main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rian Johnson (Director Of TLJ) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I don’t think the cinematography in his films is particularly notable.

2. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Now, I love both his Benoit Blanc movies, but I think there’s something that sort of explains the “anti-mystery” thing and why he might have been sort of “compelled” to apply a similar “avoid the audience predicting the ending at all costs” approach to TLJ.

Crime fiction has been dominated by juking and jiving on the audience since the early 20th century, at least; while the early generation of detective characters and procedural investigators were preoccupied by the initially straight-forward nature of deduction, the second generation naturally turned to plot twists, unreliable narrators, and high concept subversions of the formula in efforts to stand out from the old masters. Agatha Christie and Columbo are both the epitome of the “fair play whodunnit” beginning to contort itself into arguably dishonesty shapes for that effect, while one could argue that noir fiction was developed strictly for the drama of the reveal and subversions, “fair play” be damned.

Johnson is a follower of this second generation of crime fiction writers, and Knives Out and Glass Onion reflect that, though in different ways - KO mixes a Columbo “howdoyoucathem” with the whodunnit, while GO is really a satire disguising itself as a whodunnit, even to the extent of trying to convince the audience one actually clever murder within it should be classified as stupid for the sake of the satire. His other, non-mystery films are pretty much straight noirs - the mystery is gone, but the twists and reveals still remains, and are now the main attraction.

So… Johnson is someone who made his name (and now, post-TLJ, still primarily makes his name) by treating the audience as an opponent to be outfoxed.

Again, that works in crime fiction, but can only work in romantic escapism if accompanied by a desire to surprise the audience with something even more substantial than what they initially assumed - like how “Vader killed you father” becoming “Vader *is* your father” adds a lot to the story rather than just surprising people.

3. Darth_Ert

Darth_Ert Jedi Padawan

Oct 2, 2022
    David Mamet always believed (and credited Aristotle’s poetics for) the idea that a play or movie should aspire to have an ending that is simultaneously surprising *and* inevitable. So, surprise alone wouldn’t fit the prerequisite. It has to be a surprise which fits in perfectly with everything that came before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
    Darth PJ and godisawesome like this.
  4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Noteworthy for how bad it is, maybe, especially in TLJ. Take this scene on Crait. They really look like they're standing on a green screen floor, about twenty feet in front of a green screen wall.

[​IMG]

wobbits, Bor Mullet and PendragonM like this.
  5. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I think that holds especially true for mysteries, thrillers, and other tension-and-suspense-defined genres of fiction... though I think it also gets modified in importance, style and priorities for different genres, and can tilt more one way or another.

Comedy, for instance, works best with an ending that is surprising, but in a "punch-line" type of way, and can afford to simply have an inevitable ending. Similarly, tragedy can be defined by inevitability and avoid surprise if its doom-ful enough.

I think Johnson's shift from true mystery thriller in Knives Out to satirical comedy in Glass Onion changed the rules a bit; he could afford more inevitability and risk losing much of the surprise in GO that he'd had to compensate and conceal more in KO (thus the joke Honest Trailers made about a strong similarity between KO and GO's denouments).

...Of course, by the same token, I think he misjudged and botched TLJ by that rule; his story *does* mix inevitability and surprise, but in a purely meta-textual way that make sit non-workable. It's a meta-textual surprise that Rey's a nobody, Luke's a self-centered coward, Kylo is now the center of the film, but none of that actually flows form TFA, and the textual story frequently forsakes inevitability for surprise in a non-senseical manner.

Darth_Ert likes this.
  6. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    I saw nothing in TLJ that would lead me to seek out and watch any of RJ's other works.

wobbits and 2Cleva like this.
  7. Darth_Ert

Darth_Ert Jedi Padawan

Oct 2, 2022
    Do you generally seek out works because a particular director is attached?

8. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    Usually, it's the other way around - I avoid certain directors. But if I see, say, Speilberg attached, I'll take a closer look. But if Christopher Nolan is there, that's an automatic avoid. JJ Abrams, same.

wobbits, Darth_Ert and CT-867-5309 like this.
  9. Darth_Ert

Darth_Ert Jedi Padawan

Oct 2, 2022
    TLJ is actually an interesting an animal to me in this regard. In terms of surprise, it seems to be more notable for having surprises than for leading to a surprise. The closest I can think of to a surprise the story of TLJ lead to was Luke’s death. As for inevitability, I think it’s structured well enough as an individual movie to be able to look back on its events and make sense of it’s ending, but as a part of a large narrative with the other movies, I don’t quite know.

