main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rian Johnson (Director Of TLJ) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

1. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    Which is the same thing the EU did for a long time. They had Imperial warlords who were knock offs of Vader and Dark Empire bringing back Palpatine. Hence why I say Lucafilm always had an issue with post-Empire stories. They’ve always been hesitant to move on to new designs and conflicts

godisawesome likes this.
  2. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    It’s sort of fascinating to look back at how the EU approached Imperial remnants, largely because by the time it was all said and done, you could tell that “Competent, practical, and ruthless” was the only real way to make the idea stick… and thus why eventually the Zahn and Stackpole characters and ideas (Thrawn, Fel, etc.) wound up being the de facto standard other Imperial characters were measured by… and mostly found lacking.

Remember how Karen Traviss tried repackaging Admiral Daala for a hot second as a serious character, long after she’d been driven into the ground from an already shaky premise? That didn’t exactly work out well…

Watcherwithin likes this.
  3. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    This has no real meaning, to me. Regurgitation of regurgitation. Their not using creativity, to me, is their issue, irregardless of some comic or so doing it first. Didn't they say they didn't have a source material or something?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
  4. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I mean, if you're going to use existing iconography, that's the way to repurpose it IMO... and I'm sure Lucas would have done something similar to that. He would have had the New Republic in all the 'shiny shiny' and the Imperial remnants in all the dregs.

DarkGingerJedi likes this.
  5. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    This Rian Johnson guy knows how to set up and executive produce a TV show. Poker Face keeps knocking out aces.

Give this guy a from the ground up Star Wars trilogy or Star Wars TV show. Let the haters hate and ignore the show. They’ll come around to it later. It will be for the betterment of everyone.

Do yourselves a favor and check out Poker Face. It’s a fun TV show that stands out from everything else on right now. It’s so off beat and different.

i think we’ll see a ton of copy cats a year or two from now. But by that point Poker Face will be concluded or changed into something else.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Eh, if LFL wants him to make a Star Wars movie with his own original characters, that’s fine. If the subject and era is interesting to me, I will watch.

In TLJ I mainly resented being told that the way I have always viewed Star Wars, the OT characters, and the Skywalkers in general needed “improvement” or was supposed to change.

7. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    $10 bucks one of these ideas was his idea for a SW trilogy, and he's just taking the SW out of it.

TBH, despite saying otherwise, he doesn't seem all that into Star Wars. He seems more into telling a message about what SW means, or should mean to its fans.

8. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    No.

I don’t see how this show could be Star Wars. It’s like a riff on Knives Out because it’s the same genre. Even then it’s different.

It amazing how well Johnson can set up new characters in under an hour that feel complete. The actors guest starring seem to love the roles too. The mischievous fun everyone has his infectious.

9. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Main character who can tell people are lying (force sensitivity) goes around the galaxy in their beaten up starship solving mysteries? Every episode/movie is a cast of new aliens. New mystery.

You don't see how easily that could be Star Wars?

godisawesome likes this.
  10. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I think I’d argue that Poker Face is an excellent example, like the Benoit Blanc movies, of how Johnson does better with smaller stakes that he takes seriously, and where the characters are *his* characters, shaped by the dramatic rules *he* sets up for the story. I also think that Charlie’s ability to detect lies is likely more just a shortcut storytelling tool that lets him cut to what he sees as the main appeal of crime fictions, where problem solving and deductions occur.

I can see his experience on Star Wars encouraging him to come up with her her lie detector ability… although I’d point out that TLJ’s use of the Force is almost the exact opposite of the hyper-sensitive social skill Charlie’s power is, and that the extreme focus on human drama and details in his other films and Poker Face is also absent from TLJ, which is a very broad, illogical, apathetic and archetype heavy. Like, yes, Poker Face’s premise would work great as Star Wars premise… but I don’t know if Johnson knows that or would want to do it.

He really, really loves “Evil is Banal” as a central theme, and he really, really wants a more cynical world to work in - and that’s something that could and does work in other Star Wars fiction, in Andor, Rogue One, and even parts of the Prequels, OT, and other D+ shows. But it doesn’t work in TLJ, because Johnson can’t treat the characters as humans and the conflicts as tragedies for whatever reason.

So I think it’s more likely that, if Poker Face is based off some Star Wars adjacent ideas he’s had, it’s more liable to be upon further reflection and maybe even a realization of some of TLJ’s weaknesses… but that, by the same token, the critical evaluation required for that connection is unlikely, since I think that Johnson and TLJ fans know the film sort of falls apart if held to the same standards as his other work, and it relies upon a sort “This is escapist fantasy, rules don’t apply here and the characters are simple and are not all equal, and death doesn’t matter.”

