main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rian Johnson (Director Of TLJ) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

1. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    Good luck ;) :)

2. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Even though I wasn't TLJ's greatest fan (obviously), I do hope that some of the ideas and imagery introduced in it could be expanded on in future Star Wars content whether TV shows, books, comics (etc). It'd be interesting to learn more about the first Jedi Temple, about the Prime Jedi, and about what knowledge and lore the ancient Jedi texts contained. Also the underwater cave was pretty cool. I'd like to learn more about those sort of things. To me, the Jedi and Force lore has always been the best and most fascinating part of Star Wars. The part of the worldbuilding that drew me in the most. I didn't like all the ideas and imagery Rian introduced in TLJ, but I did like some of them. It'd be nice if the ones I did like could be built upon in the future.

3. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Really happy that this is still in the works. Johnson's photos have been some of my favorite behind the scenes material from the ST.

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I’ll definitely have that on my radar

KyleKartan and Darth_Articulate like this.
  5. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Welp, this will be an instant pre-order from me when it goes live.

KyleKartan likes this.
  6. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Natasha Lyonne To Star In Rian Johnson Mystery Series ‘Poker Face’ Picked Up By Peacock From MRC Television
    https://deadline.com/2021/03/natash...poker-face-peacock-mrc-television-1234715689/

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  7. Obironsolo

Obironsolo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    Good news for everyone, I'd say. May the show be such a massive hit that it keeps RJ busy for the next decade!

Glitterstimm and Gharlane like this.
  8. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    The Three Body Problem series is gonna be a show too?

Wow. Nice.

9. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Anything that keeps him away from Star Wars right? ;)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  10. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    The "case-of-the-week" element is what has me really excited here. I can't wait to see how this all plays out.

I guess all that Columbo he's been watching recently has been building to something after all!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    godisawesome likes this.
  11. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    I have a hard time believing that we’ll get a making of TLJ book at this point, especially with no making of TFA or TROS on the horizon. (And the making of TFA was basically done when it was canceled so of they planned on releasing after all I think we’d know.)

I’m....suspicious of what RJ supposedly said in this chat. His claim that he had no idea Kylo/Ben was going to die directly contradicts confirmed production info regarding what he would have known, for example. I get the feeling he was playing a bit to his audience, assuming the info was accurately relayed.

12. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Well, this isn't really a full on "making of" book per say, but rather, a collection of his on-set photography.

13. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Oh interesting I could see something like that being released if it’s something like a small movie photography book I have somewhere and lost....

bstnsx704 likes this.
  14. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    RJ is made for mystery and noir and dark comedies, IMO. I loved Knives Out, and really enjoyed Brick and Looper. So unless he’s planning a wholly different kind of Star Wars movie (essentially a wacky noir thriller in space), I don’t think he should make another Star Wars film. Doesn’t seem to be his strength. Unless he’s allowed to lean into his style and not try to ape Star Wars pulp.

15. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    There might be room for a noir-ish murder mystery who-dun-it in SW. But ... I don't that that would constitute a whole theatrical movie though. Not in our current climate. Maybe if Disney+ branched into doing one-shot 2 hour long SW movies or something. Like...an Anthology series, where each episode is completely different than the last and not connected by one story. But I doubt that would happen at this point either.

16. Lobot's Wig

Lobot's Wig Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 13, 2020
    Attack of the Clones had that sort of thing going on anyway with Obi-Wan Kenobi off on his own Marlowe detective story.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  17. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    That's true. EP2 did have a bit of that. But I think a whole movie set around a murder mystery - done the way RJ would probably do it - in SW would be a lil different. I just don't see that getting enough interest for theater goers. That seems like a unique sell.

And Mando is already doing a bit of mystery-detective hunting, just done in a classic fantasy-western sense, and not really noir style. I could totally see a one-off D+ 'movie' based around a detective on Coruscant solving some small mystery. But that would probably just end up looking like Blade Runner. Which is future noir and even looks like Coruscant too. So how would you do it, and not just be a BR rip off. I dunno. lol.

18. Lobot's Wig

Dec 13, 2020
    Use the McQuarrie white metropolitan type environments instead of future-noir, rain soaked neon-lit streets.
    [​IMG]

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  19. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Then you will have the wing of critics saying TLJ ripped off cloud city

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  20. Lobot's Wig

Dec 13, 2020
    Maybe. There is just something so incredibly evocative in those images for me. They are a bit 1950's but timeless, I adore them. I would love to see some future Star Wars embrace those locales. More Cloud City!

Jedi Knight Fett and bstnsx704 like this.
  21. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    I loved the ghostly marble white Coruscant concepts w grand architecture, and pyramids, and huge pavilions.

But I don’t think that sells the inherent grit of a noir murder mystery.

Def Trooper likes this.
  22. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    The thing is, Star Wars, should be able to do different things with the sandbox... and originally I was under the assumption that this is what the anthology films were going to be used for. I get that the big trilogy films will probably need the opening crawl and an orchestral score etc. but I was hoping that the anthology films (as much as I like Rogue One) would be more adventurous with the form. I could definitely see a 'whodunnit' genre SW film... I'd certainly love to see a Quentin Tarantino style The Hateful Eight or Reservoir Dogs set in a GFFA... and I sense we're seeing some of this with TV content (will Cassian be a bit more 'adult' themed?), but obviously Disney will have to be prepared for these films not to be designed to bring in huge box office, and to have a natural ceiling... but they could/should open up ways of making new content.

indydefense, bstnsx704 and mtt02263 like this.
  23. mtt02263

mtt02263 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 29, 2020
    I would absolutely love a noir set in Nar Shaddaa or the Coruscant underground. Something in the vein of LA Confidential or Chinatown would be awesome, I just don't feel like there's any truly creative thinking going on at Lucasfilm. It's just OT recycled, more clones, etc. The possibilities are absolutely limitless.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    indydefense likes this.
  24. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Coruscant we got was a lifeless artificial Art-Deco Proto-Death Star, whereas the early concepts were more like Old World, Gothic, Brutalist Utopia. (even though we got pyramid structures in the final movie)
    I hope they someday show another planet like that.

25. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    There's a serious THX 1138 vibe to those metrocops there.

bstnsx704 likes this.