main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rian Johnson (Director Of TLJ) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

1. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I think JJ was probably trying to setup a moment where they could redo "I, am your father," and Rian just didn't like it, thought that would be too unoriginal or corny, and refused to do anything that would move in that direction.

2. alwayslurking

alwayslurking Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 21, 2019
    To me, the most predictable path after TFA based on post-TFA speculation (focusing mainly on Rey and Kylo here):
    - Rey Skywalker
    - Rey deals with abandonment issues; anger against Luke
    - Rey comes around; Luke trains Rey and eventually dies a heroic or sacrificial death
    - Rey conflicted about Kylo because he's family
    - Kylo redeemed
    - "Portals" style moment where everyone from Anakin to Rey/Ben defeats the big bad
    - Rey Skywalker starts the Jedi order; Ben Solo goes on to live out his life atoning

Predictable, a bit of a rehash, and a little vanilla? Sure. Would the franchise be in a 100% healthier position if they had gone this direction? Yep, I absolutely believe it would.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  3. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    In the re-do for TLJ I posted the reveal essentially happens fairly early on. Though God, if He wills, just blessed me with the idea that it could happen further in:

Like at the end of the first act, to have more of a build up, with the how. End of 2nd act could reveal the why she was on jakku. 3rd act could be the conclusion of the story of the movie.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    devilinthedetails likes this.
  4. Darth Droid

Darth Droid Jedi Master star 2

Jul 4, 2013
    I totally agree with this. Ending the movie with Rey saying "Father" and Luke starting to cry or vice versa, not only would have INSTANTLY made every person in the world want to see the movie again (to see all the hints and such), but would have still left you with so much to theorize about for the next movie. Arghhh. What could have been.

5. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    I posted this in another thread but catching up here its probably more appropriate.

RJ especially didn't understand this or want to. His TLJ was a very post modern take that doesn't work and is a horrible counter to the type of work JJ does.

KK and co also obviously didn't understand this either or they wouldn’t have co-signed it.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  6. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    TLJ is KK's Holiday Special. She was too busy counting TFA money to read the script.

7. Obironsolo

Obironsolo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    Great post. Really haven't seen it put any better.

IMO, Star Wars has always been socially liberal but spiritually conservative. Like the honorable goal is a progressive society that exists in a spiritual world.

8. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I donkt think it’s so much Johnson having a post-modern take on Star Wars that hurt it; I think someone can totally do that and make it work in the franchise.

I think it’s that his fandom for Star Wars is completely abstract and removed from an investment in the characters and much more in the film theory behind it.

Like...

TLJ’s story probably had to be written with a mindset that would view ANH like this: “Man, Luke, Han, and Leia are such good characters, and the story is so good, with a real human heart to it, and that finale against the Death Star is a great bit of storytelling, and the Force is this fascinating mythological element!”

But Johnson’s view of ANH is likely more like this: “Man, I love the filmmaking behind this thing! The way it uses archetypes, the way it plays out along the Hero’s Journey, the homages to old films like The Dam Busters, with this vague, undefined trippy Force stuff added in as extra!”

The ST needed to have someone who liked the human and drama elements, and who had a respect for the previous material as a story and for the audience. Lucas was deeply involved in the emotional arcs fo his characters, in the dramatic payoff for the audience in the long run, and while he made the film for kids, he respected the capacity for mature viewing in children. Johnson was only tangentially interest in the emotional arcs of his characters, had a flippantly uninterested view in long term payoff, and while he was trying to “elevate” and “mature” the franchise, was still talking down to most of his audience.

They needed to treat the ST as an intrinsically connecting and rewarding addition to the Lucas films as a deep Space Opera, but Johnson couldn’t do that because he didn’t see a Space Opera, but a shallow blockbuster instead.

9. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    I love this board's obsession with attributing imaginary words to Rian in order to support their arguments.

bstnsx704 and Oissan like this.
  10. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Some good conversation going on here. I think this conversation shows just how varied what people love about Star Wars can be.

