main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rian Johnson (Director Of TLJ) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

1. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    One other thing to bear in mind is that Mark was well aware of where George had wanted to take the story. They had talked about the trilogy and what Luke's part in it would be and judging by what we know, it was pretty much in line with what most of us had expected; a natural continuation of Luke's journey that someone like Rian would probably deem too predictable but that would also be just right for a trilogy about rebuilding the galaxy, which is what George had in mind.
    So naturally, that's the Luke that Mark had expected to play; the Luke that both he and the creator of the Saga felt comfortable with.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
  2. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I think Mark Hamill is just exceedingly diplomatic and professional... He wasn't in a position where he couldn't do anything but say 'well I suppose it's your vision Rian and I'll respect you for that'...

I suspect that originally, Luke was always envisaged as being more in the role of what we got with Han in TFA i.e. the sage guide/mentor, but once KK et al got involved, Luke was relegated in favour of Han/Ford.

3. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    ****ing Kathleen Kennedy :mad:

4. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    I personally think KK was on board with anything that felt exciting/lucrative at that point, including GL's story. Reportedly, it was Michael Arndt who found it difficult to write a script where Luke wouldn't overshadow the new protagonist.
    Perhaps there was a growing concern between Kathy, Bob Iger and other executives that the proposed story would be risky, but honestly, I think the arrival of Abrams was the final and largest nail in the coffin of George's treatment. If a different director had been hired, someone who was passionate about the trilogy George wanted them to do, I really think they would've done it.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think she wanted a female empowerment “the Force is female” story and at the same time really wanted Adam Driver in a very anti feminist “Byronic hero” role, and the latter superseded the former, and Johnson was only concerned with the latter.

Then LFL tried to reconcile the two with ‘well a woman falling for a Byronic hero *is* feminist because it is a traditional story for a female character, you are just supposed to view it as beautiful instead of toxic!’

…which made some of us feel like we were taking crazy pills.

6. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I'm very suspicious of the claim that they couldn't get past Luke Skywalker in those early drafts... I mean, they settled on Han Solo, and Harrison pretty much dominates every scene he's in. I think this was all about their preferences and whom they, DLF/Kennedy, thought would be the biggest box office draw for a returning character... and that was Han Solo/Harrison Ford...

StoneRiver and Force Smuggler like this.
  7. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Well, fair enough. I mean, you'd think Luke Skywalker would be more attractive to them since he's arguably the most famous fantasy movie hero of all time, but they may also have locked in on the idea to tease us for a whole movie while treating us to some Harrison Ford along the way because they simply considered it a reasonable long-term plan once it had been suggested.

godisawesome likes this.
  8. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    To her credit, I think you *can* tell a story with a female empowerment story *and* a Byronic antihero, but you’re exactly right that the Byronic antihero is commonly used with a lot of sexist tropes; you’d probably do better by either removing any romantic interest aspect to Kylo at all, or even just giving him another romantic interest to work with, where you could maybe even have a female foil to Rey to deconstruct some of the unhealthy toxic elements. It’s the combination of putting Rey into a very conventional sexist support role to Kylo that completely undermines and basically “deletes” the female empowerment story, even on a “we need a functioning protagonist” level.

…Which is why it is KK’s fault that she neither became a Rey advocate herself nor put anyone in charge of that role; it does no good to make a marketing, “demographic-expanding move” like pushing a female main character if you won’t be personally involved in seeing it through, since the only reason to make a “demographic-expanding move” is if you suspect you’re missing out on potential audience members because your franchise isn’t calibrated for them already.

Johnson, I would argue, seems to sort of be getting that a bit on his Knifes Out and Glass Onion films now, even though he was stunningly ignorant and exploitive of Rey in TLJ. TLJ was “supposed” to be his first film with a female protagonist above everyone else, and he seemed to try and hammer that into his more usual formula of focusing on sad white guys.

