main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rian Johnson (Director Of TLJ) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

1. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Yeah, haha. Jesus Christ. [face_laugh]

Ridiculous statement.

2. Darth Damo

Darth Damo Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 18, 1999
    Great post!

godisawesome likes this.
  3. Darth Damo

Darth Damo Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 18, 1999
    She's a rebel.. But she's not a Skywalker..

4. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I’d argue the biggest reason why that viewpoint has more staying power than LFL would want is because Rian Johnson was moving as hard as possible against that idea in TLJ, whether you like the idea or not.

I mean, Johnson wasn’t just denying and mocking the idea of Rey being Luke’s daughter, or Kylo’s lost sister, he was deliberately averting the expected apprenticeship and metaphorically paternal relationship people expected at minimum between Luke and Rey.

Johnson was sending the franchise in one direction, and TROS wanted it to go another.

(I’d argue Johnson did something similar to TFA, but that’s beside the current point.)

5. indydefense

indydefense Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    I've always said that if Abrams had a clear parentage in mind for Rey, then he should've made it clear in TFA. He wasn't supposed to be back, and he knew it. He was doing the same thing he did with Lost and Star Trek, where he kicks something off and then bails.

godisawesome likes this.
  6. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    Ren killed Han to impress Snoke and to prove to him that he was genuinely a really bad guy. When Han Solo says "anything you need" I would contend that he takes this to mean he is willing to die. He has to kill him to pass his master's test. Of course he sounds crazy talking to Han because he is. We are told by Snoke that this test caused Ren to fall apart and Snoke blames this for his loss in the lightsaber battle. No mention of the bowcaster wound, I guess, because Snoke doesn't want excuses.

Interestingly, it is after he DOESN'T kill Leia that Snoke says "Where there was conflict I now sense resolve." Both Kylo and Snoke assume Leia is dead (in my reading) but Snoke may not yet know that it wasn't Kylo who killed her.

7. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Most here probably remember the quotes from JJ about not wanting to have too many character reveals in the first movie. But that's the problem; JJ could only think of character heritage in terms of surprise and reveal, and not simply as introducing family members as main characters.

For him, Ben Solo as Kylo Ren must be a mystery for some period and then surprise! And then the same for Rey, or for Jannah. Why can't we just have a banal introduction to character: ah yes, we've found Palpatine's granddaughter; she's on Jakku. Just introduce the plot for goodness sakes, not everything needs to be mysterious.

8. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Especially since the questions he left unanswered always had massive consequences for where the story was going, and had far more value than just the reveal they contained.

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with having a mystery the audience can figure out or have spoiled by the end of the last movie... provided you know your answer will actually impact the story going forward.

Young Justice fans started getting mighty suspicious of a certain supporting character in Season 3: Outsiders, especially when they picked up a certain hairbrush, and the payoff wound up being worthwhile, even if the “cameras” had clearly shown something was up before then.

Darth Damo and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  9. SrWilson

SrWilson Jedi Master star 1

Feb 2, 2005
    He ruined Luke skywalker to me unforgivable IMO I not gonna bash him on his twitter though it's childish but That really made me mad they did miss a trick though If Rey had actually joined Ren after the Snoke death scene there would have been some real interest and intrigue going into part 9 had he booked that I would have given him big props for a real swerve that was actually a good one.

10. JeanNo

JeanNo Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 21, 2015
    Yesterday night, my wife and I watched Johnson's KNIVES OUT at the movies and I've got to say that I was very pleased with it: I really had a great time. The friends that came with us were delighted too so I had to tell them:

- Do you know what was Johnson's previous movie? (Drum roll) STAR WARS EPISODE VIII!
    - You mean, the one from last christmas?
    - No no no, the one from 2017.
    - I see, the backlashed one.
    - Yep, that one."

All of them were totally surprised (this is not my SW-friendly group obviously) and several of them told me they would/will surely watch THE LAST JEDI when they get the chance to. So I'll let you know soon.

Anyway, KNIVES OUT is awesome.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    BigAl6ft6 and Darth-Seldon like this.
  11. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    There's a pretty fascinating tidbit in this article that over 50% of TLJ was actually filmed digitally, per director of photography Steve Yedlin.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/2/6/21125680/film-vs-digital-debate-movies-cinematography

12. cratylus

May 9, 2001
    I think some of the conversation I see here makes an assumption that isn't necessarily warranted--namely that the directors, producers and even actors haven't kept secrets and that their accounts are simple truths rather than careful public relations. It's entirely reasonable not to take their statements at face value.

