main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey's Vision and How it Impacts Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk , Jul 16, 2018.

1. Rebellious Princess

Rebellious Princess Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 27, 2018
    I mean Luke was not doing anything. He was no help at all even if he had sensed Rey. At the time JJ had him still able to use the Force, so I can't say it's because he cut himself off from it. That's one of the things Rian changed. I think Obi-Wan was trying to help with the aid of the other Force Ghosts, but he barely reached her. Why only he could is the question like you're asking. Was he stronger than Anakin or Yoda? Was it because he is tied to her somehow? Is it because of Anakin's Lightsaber, or because of her ties to Ben as his other half? Hopefully we get an explanation in IX.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  2. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Hopefully. For me personally, that's a big question I want answered. It has intrigued me since the start of all of this. Going into TLJ I was even looking forward to something being revealed about it. So now I'm completely hoping it gets answered in IX.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    Rebellious Princess likes this.
  3. Rebellious Princess

Rebellious Princess Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 27, 2018
    Same. The fact they even had Ewan do some of the voice clips for it, making all that effort just to drop it would be such a shame.

4. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    I don't know if the specifics of the vision will be relevant, as I think that they're open to interpretation ( as visions of the future seem to be in Star Wars ), but what I think is happening in that scene is that the Force, via the saber, or more specifically the crystal within it, is showing Rey a particular path of destiny, including a history of those who will play an important role in that destiny. I think that it's the understanding of that destiny, what it is, and where it comes from that's important to the story going forward.

So, to summarise: Destiny, destiny, destiny, and more destiny. :)

5. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Didn't someone (Pablo?) say that the vision shouldn't be taken literally and was basically an artistic interpretation of things?

6. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    My hope is for this saga to end up being about the grandchildren of Kenobi & Anakin and them handling things differently than how things went in ROTS.

PhoenixRebel and Wildcatbarry like this.
  7. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    Also, the temple is on fire in the TLJ flashback scene, but isn't in the TFA flashback scene.

8. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    In TLJ we have Ben 'killing' Luke and Ben/Kylo sparing Leia years later.

When Ben brings the roof down on Luke, a woman scream is heard.

By then we are not inside Bens mind. This 'killing' thing happened before.

The screaming woman was 'killed' by Ben and then spared by Ben/Kylo years later.

Shes the one he walks towards after killing the clan leader.

9. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    I think we do get an explanation. Mainly because it was such an intense scene and IN is back. I expect to have the Kylo with KOR scene played out at either the clan village or outside the temple where Rey was training. I always felt like Rey was Luke's student and Kylo spared her by saving her and dropping her off on Jakku. So her family was always the Jedi in training or now known as KOR. The rest of that Jedi class are dead.

10. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Wait so why didn't Kylo Ren retrieve Luke's old lightsaber when he attacked the villagers? Isn't that why he was there in the first place?

Also just by coincidence the little girl that survived being killed by Ben Solo later grows up to be a powerful Force wielder, who just happens to cross paths with the same lightsaber that was in her village, the same village that was attacked by Ben Solo and then years later Rey ends up facing off against Ben Solo now Kylo Ren? I'm not saying it's not possible but wow that's a lot of coincidence.

11. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    I’m in the camp that rain soaked scene was a future vision which we will see in Episode 9. Perhaps they finally track down Rey. Was the person killed the last survivor or was he a Knight too aggressive and Kylo has to kill him.

12. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    if u watch resistance its more then likely that that scene is kylo and the knights destroying tehar hunting for force sensitive children like Eila and her brother Kel . it just fits more then ITS THE FUTURE

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  13. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Yeah it might work better if that scene is from the future.

If Rey’s parents really were killed by Kylo in the past and they’re nobodies why didn’t they tell us that in TFA? Why make it a mystery?

14. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    I hadn’t watched Resistance. Hopefully that won’t be something needed. I feel like that was a minor but at the same time a major flaw in Solo.

15. ScreamingWoman2019

Aug 11, 2018

This question is also relevant for what we have after that: was there a reason why Rey would hear her young self behind her, yelling 'come back!' when Kylo walks towards her?

In the massacre scene, Ben is already Kylo Ren and has his lightsaber and everything, so it took place after Luke's temple was destroyed. But Rey had been in Jakku for 7-8 years by then.

Who's Kylo walking towards? Adult Rey is not there; for one second we see things from his POV (the camera's behind his back; the last part of the vision, with Rey falling backwards in fright, uses the same POV, also for a second)

My idea is that, whoever this person is, Kylo knew him/her.

'Her', probably.

In the TLJ script we have: 'Just the briefest thought. But then his eyes go from his saber to his sleeping nephew, and they change. The hate vanishes. But Kylo is awake. Eyes wide with fear, seeing the saber in Luke’s hand. He knows what Luke saw, he knows what Luke considered'

Maybe little Rey saw it too...and Han. 'Too much Vader in him' (Leia: 'that's why I wanted him to train with Luke')

16. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    If Rey's vision of the KoR is from the future maybe it's a part of a scene where Rey is battling some non-First Order forces and then Kylo and the KoR show up and kill that guy, not because Kylo wants to help Rey out but because if anybody is going to kill Rey Kylo wants it to be him.