With the Benoit Blanc movies, he finally seemed to realize that his previous protagonists, self-centered white guy anti-heroes, could easily be excellent villains opposed by non-white and female protagonists, albeit he still muddles the issue a bit with Benoit Blanc as the Star uniting the films. I’m kind for curious if there might be some quiet self-valuation going on behind that, or if he still has some denial about how TLJ shook out…

The weird thing is that the closest ST film to the Benoit Blanc movies is TFA, the film that TLJ tried to sort of retcon into something completely different.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  9. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    Along with whose less than bright idea it was to never reunite Luke, Han and Leia onscreen, I'd like to know whose idea it was to not put Luke and Han together on screen. Probably the same person who panicked at having Finn and Poe together in a scene....

The whole idea of breaking everyone up and then having them reunite throughout the film is so unbelievably stupid. There is no other word for it. It doesn't even lend itself to a good story structure!

10. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Kasdan and Abrams are on record (during production of TFA) as stating that Han Solo was their ‘favourite SW character’… and Harrison Ford is one of the biggest Hollywood stars of his generation (and still is a big star). I mean Harrison Ford reprising his role for TFA is a much bigger news story than Hamill (sorry Mark)… and it worked.

I don’t think it’s a stretch to determine that Han’s/Ford’s inclusion was both a personal and financial preference, rather than a choice about what was best for the story. And I think that goes to the heart of the issue I.e. no one had a grasp (seemingly) of what the story for the ST should have been. There wasn’t a coherent and consistent vision. Which is why the ST ends up being a derivative set of disconnected action and character sequences, punctuated by cameos of the OT gang.

PendragonM and Watcherwithin like this.
  11. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    I'm not saying it's a stretch, or that you're wrong. I'm just saying that in the Star Wars context, Luke is the biggest star. Han being their favorite and Harrison being a huge movie star was probably a big part of it, but I also think they saw something in the whole "let's make Luke more mythical/mysterious before putting the spotlight on him" approach. It made him seem even greater and more important in a way. At the time, it certainly made me excited.

12. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I agree that this is possible... and I understand (whilst not agreeing with) the principle of one OT legacy character per ST film. However, I think that further speaks to the lack of overall direction and foresight... as given Luke Skywalker's huge significance to the narrative of the OT, then he really needs to be front and centre of how the ST is established, and how the new leads are introduced. I mean, if they'd just reversed that approach (similar to what that've done with the Willow TV series) i.e. you have Luke called into the quest at the start of the ST, with Han or Leia being the ones missing in action, then you can still have an element of 'mystery', but Luke's place in the ST is much more organic and able to underpin the ST structurally (even if they decided to kill him off in TFA a la Obi-Wan in ANH). Luke absence in TFA creates a substantial emotional and structural vacuum in the ST IMO... which never gets filled satisfactorily. Even a Luke/Kylo duel at the end of TFA (instead of Rey) reduces some of the gaps in logic issues in TFA.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
    PendragonM and Lulu Mars like this.
  13. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Agreed. Unexpected things needed to happen, but handling those characters this way wasn't the way to go, I feel. This trilogy was to be primarily focused on the new generation and going to such extreme lengths not to draw too much attention to Luke and his friends kind of had the opposite effect.
    They should've just been there doing their thing, like it was just another episode in the series. A solid, comfortable, natural foundation for the new generation to get started on. From there, the story could have gone in any direction

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
    Watcherwithin likes this.
  14. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    What I find really surprising, given the plan (we assume) for multiple live action films, is why DLF just didn’t plan for two distinct trilogies rather than putting all their eggs in a single, hole ridden basket. They could have had the first trilogy, focusing on (but not exclusively) what Luke, Leia and Han were doing in terms of establishing and running the New Republic, the New Jedi Order etc. These films could have introduced the new characters, with Ben Solo as Luke’s Padawan, Snoke as the leader of an opposition pro Empire territory, and whatever the new big galactic ‘conflict’ was going to be. This then serves as the ‘prequel’ to another trilogy, which then deals with the all new characters Rey, Poe, Finn and Kylo Ren.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  15. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I don't find it surprising that they didn't have that much foresight, especially since they immediately made it clear they were in a rush to pay off the four billion dollars they spent to acquire LFL. There was also Harrison's, Carrie's, and Mark's ages to consider. It would have been a much better structure, however. After TFA came out I realized it needed a between trilogy, after I saw that TFA didn't even come close or even bother to function as that.

