main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rey's theme or The Jedi Steps, which is your favourite?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by GiĆ²da, May 23, 2016.

?

Rey's theme or The Jedi Steps

1. Rey's theme

17 vote(s)
    73.9%
  2. The Jedi Steps

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  1. Jedi Rey X

Jedi Rey X Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2016
    Rey, but I am really confused :)

2. sbk1234

sbk1234 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 21, 2014
    ditto

3. BenYodaDagobah

BenYodaDagobah Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2016
    The Jedi Steps. Rey's Theme is great too, but I have to go with The Jedi Steps.

It's funny because I originally thought The Jedi Steps would be Rey's theme. It was in a TV spot that focuses on Rey at the beginning. During my first viewing, I didn't pay much attention to the score at all; I was taking in Star Wars Episode VII, which still looks and sounds strange to me. After getting home from the theater, I played the soundtrack right away. I hadn't listened to any previous Star Wars soundtracks in their entirety before TFA, but of course I knew most of themes; however, after watching TFA once without listening to the soundtrack, I had no idea what the themes were. I didn't know what Finn's was until getting some help from some of you. Even more, I didn't recognize The Scavenger or Rey's Theme. Anyways, I played the TFA soundtrack, and The Jedi Steps was what I wanted. I took it in when I listened to it and knew how important it would be to me.

I've listened to The Jedi Steps and played it in my head just about every day since December 18th. I can't recall any other piece of music or any scene that has made me feel as emotional as the final scene in TFA. It puts me into the scene. When I watch it or listen to The Jedi Steps, it feels like I'm there with Rey asking Luke to come back. Luke will always be my favorite character, and this scene and the music feel so right after waiting for him. When Rey is climbing the steps, to me it's feels both magical like Yoda's Theme and tender like Luke and Leia. When Luke appears, it has the same magical feel as Yoda's Theme, then it builds like Yoda and the Force. The music fades, and the Force theme plays as Rey offers the lightsaber to Luke. He is troubled by this. Rey is uncertain at first then accepts what she is doing is best for both of them. Luke and Rey aren't ready, but they know they need to move on together. The Force theme is a very fitting ending, and it supports both characters as they move forward in this difficult yet hopeful moment. I associate the Force theme with Luke most, and after his absence, the Force theme brings it all together with Rey's plea and Luke's return. It's a great balance with the new Jedi Steps and familiar Force theme.

Listening to The Jedi Steps for the first time and knowing it was called The Jedi Steps and what scene appears in changed everything. The TFA soundtrack, The Jedi Steps more specifically, gave me an appreciation for the music of Star Wars. Before this, the only tracks that had any importance to me were Binary Sunset and The Rebel Fleet. Now, the list goes on. I started to notice and truly appreciate the music in Star Wars and am learning about new music of Star Wars altogether. Star Wars is even more enjoyable now because I can to listen to the characters and story.