We ought to keep in mind, though, that TLJ is the middle act of that macro story and thus inevitability is not as urgent in that regard as it would be for a final act (which has the job of synthesizing acts 1 and 2 into a satisfying denouement). I think the real issue was that as part of a corporately-made series, TLJ laid on too much of a challenge in that regard. At the very minimum, you would need writing that was unsusceptible to studio meddling to pull off a satisfying follow-up to it.

Watcherwithin likes this.
  10. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Agreed. TLJ’s is particularly bad, with only a few exceptions on-location on Ahch-to. Cinematography in his other films, though, is generally better. Which makes me think he got a little overwhelmed by the VFX department, and wasn’t able to get his style to shine through. Not sure though. It’s a particularly ugly Star Wars film, in my view.
    What an odd question. I do. Why not? If I like a director, I tend to try to watch their films. If I don’t like a director, I tend to not seek out their films. This seems…quite reasonable.

11. Darth_Ert

Darth_Ert Jedi Padawan

Oct 2, 2022
    It is. I wasn’t trying to suggest anything negative about it, I was just interested in another perspective because I don’t usually do that. For me personally, the why not would be because almost every film director I’m aware of has made a movie or two that I didn’t like, so I’m inclined to give something else they did a once over. Generally speaking, I think the only thing that will put me off giving a movie a chance is bad word of mouth from others who have similar tastes. Otherwise, it could be an actor I like or screenwriter or subject matter that draws me in

Bor Mullet and godisawesome like this.
  12. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Oh, sure. My favorite directors have made movies I find clunkers too. But no matter what, I will watch them as the director's vision is similar to mine. Even their failures are interesting, in that context.

Darth PJ and Darth_Ert like this.
  13. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Yeah, Luke’s death seems to be the only thing that naturally flows from what came before… mostly; while it’s not as obnoxiously “treacherous” as the rest of the film’s surprises, it still comes off more like it’s “inevitable” strictly because we’re in a film desperate to argue a particular style of heroic drama should be exalted over the previous type the series had.

I mean, it’s not the Space Chase, where the “rules” and characterizations are changed from scene to scene so as to create expectations the film wants to then reject and mock the audience for having. It’s not Rey and Kylo’s confusingly contradictory story where she fro some reason suddenly becomes his enabling fangirl just so he can prove her wrong, become the main villain, but still be treated as though he’s tragic and someone we should still care about, to the extent fans of TLJ can’t agree whether he was being set up for damnation or redemption, or whether he was manipulating her or if they were genuinely both mistaken. And it’s not like the Finn story, overtly trying to tar and feather the character’s “Big Deal With the Resistance” evolution from TFA and punish people for liking him by making him a lazily-written liability to the heroes.

Luke’s story isn’t deceptive to the audience like that.

…But it does still pretend that this *particular* magic trick of his must kill him, even as Snoke is doing something very similar (nigh-identical) with no ill effects to himself, Rey, or Snoke, and when we’ve never seen a Force trick kill soemone before…

…Which is why even when I watched the movie the first time, and heard John Williams cue up an obviously bittersweet, mournful tune, I knew they were killing off Luke more because they didn’t want him to be conventionally heroic or mentoring to Rey, for fear it would overshadow TLJ’s insistence on a more “restrained”/pretentious type of “inspirational and mildly mythically dishonest” heroism.

Here, I’d have to disagree; if anything, I think true penultimate works have to be urgent and accelerate the story’s race up a clear escalation and rising action for the protagonists both internally and externally… and I think that TLJ is almost singularly useless or worse when it comes to doing so for Rey and Finn, and that it’s too confused and contradictory for Kylo as well… not to mention the way it doomed the Skywalker story as well, for which TLJ’s nature as a penultimate entry is even more magnified.

People can whine about the MCU, but Infinity War undoubtedly escalated things into a clear arc for the next film, much like The Two Towers, Back To The Future II, and of course The Empire Strikes Back and Attack of the Clones did. TLJ does nothing like that, and instead decelerates and even disengages the protagonists from central roles in personal arcs to define the story (Rey and Finn) or simply sets characters up to fail no matter where they go afterwards due to circumstance (Kylo.)

I don’t think there was a way to “synthesize” follow-up to TFA and TLJ that would be a satisfying follow-up; TLJ sabotaged the heroes and villains from TFA, doomed the family from the Lucas films to an ignominious, unimpressive end, and effectively eliminated compelling internal character arcs from the story.