13. Tusken Slayer

Tusken Slayer Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 7, 1999
    What if Matt Reeves handled Ep 8 instead? He's close to JJ and he handled what was set up in Rise of the Planet of the Apes very well IMO when he directed the sequel to it. He fleshed out the supporting characters more. He made the 2nd act in a trilogy much darker than the first.

The ending of ROTPOTA was very CLIFFHANGER in nature. A lot was set up like a potential Ape civil war between Caesar and.. Forget the villain apes name. Matt followed up on that set up really well... even adding much more depth to the bad ape.

He also did the right thing in having a time jump a few years later. So it's more easy to buy that the characters have a close connection to each other. Also DOTPOTA set up stuff for the 3rd film well more than TLJ did for ROS.

Guarantee Reeves and JJ would have been talking to each other a lot. They grew up together talking SW. I just don't see Matt Reeves going in a totally different direction to what JJ set up.

OK this is a RJ thread. As for Rian, he told collider he wanted to kill Luke no matter what because he saw Luke getting in the way of the new characters. So going by the original plan in George's ST of Luke dying in ep 9...RJ still gets his wish of killing Luke.... But in ep 9 not 8.

14. ewoksimon

Oct 26, 2009
    Not sure why there's an assumption that Johnson dictated the death of Luke from the start or, conversely, that it was a mandate thrust upon him. Yes, it was in the script from the beginning, but it's been made clear that the arrival to that decision was discussed heavily by Johnson and many of the people at Lucasfilm in the lead up to Johnson's first draft.

15. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    Are you saying you wanted more explanation/screen time devoted to how Palpatine returned? I get that. Yet, I also think that Sith/Dark Side magic and mumbo jumbo was always going to be the reason. I mean, it is Star Wars we are talking about...

Nope. Look how much of a fit some people are throwing about Rey being an "adopted" Skywalker and not a "pure blood/true heir." She is the chosen heir to the Skywalker legacy, and for some it's somehow like "Palpatine won". Which is ridiculous...

Perhaps if Kylo would not have been Han and Leia's only child there'd be no need for his redemption, but (as has been said) this would be very bleak and cynical thematically.
    This coming from a person that was very okay with Kylo dying as an evil SOB after he killed Han Solo. Yet, TROS made me care about Ben Solo.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    Iron_lord likes this.
  16. ThatOneGuy

ThatOneGuy Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 13, 2020
    Disagree. He still could have peaked as a villain and been redeemed at the end. It would have required a better set up in TROS though, and we didn’t get that.

The only thing I learned about Ben Solo in TROS is that a force light saber handoff was a cool concept, and maybe I would have come around if the redemption had been written well and if none of the tacitly endorsed mass murdering torture stuff had happened. But it wasn’t and it did so... yeah.

Again, Rey didn’t have to be a Palpatine. She could just as easily have been a Skywalker. [face_dunno]

I don’t mind random Rey adopting the Skywalker name, so we agree on that. :)

I do think telling conveniently wandering folks your last name on a planet that it makes no sense to visit if you stop to think about it was pretty ridiculous tho.

JeanNo likes this.
  17. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    Ah, I misunderstood you. I thought you meant he could/should not have been redeemed.

Agreed.

Well, there are a lot of moments in Star Wars that are like that, though.

ThatOneGuy likes this.
  18. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Around the time of the dvd release of Sith is when I started telling people that I believed Lucas was going to make the sequels. This was all based on the content of RotS and the way in which Palpatine was describing the force.

With JJ though it feels more like he just used the conclusion of that without having an understanding of the concept behind the idea, which is something I feel may have been central to the idea from Lucas.

19. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I loved Knives Out, and it’s kind of fascinating for me to view where I felt TLJ got wrong while trying to see what creative philosophies Rian Johnson used similarly in Knives Out. I mean, I also liked Brick, so I know that he can write excellent movies with character I love, it’s just that I find so much if TLJ critically and fatally weak in writing that I kind of blame it for the ST falling apart: there was so many good bridges burned by TLJ that certain inevitable disappointments and idiocies became central to what LFL expected out of Episode IX.