Like, Jed from Poker Face’s second episode is exactly how Kylo should be written towards Rey, but even worse because he’s worse, and Charlie’s horrified reaction to hearing what her old lady friends were planning to do to a bunch of stranger kids when they were younger should be Rey’s reaction to hearing about the Hut incident, but even worse because Kylo followed through on it, Charlie’s reaction anger and vindictiveness at her friends being killed or hurt should be Rey’s reaction to what happened to Finn, etc.

If/When Johnson does more Star Wars, he has to hold himself to his usual standards and not go “I don’t have to work that hard because it’s fantasy for children.”

11. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Having watched TLJ again, RJ has much better comedic timing than JJ, though worse taste in humor, but unfortunately he has the same problem as Marvel movies, he undercuts all tension with humor at inappropriate moments.

The opening battle had potential, but starting it and the whole movie with class clowning just kills all tension. It sets a really bad tone. Even BB8's repair work is a joke. R2's repairs weren't jokes, they were desperately needed. He saved the day. It made him a real hero. Remember when they got back to celebrate and R2 was ****ing wrecked? That used to make me tear up as a kid. It was real. There's nothing real about these movies, they're all jokes. There are other problems, the same problem of making everything too easy for Poe, with him single-handledly destroying all the cannons himself making the accomplishment trivial, and it's too bad, because RJ still gets these battles much better than JJ does. His camera work is much better, the angles are better, the cockpit looks great, the use of Skywalker Sound is better, but he self-sabotages, and there's a lot of stupidity to the logic of his battles.

George wasn't an insecure, emotionally immature goof who felt the need to constantly crack jokes to make people like him. I wish there were more adults like him directing movies these days.

After starting the opening battle with clowning, we go to more misplaced humor, this time edgy Luke tossing the lightsaber, and it effectively kills the entire movie. The tone set is so horrible it's basically unrecoverable.

12. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    RJ’s doesn’t trust his drama. It’s like he puts an LOL at the end of every sentence as if to say “kidding!”

13. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    He can and generally is serious about the drama in his murder shows and stories...

But he seems to struggle consistently with scale and weight outside of his main cast, especially in contrast to other Star Wars creators. Andor, for instance, is probably the epitome of "Horrible stuff is happening off screen, and you need to regard that just as seriously as what's visible on screen" - but the rest of the films, even the more juvenile ones, are much closer to Andor than to TLJ on that scale.

It's why I think that, yeah, he clearly would probably handle himself much better with a Star Wars story with scale and stakes comparable to Poker Face - criminals and single murderers with a limited number of victims - but he almost seemed to be "shaken off" taking even on-screen crimes seriously in TLJ because of how horrific stuff was supposed to be.

It's like there's a barrier around his cast where, as long as everything stays within it, he can handle the horror and sorrow very well... but if the horror and sorrow is supposed to extend beyond the barrier, he has trouble taking any of it seriously for longer than a little bit.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  14. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    This speaks to something missing in the entire ST, and that is probably most apparent in TLJ i.e. the lack of earnestness. It goes all the way back to that opening scene in TFA between Kylo and Poe, with Poe just taking the *** out of Kylo "who talks first?", "it's very hard to understand you" etc. (can you imagine anyone talking to Vader or Dooku like that in the OT and PT respectively?)... it's all so meta and self-referential that none of the films have any dramatic weight or tension to them at all (sans maybe the Han/Kylo scene).

15. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    For whatever reason, Poe sure seemed to get stuck with a lot of the worst lines.

PendragonM likes this.
  16. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I guess I'm going to repeat more **** we've already said.

Despite always hating Kylo's cheap Vader cosplayer design, I really didn't like the whole scene of Snoke mocking it and then Kylo smashing his helmet. I mean, I wish JJ hadn't gone the cheap knockoff route, but he did, and RJ's little lesson robbed the character of the thing that made his design unique and left him a very generic looking villain. He's no longer a Star Wars villain after that, he's generic.

RJ also threw out the importance of Luke and the saber in one moment, took Rey's agency from her, turned Poe into a misogynist for no reason, and jettisoned Finn. He wasn't just killing the past, he was also killing everything from TFA.

Going scorched earth like that in the middle of the trilogy basically should have killed his career, it certainly killed Ep 9, but there's no accounting for taste.

I've seen others mention something about it, though I haven't looked into it myself, but I can guess that he didn't think of it as killing everything from TFA, but as fixing it and making it better.

