main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rian Johnson (Director Of TLJ) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

1. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
  2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Darth Sad Boi would actually have been a pretty good Star Wars villain name.

PendragonM likes this.
  3. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    anakinfan edit: language

4. paradigmes

paradigmes Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 9, 2021
    The Boiz of Sad

[​IMG]

5. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    The Knights of not-appearing-in-this-film.

6. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    They looked awesome in TFA. But I just don't find giant toy-esque melee weapons in a galaxy of laser guns and swords, threatening or logical

The guy in the front looks like he stole that thing from a pizza parlor.

End of the day, they're over-designed and under-used.

7. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    I do hate being completely right.

UKS

8. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I must have missed the moment when you were proven completely right.

9. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Nothing has been confirmed or rumored, only a guess and how many times has his movie been cancelled, lol.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
    godisawesome likes this.
  10. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Barely no one cares about a RJ directed SW movie. After TLJ, it would be silly letting him touch the franchise again.

11. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Thats just silly.

12. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Perhaps true. But there seems to be a lot of soul searching going on at Disney and LFL over the state of Star Wars fans, so I would never say never on the possibility of any director coming back into the fold in the future.

RetropME and godisawesome like this.
  13. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    By the time RJ is done making Knives Out movies, or any movie her wants to do next, many of the ST LFL leaders that he worked with - outside of the ones that actually left LFL and joined him at his own studio - will be gone. LFL has to start thinking what comes next for the movies. They need something big. Non-divisive, and will hook fans (and general audiences) into going. Something safe. That's not RJ.

So at the very least you need to look past the next 2-7 years, and more like 7-10 year time frame for any possibility at a RJ movie. And by then, SW could look very different and moved on entirely. Hell, they could be making EP 10-12 by that point.

14. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Something safe is absolutely the wrong way to jumpstart a new era of Star Wars movies. Audiences and critics are primed to sniff out another safe attempt after the uber-safeness of TFA. They need to surprise us with the next entry.

bstnsx704 and Darth_Bertie like this.
  15. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    They're not going to take those kinds of risks right now. They'll probably going to go with safe director, and safe story.

That's not to say it'll be a safe-retread story, like redoing ANH all over again, just something that might have equity in the franchise already, something the fandom knows about, and can immediately be excited about, like say the Old Republic or something. Certainly not whatever KK-RJ wanted to do with "explore another galaxy that we never saw before" type of thing.

Rogue Squadron was shelved for scheduling conflicts, but not even that movie was going to cut it. Something like what F&F are doing with Mando/Boba/Ahsoka, which already has building equity and excitement. That kind of 'safe' thing.

Jedi_Fenrir767 and 2Cleva like this.
  16. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    I think the overall issue with the fans who enjoyed TLJ is they want that to be Star Wars. And from a business standpoint, a path that led to roughly half your fanbase being not just upset, but feeling personally insulted, is not the way to go.

I think the safe thing to do would be to devise some sort of film trilogy for RJ that remains largely unconnected from the rest of the saga (let him tell some weird off shoot story that takes place between ROTJ and TFA) and see if there's any buzz about it and, more importantly, see what the box office is like. But don't let the story be some over-impactful "this is gonna change the way you see Star Wars" nonsense and just let it be a side story.

TLJ fans can easily have more of what they liked without it largely effecting everything else and then Disney can rake in the cash from that section of the fanbase as well.

I think the main issue with the RJ section of the fandom is they felt like RJ's vision should have become THE VISION at LFL and that's simply never going to happen.

PendragonM and mtt02263 like this.
  17. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Disney could do a SW version of the "Amazing Stories " tv show from the 80s. Where each week it's just another random weird SW tale. Give that to directors, test them out. RJ could do something really fun in that environment.

18. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    To the RJ fans in here. Is this something that would interest you; RJ directing television episodes of something? Or is it a whole trilogy or bust?

19. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    I'm not an RJ fan, but I think people need to get over movies vs tv thing. Yes...movies can be grander due to the screen size and theatre going experience, like for instance with Dune, but tv isn't lesser these days in terms of quality, scale, importance to culture.

Jedi_Fenrir767 and Bor Mullet like this.
  20. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    The safe thing for Disney to do is what they have - effectively kicked RJ to the curb.

Agreed.

Jedi_Fenrir767 likes this.
  21. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    I think the RJ fandom might be beyond that. I thinks it more of a RJ'S VISION NEEDS TO BE THE WAY LFL GOES or BUST situation. Keep in mind, I am in here asking for clarification.

Yeah, but D/LFL knows they can make some money off of a RJ movie. The dude does have fans.

Jedi_Fenrir767 likes this.
  22. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    For me as a RJ fan, i be dissapointed by him not doing a trilogy but i be ok with it if does tv shows or standalone movies for star wars. Like RJ have visited the set of Mandalorian and has shown interested in directing one.

godisawesome likes this.
  23. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    D/LFL doesn't care about just some money though. Disney makes their money of merchandise and licensing far more than box office - even before the pandemic. TLJ performed poorly in that area.

Many factors against RJ ever having another SW project but anything is possible.

24. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    If he's up for it, has the schedule for it, and F&F have a script that fits his strength (particularly if its a heist or mystery episode), I would get Johnson on that in a heartbeat.

Something like that could act to delight TLJ fans but also possibly cool some of the bad blood towards him as a creator among TLJ critics. And since I think it was his writing that caused the most consternation and caustic debate, giving him someone else's story to bring to life might circumvent that potential pitfall.

25. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Would he be up for directing someone else's story though?