main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rian Johnson (Director Of TLJ) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

1. Gerak

Gerak Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 23, 2019
    Oh? Are you the elected representative of Reylo shippers? Or just the designated damage controller of all things TLJ? You go back and forth between those duties it’s impossible to tell which. My sincerest of apologies, I had no idea you speak for an entire fandom, let alone anyone greater than yourself.

As toxic as Reylo is there any many shippers who acknowledge how poorly handled Reylo was handled, and how a bad narrative damages even a beloved ship.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  2. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    I’ll tell you if you tell me which sock account you are of a former account.

Ben-Solo likes this.
  3. Gerak

Gerak Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 23, 2019
    A TLJ and Reylo megafan resorting to snide insults and berating when confronted with differing or critical opinions? My this is surprising. Consider my expectations subverted.

DominusNovus likes this.
  4. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    I’m a ReyBen megafan. Big difference. You reminded me of one of two terrific posters who used to post here who haven’t been back for some time. From my perspective we were having more of a message board version of this:
    [​IMG]
    Was hoping it was one of you. It was a complement. Not an insult. My expectations have been subverted through this and because my theory was incorrect I have salty Reddit location to visit.

Gerak likes this.
  5. Gerak

Gerak Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 23, 2019
    Some people believe a person's greatness is measured by how many rivals they have. I'm not sure if that's more applicable to you or me.
    Also, regarding your picture, am I to believe I am the one who will be betrayed and eventually murdered by my future bloodline and are you the aging boomer who couldn't protect his daughter, or did I have that reversed? In any event I'm jealous of any consoomer who can appreciate all of the wonderful movies Hollywood keeps pushing now. I wish I had the standards necessary to enjoy almost any product and always lean towards loving it. You've earned my envy, and for that well done. I'm happy for your optimism lol.

If you're looking for videos, I'd suggest Mauler. Dude's fantastic.

Also this, if you have the time:

Long vid tho

6. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    I’m pretty sure the Lando daughter thing was only in the leaks. Not the film.

I dislike many big Hollywood offerings but even more of youtube.

7. Gerak

Gerak Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 23, 2019
    True. I'll be interested to see how many of the leaks make it into the extended cut or "extras" section of the movie once it hits the DVDs/online market.

Vicarious Fan likes this.
  8. Vicarious Fan

Vicarious Fan Jedi Master star 3

Jul 1, 2013
    .... yeah.... almost like he's abusive and making it a relationship in TROS is a bad idea.....

In TLJ he was manupliating her... you know... to get her to join him.... like he wanted to at the end of TFA where he says join me I can show you the way So yeah... there is precedence for Reylo with out the torture or violance. He wants her to be his equal.

Rian had the hard task of finding a way to humanize Kylo something that was always going to happen but JJ couldn't be bothered to set up in TFA. So Rain showed that from Kylo's POV it was Luke was the villain.

9. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    If Luke was the villain for contemplating on killing Ben Solo, the latter was the villain for his response, instead of informing his parents on what happened. And Rey should have realized this. She is intelligent enough to do so. And if the excuse is that Snoke or Palpatine was controlling him, then this makes me wonder if Johnson, Abrams or Lucasfilm were willing to allow Ben to be responsible for his own actions. And that is poor characterization to me.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  10. fugacity

fugacity Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 7, 2018
    Both can be right and wrong to different measures.

Trying to see this as either Luke did nothing wrong, or Luke was a villain is pointless. Choosing a side and then calling your conclusion poor characterization is just oversimplification.

Luke was wrong, Ben was wrong. Rey realized both. She still thought that there was more to Ben then needing an immediate execution - he's powerful in the force, he was a Jedi and could turn back to be of value to the cause. Like it or not she got to know him to the point of having a vision of his future. They are connected (even though the TROS explanation is wanting), and she sees what you may not. It's ok for the audience to not know what she sees and still accept that she sees more and, at least to her, it makes sense.

11. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    And she came to all of this within days after the events of "The Force Awakens"? That's one of my major problems with this scenario. The events of "The Last Jedi" happened within two to three days after the first film. This is one major reason why the story arcs for the movie do not work for me.

