main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Rian Johnson helming new Star Wars Trilogy!!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Nov 9, 2017.

1. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    RJ said in the past he wants to make one more movie before he goes back nito star wars agian, so he could make both before star wars, Taike, and others make thier movies and in 2027 10 years after TLJ seems like a good move, soe time has past since then.

Cynda, BigAl6ft6 and Sinrebirth like this.
  2. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I didn't even know about the Peacock series. Good for him.

So the extremely rough "schedule" that's starting to take shape, assuming no cancelations and everyone's films stay on track, may look something like: Rogue Squadron in 2023, the Taika Waititi movie, the Kevin Feige movie, and then the RJ trilogy sometime later in the decade after the others. 2027 or even later probably isn't unreasonable.

That's a long way off, but it's not like we'll be lacking in Star Wars content until then. And while I have yet to be convinced Disney cares even a smidge about placating the vocal TLJ haters, from a "fan who likes to talk Star Wars with other fans" perspective it's probably a good thing that we have more time for passions to cool before the trilogy happens. So that's good. No matter what, it's safe to say the future holds some pretty exciting stuff!

3. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I honestly won't trust that any of these upcoming films are coming out until I hear that they're actually filming them.

4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Be fair now, Patty Jenkins walked towards an X-Wing and everything! I'm 90% certain that one is happening at least.

Golbolco and PimpBacca like this.
  5. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    The UK is doing pretty good with is vaccination program, I could see it happening. Unless patty decides to leave and do the next Woman instead.

6. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    To be honest this doesn't really excite me a I just wish somethilot. More X-wings and X-wings and X-wings with red lasers. I feel that certain parts are still stuck doing things and coming out with things in a certain way and any attempt to innovate is going to be met with resistance. I just wish something more catchy were coming out.

7. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I mean, X-Wings are been there, done that, but look at how everyone thought Alphabet Squadron was going to be "X-Wing books, but canon" and it turned out completely different. All we know is that it's going to be a film about Rogue Squadron. They could go anywhere with that. And who knows what the timeline even is. Imagine OT-era Rogue Squadron with Luke and Wedge. Or a post-TROS film where we have no idea what's going to happen because the future is completely unwritten. A pre-TFA but post-FO story could be cool too, sort of the same time period as the Resistance cartoon but not as cartoony. A lot of options here.

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I would think the three best option would be post-ROTJ (show an on-screen POV of the Battle of Jakku), pre-TFA (original tale not dealing with "vs the Empire/First Order") or post-ROS (open waters). And, given the T-65 is the only indication we've been given in the title art and promo video, it could go in any of them (though, obviously, the later you o in the timeline, the weirder using a T-65 gets).

9. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I think it's Sequel Era for a number on Reasons

The Post ROTJ Endor (Jakku and what not) is being handled by the TV side of things (Mandoverse)

Can't do the OT since Lucasfilm doesn't wanna recast and for this to happen you have to recast Wedge, Luke, and some others since Rogue Squadron is a thing in the OT Comics. (Unless they don't care about the comics anymore)

So Sequel Era is the most viable (Post ROS or during the ST era) because it means the less overlap and stepping on other projects toes.

10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Stepping on other projects toes? Like that ever mattered.

Slater and Daneira like this.
  11. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Well I still stand by that the ST Era or Post TROS seems to be the only logical area anyway consider everything else has stuff going on.

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  12. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I post ST era as this is standalone we could see the cleaning up of enemy forces, we see the beginning of a new era with new republic goverment and rumblings of new jedi, maybe 10 years later, it's still achaotic galaxy with firs order enemies around hidden and crime syndicates trying to take power. Corucant is covered in crime and gangs, So this move could see the beginning of an MCU movie take moving forward, no trilogies only movies that connect post ST, Taika's and Feige's could be apart of that.

13. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Disney threw out contracts for new Star Wars projects like Oprah gave away cars.

"You get a Stars Wars film...and YOU get a Star Wars film...and YOU get a Star Wars film..."

Feels like if anyone got a modicum of favorable coverage for a movie in the last 5 or 6 years, we hear that Disney has tacked them to the franchise.

Now, in truth, Hollywood has long worked this way behind the scenes...but there were also many MANY projects that never got to production, despite filmmakers and studios on board.

But these days, with internet intrusion...we have a world counting Episode 15 as already filmed and in the can, when I would be shocked if we get more then 2 Star Wars theatrical films in the next decade.

I expect a great many of these "films" to end up abandoned or modified.

Rogue Squadron...the ongoing adventures of a team of pilots. That screams "streaming show" to me over a 2 hour one and done.

As for Rian Johnson...I think if his projects continue to succeed, he may not have much need to come back around to Star Wars, and by the time he may want to, the studio may have moved on. I think he's got ambitions for his own visions...and coming back to Star Wars and it's structures...and this fanbase...yeah...I think people talk off the cuff answers to pressed questions, and politically non-descriptive twits...er, tweets...as blood oaths, rather then a reactive sentence so a microphone is pulled back as they climb in a car.

Nom von Anor and Daneira like this.
  14. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I hope Rian Johnson’s trilogy can capture the magic of Star Wars because there are rumors that it could be as good and worthy as the classic trilogy.

Even if the trilogy doesn’t pull that off, it doesn’t mean it still can’t be awesome.

15. JediFett10

JediFett10 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 8, 2008
    ‘Star Wars’: The Rebellion Will Be Televised
    https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywoo...&utm_brand=vanity-fair&utm_social-type=earned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
  17. PimpBacca

Oct 4, 2015

Still sounds like it’s happening.

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Urgh, unless its in an entirely new era, he should keep doing Knives Out stories - those work far better for him.

JediFett10, Xammer and Vialco like this.
  19. PimpBacca

Oct 4, 2015
    I personally believe he’s going to pick up with Rey post episode 9 or he’s going to do a High Republic trilogy.

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    No. Nothing with any connection to existing stories - he's a liability. If anyone could kill my interest in and enjoyment of High Republic, it'd be Johnson.

AusStig and Golbolco like this.
  21. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    It would break my heart if he was finished.

The Positive Fan likes this.
  22. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Let him do the Old Republic.

23. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    No particular news here, but additional confirmation that Ryan's trilogy is still on is always welcome. It's still the upcoming project I'm most excited for, be it post-Ep9 or High Republic or something else entirely. (The whole 1,000 years ago / Jedi-Sith War / foundation of the Galactic Republic story would be suitably epic for a trilogy, and would probably fit his sensibilities nicely.)

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Curious as to how that's a good fit for him.

Knives Out convinced me that he's better at smaller, more contained tales. Murder mystery is perfect for him.

A SW murder mystery? Could work, so long as it's not the butler, with a secret Sith past, killing off a Jedi.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2022
    Darth Caliban and Golbolco like this.
  25. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004