folks (not me) who look at the Rey/Kylo thing in a non-gendered manner.

And see Rey as a Buffy and Kylo as a Faith. With redemption for Kylo inevitable.

As for me, I'm still pissed off Kendra died. And Drusilla and Spike got away with it.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    AhsokaSolo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.