main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rian Johnson (Director Of TLJ) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

1. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    So, if Rey had been a Skywalker, Snoke had been the major villain in the entire ST, and the end had been Luke and Rey restarting the Jedi on Coruscant, would you have enjoyed it just as much as the ST we got? Or would that have put you into the hater thread?

I am asking because if you are going to enjoy Star Wars no matter what, if all they have to do is blare the trumpets, then why not let others who aren’t enjoying the story air our complaints without trying to convince us we are wrong?

2. Obironsolo

Obironsolo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    For forty years I thought I would love any SW movie no matter what, then RJ proved me wrong.

3. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    Same here. I was fully on board until TLJ. I even went into TFA thinking I would hate it, and the movie won me over.

4. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    If they hadn’t delivered some aspect of a grandparental reveal for Rey related to one of Anakin’s 2 masters, allowing for a connection that was interesting but didn’t make Rey & Ben blood relatives, I would have been disappointed about that aspect of the story but there would still be other wonderful aspects to the trilogy beyond what I’d hoped for to enjoy. Undoubtedly, the fact that the primary dynamic went in a direction that I found interesting, and the Luke arc was something closer to what I’d have tried if I was writing/directing his episode, helps me a lot. When one enjoys two is the more controversial aspects it makes it a lot easier to suspend disbelief.

Ben-Solo and Iron_lord like this.
  5. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I think RJ's intentions were good and the critics went nuts for TLJ but they took art over heart ,

What bothers me is RJ didn't take anything Mark Hamill said about the character , if I was directing EP8 ( god forbid ) the first thing I would have said to Mark Hamill Is how would you see Luke in this situation , how would he play it ?

TOASTEROVEN, RetropME, Mange and 3 others like this.
  6. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    After seeing Knives Out, I think Rian Johnson is too good to continue with Disney (and whatever creative constraints his corporate overlords would want to impose). I'd much rather see more original content from RJ.

TOASTEROVEN and Miles Lodson like this.
  7. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Rian Johnson is up for the best original screenwriting award today at the Golden Globes. Tons of competition in the category but should be fun to see him out there tonight for those of us who are fans and appreciate his work on The Last Jedi.

Eternal_Jedi, Ben-Solo and MarcJordan like this.
  8. ImpKnight

ImpKnight Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2008
    If that is the angle needed to keep him away from Star Wars, I'm all in.

You go, Rian!

Seriously, go. Git!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  9. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    I’m very torn. Part of me wishes he’d been offered a trilogy right after Knives Out as his first work because the excitement would have been perfect to then setup his own thing and people would be more willing to give his own trilogy a chance since it would be entirely his own story and likely more original than the ST was.

The other part of me is so thankful that he came in when he did to rescue the ST via TLJ and make one of my favorite Star Wars films and change the course of the ST forever via Reylo and ensuring Luke wasn’t her father and setting up Poe’s leadership arc and getting rid of a wannabe Sidious, which allowed the much better real thing to return with a tie to Rey.

I suppose one in hand is better than 2 in the bush so I’m thankful for what he was able to do and the trilogy I love.

10. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Rian Johnson’s next film will be Knives Out 2 according to the Hollywood Reporter.

Mr. Forest likes this.
  11. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    Wasn't the wannabe Sidious in reality Sidious himself, just using an apparently cloned vessel ?

12. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Absolutely but had Johnson not killed him I doubt we get that or the real Sidious back.

Ben-Solo and MarcJordan like this.
  13. Gerak

Gerak Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 23, 2019
    JJ should swoop in and direct Knives Out 2 just to spite RJ.

It boggles my mind that people will defend garbage if the garbage is unexpected. TFA was the only good film in the ST.

If Rian hadn't sabotaged the entire trilogy perhaps Snoke could have been developed into a fantastic villain. Sideous was a direct consequence of Rian's petty meddling via TLJ

Def Trooper and Darth Damo like this.
  14. nilzo antonio

Dec 31, 2015
    But if Snoke was Sidious why would you believe that a some point he wouldn't reveal himself ?
    And BTW, who's The Last Jedi to wich Ep. 8 referred to ?

15. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    I believe there is a link in Snoke’s “Give me.....EVERYTHING” (in the presence of Kylo Ren) with Kylo’s “What can you give me?” to Palpatine answering “EVERYTHING” .
    MJ

16. ImpKnight

ImpKnight Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Yeah, as of December 18th, 2019.

17. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    wut

18. moonjump05

moonjump05 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 14, 2013
    The Last Jedi was amazing- how I wish RJ came back to direct TRoS!

rihrey, ReyKenobi, milena and 2 others like this.
  19. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Jason Ward hinted that Michelle Rejwan chose JJ Abrams over him.

20. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Shocking intel.

21. DominusNovus

DominusNovus Jedi Master star 3

Dec 27, 2017
    Because the person that refuses to go with her is Luke frigging Skywalker.

Gerak likes this.
  22. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    Yeah I agree we need to let go of this narrative of shocking your audience vs telling a story that makes sense nothing in the last Jedi makes sense nothing now I can enjoy the Rey and kylo dynamic but only because of the rise of skywalker!! I enjoy the st minus the last Jedi there were some great acting moments but the story!! And the choices I can’t I don’t know why people defend this or say it’s the direction Star Wars needed. I’m glad palp came back that was a genius way of solving the mess rian left, but I know rian didn’t plan that he would have made the enemy war itself which is not Star Wars and I don’t want that in my star wars movies.

Gerak and Darth Damo like this.
  23. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    I respect Johnson’s ambition, but he was not a good fit for Star Wars at all. I hope he sticks with his own films from now on.

24. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Because what the poster is suggesting I believe is that plot wise, the inclusion of Palpatine in TROS was only as a result of Snoke being killed off in the previous instalment.

TOASTEROVEN, Gerak and Darth Damo like this.
  25. nilzo antonio

Dec 31, 2015
    I know, but i wanna find out how could anyone believe in such thing.
    Also, he never answered, if Leia was indeed a Jedi, with training and even a lightsaber, who was the last Jedi ? See Luke died but there were anothar one ( Leia). Then what the sense of his speech to Kylo about not being the last Jedi ? And how could Kylo not know his mom wasa Jedi herself ?
    I'm not a fan of TROS but i wanna showcase how the movie basicly canceled TLJ in its entirety, something IMHO truly bizarre.

Mostly Handless likes this.