main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey's parentage and the colour palette in TLJ

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Dukeleto69, Dec 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dukeleto69

Dukeleto69 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2017
    Got to say I am still not convinced or buying the reveal about Rey's parentage. Not because it doesn't gel with my head cannon but for three reasons...

1. We know RJ has set out to subvert our expectations (that is a good thing but it could be argued he did it with too many things or went a bit far) so I suspect (but I am quite likely wrong) that RJ (and JJ who had to be involved as Exec Producer) is screwing with us. It has certainly generated a tonne of discussion which is free marketing.

2. It isn't a stretch to say that Kylo was tricking Rey. I mean why would he even know if he doesn't actually already know who Rey is? Why would he have any idea if she is Rey nobody?

3. The colour palette and RJ's use of red. Bear with me on this... Yes Red is the colour associated with the dark side / Sith / evil as embodied in their Light Sabres. It is also the colour of death and bloodshed and there were plenty of characters dying. However, I think RJ might also be hinting at something a bit deeper. Bloodlines! For example, the scraping away of the "salt" on Crait to reveal the blood red below could be hinting at a hidden bloodline being slowly revealed. Is that Rey?

Yes I might be clutching at straws and looking for things that just aren't there but what do others think?

2. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Even if Kylo was telling Rey the truth about her parents I think JJ will make it a lie - The reverse of "I am your father" if you will... For 3 years people were not sure if Vader was lying - This time Kylo will be. I am happy with what we got, but thought it would have been more interesting if she were a somebody (e.g. - Lukes daughter or a former apprentice) only because the one thing I can't make peace with is her instant out of nowhere Jedi powers!

I said this before and I'll say it again - I hated this film the first time, quite liked it the second and loved it the third! I am not easily tricked and don't just cave out of loyalty - It just took a few viewings to work out my feelings towards this film :cool: I think JJ will bring back some of the answers the fans want to really elevate this series.

3. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    Have people considered that Kylo could be telling the truth since Rey confirms it AND that Rey could be related? Though at this point making her Luke or Leia's secret daughter will seem like a total fake out.

However she could be related to Obi-Wan, Palpatine, or Shmi... Etc.

4. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    No in before the lock come on guys. As of right now we believe Rey's parentage is 100% legitimate and till we are provided with solid spoiler evidence that this in fact a lie, there is no need to rehash this argument.

[​IMG]

Yora, Birkendoc and RiddleMeThis like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.