Personally, for me, the clever and compelling twists on archetypes in the OT and the PT as well as the classic hero's journey Luke goes on in the OT and the tragic hero's journey that defines Anakin's arc in the PT is a large part of why I love Star Wars. However, I don't think of those parts as being separate from the emotional drama of the characters, because I feel the characters are fleshed out as individuals so that they become more than just archetypes, but at the same time, the archetypes allow Star Wars to function on a very mythical level. Archetypes can be deeply meaningful and satisfying from a storytelling and audience perspective, or else we probably wouldn't see so much overlap in archetypes across cultures and spanning from ancient times through to the modern era. At the same time, because we have seen these archetypal characters before in many stories, it is important to find a way to bring something fresh to the characters that makes them flesh and blood. Also, since many archetypes go back to ancient times, it is important to think about how those archetypes can be updated to avoid harmful stereotypes (sexist and racist tropes and characterization spring to mind here) and to feel timeless rather than dated.

Part of the appeal of the OT and PT for me is that while each of those trilogies had elements that reflected the Earth eras in which they were created, there was still that timeless sense of myth about them, a feeling that old tales and characters were being updated for a modern age and placed in a fantastical space setting. It was epic fantasy and tragedy set in space combined with a very East Asian inspired spiritual power and philosophy of the Force.

So, I'd be reluctant to say RJ was wrong to be inspired by the archetypes or the hero's journey of Star Wars since those aspects of Star Wars are also part of its appeal to me. More that RJ made mistakes with his execution of those elements at least from my point of view. For instance, in TLJ, he seemed to think it was his job to continue Luke's journey as a hero rather than to further develop Rey's journey as a heroine, and that meant that Luke got a lot more focus and development as a character at the expense of Rey, the purported protagonist of the ST in general and TLJ in particular. Also, sometimes his characters felt too stereotyped and as if they existed to preach at the audience rather than as flesh and blood characters with drama and emotions that I could get wrapped up in as an audience member. In that way, I'd say it was more an execution issue for me than a fundamental difference in what is appealing about Star Wars philosophy.

Likewise, I did find that RJ had some interesting ideas and imagery about the Force that did seem compatible with East Asian spirituality that I would have enjoyed seeing explored further even if those bits were offset by Luke's rants against the Jedi that made me roll my eyes every time. The Prime Jedi symbol resembles a yin-yang one, for example, and I do think that has fascinating implications for the relationship between the light and the dark side of the Force that would have been cool to explore in more depth. Similarly, I like how Rey describes the light and dark elements as well as the balance between those elements when Luke is guiding her through her first meditation and reaching out into the Force in that spiritual way. That felt genuinely spiritual and meaningful to me. So, more of that and less rants about the Jedi and determination to deconstruct rather than rebuild the Jedi would have improved TLJ in my opinion.

One of the big misses with TLJ's tone and the overall tone of the ST for me was that it did take a sort of post-modern, meta approach to Star Wars. TLJ felt like a Star Wars movie commenting on and critiquing other Star Wars films in a way that for me broke the fourth wall. Luke's rants about the Jedi and Rey's knowledge of the events of ROTJ as if she had watched a DVD copy are examples that spring to mind. Star Wars to me had never been meta in that fashion, and I didn't enjoy it suddenly becoming super meta. I also think that the fact the ST is so meta can diminish its appeal to new fans as it presupposes the viewer will have a fairly strong familiarity with previous Star Wars films and will be interested in listening to the characters provide (sometimes distorted) meta commentary on them. That kind of meta commentary and critique can appeal to film critics as super deep and artsy but for many general audience members may prove ineffectual or cringe-inducing.

(On a somewhat tangential note, this is part of why I say that I don't really know who the target audience of the ST in general and TLJ in particular was supposed to be. For the fan of the PT, much of Luke's rants against the Jedi will feel like an unneeded slap in the face and a distortion of the Jedi we saw in the PT. For the fan of the OT, there is deconstruction of Luke and the portrayal of him as essentially a grumpy, disillusioned failure. And for fans of the new characters such as Finn,Poe, and Rey, there is little time that they spend together developing their relationships and Rey herself gets overshadowed by Luke and Kylo.So to whom was this film meant to appeal? Not the OT generation. Not the PT generation. Not even fans of the new ST. A rare and mystifying misfire by Disney in my opinion.)