Whether we want to call a “Saga film” corporate or cooperative, the idea is to build on what came before, to dig deeper, and strengthen everything - not to interrupt, mock, and leave adrift the story.

Now this? I 100% agree on.

Michael Bay has made a lot of crap movies… but he also directed The Rock, arguably a must watch for fans of action films, complicated villains, and Sean Connery.

Ridely Scott is usually a guarantee of quality… but has several misses under his belt as well.

I was lucky to watch Johnson’s film Brick before I saw TLJ - I knew what Johnson was capable of at his best and worst then. And now that I’ve seen his Benoit Blanc films, I’ve seen even greater peaks… even if when I watched Looper, I couldn’t avoid seeing some familiar weak spots to TLJ.

Darth_Ert likes this.
  14. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Did y’all watch Poker Face?

godisawesome likes this.
  15. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I'm too cheap to do so yet and don't have Peacock, but I will.

16. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I don't know if I can agree with the idea that Luke dying was a natural conclusion to what came before. While I don't see it as surprising, or subversive like so many other parts of the movie (I was almost taking bets on him just dying right there when we got to the end) I don't see anything inherent or set up in the prior 2 hours that necessitates his death. In fact, Yoda's last words seem to point at an entirely different conclusion for Luke. Almost all of Crait Luke is inconsistent with what Yoda tells him. It's inconsistent with the saga. With a Jedi being true to theirselves. Following their heart, etc. He's still not passing on his failures. He's barely admitting them. He's hiding behind the Legend again, under a fake mask, in order to troll and deceive his nephew, so that 12 people can sneak out of a cave. And I certainly don't get the feeling that RJ cared what Luke actually did when he 'returned' either. None of it felt like it foreshadowing a goodbye.

And the biggest part is that Luke didn't have to die. He chooses to, even though he is still needed to pass on what he learns and his failures. He dies alone. With no family around. And then Leia, who just spent the last 6 years trying to find him, to get him to join them, just shrugs.

17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Luke's death was totally out of left field for me. I didn't realize it was even happening until a few seconds before it did. It was so ridiculous and not even a cause of death. Because I knew Luke wasn't really on Crait the entire time, I knew that he wasn't in any real danger and that he wouldn't die. Until he suddenly did for no reason. It was a wtf just happened moment, and not in a good way. It still doesn't make sense on rewatch knowing that it's coming.

Can't say the same about Qui-Gon, Mace, Obi-Wan, Darth Vader, or even Han.

18. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Luke didn't even die because of Crait. The movie doesn't set it up, but I was still taking bets because at that point I was like "RJ is just screwing with us, so why not". lol. But Luke didn't die. Not from his injuries or from using too much force power. Luke decided to become one with the force, on his own. Cuz he decided his work was done.

And the worst part was, there was no ... 'and now he's more powerful than you can possibly imagine' theme. There's no sense that he believes he can help Rey and the Resistance more if he's a Force Ghost. Leia and Rey are like we don't need him anymore. And then TROS doubles down on this, and instead of - I dunno - making him more powerful and helpful, he's still stuck on Ahch-to. Why?!?!! lol. He's a ghost. He could go literally anywhere. And he's still stuck on the damn planet away from anyone. He's just there to give Rey a bumbling pep talk about something that JJ clearly doesn't understand. He doesn't even answer anything important either, even in a expositional sense, like OWK does with Luke in ROTJ.

His becoming one with the force is totally and completely wasted.

19. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    This is what I mean by how I could kind of tell he was going to die more for creative philosophy reasons than narrative or character-based reasons; because the film was trying to argue that its style of drama was inherently superior to "conventional" Star Wars heroism, it was going to try and prove it/embrace its insecurity and protect it by having Luke taken off the board to reinforce it's point... but also prevent it from being overshadowed by the next film.

TLJ is deeply, fanatically convinced that Luke will be more "realistically inspiring" if the audience knows he doesn't exactly match the "legend" of his character, if he's more self-centered, and if his moment of "greatness" in TLJ is a more metaphorical one- combined, of course, with the film vehemently decrying romanticism and the idea of epic heroism, the traditional creative philosophy of Star Wars...The problem, of course, is that this is Luke Skywalker, who WAS an epically heroic character with both real substantial heroic acts and more emotionally charged metaphorical victories that are probably too idealistic for Johnson to stand.

