main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey's New Lightsaber

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BucMan-55, Dec 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RetropME

RetropME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2017
    I for one was hoping for a single-bladed color that wasn't blue or green for Rey but latest rumors indicate the blue saber, which I am fine with too.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    all the colors of the rainbow! yay!

Cave of Erised likes this.
  3. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    Obviously nothing is 100% yet and Rey could have a new lightsaber at a different point in the film, but I'm surprised more people aren't upset about Rey not having her own unique new lightsaber (whether double bladed, a different color, or something else). This could potentially mean the only real new lightsaber in the ST is Kylo's. It just plays into a larger trend of the ST where it seems almost afraid to contribute anything of substance aesthetically to the franchise.

4. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I just want to know why she has Maul's lightsaber hilt on the end of her staff!!!!

jc1138 likes this.
  5. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    What if Rey finds a Kyber Crystal that changes color randomly?

leopardhk47 likes this.
  6. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Instead of a kyber crystal she's going to power her lightsaber with a piece of Fruit Stripe gum which means it'll be amazing for about five seconds and then everything awesome about it will immediately disappear.

7. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Rey rebuilding Luke's lightsaber makes some sense. Not regarding the story at all (par for the course) but in what Disney is selling. The Skywalker lightsaber is marketed all around the Disney parks as Rey's Lightsaber. Only other options available were Kylo Ren's and Darth Vader's.

8. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Bold Prediction! Rey starts Ep. IX with the repaired blue Skywalker saber and has it for most of the film but at some point later on, (probably the third act) Rey will lose the blue saber...and then BOOM! she somehow gets the green lightsaber!

leopardhk47 likes this.
  9. leopardhk47

leopardhk47 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 23, 2016
    ^This makes sense. A superficial setback and then a larger triumph is Rey's journey in TFA and TLJ in a nutshell.

But for real, I really think Rey should have her own lightsaber which would go along with her forging her own identity. Plus, think of the marketing opportunities!

10. Khalia Octa

Khalia Octa Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 2018
    I dunno if anyone has said, but isn't Kylo Ren's lightsaber crystal broken, that's why the blade's jagged? Maybe Rey will use the broken blue crystal, symbolising her and Kylo's connection?

chrcharcor2 and RiddleMeThis like this.
  11. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    If she has her own lightsaber I don’t think we’ll see it until the very end of the film after all the action is over. That said I think old blue is the one she’ll largely be using.

2Cleva likes this.
  12. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    They should have never split Anakins saber in two only after Rey had it for a few days. So If Rey repairs the blade, that’s fixing said mistake.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  13. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Keener eyes than mine have stated the crystal was still intact after the tug-of-war.

chrcharcor2 likes this.
  14. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    It seems those keener eyes were actually not. Onscreen and a close up of the actual prop on the Star Wars Show shows the kyber crystal was split in two as well. I would not put it past them to have Rey build another lightsaber utilising both crystals. Up to a certain point she uses just one blade but at the 'surprise' moment she ignites the other blade.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  15. Charlie07

Charlie07 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2015
    [​IMG]

Not cracked. Simply shattered into 2 pieces. Whether that would mean a kylo like blade, or simply two unique pieces of crystal, time will tell.

16. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    If Rey has a double ended lightsaber I could see her only igniting one side of it at first, leading the audience to think she just repaired the Skywalker saber, then she finds herself in battle and she’s on the ropes and in that moment she ignites the other side and regains the upper hand.

That said I don’t really think she’ll have a double sided lightsaber.

17. Charlie07

Charlie07 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2015
    that redditor that was shown some video/images from the Jordan shoot said the prop saber was like the blue one in the TLJ BTS video. However we don't really know when that takes place in the movie.

Also that marketing redditor claims the saber was simply fixed/reforged off camera. I would've imagined a duel-blade would've been seen in the concept art shown to the marketing folks. No mention though.

id say the duel blade saber is highly unlikely at this point.

18. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Well maybe the double bladed saber is made to look like the the old Skywalker saber so they can surprise us later by revealing it’s really a double sided saber? Again I don’t think this is going to happen but if she was to have a double sided saber it would be a cool fun surprise if was revealed in the way I mentioned above.

19. Justin Gensel

Justin Gensel Jedi Master star 2

Jun 11, 2018
    It'd be nice if Rey got to have something original rather than this endless aping off of the original trilogy. A quest for a new lightsaber would actually be a fun bit of character development for a character that desperately needs it.

20. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    The most boring option may turn out to be the more probable.

Rey will wield a LS that is similar to Kylo's but blue. With the unstable blade and I will venture to say even the cross-guard. This will be due to the broken Kyber from the original LS.

21. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I believe the kyber crystal is still in one piece though. It's the other parts of the saber that were cracked in half. Plus Kylo's unstable blade symbolizes how unstable he is. Rey isn't unstable. Yeah there's a chance that in Ep. IX we'll learn that Rey is off her game ever since Kylo told her about her loser parents but I don't think that that would make her unstable and therefore there wouldn't be a need to have a symbolic unstable blue saber.

22. Iefan

Iefan Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 31, 2013
    The reynbow.

23. Snokers

Snokers Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2015
    She should either have double-bladed or even a hilt built into her staff so she gets the best of both worlds.

24. leopardhk47

leopardhk47 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 23, 2016
    [​IMG]

The kyber crystal actually is broken along with the hilt. I think it would be a cool visual if Kylo managed to properly bleed a crystal so that he has a stable crossguard red lightsaber to show how much more stable he is in the Dark Side and Rey had a crackling blue lightsaber to show her new conflicted morality. I agree that there isn't much that should be causing uncertainty in her.

25. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Well I stand corrected about the cracked crystal!

That said I'm not sure where your getting the idea that Rey is going to have a conflicted morality. Are you assuming that she's going to be wrestling with whether to kill Kylo or not?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.