Reminds me of Stan Lee crushing a kid's Batmobile on The Simpsons.

17. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    It's basically right out of Spaceballs. Seriously. Look at this scene and tell me this isn't RJ's version of Kylo and Snoke.

"Never have that... thing down in front of me. How I do I know you're not making faces at me under that thing?"
    [​IMG]

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The Spaceballs comparison is apt given that Kylo’s reason for turning can be boiled down to ‘good is dumb’.

And that’s the most benign take, when people are not extrapolating nonsense about Han and Leia being terrible parents and Luke being a terrible uncle.

19. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    The ST would have been better served if Kylo were more a ‘henchman’ type villain, similar to Maul in TPM or Vader in ANH. Unmasking him relatively early in TFA, and having him be Han and Leia’s disgruntled son has absolutely no tangible benefit to TFA, or the overarching story… and only served to weigh the characters and situations down and paint them into a corner. Even with Abrams coming back for TROS, they were unable to extricate themselves from the creative vacuum that was Kylo Ren = Ben Solo, and what that actually meant for the wider story and the inter-personal dynamics on show.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2023
  20. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
  21. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    You haters (whom I love so much) are going to love to hate this week’s Poker Face. A fictionalized Kathleen Kennedy is the villain. Nick Nolte plays a fictionalized Phil Tippet. It’s some great stuff. You’ll love hating this. Trust me. Xoxo.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2023
  22. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    And if someone dislikes TLJ, why does this mean that this will automatically appeal to them? And does disliking TLJ make someone a hater?

23. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    If it was a choice between watching Rian Johnson's latest or a marathon of C-Span, I think I'd be catching up on what my congressperson is doing...

RetropME, Nobody145, wobbits and 2 others like this.
  24. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Or, alternatively we'll love loving it if we watch it - because yet again, it's a story that has more respect for its characters and dramatic stakes than TLJ does, as TLJ remains the outlier in Johnson's catalogue as the only story from him to mock its own stakes and disrespect its characters, and remains the shallowest of his stuff.

Again, as both a compliment to Johnson and as a critique, he seems to be totally comfortable and an expert in the tragedy of one, two, or three deaths in his crime fiction, but seemed unable to grapple with even singular crimes in TLJ because Kylo, his preferred protagonist, was the killer, and because Johnson's idea for him was as a metaphor for adolescence not as a killer, and because he seemed unable to write a war movie well, for some odd reason.

...Also, Johnson has been the producer only for all but the first two episodes of Poker Face thus far; this last one was actually a story and directing effort form Natasha Lyonne herself, with Alice Ju helping with the writing. This is NOT to say he deserves no credit for the episode, but what credit he deserves is that of a producer, which could mean greater involvement or less involvement, we don't know yet.

Now, I also want to do this compliment and critique about the first two episodes, where Johnson wrote and directed the first and directed the second; both are probably my favorite from the show in terms of the tension and blend of character work with mystery storytelling, and both make me hyped for the next two episodes, because he's writing one and directing the other.

But both also have excellent entitled jerk characters who arguably "prove" that A) Johnson is quite capable of making a topical type of entitled, creepy badguy and doing it very freakin' well, and B) we can stop pretending he was trying to do that with Kylo, and was likely trying to do the opposite, in fact, and C) that its a problem that Kylo is objectively a worse human being with motivations no better than Sterling Jr. or Jed, but Johnson couldn't muster up enough empathy or intellectual perspective to have Rey react to Kylo the way Charlie, Sara or other characters react to Jr. and Jed.

I'd add that the excellently menacing and mundanely effective Cliff reminds me a bit of TFA's Hux in contrast to TLJ's version of the character; I think Bratt and Gleason both played their characters as quietly menacing professionals, but Johnson joined others in missing that about Gleason's TFA performance for some reason, and went Snidely Whiplash with him.

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    My issues with Johnson are:

Gratuitous and over the top images and scenes designed to do nothing other than shock people.

Lectures on how who we view as a hero or how we watch Star Wars is “wrong.”

The crass elevation of Kylo Ren at the expense of other characters, the absurd notion that “we can all relate” to him (or even that we should be able to) and the belief that of course the “young woman” would view him as romance material. It feels like gaslighting at worst, and at best, an assertion that certain people can do whatever they want and still be viewed as Not Really Evil, as long as they come from the right family and have enough privilege. Johnson’s narrative (to be fair not exclusively his) around Kylo is the GFFA equivalent of the ‘What about how sad he is that he can’t swim competitively anymore?’ narrative around Brock Turner.