main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey's New Lightsaber

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BucMan-55, Dec 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leopardhk47

leopardhk47 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 23, 2016
    I'm just spitballing at the moment. There's really nothing that should be shaking Rey's morality right now like Luke and Anakin. I suppose whether to kill Kylo or not probably will be Rey's big dilemma going into Episode 9.

2. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I hear ya. We shall see. The way things are left it makes me think Rey shouldn't have a problem with killing Kylo. He killed Han. He refused to call off the attack on the Resistance. He rebuffed Rey's offer to redeem himself. When TLJ ended and Rey glared at Kylo I took that to mean that she's done trying to help him. That said I could see Luke coming back and trying to convince Rey to help him.

3. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    Or whether or not to join him.

4. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    Or it could just be to make it look like two sides of the same coin. Ying yang or whatever.

On the other hand, like many things, it could be done just because someone in the team (director, producer, etc) thinks it looks cool.

And let's not forget, sell more toys (EDIT)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  5. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Low key prediction: Rey's lightsaber will be a staff, with an exposed crystal in the center. It starts as a two handed saber Darth Maul style but she can expand it, exposing the crystal and making it a staff. In the final duel with Kylo, he will have his lightsaber from TFA/TLJ, but the blade will be substantially enlarged. He will have mechanical legs, maybe arms too after getting wrecked in some battle. He'll be much larger than Rey, a David vs Goliath situation. Not sure how it will end.

6. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Gah, man I hope they don't go the "she gets a double-bladed saber because she had a staff on Jakku" route.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  7. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    Well, I no longer think she's getting a new lightsaber. She's going to fix and keep the one she has. Although a staff saber would've been awesome.

milena likes this.
  8. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    And if the crystal is now in two fragments, perhaps enough to share with a friend ;)

9. Wildcatbarry

Jan 23, 2015
  10. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I think they will go with the saber staff because the “hook” for selling Ep IX will be Rey herself, unlike TFA which had Han for its hook and TLJ which had Luke for its hook. Lando is awesome, but he won’t be able to sell it on his own, and Disney wants to make sure they pull out all the stops to ensure Rey is the “new Luke” going forward. They will try to give her as many “badass” moments as possible, and one will be where she ignites the double blade like Darth Maul in TPM.

The staff will probably be multicolored as well (green for single blade, purple on the second) and have a design that feels especially personalized to Rey. It might even have vaguely feminine elements. It will definitely be pushed as the main Ep IX toy. Ep IX’s main focus will be “finishing” Rey’s character so she can be a Jedi in future projects, whether live action films or otherwise.

11. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    But if she has a double saber that won't make her very Luke skywalker.

It really depends how far JJ will go with it and how nostalgically he is driven. because JJ does occasionally give off the impression he likes to replicate something he loves, and if thats the case going for anything thats not just a normal single blue/green saber might be going abit far for him.

Wasn't it rumored or reported she repairs Lukes blue saber?

Some will probably put it into question on how she could do that, but i wouldn't put it past JJ if he wants the saber involved to have it returns.

I dunno if that would go as far as her being up for killing Kylo now though.

Thats like when people say she should have killed Kylo when he was knocked out after the saber exploded. she had her chance but just left. i don't think its quite that simple with her character and within whatever it was that made her trust him in the first place.

She probably cares alot less about what happens to him. but it probably won't go as far as id happily kill you now.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    Mila Lazarus and Glitterstimm like this.
  12. leopardhk47

leopardhk47 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 23, 2016
    I would hope Lucasfilm thinks enough about Rey (and the marketing opportunities) to give her a brand new lightsaber. Luke graduated from using his dad's lightsaber to making one of his own and it showed his maturity and deeper understanding of the Force. Rey should be given the same opportunity.

