main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rian Johnson (Director Of TLJ) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

1. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
  2. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    I mean, I guess their *broadly* similar if you want to try and force a comparison, lol. But using that metic a lot of movies "rip off" a lot of other movies just because two scenes have broad similarities. I suppose it could be an homage, but as stated above Johnson apparently hasn't even seen Escape from LA so that seems unlikely)

Humor?

What's that?:p

Sometimes I think @anakinfansince1983 takes things too seriously.

And then sometimes she surprises me[face_mischief]:p

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
  3. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    I think less broadly similar and more basically 50 percent similar, to me.

4. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Oh my gawd it’s the same scene childhood ruined RJ is no longer a god to me

5. Obironsolo

Obironsolo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    If people aren't that emotionally invested in something, they're not going to care if it was stolen or not, which is why no one cares about this.

6. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    My voluminous issues with TLJ do not need Escape from LA comparisons ha.

7. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    The only real similarity between the two scenes is that a hologram is mistaken for the hero and attacked. Otherwise, they’re almost completely different. Snake is a nihilistic anti-hero who’s bounced out of danger to inaugurate a chaotic new world to frustrate President Evil Uncle Ben Parker, where the mode of his trick is foreshadowed by the gadget review at the start of the film, but not in the scene where he uses it. Luke is presented as a reconstructed classic hero bravely distracting the villain while the sequence actually telegraphs its reveal in that same scene, then dies.

Both are very much limited to what each character would be expected to do with a holographic fake-out.

8. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    I never realized they were the same dude before, lol...

godisawesome and Mr. Forest like this.
  9. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Now if you want to say Snake from Metal Gear Solid ripped off Snake from Escape from NY then I would agree. Its still a great game series.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
  10. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Hideo Kojima’s games are basically what happens when a massive nerd throws every reference he can into a story, then constructs a genuinely creative story around it.

11. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I've been playing the VR missions of Metal Gear Solid. Im sure Rian Johnson likes Metal Gear Solid. See how I made that relevant?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
  12. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    Rian Johnson's Metal Gear

[​IMG]

13. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    I don't see how talking about Rain Johnson in the Rain Johnson thread is in anyway relevant[face_mischief]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [face_whistling]

14. mtt02263

mtt02263 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 29, 2020
    Metal Gear Rey?

15. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    …It *is* a bipedal tank being maneuvered by someone who goes by “BB.”

16. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    See guys, isn't this nice?

We don't *always* have to be at each other's throats over a silly movie:)

17. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Yeah but I wasted a whole bucket of popcorn [face_laugh]

18. Master Endz-One

Master Endz-One Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 30, 2017
    Disney cast 2 different Directors, not giving a direction of the Trilogy and no one consulted with each other. Also, at least one of the Directors knew nothing about StarWars.

The Force Awakens comes out and the fan base was in an uproar, they said it was an exact copy of A New Hope.

Fans wanted a original story and idea, then they got one. After The Last Jedi fans were in a outrage, saying this doesn't feel like StarWars.

They put J.J. Abrams back for The Rise Of Skywalker and he tried to undo everything Rian Johnson did and it was disappointing

You can't create great films pandering to Fans. Disney made the biggest mistake and throws blame on the Directors. The Sequel Trilogy was mismanaged from the start.

Answering the Rian Johnson question, he's a creative Director and I liked most of The Last Jedi, except how they handled Luke. Rian Johnson wasn't a StarWars fan and didn't do the character service, but his ideas made room for something different and possibly great. Kylo overthrowing his Master and trying to start something new, Disney lost a major opportunity to do something unique and they failed.

I think Rian Johnson is a good Director and enjoyed his other movies. I don't see him as a great Director, but he's better than average for sure

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  19. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
  20. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    While I agree that the management of the ST was badly handled and that TFA "borrowed" a lot from ANH. But TLJ "borrows" just as much if not more from ESB and RotJ so I don't felt it to be very "original".
    It does some twists of some characters in order to be "See, this is different" But to me it didn't work.
    Twisting Luke into this cynical person that was prepared to let the galaxy burn failed because the film did not do enough to make it believable.
    It was the 8th film in a nine film series and the sequel to TFA and to me, it did not do a very good job of either.

The ST needed an overall plan or the same person doing all three to have some consistency.
    Alas we did not get that and we had a first film with a number of flaws but with some potential and some characters that I liked. TLJ then shot itself in the foot and tossed much of that aside and RoS had to salvage something from two films that did not work together and it was a mess.

Bye for now.
    Blackboard Monitor

21. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    Did we get something new? I think what we got was a lot of repeating beats of The Empire Strikes Back and Return Of The Jedi.

22. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I think I would put it this way:

- We *did* get something new sometimes, especially regarding tone, dramatic prioritization, and in some concepts lightly touched on, but…

- Substantially, and especially for the new characters like Rey, Finn, and even Kylo, we not only didn’t get anything new, we didn’t get much of anything at all.