12. moonjump05

moonjump05 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 14, 2013
    Achtoo in TLJ works like Dagobah in ESB does, time seems to run differently there. At least enough for Force related epiphanies. Ask Luke.

13. someoneinpassing

someoneinpassing Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2019
    Watching Rian's and JJ's back and forth between the three films felt like reading those "Choose Your Own Adventure" books from my childhood. :)

Doompup likes this.
  14. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    This is a great video. I’m like 20 minutes in but already it’s preaching to the choir to me. It is nice to see it being acknowledged in an essay format with structure. I will forever remember the irony that critics of this trilogy were deemed racist and sexist.

15. littlepadawan91

littlepadawan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    Rian. Oh, Rian.

Though I disagree with a lot of his choices in TLJ, he has my respect. He had a vision, which is more than I can say about JJ, who doesn't have an inch of creativity in his body.

Back in December 2017 I never thought I'd end up saying this, but TLJ is my favorite of the ST. TFA is solid and enjoyable, but it's a soft reboot of ANH with one or two original ideas. TROS is a complete mess, with a handful of great moments.

Jedi Knight Fett, Doompup and JeanNo like this.
  16. Vicarious Fan

Jul 1, 2013
    time doesn't run different on Dagobah Luke is only there for about 2 days just like Rey is only on Achtoo for 2 days. Luke's training consisted of how not to fall to the dark side and how to concentrate and listen to the force that's it.

DominusNovus likes this.
  17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't think that's canon. I was under the impression that both in Legends and Newcanon, a few weeks were spent on Dagobah.

Darth Damo likes this.
  18. Darth Damo

Darth Damo Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 18, 1999
    Hmmm.. I was under the impression that Luke was away for about 3 months. I honestly can't remember where I read that.. Probably on here somewhere.. But I definitely remember reading it..

19. Darth Damo

Darth Damo Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 18, 1999
    Definitely an extended period of time.. I agree

Iron_lord likes this.
  20. Vicarious Fan

Jul 1, 2013
    nope unless you want to believe that Han and Leia stayed on the Falcon for months with out chaning their clothes or taking a bath. Nothing in Legends or Canon ever suggests that Luke is on Degobah for anymore then a day or so. Remember Luke leaves Dagobah as soon as he has the vision which is right as they arrive at Cloud City.

nope that's not even hinted at in the novelization

21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Han would have a shower and a wardrobe, for showering and change on long trips. And we see the shower and wardrobe on the Falcon in Solo when Lando had it.

Several Legends sources say Luke's training lasted weeks, not days.

Darth Damo likes this.
  22. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    The biggest problem with that is Luke's clothing doesn't really change. Neither does Han and Lea's for that matter until they get to Bespin. Which made me think not that much time past.

And yeah in hindsight setting TLJ so soon after TFA, which I was intrigued by at forest, made a huge mess of things. What Rian wanted to do, assuming it could have worked at all, needed to have a far bigger time jump to set it up.

TOASTEROVEN and Vicarious Fan like this.
  23. Vicarious Fan

Jul 1, 2013
    yes Han has clothes on the Falcon we know this because Lando puts them on at the end of Empire. But Han doesn't change. Hell Leia doesn't even put her hair down. There isn't a woman in the world would leave her hair up like that for weeks. There is nothing in the characters to indicate any prolonged change in time.

Remember the time between the start of Empire and the end of ROTJ is 1 year and the bulk of that happens in between Empire and Jedi

24. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    She probably washes it every few days, and puts it back in the same practical, out-of-the-way hairstyle.

Same principle applies to changing clothes. Makes sense that shortly before arriving at Bespin, they'd be wearing reasonably recently washed clothes - but they don't have to be wearing different clothes.

25. Vicarious Fan

Jul 1, 2013
    well she does a bad job washing it as it has the exact same dirt stains as before. Same with the dirt on her face and no that hairstyle is not piratical. The braids in no way are practical or easy to do.

You want it to be true that Luke spent a long time training with Yoda but the truth is he wasn't. It isn't important to the story that he trained for months. Hell even if he did in no way would that equal the training that any of the Jedi had. They trained since they where kids.