Darth PJ and PendragonM like this.
  16. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Imagine if they had the opportunity to go back in time and redo it all, knowing what they know now. It would be very interesting to have a peek at that alternate timeline...

17. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I think they also viewed the skywalker saga as constrictive. They wanted freedom to tell their own new stories without having to worry about Luke Skywalker. And while theT knew they had to make a ST - they were ready to move beyond the saga as soon as the ink dried on the contract.

18. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    Then why haven’t they told any new stories set after the sequel trilogy

godisawesome likes this.
  19. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    And now those key people left and the people in charge want to tell more Skywalker stories and have digitally recreated Luke Skywalker.

Can't wait for LFL to be candid about the future of SW. Maybe Celebration.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
    PendragonM likes this.
  20. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    ummm. Because that was 2014. TLJ and TROS (not to mention Solo) weren’t well received enough. They have no idea what to do now.

21. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    I think if they had any ideas for new stories they would be using them, regardless of the critical reception of the sequel trilogy. Lucasfilm is still making more Star Wars movies and TV shows. I’m just saying I doubt the motivation behind the decisions with the sequel trilogy was because they had ambitions for a new story,

I see no evidence any of the authors of the ST were even interested in Star Wars without the OT characters

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
    godisawesome likes this.
  22. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I agree on that… albeit, I think that LFL screwed up the situation by being so disinterested in the new ST characters even when they did hit with people, outside of Kylo, whose death likely ended LFL’s interest in the era.

By prioritizing Ben Solo over the other ST characters, and at their expense, and in general being so apathetic about them that they could tell some comic writers to create a Poe comic with a TFA-based personality the next film would immediately ignore, they sort of destroyed the era’s excitement for anyone who wasn’t Ben… and Ben was going to die.

This is why, even though I know you’re going to disagree with this, I have to say that the “new” versions of Rey, Finn, Poe, Hux and even the favored Kylo created by TLJ were poor compared to both their TFA versions and to other alternatives Johnson could have pursued, even following his “Ben-first” policy.

And thus, making the changes they did was more harmful than good.

And one of the things that makes me think that, yeah, Johnson maybe have been “stylistically insecure” about Ben and against Finn is that, clearly, Finn being an altruistic, likable, charismatic character with a backstory and current premise that makes him a more classic, conventional hero makes him a more useful and filled with potential compared to a subdued, restrained, self-centered type of amoral protagonist in Kylo/Ben.

…And I kind of think the same thing happened to Rey. And Poe. And yeah, even Luke.

So when the subdued, restrained, and self-centered amoral protagonist is dead, and what we’re left with is a Finn who still clearly has a lot of potential and a Rey who needs rehabilitation against the bad effects of Kylo, LFL couldn’t care less for Finn and probably still has some vicious denial about what they let Johnson do to their main character… and after both characters were popular and successful.

23. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    They have ideas for new movies. They've chosen to shelve them indefinitely. Every single project director is on something else. It's all vague. There's nothing in production right now.

Because they have no clue what to actually do movie-wise. TV wise they're experimenting and tossing out whatever comes. They came into this arrogant. They thought they knew what they were doing. Put out the saga and start pumping out 2 movies a year. RO did well, but I don't think they knew what they had until Andor was a huge success. Solo bombed, for many reasons. The ST was a mixed bag at best that almost killed the franchise. It blew up in their faces. And now, they're being extra cautious (movie-wise)

24. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Yeah… but I also think the sheer lack of other expanded universe material with the ST also show as difference between that era and the others. LFL still has no problem making OT and PT-based stories, or their own High Republic idea. But they have no ideas for the ST characters once Ben’s in the ground.

Def Trooper and 2Cleva like this.
  25. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Or they do have an idea and the Lego series that shipped them off to sea was their choice.