17. Mila Lazarus

Mila Lazarus Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 29, 2018
    I'm always suspiscious about what's written in the novelization, because so much of what was written in the books never appeared in the movies... But I agree this woman screaming always makes me wonder too, even though it could be only an anonymous woman killed by the future Kylo Ren.... More generally, it would be interesting to learn what Luke really saw in Ben's mind: a vision of the "future", like Anakin's visions of his mother and Padme dying? Or Ben's darkest fantasies? Or something else but then, what?

And what if this vision had been inspired by the Dark Side to tempt Luke and to make him commit his most serious mistake? It always stroke me that when we see Kylo's version of what happened at the Temple, Luke looks so cruel, he almost looks like a Sith ready to murder his enemy... Luke certainly didn't have this look when he watched Ben; in his version, he looks more desperate than anything else. But it makes me wonder then: how much is the Dark Side able to corrupt someone's mind enough to corrupt his primary senses? If Ben had seen despair in Luke's eyes rather than hate, would have he reacted the same way?

But sorry I'm a bit off topic here, so I come back to Rey's vision: I'm not enclined at all to think that this vision of Kylo and KoR has anything to do with her parents. She claimed in TLJ that Luke was wrong to think that Ben was already lost to the Dark Side before he burnt the Temple, and I tend to believe she saw something in Ben's mind that makes her claim true. Besides, I'm not at all at ease with the idea that a 15 years old Ben was already busy at slaughtering innocent people, first because it would mean that Luke was not able to sense it then. He told Rey he had suspected Snoke's influence before the event at the Temple, but he apparently never felt that he had already committed such villainies. It's a thing to be tempted by the Dark Side (like Anakin was before kiling the young Jedi), it's another to be fully committed to it.

it would make much more sense if it was another vision of the future indeed... Rey hears the little girl version of her screaming before witnessing this scene with the KoR, it's even this scream that attracts her to the light saber, so I don't think that the events have to be related... If it was a vision of the future (like her fighting with Kylo in the snow), it would at least explain why it was not evoked in TLJ. And as the fight in the snow, the reality could be slightly different than the vision (in the vision she sees a masked Kylo, while in reality he was unmasked when they fought).

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  18. JohnWilliamsSonoma

JohnWilliamsSonoma Force Ghost star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    This vision isn't making another appearance in the next movie. Just my opinion.

19. Knight of Jedi Ren Sith

Knight of Jedi Ren Sith Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 29, 2018
    I think the vision doesn't have much to do plotwise except for expressing that Rey's been thrust into this Skywalker/Jedi drama.

The Knights of Ren play some role in this, and we can only hope an interesting one for E9. But maybe not.

Rey's vision is largely expressionistic and symbolic. In no serious way should we put more into it than that. Could it somehow mean more? Sure. But given the lack of story in the ST, I wouldn't put much stock in that. None, in fact.

I believe JJ's even said the vision is mainly expressionistic.

20. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    You might be right but most of the other scenes from the forceback do reference important plot points throughout the movies. It would be odd if the KoR was just there to be expressionistic.

21. Knight of Jedi Ren Sith

Knight of Jedi Ren Sith Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 29, 2018
    Yeah, I think they could be an exception, and I hope so. But they don't need to be -- they can just be in the vision to express Kylo's power and darkness.

The other images you mention can also be important expressionistically or literally: they're communicating to Rey an important chain of events which have led to her being chosen by the Force. Luke had to face Vader and ultimately that conflict resulted in Kylo Ren. This caused Luke to quit and Rey to become next in this current line of Jedi. She was abandoned and the Force embraced her. That may very well be the reason the Force took interest in her.

But the point is it's not necessary to make anything of the imagery more than this. None of it needs to mean that Bespin is important or that Rey is Luke's child or that Rey must face the KoR in a rainy scene. JJ could do that, if he wanted to, but it's not mandatory.

There's not much in the ST that is mandatory really, except obvious things like Kylo being bad and Rey being good. We should have all learned from TLJ that there's nothing necessary about the imagery here in terms of plot connection.

22. ScreamingWoman2019

Aug 11, 2018

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Wildcatbarry

Jan 23, 2015

Never noticed until just now, but at the 2:17-2:18 mark in the clip behind Rey you can see a cape flash as if someone is spinning around. This point is when our vantage is from Kylo's pov over his left shoulder. It is like Rey is standing in front of someone. Check it out and let me know

24. ScreamingWoman2019

Aug 11, 2018
    I noticed it. Dont know about 'a cape flash as if someone is spinning around'. It could be. But there seems to be someone there. Also, we have this February 2015 MSW leak:

• Flashback: Exterior Night: the last man is down and Kylo Ren approaches Rey!
    Hmm, just saw it again. Dont know. Maybe he/she is doing the same thing Rey does. TFA script: 'She gets to her feet, frightened by what she sees'

By the way, TFA novelization: 'Battlefield then, all around her. Putting a hand to her mouth, she rose and turned. As she turned, she found herself confronted by seven tall, cloaked figures, dark and foreboding, all armed. Soaked and shivering, she stumbled backward, turning as she half fell. Firelight illuminated her, firelight from a distant, burning temple. The seven vanished. A sound made her turn, and she blinked in surprise at the sight of a small blue-and-silver R2 unit'

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    whostheBossk likes this.
  25. Wildcatbarry

Jan 23, 2015
    Watch very closely (at mark 2:17-2:18) at the lower portion of the screen right behind Rey's right hand you can see what looks like a cape twirling as if someone is spinning around quickly. If you blink you'll miss it.

You could turn your viewer on half speed or one-quarter speed to aid in the viewing.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019