main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey's Parents

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by EviL_eLF, Dec 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    A way to make her a Solo, would be tricky without going into the idea of Han being a jerk in this case, but if you're willing to bite it...

Han, while away from Leia, during a moment of stupidity, had a relationship with an unknown person. Said person went to Jakuu and gave birth to Rey and left her behind because she couldn't care for a force sensitive child. Han didn't know because he's not force senstive. Rey doesn't know that Han is her father because she doesn't recall her mother at all. Thus making her Ben's half sister.

Making her a skywalker is a bit easier. You have two options here.

1. Luke hooked up with someone, maybe another force sensitive person. She left his side, and went to find her own peace of mind. While away she gave birth to her daughter. Due to her life style she gave up Rey to Unkar who may have been someone she worked with with the intention to come back. She's either passed on now, or could not get back to her daughter, maybe due to being stuck in the Outer Rim. As for how he didn't know, easy answer, he cut himself off from the Force that he didn't feel it when she started to display her abilities. Remember Rey only recently realized she could do this so if Luke is cut off from the force he wouldn't feel it. And as for him not recognizing her when she showed up. If he didn't see her as a baby, then how would he know who she was. He wouldn't ask about her family because he wouldn't know who her mother was because she doesn't know at this point.

2. The Empire, in the years between TFA and ROTJ, got hold of Luke's blood some how. Easy set up is with the hand. They already had known about Cloning Tech, and it's not outside of the realm of possible that someone, wanting to make another Vader, could have created a child of Luke, by pretty much using the DNA from the Hand and using another subject, willingly. Said Subject ran off with the child to hide from the FO and ended up dumping her on Jakku.

Ta da, to easy to follow plots to make her a Skywalker and one to make her a Solo.

2. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    While I agree with this I kinda feel like they could've addressed this in TFA. Even before TFA came out people were speculating that Rey was related to somebody in the OT. Seems like they could've let us wonder that for the first half of TFA and then let us know in the second half that she's a nobody. Though I'll admit that the reveal might not have been as powerful since we were just meeting this character and hadn't spent that much time with her.

3. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Were we not explicitly told that Snoke connected them in the Force and planted what they saw when they touched?

4. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014

It wouldn’t have been. It’s the gut punch at the end of act two in TLJ. It’s like saying they should have let us know on the Death Star that Vader was Luke’s dad because some fans wouldn’t like it when they found out. I’m sure if Empire was released today some fans would hate that twist. and while some fans clearly hate the Random reveal, a lot love it, and out in the real world, it’s a reveal that seems to have gone down critically very well.

Had they revealed her as related I suspect there would have been joy from the invested but s general feeling of eyerolls and shrugs in general as SW doubled down on its ever smaller universe and soap opera trappings which have become as cumbersome and limiting as they have anything positive. This is a shock and I appreciate that not everyone is happy about it, but I think in the long run it will be seen as a great move, and if this is the way they wanted to take it, they absolutely should have been allowed to deliver it in the way they have. They knew there would be a certain degree of backlash but this is the story they wanted to tell. I think that’s the right thing to do Vs bow to fear of fan anger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Lance Toris

Lance Toris Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 22, 2015

I still don't buy it. Rey's lineage is her personal MacGuffin, even all the way through TLJ. Even if her lineage is not "special", finding out who her parents were is still something she will seek. I just don't think we know the full story yet.

6. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Word.

Satipo likes this.
  7. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

She knows who her parents are.

They were there all along. But she blocked herself from seeing it. Kylo had no such emotional investment in delusion. But all he did was have her face the truth, which is the same thing Maz did in TFA.

The "mystery" exists in fan's heads.

DARTHSHAME, Ben-Solo and Satipo like this.
  8. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    She knows who they are. They are nobodies who didn’t want her. She wanted to see them. Not know who they were. As it stands now anyway. The answer “nobody” comes from Rey. Not Kylo. And it’s an answer she’s always known but couldn’t admit to herself, along with the lie was that they were ever coming back for her.

ETA - it’s possible she didn’t know if they were dead or not. It’s also possible that Kylo could be lying about the details, I guess but I like it how it is. I don’t think it’s at all likely he’s lying about them being nobodies because it’s Rey that says that, not Kylo.

9. Dory Vader

Dory Vader Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 15, 2015
    I think that we have to accept that as things stand now, Rey is a Nobody.

