main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rian Johnson (Director Of TLJ) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    But yah basically I would hope at least one of the title card actors in Last Jedi has a sizeable role in the Knives Out sequel. Driver I think is almost a certainty. I'd be awesome to see Daisy again even though she already did Murder on the Orient Express. And Hamill is great at literally any character. He'd be the best as a random weirdo or even the victim the case revolves around.

2. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I can’t wait to see a junior detective track down Daniel Craig’s gentleman sleuth, long retired by the third film, and hand him his famous magnifying glass.

FightoftheForgotten likes this.
  3. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    DISPLEASED PEOPLE: Why would Daniel Craig's character not want to continue solving cases? That doesn't seem like him.

FANS OF THE LAST KNIFE: Because of what happened the last time.

DISPLEASED PEOPLE: Yeah, but I don't think his character would have tried to kill that guy in cold blood in the first place.

FANS OF THE LAST KNIFE: His character changed off screen! Accept it!

4. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Probably none of the movies will be called “The Last Knife” but “The Last Gentlemen Sleuth” - that could be real. In the first movie Benoit Blanc is referred to as the last of the gentlemen sleuths.

5. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I just came across this interview. The disdain coming from Mark is so heavy. It really says it all.

6. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Maybe Hamill will be the big bad of the KO universe. The puppet master that we finally meet in the last movie, who's been laying traps for Craig all along. .

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  7. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Or they like toroast each other, i see no disdain from Mark, healways congrats RJ when it comes to someting like Knives Out.

8. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    Harrison Ford pokes at people just because that's who Harrison Ford is as a person. Mark Hamill only seems to poke at people when he secretly hates them.

9. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Then when he praises them soon after then what is that?

10. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    Have you never been in a social setting where it's expected for you to be civil around someone you don't like?

11. Def Trooper

Def Trooper Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2019
    Another gem from the interview lady...

Now what's all that about RJ taking Star Wars in a new direction? I also love how in the comments, people are patting Rian on the back for having Luke snap out of his funk, when Rian was the one who wrote him in that deep of a funk in the first place. Nothing about "new direction" stuff, now it's "Wow, Rian really understands Star Wars!"

Also this:
    This whole thread is ridiculous. And when he talks about a "disconnect between versions", he's not talking about Hayden vs. Sebastian. No, he means that "Luke last saw him as Vader" and it would be confusing to audiences...? But Luke attempting to murder a family member wouldn't be? Did he finish ROTJ?

And she goes on to say this

So Luke talking to his father (the man that motivated him to become a hero in the first place and was the crux of his emotional journey in the OT) would be meaningless fan service, but bringing back cackling puppet Yoda wasn't? Why is every decision RJ makes automatically the best one?

I check back every so often to see if this lady is still at it, and I'm always shocked she still is, but this time the posts had my blood boiling. Even when given evidence that RJ had literally no plans for these characters beyond his movie, or how he had no deeper purpose for his choices beyond how they played out in the moment, he's still the undisputed king of Star Wars who broke new ground.

I just throw my hands up in frustration at this point. I'm ecstatic that his new franchise has taken off, and now that he's ears-deep in other projects, he'll stay far away from SW and we can heal from TLJ deliberately smashing the fanbase into oblivion.

wobbits, Nom von Anor, 2Cleva and 6 others like this.
  12. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Or good co-workers and like each other, RJ seems to get prasied by may in the industry and i doubt Mark is keeping cool for appearances sake.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    Okay. That's not how I see this interaction.

14. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    @Def Trooper that interaction is very revealing for how RJ has managed his career: carefully cultivating a support network of social media influencer-types trying to break into mainstream entertainment media. At some point he was able to convince Hollywood circles that he's a noteworthy voice in the industry, but it's so hard to pinpoint how or when this happened. Looper was utterly pedestrian, there was no "splash" there, and yet it's clear that Kennedy brought him onboard because she thought he would make a splash. It was so weird how film critics were all ready to celebrate his faux-contrarianism as though it were a calling card even though none of his works before TLJ supported that.

He accomplished something very strange on social media between 2012 and 2017, the fact that he's still constantly engaging with Twitter discourse is so weird, but might explain it all.

15. Def Trooper

Apr 6, 2019
    This has confused me for years as well. People in the past have brought up him being a pretty well-connected dude in the industry, but I'm not sure how much influence any of that would've had on his career. It gets to me at times though, stuff like his wife being a film critic and thus him being cool with all her critic friends, or a story about him supposedly having sold a run-of-the-mill poem to Disney for an obscene amount of money right out of film school years ago.

16. indydefense

indydefense Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    Abrams changed the character, not Johnson. There was no possible way to explain the mess that Abrams made without changing the character from the one we knew and loved in the OT. The Luke of the OT would not allow what was essentially a new Empire to rise up and destroy the New Republic, killing billions of people, including his best friend Han.

