main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey's Parents = Traitors of Luke's Jedi Order (and possibly Knights of Ren)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by SithSense, Jan 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    It stands to reason that Rey's parents were part of the destruction of Luke's Jedi Order.

1. In TLJ, Luke tells Rey the story of how Ben Solo went nuts (after Luke went nuts himself) and attacked him and destroyed his new Jedi Order one thing is notable....Luke tells her that by the time he recovered and surveyed the damage, Ben was gone, most of his new Jedi were dead, and the rest had left with Ben.

2. One of the major criticisms of Rey in TFA was that for a newbie, she had too much of an understanding of the Force....case in point, the Jedi Mind Trick. Naturally a lot of purists were screaming "MARY SUE!" But, it didn't bother me that much....because SOMEONE either had to have taught her something about this, or she had witnessed it in action and decided to try it herself. That helped deepen the mystery of the character.
    [​IMG]

3. In TLJ, Kylo Ben scoffs and calls her parents "nobodies", states that they were drunken salvagers who were "buried in a Jakku desert".
    .....but really how would he know any of this?
    The answer is simple: He doesn't. He's trying to break her down, under his philosophy of "kill the past".

4. Kylo's reaction to learning about Rey in TFA.
    [​IMG]
    "There was a girl..."
    "WHAT GIRL?!"

So here's my theory.....
    Rey's parents were originally students of Luke's and close friends with Ben. Over time, they grow disenchanted with Luke's teaching, so they start exploring the Force on their own...and start teaching their daughter, Rey. They don't necessarily dislike Luke, but they, like many students, decide that he doesn't know half of what he's talking about. His warnings about the "Dark Side" are met with rolling eyes. In fact, perhaps they start contemplating the Force Heresy....there is no Dark Side, there is no Light Side, there is only The Unified Force, and "light" and "dark" just come from the person using it.
    (Because honestly, a Jedi blaming "the Dark Side", is kind of like a modern Christian saying "The Devil Made Me Do It!" No, the Devil/Dark Side didn't make you do anything; you make your own damn choices //end soapbox rant)

Anyway, Luke has his lapse in judgment, Ben fights back, and the Jedi are split into two factions. Those who are pro-Luke, and those who were disenchanted with the Jedi and follow Ben, now calling himself Kylo Ren. Rey's parents are with him....but they feel guilty about joining him after he overthrew (and possibly killed) Luke. Once he aligns with Snoke, they decide to move against him. They leave Rey on Jakku under the "care" of Unkar Plutt (and being watched in secret by Lor San Tekka, because why waste a perfectly good Max Von Sydow), and take off to find and stop Ben.
    Only Kylo and his Knights of Ren kill them....in fact, it's quite possible that Rey's father was the guy getting skewered in her flashback.
    [​IMG]
    And hey, if that's the case, it's a bonus Max Von Sydow Thing....in Game of Thrones MVS's Three-Eyed Raven character takes Bran Stark to the past, where, after watching Ned's duel at the Tower of Joy, he calls out to him, and his father hears him.

What if Rey's father in this scene saw her on the ground and was shocked, distracted, allowing Kylo to stab him? Rey accidentally got her father killed, is what I'm saying.

Anyway, that's why Anakin Skywalker's lightsaber calls to her in Maz's palace. It's making her embrace her role as the person who will *Jedi Prophecy* Bring Balance to the Force.

At least I'm hoping that's the case because that would redeem a lot of TLJ's problems.

2. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    Sorry but no.
    The entire timeline does not fit.

3. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Newsflash; if the title of your post ignores actual information given in the film, and then a skip to the end of your post reveals that your point is based on salvaging a film you didn’t like, then your point is likely to be baseless, unless “sour grapes” is a base

4. Classified8

Classified8 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 8, 2016
    It is actually Rey who reveals that her parents were "nobody". Kylo asks her whether she has always known, and she responds "they were nobody". Kylo then expands on her statement, saying her parents were junkers who sold her for drinking money. The knowledge was always in Rey, but she repressed it until that moment. This is entirely consistent with Rey's scene with Maz in TFA where Maz tells Rey she can see the truth in her eyes, that Rey already knows her family is never coming back.

As to how Kylo knows, that was clearly explained in the elevator on their way up to Snoke. When their hands touched during their Force bond encounter, Kylo saw Rey's parents and Rey saw Kylo's future. The Force theme plays when their hands touch.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  5. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
  6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Does not work Luke only left for hiding like 6 years before TLJ

7. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Absolutely not.

Why does fandom, year after year, continue to come up with these convoluted, stupid theories that literally never pan out?

Darth-Seldon likes this.
  8. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    That is where all the fun comes from

cut-of-space likes this.
  9. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I really think that the movies aren't going to tell us who Rey's parents officially are at all. I think it is going to be left to the books and comics to give them an official name. I think the movies already gave us the details everyone 'needed' to know about the situation.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  10. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    So a thread for a theory that is not only unsubstantiated but contradicted and refuted by the timeline in the films?

11. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Because I'm better at telling stories than Rian F. U. Johnson?

12. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Somehow I doubt it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Classified8

Classified8 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 8, 2016
    That's not the reason.

Ricardo Funes, jaqen and TK327 like this.
  14. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    The fact that your idea for how to fix an aspect of the film, an idea that doesn’t have to do anything except exist in isolation as something that improves the film, doesn’t even make sense in the context of what we know about the film, suggests that your storytelling skill isn’t quite what you think it is.

Ricardo Funes and TK327 like this.
  15. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Since you're happy to derail your own thread with senseless bashing, I see no reason to keep it open.

Locking.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.