main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rian Johnson (Director Of TLJ) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

1. Gerak

Gerak Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 23, 2019
    The derailment began when Rian Johnson was seemingly given free reign by Kathleen Kennedy and the rest of the Lucasfilm story group to ruin the set up TFA concluded on and spend the overwhelming majority of the film meandering about. You're putting more thought onto this movie than the directors themselves. RotS had the unenviable task of cleaning up Lucasfilms'/Rian Johnsons's mess

2. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    TROS built off of VIII in ways one of VIII’s biggest fans (me) expected to come next while providing just enough fan service moments to make some of the angriest fans feel that their complaints with VIII had been addressed. When you can deliver a film with broadstrokes story beat ideas that a huge VIII fan like me thought was the next logical step while also delivering an ending that makes some VIII haters feel like all of VIII was retconned that’s an accomplishment of epic proportions.

3. Vicarious Fan

Vicarious Fan Jedi Master star 3

Jul 1, 2013
    except there was no mess to clean up.

4. Gerak

Gerak Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 23, 2019
    Haters? Anyone had the most sedate of criticism of TLJ was labeled a hater by art house contrarians. Believe it not just because some people refuse to die on a hill defending Rian Johnson’s bad fanfic doesn’t mean they’re “haters”. I’m sorry you have such a binary view of things

5. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    yes there was [face_laugh]

6. indydefense

indydefense Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    JJ sabotaged the trilogy with TFA. He undid everything accomplished from 1-6. Snoke was a stupid character who should've never existed to begin with. He was nothing more than a poor man's Emperor.

7. insideguy

insideguy Jedi Padawan star 2

Dec 22, 2019
    I am no expert. But RJ is the director. And yes he hired writers. But I mean there are ultimately people who approve this that are higher up. Someone could have said look man RJ we love you but you can't go this direction right now. I mean a lot of directors and other creative people have to be reigned in. Ultimately if you don't like what RJ and I respect that aren't the producers and Disney at least as much to blame? Possibly more?

Mostly Handless likes this.
  8. Darth Damo

Darth Damo Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 18, 1999
    [/QUOTE]I am no expert. But RJ is the director. And yes he hired writers. But I mean there are ultimately people who approve this that are higher up. Someone could have said look man RJ we love you but you can't go this direction right now. I mean a lot of directors and other creative people have to be reigned in. Ultimately if you don't like what RJ and I respect that aren't the producers and Disney at least as much to blame? Possibly more?[/QUOTE]

RJ had total control over writing and directing the movie. He owns this...

Can any of the people who enjoyed the movie have a go at plugging some of the huge plot holes instead of just saying that it's all make believe?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    TOASTEROVEN, Jedi_Fenrir767 and Gerak like this.
  9. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I agree with this and it’s why I’m not against Rian coming back, (not that Disney gives a crap about my opinion) but it would be somewhat interesting to see what RJ could cook up without having to deal with a hack like Abrams setting him up.

10. indydefense

indydefense Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    I've always wondered why they didn't give him the Boba Fett movie. It would've been right up his alley. (Although I generally like TLJ, I can see how the Canto Bight sequence is a bit iffy, and I suspect that he had a hard time making a movie without including some element of crime or a criminal underworld.)

11. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    I don't know how I feel. One the one hand, I do think RJ could have and maybe should have done a better job following up on the threads and characterization as presented in TFA and that maybe would have made the trilogy stronger.

On the other hand....RJ did exactly what LFL told him to do. They wanted three different voices for each part of the trilogy. They wanted him to come up with the story and write the script. So he did. RJ was hired to make his own story, not follow JJ's outlines. He's a filmmaker and it's a lot to ask for him to just capitulate to a story he doesn't necessarily like or agree with. Plus he made the (IMO) most highly regarded film of the trilogy.

I see the irony in this, but I wish he had been able to write the outline for IX as was originally rumored way back before TLJ was out. Though JJ would have been well within his rights to toss that too lol

Another thing that I don't think gets discussed enough is that no one knew JJ was coming back. Everyone thought a third voice was going to finish it, rendering JJ's plans for the sequels even more irrelevant. If JJ had been back for IX since the beginning, I definitely think there would be a stronger case for RJ needing to fall more in line with his vision.

IDK. Whether you think JJ or RJ is more responsible for how the trilogy turned out seems to come down to taste. But I guess we can all agree it was really Disney's fault for lack of planning

12. Vicarious Fan

Jul 1, 2013
    the canto bight scene feels the least like Rian and the most like Disney saying you need to have a scene with wacky aliens. Just like Maz's castle in TFA and the gambling scenes in Solo. I mean it's the most star wars thing in the movies just like the Cantnia scene or Jaba's Palace

13. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    As much as I like the visuals in Canto Bight, that plot is the weakest in the movie. I appreciate that it showed some new things--the costs of war and those who profit from it but it went on too long. Having said that, it also isn't that long. If they had trimmed some of the detention and escape, it would have been less a detour.

14. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    For my first post in this particular thread, let me start by saying that I don’t have any problem with Rian Johnson the Director for TLJ. He did a great job there, and to be honest, I trust the man overall enough that I still want to see his own Star Wars Trilogy.

But I do feel like Rian Johnson the writer had a very bad day and maybe showed a huge weakness he has when working outside his comfort zone and has too much on his own plate - he tried hammering the characters and storyline elements of TFA into his usual formula, which wound up working or very badly, because he was aligning Kylo Ren with his preferred “angsty Byronic anti-hero” lead archetype, and thus misplaced Finn *and* Rey while trying to pound that square peg into the wrong round hole.

Make no mistake: there were major vulnerabilities and weaknesses in the setup left by TFA by Abrams and Kasdan... But there were also some very significant strengths that Johnson undercut and damaged, and several weaknesses he didn’t actually address, and in fact exacerbated as a writer.

Rey had *limited* options for what her parentage could be and still fit into the story, and the Skywalkers were kind of screwed with Kylo as the only grandkid of Anakin, and everyone could tell what the conventional story for TFA’s sequel would have likely been. Johnson reacted against that... but provided very little to compensate for the clear strength of those maneuvers, and redirected the series from being “The Adventures of Rey and Finn” into “The Adventures of The Guy Who Could Be Ben Solo! and also his waifu, and maybe that ex-Stormtrooper dude....”

“...But right after I pause this trilogy at its most critical point for the overwrought and melodramatic epilogue to Luke Skywalker’s story first, then kill him off, too.”

As a writer, he wasted Luke’s screentime with Rey, wasted Finn’s final confrontation with Phasma, stalled Kylo’s “Villain's Journey,” and created the poisonous Reylo story that wound up derailing Rey’s character, even if he was trying to reject itbat the end, because he had to say it was possible first. He also managed to so defang the First Order that Hux became a joke and they were pathetic Saturday Morning cartoon villains who’s incompetence was only matched by a Resistance so stupid that Johnson had them acting like the fictional lemming even as he tried to emphasize them as Rebels with a literal renaming.

The best moves he made for the overall Sequel Trilogy was in killing off Snoke, and in casting KMT... but he also sabotaged his own efforts because Kylo didn’t become a more imposing villain and Rose wound up being wasted by a bad storyline.

Having said all that... TROS screwing up even more at times is its own dang fault. It ignored the setup for Kylo as the overall villain, totally ignored Rose, and wound up codifying the worst parts of Reylo and ignoring Johnson’s ending to it.

But some of TROS’s issues were created by seeing nothing but salted earth in every direction because of TFA limiting the farmable land and TLJ picking the most infertile spot for planting, and because Johnson planted a poison fruit called Reylo in the garden.

15. Vicarious Fan

Jul 1, 2013
    wait... you are blaming Ryan for Reylo? are you serous? Reylos started back in TFA

TOASTEROVEN and Cave of Erised like this.
  16. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Rian Johnson had to go directly against the grain and contradict the events and intuitive emotional payoff of TFA to establish the possibility for Reylo as something LFL would actually look at for his story, when TFA most emphatically *did not* tell that kind of story; if anything TFA salted the earth for the possibility with the things Kylo did to Rey, and the only moment that could be seen as even vaguely pro-reylo for Rey (her reaction to seeing Kylo's face) is both highly dubious in that regard,a nd takes place before he does all the things that make her rightly declare him a monster. TLJ was the first film to actually try and crowbar in a pro-Kylo view for Rey. TFA also, coincidentally, plays much more as a setup for a FinnRey story, if we're using "shipper" designations here.

He also ensured that the type of Reylo that the ST went with was the poisonous and abusive subplot that it became because of his lax perusal of how Rey would view Kylo from his pro-Kylo perspective, and the flaws and issues that plague the relationship in TROS are entirely the result of *his* ideas about Rey, Kylo, and how he thought they would naturally interact. Reylo didn't have to be abusive, or dependent on shallow writing for both characters... but Johnson so ignored what had happened to Rey and how she would likely to react, and based her attraction to "Ben" on so little, and expanded so little on what Kylo/Ben's character was, that there was no basis for why she would be attracted to this violent and vile monster, but he made it happen anyway. Whether he wanted to eventually have it rejected by Rey or not doesn't forestall the fact he created it in the first place, largely from whole cloth.