rorow1, Glitterstimm and chrcharcor2 like this.
  13. Roosterq

Roosterq Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 6, 2017
    Disney = marketing Juggernaut so for them to not take advantage of creating a new toy to sell is missing the mark drastically. With that in mind they are going to want to move a massive number of these toys, so they will need to make them accessible to the largest number of customers possible. This is why I believe we will see Rey get her own single bladed lightsaber with a unique element that has yet to be seen previously, or only a time or two before, so a larger number of fans will want to buy it. I could see it having a unique looking hilt or color being the most likely differences. Maybe some sort of cloth element to pay homage to her scavenger beginnings.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Glitterstimm likes this.
  14. Jedi Mind Fook

Jedi Mind Fook Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 9, 2019
    I say stick with blue...since she'll be fixing/modifying the one she has.(At least I hope....that saber is legendary, it can't be the end). It's got to be double bladed though...only makes sense and ties everything together.

15. King_Kenobi62

King_Kenobi62 Jedi Master

May 7, 2014
    I don’t know if this has been mentioned but what if she repairs Luke’s saber AND builds her own unique saber. Maybe she uses two during the film or possibly even gives Luke’s saber back to Finn? He did well with it and it would be different from before and add to his achievements in TFA. Also, I just really wish he was Force sensitive as he seemed so interested in the Force throughout and it would be cool if he was this trilogy’s “other” like Leia was in the OT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The-Clone-Wars likes this.
  16. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    BIB - He got knocked on his butt....twice. Lightsabres are really only an effective all round weapon in the hands of a Force user, he's better off with a blaster.

jc1138 and Wildcatbarry like this.
  17. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    The current expanded universe has not been shy about having none force users make use of Lightsabers even if it's only as ONE aspect of their overall skill set...and with at least a year between TLJ and Episode 9 it's not hard to imply that Rey and Finn did some sparring together that helped them both refine their raw skill. It's not something Finn would rely on as much as Rey...but with the KOR possible being around and using Melee weapons it'd certainly make sense for Finn to use one as a back up if he lost his blaster or said gun was ineffective for the situation...then there's that rumor about the Crystal to think about.

The-Clone-Wars likes this.
  18. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I think it’s because all the non-Force users are worried about looking like the Star Wars Kid.

19. Knight of Jedi Ren Sith

Knight of Jedi Ren Sith Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 29, 2018
    Personally, I'd like Rey to construct her own lightsaber. But I think we'll get some kind of mix here, to honor the Skywalker legacy, whatever that means.

So Rey will take the remains of Luke's saber and turn it into some kind of staff saber.

20. bluealien1

bluealien1 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 14, 2015
    Has any one thought about a lightsaber that joins in the middle?If the crystal did in fact break then she may make two . One could be a "repaired" Anakin lightsaber/theory in the craft of lightsaber making.The second could be her's and both could join at the ends.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  21. Kladdagh

Kladdagh Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 9, 2017
    Rey took the sacred texts ... So, maybe she could learn and make her own Lightsaber with the Kyber crystal from the Anakin's saber ...

22. DarthHutt

DarthHutt Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 2, 2000
    Maul was the best thing about TPM, and one of the best things about Maul was his lightsaber.
    A blue double-bladed saber would not only be cool to see on-screen, but as previously mentioned, could sell a lot of toys.

RetropME and chrcharcor2 like this.
  23. Wildcatbarry

Jan 23, 2015
    "We have everything we need"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    The Making Star Wars guys mentioned that somebody on Reddit has seen box art that shows Rey using an unstable blue lightsaber but this sounds like "my uncle who works at Nintendo" levels of rumor mongering. Could be true though.

RetropME and Rodie like this.
  25. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    I like the idea of Rey using an unstable lightsaber blade to mirror Kylo's. But she's a scavenger. It's practically built into her character that she'd be able to find her own Kyber Crystal in a cool way, so that would be better than just repairing Luke's broken one.

Hoping she repairs Luke's old one, gives it to back to Maz and Maz gives it to Leia to keep. Could be a powerful scene they rework from the cut TFA scene.

Sidenote: Is Leia's ring with two blue stones connected by what looks like a DNA double helix the biggest case of costume jewelry trolling in canon?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.