So here’s what I’ve figured out about my comparison between Knives Out and TLJ, in regards to where TLJ shares Knives Out’s strengths and where it instead has weaknesses:

+ Both are finely directed from a technical standpoint, and in terms of forming a productive rapport with the actors. This can be separated from the storytelling and characterization choices in the script in TLJ, and when you do that, it’s clear to say where Johnson excels with his actors.
    + Both show Johnson’s smart viewpoint for causing actors.
    + Both are visually engaging.

But...

- TLJ has a severe female lead problem that Knive Out doesn’t have: the similar traits and style of Marta and Rey is incorrect - Marta being a bit of a naive Ingenue who’s not yet self-actualized works for her given her background, but is a total failure when applied to the hardened survivor Rey who already actualized in TFA. The characters are too similar; it looks like Rian Johnson’s instinctive writing for a female lead is less towards an assertive action girl, and more towards a damsel who is stressed, if not in distress.
    - TLJ totally botches how to handle the main female lead and evil male lead together, where Knives Out succeeds very well. Ransom is genuinely charismatic and clever in a way where it’s easy to believe Marta’s susceptibility to his charm, and the film works with him so that he’s easy for the audience to fall for as well, and then easily despised and loathed after being revealed. In contrast, it makes exactly zero sense for Rey to be susceptible to Kylo at all, and we and she already know he’s scum... but the film tries to give him a sympathetic treatment anyway. And it still seems to think he’s sympathetic even towards the end a bit. The result is further damage to Rey’s character.
    - Knives Out manages to use its older male supporting character better than TLJ manages to use Luke. Benoit Blanc occupies a much more clearly supporting role to Marta’s story, and his involvement in the case ultimately helps her story move along and progress for her sake. Luke’s story, on the other hand, effectively overwhelms Rey’s alongside Kylo’s, especially when he replaces her in the climax to finish off his personal subplot, which was never really abot her story at all. At the same time, Benoit Blamc is an original character Johnson is handling well; Luke Skywalker is someone else’s character he has a very dubious and debateable command of.
    - Knives Out has a progressive message that gets delivered without much issue. It’s a modest progressive message, but at least it’s clear and forthright. TLJ, unintentionally, ends up being a weird mix of a film that wants to be progressive - but ends up regressive. Knives Out simply paints the Alt-Right leaning jerks as jerks and keeps its Latinx heroine the heroine. TLJ shoves all its POCs into sideplots about them failing to listen to the white woman, treated its female heroine as an idiot, and worshipped at the altar of a fascist mass murderer, and it’s progressive messages are muddled, contradicted by the story, and at times preachy - a deadly combination.
    - Finally, because Knives Out was conceived of as a stand-alone film, it’s resolution is excellent and unimpeachable... while TLJ’s kind of half hearted approach towards some continuing plot threads and closing down of others makes TLJ a bad fit for the Sequel Trilogy going forward. Marta getting the house and fortune is the happy ending to her story. Informing the audience that of course the FO will inevitably fall, and the Jedi will return, while simultaneously leaving Rey and Finn almost nowhere interesting to go? That’s a problem for the Sequel Trilogy.

In brief:

Knives out works because it’s a single film from Rian Johnson. The Last Jedi is a failure because it’s an entry in another series that Johnson has screwed up, and where he ignored facts about previous entries to his detriment.

Johnson simply didn’t do well with writing someone else’s idea of a strong female character, lost track of who his leads were supposed to be by confusing someone else’s angsty white boy as a protagonist instea dof a villain, wound up making a regressive film when compared to its progressive predecessor, and didn’t handle the series-entry aspect well at all.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    2Cleva, ThatOneGuy and nilzo antonio like this.
  20. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    Briliant =D=

21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    What the hell is a Kast Jedi?

JeanNo likes this.
  22. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    When Jodo Kast gains Force sensitivity.

(Bonus points if you alread know who that was!):p

Iron_lord likes this.
  23. cratylus

May 9, 2001
    Jodo Kast was a bounty hunter dressed like Boba Fett in a West End Games Star Wars role-playing game module. If he had an expanded universe life after that I'd like to hear about it because I doubt I will ever examine the source material.

godisawesome and Iron_lord like this.
  24. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    The legs on Knives Out are insane. Going to have yet another strong weekend.

indydefense likes this.
  25. ewoksimon

Oct 26, 2009