Reylo shippers existed since TFA because all that shippers need to get started is an attractive pair of actors and enough like-minded individuals to speculate for fun in that direction. there's nothing wrong with that aspect of fandom when its under control. But there's also nothing wrong with noting that they had no "canon" foundation for their ship until TLJ introduced it, and introduced it in a cancerous form.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  17. Cave of Erised

Cave of Erised Jedi Knight star 2

May 3, 2018
    The TFA bridal carry was canon. JJ Abrams called Ben a prince. The ship was born out of interest in their dynamic as shown on screen, not just because two actors were hot. That is just passive aggressive dismissal of fans of romance (guess who the majority of that is?) without being blatantly sexist.

NileQT87 and Vicarious Fan like this.
  18. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Darth-Seldon likes this.
  19. Vicarious Fan

Jul 1, 2013
    yeah i'm not sure you know how shipping works. Also there is nothing in TLJ that showed there had to be a romance between the two. The decision to have them kiss and fall in love was all JJ.

JJ wanted to apeal to as many people as possible and he saw this as one way to do it.

Do you really think that they never planed on redeeming Kylo?? This is Star Wars it's all about redeeming.

Cave of Erised likes this.
  20. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I think it's going to Tarantino this year.

There was *some* interest in Reylo before TLJ, but it was an extreme, peripheral minority, and pretending otherwise is just careless revisionism. The VAST majority of speculation was that Rey was either Luke's daughter or Han/Leia's daughter and Kylo's sister. It's not sexist to acknowledge this basic fact, lol.

My impression is that even most of the folks who eventually endorsed the idea of Rey Random and Reylo after TLJ never seriously anticipated it. They fell in love with Johnson's subversions after the fact and their backwards looking dot-connecting in TFA was more an effort to rationalize what they'd been given than part of some consistent interpretation.

godisawesome likes this.
  21. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Man, if you didn't see the romance in TLJ... I dunno what to say. That scene where they touch hands through the Force is the hottest thing we ever saw in Star Wars. And when Kylo slices Snoke in half, and they turn and fight the guards, it was Reylo against the world. And when she has to reject him, and he thinks SHE'S the one who's holding on? Some of y'all missed the movie.

NileQT87 likes this.
  22. Cave of Erised

Cave of Erised Jedi Knight star 2

May 3, 2018
    @Glitterstimm I made no comment regarding majorities, which can be wrong BTW. It’s poor conversation to say people ship something solely because their hormones like the way the actors look. John and Daisy are just as aesthetically pleasing, yet FinnRey shippers don’t seem to suffer the claim that they only like it because Daisy and John are good looking.

RJ saw hints of Reylo in TFA and expanded it in the next story. This is how fiction works; you move from the point you started. He also had Rey shut the falcon door. JJ could have easily left it at that; he was not painted into a corner. However, he chose to continue to examine their bond, arguably the bond he hinted in TFA with the infamous “I feel it too.”

TOASTEROVEN and Vicarious Fan like this.
  23. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Let me be clear about this: I do not intend to be passive aggressive about Reylo fans. I want to be actively aggressive against what the ST’s Reylo storyline became, which is trash, but not towards the first fans to postulate about the idea for fun, or those who joined them as time went on. I was identifying what I believed was the most common denominator for *all* ‘shipping before it becomes canon, the process shared not just by Reylo and FinnRey, but also by those fans who ship Kylo and Hux or who even ship characters in Star Wars with characters from other franchises. I do not intend to be sexist, and in fact am a guy who would argue that TLJ wound up being sexist (and leaning in a misogynist sense rather than a misandrist sense, for the record)... but I will confess that since I am a *guy,* I can’t claim authority there, and can only offer up my arguments.

Having said all that...

I believe we both have seen the argument of “bridal carry” vs “monster carry,” so we both know what the counterargument against bridal carry is and how that argument plays out. I’m glad that we both know when Abrams called the character Driver was playing a “prince”... and thus the scene it took place in

But we also both know that Rey was unconscious and an unwilling object of the carry, and we also both know that the scene that Abrams dropped the “prince” line on in commentary is followed by a torture scene and a series of further crimes which ends with Rey declaring Kylo “a monster!” and crying over the loss of one friend and the near certain death of another friend.

The characters *do* have a dynamic on screen in TFA. It’s an antagonistic and violent one of conflict, with 100% well earned and righteous hostility alone on Rey’s side. And Rey’s side of the dynamic is what matters here. Kylo is a villain; villains naturally experience base desires and lusts, so him being interested in Rey means nothing forthe Reylo ideas purpose, because it takes two characters to form a romantic relationship. Without it, it’s just stalker behavior... and it’s no coincidence that the best verb for Kylo following after Rey and Finn with nefarious intentions at the end of TFA is... “stalk.”