I suppose for me the bottom line is this: What was RJ's great sin in TLJ from my point of view? Not getting too mythical, but getting to meta. Not being fascinated by the hero's journey of Star Wars but forgetting who the protagonist of his film and the ST in general was supposed to be. Breaking the fourth wall and losing track of where his focus should have been from a character perspective. At least that is my take on the issue.

dinnertime, 2Cleva, Chémus and 12 others like this.
  11. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Y'know that phrase "Miss the forest for the trees"?

I feel like TLJ is a case of "missing the trees for the forest".

It's an approach that I think *could* work for new characters and a new conflict - Star Wars *can*, to me, survive meta-commentary and post-modern sensibilities. But if you don't know who and what Luke, Rey, Finn, Kylo, The Resistance, and the First Order are or should be... then they're not going to survive such treatment.

wobbits, ChildOfWinds, 2Cleva and 5 others like this.
  12. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    And then not only would Luke be the guy that let his friend Han die and let the First Order steamroll the Republic/Resistance, but he'd also be the guy that abandoned his daughter on Jakku

Luke being "cut off from the Force" in TLJ after the trauma of Kylo's betrayal is the only thing that makes sense of Luke not helping in TFA. And whether you like it or not, it was TFA and Abrams that pigeonholed Luke into that corner.

13. mtt02263

mtt02263 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 29, 2020
    I always thought that it would make sense for Luke to be doing something on the island and not running to save his friends because of the lesson he learned from Dagobah/Bespin, that running to his friends can sometimes make things worse. Perhaps Rey could have then shown him how bad things have gotten and brought him back after he realizes that he can't simply forgo personal action and wait for the Force to guide him entirely.

14. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Or alternatively, he didn't know he had a daughter.

Or he thought she was dead due to a great trauma his family suffered, and her awakening was the only clue he got she was still alive.

Or he'd been cut off from the Force by something, and when he searched for her, he couldn't find her.

Honestly, anything involving losing a wife or a daughter would have made more sense for shell-shocking Luke than him feeling guilty at "betraying" someone he then thinks immediately murdered his other students.

And maybe he'd been investigating the Force to try and figure out how to defeat Kylo without killing the willfully evil snot, or he'd suspected how Snoke got ahold of Ben and was searching for a way to break the hold, or any one of a hundred different options that don't require the film insisting Luke is selfish coward because it's too lazy and apathetic to come up with a better answer to TFA's intriguing mysteries.

The film that insists on having Rey and Kylo forced into a weird "Force Skype" situation and is convinced Rey will be attracted to her violator when he agrees he's a monster, can't understand Finn's character arc in TFA on even a basic level, and can't even maintain consistency in what makes the main chase of the film dramatic, doesn't get to complain about being boxed in.

And arguably the greatest problem of the ST is believing the story must revolve around Kylo; he's not the main character, and he's not even the male lead until TLJ plugged its ears and and whined about him being viewed as a shallow monster... because that's what he was, and it didn't feel the need to expand him into anything else.

15. alwayslurking

alwayslurking Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 21, 2019
    Big yes to the last two posts. Plus, RJ explicitly does not use Luke being cut off from the force as justification for why Luke doesn't help. If that were the case, Luke would have rushed to their aid as soon as he realized there was trouble. Quite simply, TLJ's Luke just didn't want to help, irregardless of knowledge that harm is being done to his loved ones and the galaxy at large. The excuse that he was boxed into this corner by TFA just doesn't hold up.

16. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    I think the main issue with what RJ did with Luke was that RJ wrote Luke as Luke. But this trilogy was supposed to be using Luke as Yoda. Yoda didn't get an arc in TESB, so why should Luke get one in TLJ. The more I talk about TLJ, the more it becomes apparent that RJ either didn't understand the type of story he was supposed to be telling, or he just didn't care because Luke being the protagonist for another film would subvert expectations.

We have discussed a number of alternative options that fit in just fine with the information we're given in TFA. So no, just no.

17. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    KK to RJ , I don't care what's in the script I trust you - it doesn't matter what you do cause the suckers will still lap it up after TFA and RO did so well , we are riding high RJ just do whatever you like......

18. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    And I have to say, I applaud a filmmaker being given free reign in a big Hollywood environment on a mega blockbuster sequel like this. That kind of thing very rarely happens, so it is nice to see a movie on this scale that is actually written and directed by one person with a vision of their own.

Even if I absolutely hate a movie (I don't hate TLJ at all, but I do have quite a few problems with it, some pretty significant), I always prefer to see a person get to make the movie they actually want to make, rather than something that feels manufactured on an assembly line to cater to the audience. TLJ took some big swings, and they didn't all land, but I'd rather it take them and miss some of them than not take any at all.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  19. reyvision

reyvision Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2017
    Excellent overall post, but yes especially on TLJ being too meta. Back when I was talking about Rey and her telling "the audience" her parents were nobodies and Kylo telling her she has no place in this story... waaaay too meta. Rey and Kylo Ren as characters should never have said those lines.

Yup. TLJ already ruined Luke by having him apparently lurk into his nephews room and then run away afterwards, and once he learned Leia was searching for him and Han had been murdered, he still chose to sulk and stay away until Yoda knocked sense into him. Giving Luke a daughter who he thought lost, or dead, could not have ruined Luke anymore than TLJ already did, for me.

20. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I’m not that cynical about it.

I think KK thought more like “This kid’s good! Brick, Looper, Brothers Bloom... this guy has the stuff! I’m not a story person *myself*, but surely he can deliver the kind of quality I expect, and his film sounds like all the thing’s I expect as a person in Hollywood to work!”

I really don’t think there was any thought to “suckers” in her mind... but I *do* think there’s a very good chance the “artisté” nature of Johnson’s script made KK and others think there was more quality in the script than there actually was. In the same way you should never underestimate the power of corporate interests seeking popular mainstream blockbusters, never underestimate an echo chamber about “real art” overriding actual critical analysis elsewhere.
    My objection to that would be the “let the man work!” philosophy applies to *singular* works... but probably shouldn’t to collaborative work.

In the case of collaborative work, there actually is something like an assembly line explicitly at work; you are not only sharing the “toys”, but a common plot structure with distinct responsibilities.

It’s a teamwork thing compared to a solo action. You’re playing (American) football, not Golf, and you can’t be a diva doing your own thing.

21. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Nobody at Lucasfilm saw what Johnson was doing as being uncollaborative or being a "diva." He had to get approval every step of the way. And the next film, when Trevorrow was in charge, was actually being built as an actual sequel to his and taking his film into account just the way that his film took TFA into account.

The only time someone went off to do their own thing here was Abrams, after Trevorrow was let go, when he came in to "apologize" to the audience and "salvage" the trilogy after Johnson "ruined" it. Johnson's film, like it or not, built on ideas from TFA. Lots of people didn't like how he did it and that's fine, but it still built on the ideas and felt like a sequel to the movie that preceded it. TRoS was completely reductive, going out of its way to actually backpaddle on almost every concept and character arc established in TLJ (and quite a few from TFA too), causing harm not just to the arc of the sequel trilogy and TLJ, but to that of the saga as a whole. Take the last minute decision to resurrect Palpatine, for starters, which most certainly was not part of any "grand plan" like some people claim it to be. Now that came across as a diva move, like he was flipping the over because he didn't like how the toys were left on it in TLJ, so he decided to just introduce his big new toy instead.

If there was a grand plan that Johnson was diverting from, Lucasfilm would have been very quick to either whip him into shape of fire him. They've done it plenty of time so far. They forced Abrams to release TFA by 2015 when he wanted until 2016. Gareth Edwards was replaced for reshoots on RO. Lord and Miller were fired from Solo. Trevorrow was fired from Episode IX. Josh Trank was fired and his movie was flat out canceled. Plus whatever happened with the GOT guys' movies.

TLJ is literally the only movie out of the entire Disney era of Star Wars that Lucasfilm didn't feel the need to interfere with to "fix" while it was being made.

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  22. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    And in my opinion, TLJ was the film in GREATEST need of being fixed.

23. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    “Diva” was probably the wrong word... but Johnson is comparable to an over-confident teammate who makes a selfish play, not because they’re a bad person, but because they make a bad decision... and the team, not just him, suffered for it.

Sometimes the quarterback has to know when to hand the ball of and when to pull it. Normally, the coach makes the call that actually tells them what they should do. Sometimes he doesn’t, and you have to hope your quarterback understand his obligations and has enough situational awareness to trust the player best suited for the job, and give it to the fullback behind your offensive line...

...But instead, Johnson, partially because he didn’t have a good coach, kept the ball and tried to outrun a quick 265 lbs linebacker. And that stuck the ST at 4th and long instead fo getting the easy first down.

The story was bigger than Johnson’s film, and while LFL does deserve a great deal of blame for the lack of alignment, consistency, and momentum, Johnson could have rewarded his fellow teammates with the selfless and aware play, and he didn’t.

Because here’s the thing:
    All the most major changes between TLJ and TROS were already occurring and locked into the story before TLJ was released. Abrams wasn’t trying to “apologize” to the audience; he was coming into try and find an answer to changes LFL was demanding when they got into Episode 9’s pre-production and started realizing some of the conundrums of having only one new Skywalker in the 9-film family story they wanted to wrap up, but he was set-up to be the main villain, even though Johnson had tried to reroute the entire trilogy around him.

That's ultimately why Palpatine came back; LFL wanted to follow up Johnson on one point (Kylo as the male lead) but realized it would be detrimental to the longer story to have Kylo be the main villain.

...Now, I would argue that Abrams trying to “salvage” the story is a valid assessment...

But that’s because the story needed salvaging, because:

- TLJ forgot who the ST’s main character was supposed to be, as it gave Luke the main character arc and dramatic meat of the story, and stripped away Rey’ character and significance to give to Kylo.

- TLJ screwed up and regressed most of the new characters, and failed to use Luke to propel the ST’s story forward.

- And TLJ also left the ST in a place where, fundamentally, a rewarding finale for the ST *and* for the Skywalker story before it was out of reach.

Those are the kind of things an entry into a collaborative story can’t do. And those are the things Johnson did with his vaunted freedom of creative control.

wobbits, ChildOfWinds, 2Cleva and 3 others like this.
  24. reyvision

reyvision Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2017
    Even John Boyega's interview this summer hints that it should have been fixed and everything about TROS (that LFL would have also approved on) was done to fix Star Wars. TLJ wasn't "fixed" while being made, but LFL tried to fix it afterwards. They failed, imo, but it points to a bigger problem.

"He is on a breathless roll now, breaking his long corporate omerta to touch on the unthinking, systemic mistreatment of black characters in blockbusters (“They’re always scared. They’re always fricking sweating”) and what he sees as the relative salvage job that returnee director JJ Abrams performed on The Rise Of Skywalker (“Everybody needs to leave my boy alone. He wasn’t even supposed to come back and try to save your ****”).

Maybe next time instead of letting directors do whatever they want, someone should actually plan the entire trilogy out. Having actual arcs for your characters with end goals in sight is storytelling 101.

25. Jedi_Fenrir767

Jedi_Fenrir767 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 16, 2013
    Normally I would to however part VIII of IX is an absolutely terrible place to have that happen especially of your director says yeah i don’t care for all of the hooks and setups from VII at that point it’s time to give them another project. I am all about filmmakers making their own films but their needs to be some serious over site in terms of storytelling when it comes to films that are telling part of a story. Letting people do whatever they want leads to the mess we have with the ST.

And as everyone has mentioned here yes LFL shares a ton of the blame foe them not having a general plan at all and that has been documented and is on record. There were also reports of things like Luke dying being decided late on the game and messing up Trevarrow’s story and him having to rework it multiple times. Not sure how true those are and in any case i found them years ago. Before TFA ever started shouting The three directors should have omitted out together the overall arc of the story as well as the characters histories and backgrounds. As it stands the ST is one of the biggest failures of collaborative storytelling ever filmed. Heck LFL managed it like it was an improv skit with random hand offs practically.