You can tell that while Johnson wants to treat *his* Luke more seriously and consistently than the other characters, but it *his* Luke, not the already recognized one - Johnson clearly views the OT Luke as a juvenile construction that can't be believed in, as being too "flawless" and too accomplished in traditionally heroic actions for too traditionally heroic reasons. At the same time, though, Johnson knows that audiences around the world find Luke a 3-dimensional character and an awesome escapist character in spite of how he sees that's a weakness.

So TLJ has this very passionate but highly insecure drive to "prove" that a more self-centered Luke, with more banal motivations, and with less impressive victories, is more valuable to culture and art... and you can't do that if he shows up in the next film as Rey's teacher, training her to be the hero, and then leading her and others against Kylo, being a selfless hero all the way, because it would "disprove" Johnson (or maybe more accurately, the school of creative thought he's representing here) point.

So Luke dies so that Johnson can try to cement his more self-centered heroism over a more idealized version. It has nothing to do with narrative, and everything to do with style and philosophy.

The cynical, self-centered type of heroism Johnson is pushing cannot abide it's opposite's existence.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
  20. Darth_Ert

Darth_Ert Jedi Padawan

Oct 2, 2022
    I think Luke’s death came closest in my mind to being the most inevitable aspect to that ending because of what might be best communicated as the famous “redemption=death” trope. Though TLJ Luke hadn’t turned evil per se, or in the same sense as Vader and Kylo, his abandonment of his friends needed serious redemption. And however successful or unsuccessful, strong or weak, one might feel the movies’s attempt at redemption was handled, the trope still seems to apply.

And the trope itself, independently of it’s application in some movies, seems a narrative response to the important question: what is more valuable? “Good” stemming from naive innocence? Or “Good” stemming from
    redemptive wisdom and strength? A person who has no idea what evil they may be capable of or a person who is intimately familiar with their dark side and must now act to counter it? The trope seems to respond to these questions by presenting Death as either punishment in the first case or as a cleansing mechanism in the second (where the soul can be freed from the return of temptation)

godisawesome likes this.
  21. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    During the force skype Kylo Ren at first thinks Rey is projecting herself into where he is and he says that can't be because it would kill her to do that. So yeah the idea is set up with Luke. Luke does it and manages to survive long enough. Which is probably to show how strong he is that he could go as long as he did. but ultimately it does kill him because i guess it its too dangerous of an ability

22. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Yeah, I think that’s sort of what Johnson is thinking - albeit while also going out of his way to reject a more substantial redemption accomplished in a more material fashion as well, and then exalting his more “restrained” idea of a redemptive death as well.

The way his film poo-poos more overtly successful heroic acts in the narrative plays a part in why it can seem like it doesn’t fit the narrative to have Luke die here as his redemption - Han being killed while successfully compromising Starkiller Base after his own “failure” gets ignored, and any positive ramifications of that even arguably get “cancelled” by TLJ, which seems to make “death” too anemic for metaphorical redemption.

…But with Luke, doing infinitely less after a greater failure is supposed to be held up as the beacon the Galaxy needs.

I think Johnson sort of confused the issue by shifting between a rejection of romanticism with most of the cast and conflict (“rejection” here meaning something more determined and opposed than a deconstruction) while still, with Kylo and Luke, openly embracing mythic storytelling in his own style.

The narrative and thematic rules for most of the film don’t align with the narrative and the stoic rules applied to Kylo and Luke.

Case in point…
    …yes, this is foreshadowing, but it’s foreshadowing the film ignores when it reveals Snoke is behind the phenomena Kylo is observing and diagnosing as fatal, making the “cost” of such powers and their associated derivations patently arbitrary.

Luke will die from the move because Johnson wants him to die, but Snoke will not because Johnson doesn’t want him to.

You can tell it’s an after-the-fact foreshadowing to the script Johnson made when he’d decided Luke should die already, and a “rule” he feels no particular reason to honor when it doesn’t connect to that decision… much like the rest of TLJ’s conflict and dialogue.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  23. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Snoke doesn't die from it because he only bridged the minds of the Dyad which was strong enough to survive just about anything - just like Rian and JJ always planned it =D=

24. Darth_Ert

Darth_Ert Jedi Padawan

Oct 2, 2022
    The inclusion of what seems to me to be uncharitable assumptions about the director’s intentions and process in this discussion are interesting.

Watcherwithin likes this.
  25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I still need to see Glass Onion

godisawesome likes this.