Prior to TLJ, I wasn't sure exactly what was going to happen, but my gut told me that it wasn't going to be pretty. I knew that if Luke didn't show up to stop Starkiller Base, then the arrival of some girl with his long-lost lightsaber wasn't gonna make much of a difference. So when I saw TLJ opening night and Luke tossed the lightsaber over his shoulder, I literally did a combination of laughing out loud and cheering. It made perfect sense - not within the context of the OT, but within the context of the nonsense known as TFA.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
  17. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    You cheered; I cringed.

wobbits, Nom von Anor, 2Cleva and 5 others like this.
  18. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    He could have easily been hiding on that island with a new generation of students, away from the prying eyes of the galaxy. His whole conundrum in VIII could have been whether to race to the fight with untrained students, or wait to train them fully while also running the risk of the FO becoming too powerful to stop.

When people say RJ had no choice they are simply wrong.

19. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    Yeah, Luke could have been marooned, or held captive, or any number of obstacles that kept him on Ach-to. The depressed hermit angle was never necessitated by the events of TFA.

20. indydefense

Jan 2, 2019
    The opening crawl of TFA makes it clear that his disappearance is what caused the First Order to rise. The Luke we know wouldn't sit back and allow something like the Empire to rise again, let alone billions to be killed by something like Starkiller Base. At moment's notice, Luke would hop in his X-wing and go kick some ass.

If he was marooned or held captive, Leia would've known, because she had a force connection with him. The fact of the matter is that Luke was supposed to be actively involved in Episode 7. That was Lucas's vision: The galaxy would be at peace, but after word got out that Darth Maul had consolidated power in the underworld, Kira would find her way to Luke to tell him his help was needed. He would've been in a bad state of mind (the depressed hermit idea originated with Lucas), but Kira would stress her need for training, so he would've came back with her and kicked ass.

When Arndt/JJ/Kasdan took Luke out of the action, they destroyed the sequel trilogy. There was no vision on their part other than to reboot the OT in their own image. Johnson was left to be the whipping boy. I absolutely love that he ripped TFA to shreds, because it deserved to be exposed for the fraud that it was.

21. Def Trooper

Apr 6, 2019
    These two thoughts seem at odds. He's distant in both the Lucas and the JJ/Kasdan versions, but he could've still trained Kira/Rey and come back in both. It was Johnson that totally denied us those things, and according to him, it was his decision alone. Luke attacking Kylo also came straight from Rian's dome as far as we've been told.

IMO JJ trashed Lucas's idea of an underworld/remnant army in favor of Empire v Rebels 2.0, and I think he was wrong for that, but I also think he was sticking to Lucas's general outline in regards to Luke and Kira. I don't believe for a second that he did all of the setup for Rey being chosen by the saber, dreaming of Luke's island (which was the first Jedi Temple, mind you), then putting her in front of Luke, only for her to not learn anything useful from him and for him to not do anything for the whole next movie.

Johnson could've at least did that bare minimum, but he decided not to, and even opted to make it worse by treating Luke as a pseudo-antagonist for Rey and Kylo.

wobbits, Nom von Anor, 2Cleva and 8 others like this.
  22. indydefense

Jan 2, 2019
    If Luke wasn't there to stop those planets from being destroyed or Han from dying, then he ain't training nobody. This is 100% the fault of Arndt/Abrams/Kasdan for taking Luke out of the movie while also recreating ANH. Hamill even said that he pitched the idea that Luke be the one who calls the lightsaber out of the snow at the end and save the day, but JJ wouldn't go for it. If Luke doesn't show up to save the day, then you've got a big problem.

23. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    @indydefense I agree that TFA left the ST with a very rocky foundation and writing Luke would be complicated. But I don't think his force-connection with Leia meant that he had to be deliberately hiding away. The connection could be cut off for some reason, or maybe there's a "range" to it, idk. I'm not saying there was definitely a good way to resolve all the issues with TFA, but I just don't think the storyline of TLJ was necessary or justified. But I understand your disappointment with TFA, I was very disappointed with it as well.

24. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Yes JJ definitely set the table for things to go that way. But screenwriters get paid millions of dollars; and I've seen dozens of reasons for Luke to be on that island on a SW forum. But they chose to go completely in that direction; so it's no wonder lots of fans were upset.

wobbits, Nom von Anor, 2Cleva and 5 others like this.
  25. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I agree. Part of the reason why Leia still believes (and appears to be the only person to do so) that Luke is still alive pre-TFA seems to be because of that connection. She may not be able to speak with him, or find him, she it's apparent she still feels him out there.

If "the force" can explain why Leia doesn't speak to her ow son, or whatever, then "the force" is what's muting the connection between Leia and Luke here too. Ahch-to could be dulling the connection. Or maybe the Unknown Regions is out of range, as you say. Or hell, maybe Luke is in some deep meditation state doing other things than picking up Leia's force calls.

I don't think the story that RJ gave us was the only one that could have transpired due to the set ups that TFA established.