TFA was simply not a Reylo film when it was made... and trying to configure it as such in hindsight is driving the ‘ship right into a tsunami of the very unfortunate implications that it can’t really address int he other two films.
    I’ll restate that I was identifying what I usually see as the most common denominator in ‘shipping pre-canonization. I could be wrong there... but I need to see a more convincing argument that the more beneficial and fruitful ‘shipping catalysts of chemistry and foreshadowing were in TFA. As long as the only real beneficial ‘shipping catalyst, outside of looks, was “because enemy to lover stories are a thing and that would be cool,” I’m still going to point out that it was an outlier interpretation after TFA... and was born far more from TLJ.

Arguing that there is nothing in TLJ that showed there “had” to be a romance between Rey and Kylo is missing the point of my argument: TLJ’s mistake and cancerous addition to the ST, and the fatal flaw it inserted that wound up sabotaging the Reylo story of the ST into trash, was arguing that Reylo could happen - while *these* were the facts, and with nothing else to counteract them:

- Everything Kylo does or has done towards Rey is dangerous, violent, manipulative, or callous towards her safety.
    - The severity of Kylo’s crimes against Rey needs to be restated, because they’re extraordinarily invasive, painful, and traumatizing; to ignore the psychological impact of them is a mistake all it’s own.
    - Everything Rey *knows* about Kylo is evil or vile; she’s not even privy to the scenes the audience witnesses of Kylo at his most conflicted.
    - Even everything Rey learns about Kylo in TLJ is a net liability towards her being sympathetic towards him; for all the sympathy points his sense of betrayal at Luke thinking about killing him brings... its countered by the way the films seem to have him confirm he murdered the other students right afterwards. (Yes, we now have the white washing in the comics to identify... but Rey never learned any of that.)
    - Neither Rey nor Kylo know each other well enough to tell that Kylo wants to stay in the dark side and embrace tyranny, while Rey.. doesn’t. That is a pathetically low bar to clear for characters’ understanding each other... and TLJ has them both fail to clear it.

...And yet TLJ is the film arguing that, even with all that and only that, Rey could *definitely* be susceptible to whatever pathetic equivalent Kylo has to “charms.” [face_waiting]

TFA *did not * create this hypothesis that Rey could be attracted to Kylo. If anything it acted against it...

Abrams is totally at fault for allowing it to take over TROS is totally his fault.

But the idea it could happen lays at Johnson’s feet.

Oh no, I totally thought they planned to redeem Kylo, even when I was a Rey Skywalker theorist... in fact, especially, since a “two point swing” was the best way I saw to have the Skywalker legacy swing away from the damage Kylo’s fall had caused.

The fact it was a cruddy redemption that assumed far more audience sympathy for Kylo/Ben and refused to actually developed or explain either side of the character to a credible extent? That’s on both Abrams and Johnson. Abrams basically painted Kylo into the most loathsome corner he could and only barely hinted that Ben could exist... then Johnson chose to portray that loathsome scum as being sympathetic to Rey and didn’t expand on his motivations and acted as though Kylo/Ben didn’t need any such expansion... then Abrams came in, recognized he wasn’t sympathetic enough, but put a mere bandaid on the gaping wound, exposing the flaws in the entire setup.
    Again... please note that “I feel it too” is during a torture scene. Someone can want to read romanctin overtures into that, but it’s a bad, bad place to go looking for it, like the rest of TFA. Seeing it a story a fruitful foundation was a bad decision on Johnson’s part and exacerbated the weaknesses in his writing.

Though also again, Abrams could have left the door shut, especially since the door seemed to have been built only so it could be shut.

But I’d argue TLJ probably damaged Rey enough thanks to its teasing of Reylo and rejection of Rey Related that LFL thought they needed it to make her story worthwhile. Rian Johnson sabotaged the main heroine in the second film, and no one at LFL had the will to really fix her.

24. Gerak

Gerak Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 23, 2019
    A Reylo storyline would have worked if Rey failed to save Kylo and instead defected to the First Order to rule as his Empress/consort. Such a twist would have actually subverted expectations for the better rather than Rian just being another petty and vindictive to JJ for telling a better story in TFA.
    Or if an entirely different version of TFA existed where Kylo wasn’t introduced slaughtering a whole village and the extent to which his parents and Luke failed him was explained far earlier.

25. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    This Reylo story worked well as-is for many of us.

JeanNo likes this.