main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey's Parents

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by EviL_eLF, Dec 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    At this rate, no matter what happens in IX, people will just shift the Reywalker/Solo reveal onto X.

And they'll fight it out for the next 15 years in anticipation.

Ben-Solo and Satipo like this.
  2. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
    Now that Kylo Ren is the primary villain- whether he's redeemed or not, can we safely assume he meets his end in IX?

So if he's the only one left, that would be the end of the Skywalker bloodline, correct? Can the family saga really continue past Episode IX then?

I don't think it will.

3. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I think 9 is the end of the Skywalker saga.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luke02, jaqen and Ben-Solo like this.
  4. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    Nothing wrong with that at all either, this ensemble is more than capable of continuing the franchise. I believe Rey, Poe and Finn as characters took strides forward in this film.

Satipo likes this.
  5. Curjax Rebo

Curjax Rebo Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 28, 2014
    Obi wan said "If you strike me down, I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine".

whostheBossk likes this.
  6. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Assumptions really didn't work out for this fandom this go round.

So nope, I won't be assuming IX ends with Kylo's literal demise.

Chained Prometheus and Ben-Solo like this.
  7. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
  8. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    This is such a great piece that nails so much about why the reveal works, and also explains why the film works for me (and not for others).

Ben-Solo and Chained Prometheus like this.
  9. Ace08

Ace08 Jedi Master

May 24, 2002

And the two things aren't tied? You tend to have more faith when you know what you're doing and have experience. I think that's the point

10. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    If that's the point, why didn't Yoda say it?

He didn't.....his focus was on Luke's faith: "Do...or do not. There is no try."

Chained Prometheus likes this.
  11. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013
    Been saying for two years now that part of why Rey immediately took to the Force so well in contrast to Luke was because she never had a problem with having faith in the Force. Her struggles were always about her parents and now also her insecurities of feeling like she's just a nobody in a grand epic about a galactic royal family she's meeting.

Satipo, Ben-Solo and MeBeJedi like this.
  12. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    For the last two years I was almost completely convinced that Rey would be Luke's kid and after seeing the movie for the first time I was supremely disappointed that her parents were a couple of nobodies. That said I will be equally annoyed if Ep. 9 rolls around and they say, "Psych! Rey's parents are really a couple of OT characters!" Good lord that would completely undercut TLJ in a major way and it wouldn't add a darn thing to the story. Yes I wanted Rey to be Luke's kid, in part so that we'd have a character on the light side to carry on the Skywalker name, but that's not the story they told and I'm totally cool with that now. Don't reverse course J.J.!

How stupid would it be if they made Rey a Skywalker or Solo, or Kenobi, in Ep. 9 after TLJ spent two and half hours hitting us over the head that we need to let go of the past?

13. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I have a couple of theories about that. 1) As I've said for a while now back when TFA was being made they knew that Luke wasn't going to be in it until the very end but the powers that be still wanted to include a good guy character with cool Force powers and light saber skills so they juiced Rey up so we could have those cool action sequences. 2) I think the in-universe explanation for why Rey is so powerful is that the Force works in mysterious ways.

14. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Chained Prometheus

God that this epically weak if true. I rather have it be the force is changing and studying the force is no nessecary which fits right into the Google Generation who believe by just showing up, you are going to succeed (which is the bane of my existence at work now).

Going back to Rey though, I actually enjoyed that part and the answer. I been calling it for well over a year as it fit well especially since we find out dear old Rey lived in a land of delusion which Kylo called out on. He could been a bit more sensitive about it but these characters do not have much experience trying to woo the opposite sex LOL!

15. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013

I mean, the films make it clear that it's not just a matter of faith. Think back to TFA with the infamous "We'll use the Force!"/"THAT'S NOT HOW THE FORCE WORKS!" exchange. There's definitely more going on. But regardless, my point is that once Rey was able to tap into the Force and figure out the basics, she took to it like a fish to water because she had no trouble putting her faith in it and herself.

The whole faith angle of the Force has been there since 1980 with the big scenes between Luke and Yoda. Rey just provides another example of it in TFA.

Satipo and Ben-Solo like this.
  16. RetropME

RetropME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2017
    Rey Random was terrible because of execution, not the fact that she was Random. Hopefully Episode IX will elaborate on her past more or at least give a fuller explanation of her abilities. I couldn't care less if they retcon her as related as long as her character has a complete arc which IMO she did not in TLJ.

ladygrey45 likes this.
  17. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Chained Prometheus

See it is little hard seeing that narrative work when the character in question literally had to make an entire backstory up about her parents/family coming back for her and lived a lie for years (which btw I throughly enjoy and was one of the strongest parts of the film). Perhaps they will show that was holding her back and now that she put her redneck parents dead and buried in Jakku, she will be able to tap into the force more. I still do not see where the struggle is, the failure and learning but again these films are being made for Google Generation and the world failure is no longer in there vocabulary (in a bad way).

And yes it has been and when George Lucas told Lawrence Kasdan that anyone can use the force, just the Jedi train at it more then anything else...LK nearly lost his mind.

Personally I think we are totally over thinking this and just Disney does not want the whole training, master/students relationships anymore and basically just wants a bunch of superheroes fighting each other. But I would point out to them, even superheroes with all their natural talents and abilities need to train.

18. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    We COULD find out that Rey was indeed not related as Kylo said. But there could be a twist in what he said. Maybe she was just a child of parents from Jakuu BUT her parents weren't junkers or drunks. Maybe they really cared for Rey and Kylo was just twisting what Rey thought she knew. Maybe her parents bravely protected Rey the best way they could knowing that she'd some day be a hero to help the galaxy. Maybe they ran away from the First Order to Jakuu, were indeed poor, but were hunted due to Rey and sacrificed themselves. Maybe they were MUCH more than just paupers and were royalty and went to Jakuu to hide for Rey's sake.