However, we cannot rule out (Just like RJ cannot rule out) a subsequent revelation in IX that she is related to someone. What I mean is, that SW has become synonmous with big twists or revelations and from a certain point of view.

I can see and wont rule out IX being played out like this:

There is a time jump of several years. We catch up with the crew a few years later.
    Kylo is new emperor and off searching for Rey and other force sensitives. He probably also has a new powerful apprentice who is wreaking havoc.
    Rey is also searching for them; and is taking on a student too. They all cross paths a few times.
    Rey is continuing to get guidance from Luke as a FG.
    During one of the low points for Rey and her new Jedi, she is losing confidence and talks to Luke. She says she can't do this, she is a nobody etc. .
    Luke tells her that its not true. She is a somebody etc. . . That he didn't tell her because he feared to make matters worse; feared for her. He was cut off from the force and resigned to death in TLJ. That he was wrong not to tell her. Could be a very emotional scene for them, us, and Rey.
    Rey uses this information to steel her resolve to help Kylo and redeem him; just like Luke did to Vader.
    She eventually succeeds and Kylo in an act of self sacrifice is redeemed; probably by killing his new nasty apprentice.
    In doing so, she brings FG Kylo into harmony with Luke and all is well in the Galaxy.

It could work like that. Very dramatic.

But, I agree. The way TLJ was written, she is a nobody. But it doesn't rule out that there could be a twist.

Perhaps JJ and RJ agreed on a long drawn out reveal etc. . . JJ saying the TFA couldnt handle more than one familial reveal doesn't make sense if she really is a nobody. It would have been nothing to do that.

I don't know. . .

whostheBossk likes this.
  10. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    So Disney broke the saga structure to make more money. Why should I be exited again?

11. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    The problem with this thinking is that TPTB just made a deliberate and intentional break with that way of thinking. They are not going to reverse that because some fans are unhappy. If they reverse it you’ll also have plenty of unhappy fans and the general reaction beyond the invested will be a massive groan. Plus we know JJ had come to the same conclusion as RJ on who she should be - no one.

12. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    The minute RJ said that his goal in TLJ was to make the major characters face their hardest challenges, Rey reuniting with a loving family was dead in the water.

Even if Rey turned out to be related, the hardest challenge would be learning that Luke, or Leia, abandoned her on purpose.

RJ was never, ever going to write a film where Rey, regardless of her DNA, has some loving, touching reunion with living parents. Or finds out that her dead parents were wonderful people who lost her by mistake.

They either had to be terrible people that never returned, decent people who made a terrible decision for what they assumed were good reasons, or people Rey killed with her powers but blocked out.

This isn't 7th Heaven.

13. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015

Yeah, no, I still don't buy that. She knows who they are, then why did they not show up in the mirror? That's the thing here. The whole "She's nobody" is based on that one moment. But the Dark side never tells truths. It twists things. And there in lies the whole situation. Rey didn't see anyone because she doesn't know who they are. she sees them as no one because she believes it as such since she has no bases to figure out who they are. That Mirror, I think only showed her herself because she raised herself. She didn't have a mom or dad. There's something way off that they are playing with here.

There's the thing...she said "Nobody" not "Nobodies."

There's a difference in the definition and the use of the term. We as viewers may see her saying "Nobody" as in no one of importance. But Kylo asked what she saw...not who they are. And she...saw...nobody.

She answered truthfully, there was no one there. No body, no person, just shadows. And that...that I think is key here.

Yes he's telling the truth as he sees it. He hears the word "Nobody" and jumps to "Yes you're from a junker family." blah blah. Yet even then we know that Rey didn't see the true vision of what was going on. She only saw what Ben saw as truth. So for Ben, he probably saw what we saw in the Force back. Rey being left behind with a junky spaceship and he filled in the blanks.

Luke told her the truth of the situation, and we see how different he looks in that scene. He's not full of anger or hate there, he's worried, scared by what he sees in Ben's mind, and then we get Ben's reaction. So from Ben's POV, yes he did tell the truth...but he doesn't have the real truth of the matter. He's seeing what she saw, no more no less. So while he's telling "The Truth" it's only His truth, not The Truth, not all of the pieces. There was a reason why Episode VII's trailer had Marks line about the connections between the Skywalkers, and I think that it's going to connect back to Rey. It could be she's Lukes, it could be she's Anakins too.

14. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    The question has been answered. We did not lock the last thread just to have a new one opened after the film was released. Locking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.