main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Rian Johnson helming new Star Wars Trilogy!!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Nov 9, 2017.

1. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    I do this for free.

Some Like it Hutt
    Wet Hutt American Summer
    Hutt Tub Time Machine

Boom! Box office gold!

Cat on a Hutt Tin Roof, Hutt Shots, Hutt Shots: Part Deux and Zorba the Hutt's Revenge would also be acceptable titles.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

Gamiel and Kylun like this.
  2. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    One of the great things about setting a new trilogy about ancient jedi is that it can lead to plenty of new literature fleshing out a new era. Could even lead to a tv series.

Also it would give us things that in a way were sadly lacking in the ST. Before the ST came to be, with Legends introducing a NJO and Episode 6 named "Return of the Jedi", the idea of a return to the last jedi concept wasn't on my mind. I wanted to see a generation of Jedi far removed from the horrors of order 66, with a hopeful future instead. See how they differed from the PT jedi. A government (New Republic) that showed more competence against evil forces then what we got.

But if Star Wars: Ancient Jedi

happens, we can be presented with similarities.

A generation of jedi long before order 66. A period where a human jedi can die of old age amongst friends. Even in dark times, the jedi will survive for a LONG time, them having a hope for more generations to come. Instead of merely being like PT jedi using ancient tech. We could see a Jedi order with differences, even amongest themselves. Im not talking about differences that are the reasons why a jedi fall to the darkside. Plenty of that already in legends and canon. It would be cool to see jedi coexisting with contrary beliefs. Sure they got strong common ground, but still differ on certain beliefs. What if during an ancient period, Jedi disagreed with each other about whether a jedi should partake in romance. Nice to see a Jedi be in a great relationship, while unlike Anakin stays committed to the light.

With a "new" generation of jedi, their can also be a government quite different then the New Republic, perhaps this time one that runs better against evil forces (with improved military). Could be a version of the Old Republic, or the "good guy" factions that preceded the OR and could have played a role in its 1st incarnation.

Ewan Tibbetts and BookExogorth like this.
  3. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I'd actually be interested in a story where the Good Jedi are the antagonists. Not villains, per se, but we have so many stories that follow Jedi characters I'd actually be pretty interested in getting some distance from them and watching them do their jobs in their heyday from the wrong side of the transaction. A story about a smuggler, maybe, who's in over their head and on the run from both sides of a conflict. (The main Jedi will, probably, wind up joining forces with our protagonist in the end.)

Ghost likes this.
  4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Jedi... have sort of gotten the fuzzy end of the lollipop though. Most of the old EU's Old Republic Jedi were either rotten or misguided, and then the same eventually happened to the post-ROTJ gang. Like I guess if your protagonist just happened to be on the other side and the Jedi weren't idiot misguided sots like the Old Republic crowd is often portrayed as, it might work. But right now I'm sick of seeing the Jedi on the wrong side all the time.

5. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I think my favorite example of a Jedi is Chirrut who is not even really a Jedi.

6. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Basically, yeah.

starfish likes this.
  7. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Still disappointed he didn't disappear into the Force upon his death.

8. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    that’s what happens in my head canon

BobaMatt likes this.
  9. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I thought they would be more excitement for this news but , its been I don't know maybe bland? There's also no news about a third anthology, so is Han Solo the only one they are doing.

10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    We just need more details. It's being on a spaceship going in one direction, and then told we're going to go colonize a newly-discovered planet, without being told if it's a tropical paradise or a hellstorm of insanity. A bit of an exaggeration, but I think most people are cautiously optimistic. We're also the Lit forum.

kalzeth likes this.
  11. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    When will it stop?

12. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    When will what stop? The movies? Not until they are unable to make about 200 million domestically anymore. And since we know that isn't going to happen in many of our lifetimes we might as well get used to Star Wars going on forever. People just got used to Star Wars being run by an introvert who was more interested in creating new experimental projects than expanding on the multi billion dollar franchise he created.

13. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    300 million domestic seems to be the water mark that studios try to meet these days.

And I'm not sure. You can over saturate a market. Also, it only takes one bad film to sour people.

14. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    While true. However you need to remember that the Marvel movies are cranking stuff out even more rapidly than Star Wars is and after a decade it seems to be just as popular as ever. And Star Wars is an even deeper loved franchise than the MCU is that is capable of even bigger box office grosses.

15. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    And besides, they're still aiming for variety within the franchise, first with the Anthologies and now this new trilogy -- which I assume will be in place of simply moving straight on to Episode X. An unending series of Saga films might outstay its welcome quickly, but as long as they continue to change it up I'm game.

16. ForcePushUp

ForcePushUp Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 19, 2016
    I said it in another thread and I'll say it here.

Lucasfilm must be super happy with Last Jedi if they trusted RJ with his own freaking trilogy.

Hoping for some Old Republic reenvisioning here. That'd be great!

kalzeth likes this.
  17. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Apparently the original cut of TLJ was over 3 hours, they cut over 20 minutes of deleted scenes.

18. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002

[​IMG]

Kylun likes this.
  19. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I’m remembering a moment from a book, maybe it was Shadows of Mindor, where Han calls some woman “sister” like he always does and she goes “I’m not your sister!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BobaMatt likes this.
  20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  21. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Interesting that Rian mentions playing KOTOR when it came out. This might be the first time we've had a director stating they've actually read/played/viewed an EU work and enjoy and appreciate it, as opposed to before like JJ Abrams acting like it's this foreign thing he's barely heard of-- https://dorksideoftheforce.com/2015/12/10/j-j-abrams-talks-expanded-universe-and-the-force-awakens/ , downplaying it: "It wasn’t even clear what is canon in the Expanded Universe." and saying that most fans hadn't even read it (ignoring a lot of fans have heard of it if they didn't read it) and assuming this correlates to decreased interest.

I'll go out and say that far more people have read a Star Wars EU work than read an Ant-Man comic book, yet Ant-Man still did well in theaters.

Obviously no one expected TFA to be the Dark Nest Trilogy, but it just felt like there was this anti-EU vibe in JJ's interviews as opposed to an appreciation of the body of work that kept SW alive in the 90s. I'm glad to see Rian bucking this trend and openly saying he liked and appreciated KOTOR, even though we now know Rian won't be covering the Old Republic.

I noticed this trend in JJ's Star Trek interviews in 2009 as well--stating he made it for "fans of movies" and that no one needed previous knowledge of Trek to view it and said over and over that he was not a "Trek fan"--then made a film so reliant on future Spock etc that my friend from China who had no Trek exposure was completely lost.

22. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Not recreating KoToR makes sense, but if the trilogy isn't within an old republic era or pre-republic/sith period, I would be greatly disappointed. After all the first war between jedi and darksiders (perhaps also creation of the 1st Republic) is a story worth making for a new trilogy.

We already have various canon references to periods 1000+yrs before TPM. From the 1st jedi temple in TLJ, kylo's saber, Sith controlled Coruscant/shrine, Malachor, Korriban, Mandalorian Wars, Darth Bane.

He can take Old Republic themes such as ancient jedi and a ancient Republic, and create his own spin on the far distant past while not copying KoToR/ToR (or DoTJ).

I hope this recant information from him still means that a distant prequel trilogy is still a possibility.

Im tired if getting films about the last days of the Jedi order and the near extinction they faced in the tales afterwards.

Creating a story not connected to the Skywalkers legacy is the perfect opportunity to see the jedi order at higher points in their lifetime. While also giving us darksiders that go beyond pars of two (dark jedi, or ancient non-human darksiders, early sith).

kalzeth likes this.
  23. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    We'll probably find out Rian Johnson is secretly a Mandalorian nut who keeps fan-made armor at home and speaks fluent Mando'a, and we're now going to get a Mandalorian trilogy. :boba: :p

WMIRTUTSF, revan772 and kalzeth like this.
  24. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    He didn't say it's not Hutts...

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

25. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    He didn't say it's not Mount Sorrow either.

WMIRTUTSF, revan772 and Jeff_Ferguson like this.