I really think there should be more to the story. I'm okay if she's unrelated but hopefully there's more that Rey finds out and realizes that she was always seen as someone special.

So not a chosen one, not part of the Skywalker legacy, and not a child of junkers, but someone from a "common" background or royalty turned common for a reason.

And yes (I will have to see it again to see what Kylo actually said) if they were in Jakuu graves, then it wasn't them on that ship.

19. skybender

skybender Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2017
    Now that they've tackled the "anyone can be somebody" theme, I think they should address the "everyone IS somebody." Show us her parents, show us when she was a child and thrown away, show us why it defines her so much. Show us that anyone is somebody and worthy of a full fleshed background, especially our main character. Even if they think they are "no one." But it wouldn't surprise me if Rey's background is dropped after the theme of TLJ.

20. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    skybender

If Rey isn’t going to struggle with the force and is more of a natural “user” then we seen before, then I think a great way to show her trial and struggles will be emotionally center around her parents with her anger fueled by her abandonment/making her a “nobody”. It set up really well in TLJ as it seemed like the thing that sent Rey into her rage against Kylo which can be what is the emotional lightning rod for her with him even beyond good vs evil thing since they literally shut the door on #Reylo even though it was one of the best parts of the film. She lives this really lie and Kylo busted her on it. Her anger towards him over knowing and obviously her parents could be her true struggle in Episode IX.

But I bet dollar to donuts that plot line stays buried in the Jakku desert with her redneck deadbeat parents.

21. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I fear that, I really do. But I don't think that would do honor to Rey. I'm getting over the idea that Rey may not be related, but think there needs to be more to the story. Otherwise the mystery is reduced to a passing line just as Snoke was reduced to an idiot who gets sliced i half.

And we have JJ coming on board to finish it and telling everyone that when he created these things he never had anything in mind other than throwaway plot points. So that burden no longer falls on Rian but solely on JJ. If JJ can make more of it and tie into the plot then both he and Rian and everyone else wins.

Colin Trevorrow told us that Rey deserves a "profoundly satisfying" story or answers. This was after TLJ was pretty much finished and Colin knew the story of TLJ (he had to since he was writing IX at the time). So what we are saying is that Colin's gone, JJ is back, and the satisfying finish is null and void? Because no matter what they do with Rey moving forward, there will always be anguish about her family.

So meet us halfway. Keep her random, that's fine. But give more meat to the story. That's why I say we have half truths (typical in SW). Rey is "random" but not from scummy druggies but rather parents who loved her. Kylo, having been from a sort of royalty, simply looks down on people like that NOT REALIZING that his own grandfather he admires so much was from the poor life. And anyone can be someone, maybe her parents were not always poor but had to escape the terror of the First Order.

And THAT is how you wrap it up while keeping Rey random!

22. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    TLJ made it's point.

Rey's parents were awful, sold her, and it turns out she's "special". She has her found family, which is the theme of this ST by the way, and her very unique abilities.

Leave her parents to EU material. TFA was never preoccupied by their identity, but rather their actions, how their decisions affected Rey. TLJ completed that arc. It's over.

23. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    This. They bit the bullet. No point unbiting now.

I'm not 100% against a lie from Kylo/ or further development re Rey's parents but a) I don't think it's necessary and I agree that the point has been made b) I don't see any lie making her related now and c) I've learned my lesson after TFA - there is zero point over-theorising.

BTW - un case anyone feels like pinning all this on a change of plan by Rian, while he did set the origin, we also know that JJ had come to the same conclusion as well. So, there really seems like very little chance of him changing it back just to keep the bloodline crowd happy.

We also know that RJ had the basic story in place in August 2014 which fits the whole theorised timeline that RJ came in, cracked the story, at which point during filming Daisy was told and after which it never changed.

• January 9, 2013 - The first visual meeting about new Star Wars movies
    • May 16, 2014 - The Force Awakens begins filming
    • May 27, 2014 - Rogue One director Gareth Edwards’ first day at Lucasfilm
    • July 2, 2014 - Rian Johnson’s first day at Lucasfilm
    • August 2014 - The basic story for The Last Jedi is in place
    • November 12, 2014 - A production office for The Last Jedi opens in Burbank, CA
    • March 4, 2015 - The first draft of The Last Jedi is completed.
    • April 20, 2015 - Rian Johnson and his team present the film and early work to Disney executives.
    • July 29, 2015 - The second draft of The Last Jedi is submitted.
    • August 3, 2015 - Rogue One starts filming.
    • September 15-17, 2015 - Johnson and his crew capture the first footage for The Last Jedi on Skellig Michael in Ireland. This “preshoot” was to get outdoor shots before the weather changed.
    • December 11, 2015 - A third draft of The Last Jedi is complete.
    • December 18, 2015 - The Force Awakens opens in theaters.
    • February 1, 2016 - The first draft of the shooting script for The Last Jedi is completed.

24. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    JJ Abrams already read The Last Jedi script in 2016 and he recently showed IX story to Bob Iger. If Rian's decisions could complicate them, JJ Abrams could tell him

25. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    JJ and RJ coming to the same conclusion is a funny thing. Presumably one of the reasons JJ didn't reveal Rey's parentage in TFA was to keep things open for the director/writer of Ep. 8. So it seems like JJ wanted Rey to be a random but was cool with RJ changing that however RJ didn't, he kept Rey a random. So TFA was released with all these hints and suggestions that Rey could be related to the OT cast but by the time that TFA hit theaters JJ and RJ had decided that she's a random. Ugh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.