Now, some of that is viewed differently by audience members based on who they are focusing on - a person focusing more on Luke, for instance, is more likely to feel that there’s much more new and bold material than someone focusing on Rey and Finn. And some of that is more the result of uneven execution - Kylo killing Snoke, for instance, is often argued about as to whether it was about him becoming the lead villain or saving Rey as her male lead.

But it’s also because it’s just unevenly applied, and often to the detriment fo the story around it.

Rogue One, for instance, was actually also very much about changing up tone, dramatic prioritization, and genre of story… but applied it throughout its runtime: all the character are treated like they’re in a war-film, the stakes throughout align to that of a war-film, and even the fantastical elements like Vader’s powers are treated as military action assets.

In contrast, The Last Jedi only applies its “art film” POV to select characters and events, and otherwise relied very much on rote repetition of the familiar, but without any spark of ambition when it did so. If Rey, Finn, and the military storyline were treated with the same degree of seriousness and ambition that Luke got, it would be a completely different movie from what we got. Similarly, Poe and Kylo each receive a kind of half-and-half treatment in this: Kylo’s feelings and Poe’s insubordination are treated seriously… but the consequences of their actions are almost completely ignored as dramatic tools.

TFA is easy to argue as treading familiar territory, but being ambitious and imaginative when doing do throughout; TLJ is much more ambitious and even reckless with Luke, but is actually far more sedate and “safe” outside of his story.

Jedi_Fenrir767 and 2Cleva like this.
  23. sian1965

sian1965 Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 26, 2020
    I think RJ gets a lot of bad press because of his depiction of Luke as a cynic, but look at what he had to work with - JJ simply said in TFA that Luke had disappeared. He gave him no reason, so RJ had to come up with a valid reason as to why a 'King Arthur' type character had isolated himself like a willing Robinson Crusoe in space for more than half a decade.
    He also had a character who was almost a blank slate - Poe Dameron - as he was scheduled to be killed off in TFA, and was simply a 'flyboy pilot', and nothing else. And finally, critics and fans were ridiculing Snoke as a pale version of Palpatine, and was getting more ridicule than awe.
    So, he reimagines Poe, has Snoke killed off and replaced with Kylo Ren, tried to make Kylo sympathetic because of who his parents were, and also tried something different with Rey - making her a 'nobody' rather than someone with an illustrious background - for me that was actually why I liked her, she wasn't a Princess, or the descendant of a legendary hero, just a scavenger abandoned on a backwater world. And people proceeded to crucify him online for it.

Looking back, people complained that Disney did not try to please the fans - but I wonder if the mistake was because they were trying to please the fans? Too much.

24. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Johnson wasn’t trying to please fans on most of his decisions; beyond simply having different opinions about what worked and what didn’t, he also simply didn’t try to tell a story that would make people like the characters he was reworking.

He gets guff because his priorities weren’t good for a three film storyline, and for his imagination being applied sparingly in bad ways.
    This is the one part of the story I have some respect for, but Johnson didn’t keep his eye on the ball for the larger ST outside of Luke’s appearance, and thus why his Luke is mostly just an excercise in pretentious wastefulness.

If his goal had been to please fans, than we’d probably have seen something either very Yoda like and he’d train Rey, or we’d have seen something like The Mandalorian. And to be blunt… either one of those types of ideas could still have been mixed with a pretty good amount of his “Broken Luke” idea mixed in.
    The bolded part feels to me like the explicit damning contradiction in his approach here, and why it would screw over Rey and defeat the entire purpose of making her a “nobody.”

A prejudice for someone is just as bad as a prejudice against someone.

Rey Nobody is still screwed and a bias toward Ben Solo is still enforced regardless of whatever it was. It’s why ultimately Rey should have been a Skywalker or Solo if someone wanted Ben’s parentage to matter to his fate and reception by the audience, and if they didn’t want her to be a Solo or Skywalker, than Kylo was pretty much doomed to die.

As for the other things… Poe wasn’t a “flyboy pilot” the way Johnson chose to interpret him, so getting his dander up at Isaac being charismatic and deciding he needed to ridicule the entire idea just feels like a bitter “Stop having fun, guys!” type of response…

…And just killing off Snoke is a lazy and a stupid way to react to the character. Especially if you don’t like him being a repeat of Palpatine. That’s when you should use some imagination and awareness in writing the character. Hell, even if you want to poke fun at him being such a copy; more than a few TLJ critics were fully on board with this being a “Wizard of Oz” situation - but that was because we thought there would be competent storytelling fleshing out why this character still managed to doom so much of ROTJ’s happy ending.

Johnson had no love for the new heroes, no understanding of what the potential of the story was, and no care for how it should fit into either the ST or the Saga as a whole.

25. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Why does pleasing fans have to be a negative? I mean there are degrees of fan service. If done with skill and tactfully it works. Johnson (and JJ to a lesser degree) deliberately subverted everything just trying to be clever. He went completely in the other direction. Look at Mando and RO, it isn't that hard to get a general idea of what most fans want out of SW.